• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love |OT| We've all been there (Apatow, Gillian Jacobs, Paul Rust) Netflix Feb 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boem

Thanks for the info! Is the nudity gratuitous feeling? Just curious.

Well that depends heavily on whoever is watching, but I would say it's relevant to the scene (and it's just one scene, like I said, in the first episode). It's mostly there to heighten the comedy/awkwardness of that scene. It's going for the feeling that the scene is
pretty sexy, but that there's also something really wrong going on

Just out of curiousity, why are you asking? Because you want to watch it with family/younger viewers, or just because you are bothered by nudity in shows/films (not that there is anything wrong with that at all of course). You might want to know that it's not really a jokey comedy, more of a dark comedy that deals with a lot of real issues and goes to some awkward places. Like I said, it's not something I would watch with my parents (mostly because it's not something they would be interested in at all), and I wouldn't watch it with young kids (it's just not aimed at them - it deals with depression, loneliness, relationships, addiction, sex, drugs, etc) Not super hardcore or upsetting, but it's about people in their 20s/30s who are supposed to become adults and haven't quite found their place yet. What I mean with that is: it's not a family show, but it's also not a show that tries to sell itself by just getting a lot of pretty actresses to take their clothes off. It's just one scene, and all the female characters in the show are actual characters, not just pretty furniture.

Stalk

I'm enjoying this, up to episode 9.

Episode 8+ spoilerish

Don't really feel sympathetic for Mickey. She comes across as completely blind to someone's passion and a bit self centered.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Gillian Jacobs is just the right amount of manic pixie chick

Well, maybe the term isnt one to one applicable but I dig hep they pull eschother out of their comfort zones.

maxcriden

Well that depends heavily on whoever is watching, but I would say it's relevant to the scene (and it's just one scene, like I said, in the first episode). It's mostly there to heighten the comedy/awkwardness of that scene. It's going for the feeling that the scene is
pretty sexy, but that there's also something really wrong going on

Just out of curiousity, why are you asking? Because you want to watch it with family/younger viewers, or just because you are bothered by nudity in shows/films (not that there is anything wrong with that at all of course). You might want to know that it's not really a jokey comedy, more of a dark comedy that deals with a lot of real issues and goes to some awkward places. Like I said, it's not something I would watch with my parents (mostly because it's not something they would be interested in at all), and I wouldn't watch it with young kids (it's just not aimed at them - it deals with depression, loneliness, relationships, addiction, sex, drugs, etc) Not super hardcore or upsetting, but it's about people in their 20s/30s who are supposed to become adults and haven't quite found their place yet. What I mean with that is: it's not a family show, but it's also not a show that tries to sell itself by just getting a lot of pretty actresses to take their clothes off. It's just one scene, and all the female characters in the show are actual characters, not just pretty furniture.

I really appreciate the insight and information. I'm asking because of the latter reason. I feel like in some premium cable shows and some movies, sex and violence are depicted in a gratuitous way that to.me personally as a viewer at the very least takes me out of the show. So I am glad to know in this show the content is both not frequent as well as not as gratuitous from the sounds of it. I wouldn't want my biases and assumptions to get in the way of watching something I'd otherwise enjoy, so I truly appreciate your detailed reply. Thank you.

Might watch it, been a while since I even turned Netflix on (last time was around Master of None). Don't know if I'll like the cringe humor, kinda hate that.

Pryce

Gus is the biggest limped Dick little shit I have ever seen. The entire (E2 spoilers)
scene with the girls was horrible. So a nerdy skinny guy somehow manages to get a threesome with two hot young 20 something girls then does the most stereotypically nerdy thing and ruins it. My eyes rolled so hard I had to take an advil. Come on

It doesn't help that all these people are not actually experiencing problems of any sort. They all come off as whiny.

Maybe it would help if I lived in Los Angeles.

Gus is the biggest limped Dick little shit I have ever seen. The entire (E2 spoilers)
scene with the girls was horrible. So a nerdy skinny guy somehow manages to get a threesome with two hot young 20 something girls then does the most stereotypically nerdy thing and ruins it. My eyes rolled so hard I had to take an advil. Come on

It doesn't help that all these people are not actually experiencing problems of any sort. They all come off as whiny.

Maybe it would help if I lived in Los Angeles.

Well given the fact that they're
sisters
I would understand it freaking out the most normal of people.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ep 5 was pretty fun even with the cringe.

Ep 6... oh boy, real mixed feelings about
Andy Dick as Andy Dick
. Ew, Gus giving advice to this actress.

Rembrandt

Banned
Started, marathoned and finished it yesterday.

Really, really good show. I'm liking all of these movies and shows taking a more realistic look at relationships. After watching the finale, I'm really curious to see how the second sequel goes.

DrBo42

Watching episode 7, Gillian comes off like such a huge prick more so than Gus at this point. Jesus dude.

Episode 7 is fucking bizarre.
Her character becomes a total prick out of nowhere. I'm not sure if it was meant as the bubble bursting of how you perceive someone vs who they really are. If it was, it wasn't executed well.
Writing just felt really bad compared to previous episodes.

DrBo42

Can we talk about Gus having the blandest taste in movies?

Lol. Didn't he own Sweet Home Alabama? His shitty taste is probably indicative of how shitty his writing is.

Edit: The more I watch, the more this feels like a watered-down copy of You're the Worst.

golem

Ep 5 was pretty fun even with the cringe.

Ep 6... oh boy, real mixed feelings about
Andy Dick as Andy Dick
. Ew, Gus giving advice to this actress.

Almost made me turn off the tv when he showed up.. but he was actually sort of ok for the time he was on the screen.

Rust is so good in this, lot of subtlety to his performance, heard him plenty of times on comedy bang bang podcast but never really appreciated him on there. Hope he gets more work from this, dude's a solid actor.

MilkBeard

What I love about this setup is that Netflix can literally do whatever the hell it wants with this show. Of course, if there is strong reaction against they would cancel, but they aren't afraid to ruffle some feathers because it is exclusive to their own platform.

I'm definitely impressed if their exclusive shows are of a similar caliber in the future.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
On episode 6. I'm loving this show. For some reason Master of None was unwatchable to me... I think it was maybe the acting... I don't know. But I'm eating this up. I hope people are watching.

Episode 5.
The date was amazing. Didn't expect it to take that turn after Bertie accidentally texted Gus. Mickey inciting chaos was great.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
On episode 6. I'm loving this show. For some reason Master of None was unwatchable to me... I think it was maybe the acting... I don't know. But I'm eating this up. I hope people are watching.

Episode 5.
The date was amazing. Didn't expect it to take that turn after Bertie accidentally texted Gus. Mickey inciting chaos was great.

Master of None was pretty saccharine compared to this. This actually has some bite.

few episodes in and its been ok so far.

the roomate is adorable and we get brett gelman who i always find hilarious. the child actor is Judd's kid right? is it it the older or younger one. if its the younger one then geez knocked up seems like forever ago then

ZeroX03

Banned
few episodes in and its been ok so far.

the roomate is adorable and we get brett gelman who i always find hilarious. the child actor is Judd's kid right? is it it the older or younger one. if its the younger one then geez knocked up seems like forever ago then

Yes it's the younger one. And Knocked Up was nine years ago.

chadskin

Wasn't a fan initially but I've come around by the fourth episode or so, really enjoy it now. Definitely a slow burner.

Whenever I see Gus, though, I wish they would've gotten Adam Brody instead, Rust doesn't really do it for me.

ZeroX03

Banned
Wasn't a fan initially but I've come around by the fourth episode or so, really enjoy it now. Definitely a slow burner.

Whenever I see Gus, though, I wish they would've gotten Adam Brody instead, Rust doesn't really do it for me.

Paul Rust (and his wife) created the show, I doubt another actor was an option.

Watched the first couple episodes, and it's alright. Not really feeling it.

Just screams the "white people living in LA with problems" cliche. The main characters have super normal lives with jobs, and nice apartments. But their unhappy for some vague reason, and look sad with indie music on the background.

Also, Gus somehow gets invited to a cool people party, and has a threeway by not doing anything and just existing...

ZeroX03

Banned
Gus is every Gaffer who's ever posted an "I think I fucked up" thread and then proceeds to defend their stupidity.

Ya'll know exactly what I'm talking about

bounchfx

just starting episode 9 now. I'm really enjoying this show. Also holy fuck the actress is hot.

and bertie is the best. oh man.

edit: ok finished it. not sure how I feel about eps 9 and 10 in general, people seemed to act very extreme and out of character, but it is high stress so I can forgive it. I liked the end.

Dan

Oy, this
Mickey in the Magic Castle stuff
. Yikes, that's hard to tolerate.

I was watching this show today and there was a line that went something like:

- Fuck you Pixar
- Yeah Cars 2 was a piece of crap!

Lol, I'm really liking it so far.

RedAssedApe

Banned
they should have just checked out a coat at the front. magic castle made me do that because my jacket didn't fit their standards haha

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Not at the Magic Castle level

If that's really the interior of the Magic (Arsehole) Castle then I'm really let down. That and that dumb rule. Jesus, get over yourselves magicians. You ain't Harry Potter.

Dan

they should have just checked out a coat at the front. magic castle made me do that because my jacket didn't fit their standards haha
Also, let's be real. Mickey said she was cold after they first stepped out of her house when it was still daytime. Proper adults would immediately foresee how the night proceeds from there and a jacket would be grabbed ASAP.

The problems these two face are always visible from miles away, but no one changes course.

Quick

Banned
Just finished episode 1. It dragged a bit in parts, but overall, a good start.

It feels a bit like a more explicit You're The Worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom