• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love |OT| We've all been there (Apatow, Gillian Jacobs, Paul Rust) Netflix Feb 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkBeard

Watching the first episode. Pretty hilarious so far.

"I want you to be true to yourself!"

"You want me to be true? Okay. I want you to fucking die. In a car crash or by a disease."

How is this compared to those Master of None episodes with the girlfriend? I liked those episodes.

Anyone know about this?

Nothing like Master Of None. There are some sweet moments in this but
things turn out ugly quick.

In terms of nudity, some boobs show up on the first episode. The rest of the episodes so far have sex scenes where they are mostly clothed or when they are naked there are no nipples or had more intimate parts on show.

Mugiwara

Neo Member
Through 4 episodes. Kind of wish Gus wasn't so pathetic or such a pushover. Hoping that changes as the season progresses.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Watched the first three. It's alright. I feel like it should be funnier since the story scenarios have been seen a million times before.

Apatow's daughter really couldn't handle the acting that Ep 3 called for. That was rough.

neshcom

Banned
Finished the season. First show in a while that I barreled through a whole season in a day.

What I love about this is the moments when it decides not to be a romantic comedy movie. The day-in-the-life moments when two characters aren't just talkin about the other main character really shine and allow for more building of Gus and Mickey as people.

The one weird quirk I have with it is the balance of Gus and Mickey's central problems. Gus exists to be the bottleneck of the two while Mickey is basically all the emotional baggage. Mickey is dealing with her addictions and Gus's problems are almost always weird timing things and being the annoying nice guy (and no one has given him that straight).

I'm rooting for both of the mains, but there isn't a way they actually stay together long term.

Alastor3

Yeah guys, for everyone who stopped at episode 1 like myself, I didn't want to continue because it was a reaaaly slow start but episode 2 is really good, great chemistry

Izuna

Banned
That watering cactus line had me laughing so much. This is a brilliant show, I love it. It's like the funniest parts of Piper's ex BF turned into a show.

Finished the season. First show in a while that I barreled through a whole season in a day.

What I love about this is the moments when it decides not to be a romantic comedy movie. The day-in-the-life moments when two characters aren't just talkin about the other main character really shine and allow for more building of Gus and Mickey as people.

The one weird quirk I have with it is the balance of Gus and Mickey's central problems. Gus exists to be the bottleneck of the two while Mickey is basically all the emotional baggage. Mickey is dealing with her addictions and Gus's problems are almost always weird timing things and being the annoying nice guy (and no one has given him that straight).

I'm rooting for both of the mains, but there isn't a way they actually stay together long term.

I don't buy Gus being a nice guy, he is an huge asshole. He behaved like an idiot on the date with Bettie, he chases Mickey for a while but as soon as they start dating, he makes a big deal of showing her around. Case and point, the scene after they have sex for the first time where Mickey clearly wants to stay in bed and order a pizza, giving them a chance to be intimate and really hang out (which they haven't really done besides the very first time they met) but Gus makes them go out and when given the opportunity to choose her outfit, he chooses something that makes her look hot but is not hot at all.
On the magic castle, he doesn't stand up to security guards on the whole jacket thing when it was completely reasonable for her to wear his jacket. He gets annoyed for her behaving like she always did. He isn't in love with her, he likes her because she is hot. Then on the next day after she says that she doesn't want to go to his theme song night, he stops giving a fuck about her and ignores her all day while casually inviting an gorgeous co-worker to go to his get together.
Mickey decides to go to his party and as soon as she gets there it is clearly noticeable that he doesn't want her there and he does his best to push her away.
After Mickey had an outburst, she says that she is heading outside for a smoke and never comes back, to which he pays little to no attention.
Then there's the screwed up thing of fucking Heidi.
Next day after the table reading comes the big fight where he accuses Mickey of being clingy and always be texting him when he doesn't respond, which was something he did on the night of the after midnight date.
The final day is where we get Gus at his worst. It all starts with him, a tutor who had zero experience as writer besides his a spec script that apparently wasn't very good except for the serial killer idea, complaining about only having a "story by" credit, then continuously giving bad ideas and trying to push them on everyone even after they had been rejected and finally accusing of everyone of doing a shit job and that almost claiming that he would be the one to take the show to an higher quality.
He never mentions to Heidi that she is getting killed off as he doesn't think about anyone but himself and then gets all offended when she says that she knew that he, a person who had been a writer for 20 minutes, didn't really had a say on the matter.
More shit happens and he gets home, depressed and realizes that he has nothing to eat, decides to open the fridge again to Instragram a photo of his empty fridge and to say that he is going out to get supplies.
I really think that he did so Mickey would go after him, which she does and she finds him on the store they met.
After she gives a passionate speech apologizing for being such a screw up and she needs to be alone for a year to get his shit together, he fucking kisses her. A woman he quickly discarded as soon as something better come along and who he had been ignoring all day.
Mickey isn't that great also. She continuously used and abused everyone around her, not giving a fuck about them and only thinking about herself but at least at the end she is starting to realize how much she has fucked.
They are both terrible persons that don't really love each other. Mickey just wants a sweet guy that takes care of her instead of rotating door of scumbags that she is been with while Gus claims to like Mickey but doesn't seem to like her personality at all.

jerry113

Banned
episode 10:
Gus is such an asshole. It's almost cartoonish how he fucks himself over in that writer's room.

TripOpt55

Watched three episodes. It is alright so far. Will definitely keep watching. I think my favorite line so far was:

"Nothing dries up a vagina more than a paragraph."

oatmeal

Banned
Watched 4 tonight.

Really good so far. Britta doing Britta stuff and Gus is legit funny. Loved seeing Freaks and Geeks alums make their way into the picture.

ZeroX03

Banned
You had me on edge all episode because of this, but boy do I agree.

Edit: Omg ep.8 was... Wow

Yeah, I thought Mickey was bad, but then Gus in episodes 8, 9 and 10 happened.

Those two are toxic together and season two is going to be an emotional bloodbath. Gus really is a massive asshole thinly veiled with a nice guy persona and Mickey will take any excuse to fuck with normalcy. That final scene with the Instagram is insanely manipulative shit on both of their parts Kudos to the writers on how petty they made them both with that. Is that kind of social media shit what people actually do? Jesus.

MilkBeard

Those two are toxic together and season two is going to be an emotional bloodbath. Gus really is a massive asshole thinly veiled with a nice guy persona and Mickey will take any excuse to fuck with normalcy. That final scene with the Instagram is insanely manipulative shit on both of their parts Kudos to the writers on how petty they made them both with that. Is that kind of social media shit what people actually do? Jesus.

Yeah, Gus was a complete asshole nearly the whole of episode 10. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next season. My guess is that they would need to tone it down for a while, just to give these moments some breathing room.

Izuna

Banned

I just finished 9. I mean,
I don't think he is much of an asshole. Mickey made no effort to be decent or care about his stuff. So like, I feel that he owes her nothing. Getting clingy after blowing him off is bullshit.

ZeroX03

Banned
I just finished 9. I mean,
I don't think he is much of an asshole. Mickey made no effort to be decent or care about his stuff. So like, I feel that he owes her nothing. Getting clingy after blowing him off is bullshit.

Have fun with 10

ibrahima

Banned
I've made it through four and I've been pleasantly suprised by this! I see elements of myself in Gus, or at least an earlier version of me. Yeah, this is good.

Izuna

Banned
Have fun with 10

Ooooooh fuuuuuuck I can barely watch.

This show is really good no lie.

Edit: Omfg that Prison Break actress, she looks exactly the same!

Yeah so impressions
this show did end with them being in a stupid and toxic relationship. They are both such strange fuck ups. Like, they are meant fi each other in that way. I was really rooting for Gus but until he was such a jackass.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished season 1. I think I'll pass on season 2...

I really don't like both Gus and Mickey. They're both horribly selfish human beings and their relationship together is so fucking toxic. I guess it highlights what a lot of real relationships are, but still, I'm not a fan. I was actually hoping Mickey was going to follow through with taking a year off to find herself and then the last like 15 seconds of the episode happened...

Bladenic

Episode 5 is when I think the show really picks up, it was hilarious.

But I will say that Gus is really annoying. I'm mainly watching for Mickey/Gillian and her roommate Bertie is great too.

Boem

Watched all of this, just because someone mentioned Mr E from Eels has a cameo in one episode (something that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere. Have people not noticed that at all? The man is a legend!), and I'm a fan of Gillian Jacobs.

Really good show, although I don't really like the extreme cringe-scenes in some of these episodes. Gus is a complete shithead after a while. Mickey is too, but at least a part of her knows it and she's trying to improve. They're both shitheads on purpose though, and that could make season 2 very interesting. I don't mind waiting for that though, I've reached my limit for cringe for the next couple of weeks.

I love a lot of the side characters too. That Australian girl is basically a combination of every foreign student we ran into at university.

Thank you! GoT level sex or tame sex sans nudity?

Anyone know about this?

There are 4 boobs in the first episode. No nudity apart from that except a couple of butts I think, but I may be misremembering. My girlfriend and me watched it all in one go last night, and we were drinking so some memories got a bit muddled.

Lots of talk about sex and some drug use too, so not really a family friendly watch, if you're wondering. Content-wise, I would say it's aimed at 20-somethings/early 30s. Not because anything is too graphic, but because it's about that period of your life specifically.

I'm on the last episode. Both Gus and Mickey are awful people, but not fun awful like Seinfeld characters. Still a good show.

Karu

Binged it in one go. It's a five-hour Apatow comedy with a great cast but first and foremost the greatest Gillian Jacobs. This is everything I ever wanted and I need more. Like... NOW! :'-(

maxcriden

Nothing like Master Of None. There are some sweet moments in this but
things turn out ugly quick.

In terms of nudity, some boobs show up on the first episode. The rest of the episodes so far have sex scenes where they are mostly clothed or when they are naked there are no nipples or had more intimate parts on show.

Watched all of this, just because someone mentioned Mr E from Eels has a cameo in one episode (something that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere. Have people not noticed that at all? The man is a legend!), and I'm a fan of Gillian Jacobs.

Really good show, although I don't really like the extreme cringe-scenes in some of these episodes. Gus is a complete shithead after a while. Mickey is too, but at least a part of her knows it and she's trying to improve. They're both shitheads on purpose though, and that could make season 2 very interesting. I don't mind waiting for that though, I've reached my limit for cringe for the next couple of weeks.

I love a lot of the side characters too. That Australian girl is basically a combination of every foreign student we ran into at university.

There are 4 boobs in the first episode. No nudity apart from that except a couple of butts I think, but I may be misremembering. My girlfriend and me watched it all in one go last night, and we were drinking so some memories got a bit muddled.

Lots of talk about sex and some drug use too, so not really a family friendly watch, if you're wondering. Content-wise, I would say it's aimed at 20-somethings/early 30s. Not because anything is too graphic, but because it's about that period of your life specifically.

Thanks for the info! Is the nudity gratuitous feeling? Just curious.

Walpurgis

Banned

Thanks. I can't relate to any of this but I loved Knocked Up so I'll probably watch this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom