• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love |OT| We've all been there (Apatow, Gillian Jacobs, Paul Rust) Netflix Feb 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoze

Finished watching it, it's pretty good. I thought the characters and most of the dialogue were really well done. Good acting all around as well. But man, the cinematography is really sub-par in this show and some of the scripting and directing is noticeably bad as well. Best example I can think of is when Gus is having his theme song party and it keeps transitioning between that and laughably mundane shots of Mickey and Bertie trying to find his apartment. It felt like the showrunners had consistent trouble trying to find interesting ways to transition between scenes/scenarios or keep a good quality with A and B plots (Gus & Mickey) when they're seperate.

It hurts it that master of none is still recent and does everything better.

It doesn't do everything better imo. Master of None has some really spotty acting, writing, editing, and some undercooked characterization. What Master of None does have is a lot more creativity in it, much better direction and cinematography, and I do think it's the better show. Love kinda feels just like more Showtime LA focused stuff, where as Master of None really takes on it's own style and is just much more interesting despite it's shortcomings. They're significantly different though despite focusing on a lot of the same things (people in their early 30s dating, figuring out life shit, etc.).

Quick

Banned
Episode 2 was really good. Not sure yet on Paul Rust, but he's really playing that nerdy dude stereotype just fine - maybe too well. lol

Gillian Jacobs is playing Mickey like a more explicit and cynical Britta from Community. But towards the end of episode 2, it seems like there might be a wider gap between Britta and Mickey.

golem

It hurts it that master of none is still recent and does everything better.
Yeah I definitely feel this is the case here. The show feels so... lazy. There were plenty of good bits, but I can't shake the feeling we've seen all of this already before way too many times. Every characters' arc ends in such a predictable way. Hopefully the second season can show more growth in both the characters and the writing.

sammex

I don't buy Gus being a nice guy, he is an huge asshole. He behaved like an idiot on the date with Bettie, he chases Mickey for a while but as soon as they start dating, he makes a big deal of showing her around. Case and point, the scene after they have sex for the first time where Mickey clearly wants to stay in bed and order a pizza, giving them a chance to be intimate and really hang out (which they haven't really done besides the very first time they met) but Gus makes them go out and when given the opportunity to choose her outfit, he chooses something that makes her look hot but is not hot at all.
On the magic castle, he doesn't stand up to security guards on the whole jacket thing when it was completely reasonable for her to wear his jacket. He gets annoyed for her behaving like she always did. He isn't in love with her, he likes her because she is hot. Then on the next day after she says that she doesn't want to go to his theme song night, he stops giving a fuck about her and ignores her all day while casually inviting an gorgeous co-worker to go to his get together.
Mickey decides to go to his party and as soon as she gets there it is clearly noticeable that he doesn't want her there and he does his best to push her away.
After Mickey had an outburst, she says that she is heading outside for a smoke and never comes back, to which he pays little to no attention.
Then there's the screwed up thing of fucking Heidi.
Next day after the table reading comes the big fight where he accuses Mickey of being clingy and always be texting him when he doesn't respond, which was something he did on the night of the after midnight date.
The final day is where we get Gus at his worst. It all starts with him, a tutor who had zero experience as writer besides his a spec script that apparently wasn't very good except for the serial killer idea, complaining about only having a "story by" credit, then continuously giving bad ideas and trying to push them on everyone even after they had been rejected and finally accusing of everyone of doing a shit job and that almost claiming that he would be the one to take the show to an higher quality.
He never mentions to Heidi that she is getting killed off as he doesn't think about anyone but himself and then gets all offended when she says that she knew that he, a person who had been a writer for 20 minutes, didn't really had a say on the matter.
More shit happens and he gets home, depressed and realizes that he has nothing to eat, decides to open the fridge again to Instragram a photo of his empty fridge and to say that he is going out to get supplies.
I really think that he did so Mickey would go after him, which she does and she finds him on the store they met.
After she gives a passionate speech apologizing for being such a screw up and she needs to be alone for a year to get his shit together, he fucking kisses her. A woman he quickly discarded as soon as something better come along and who he had been ignoring all day.
Mickey isn't that great also. She continuously used and abused everyone around her, not giving a fuck about them and only thinking about herself but at least at the end she is starting to realize how much she has fucked.
They are both terrible persons that don't really love each other. Mickey just wants a sweet guy that takes care of her instead of rotating door of scumbags that she is been with while Gus claims to like Mickey but doesn't seem to like her personality at all.

This is a great post. Gus is the worst and to me the whole Heidi thing, although seeming really implausible, just underlined that.

Nyx

Binged all episodes yesterday and today and ended up liking it a lot.

The main characters are likeable in their own way and there's lots of recognizable love/relationship stuff in it with some nice cringe moments as well.

Chase17

Just finished it. Show is solid. I refuse to accept the
writers room scene.
I can't believe that anyone would act like that even with my usual suspension of disbelief.

I feel Masters of None is a vastly superior show. Probably lowered my opinion of Love since they have some similar themes.

I'm also getting kind of tired of the "dorky guy" with super hot women thing.

Will probably watch the second season.

Pickman

Mickey is a total fuckup and treats people terribly, but Gus is also a manipulator who sabotages things that don't go his way and clings to child delusions.

So yeah. This is a lot like real love.

Not

Banned
Just finished it. Show is solid. I refuse to accept the
writers room scene.
I can't believe that anyone would act like that even with my usual suspension of disbelief.

I feel Masters of None is a vastly superior show. Probably lowered my opinion of Love since they have some similar themes.

I'm also getting kind of tired of the "dorky guy" with super hot women thing.

Will probably watch the second season.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

Just watched episode 5. At one point in the episode, I tell my wife "shit, they're going out of their way to make this guy look like
Mark Everett
."
Well yeah, turns out that's actually him.

Really enjoying the show so far.

Master of None was horrible front to back. Such ham fisted setups horribly exicuted with such cardboard acting. Really offputting. This show has its moments but its just Judd Apatow rehashing his ugly guy / hot girl fantasies which sucks. Some cool moments, Claudia is hilarious, and Brett Gelman is a treasure and most of the actings good, im just sick of seeing this dynamic of 'charming losers' with 'cool hot chicks'. And the 'chemistry' is written and played terribly.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Master of None was horrible front to back. Such ham fisted setups horribly exicuted with such cardboard acting. Really offputting. This show has its moments but its just Judd Apatow rehashing his ugly guy / hot girl fantasies which sucks. Some cool moments, Claudia is hilarious, and Brett Gelman is a treasure and most of the actings good, im just sick of seeing this dynamic of 'charming losers' with 'cool hot chicks'. And the 'chemistry' is written and played terribly.
Master of None had way more of a unique point of view. The fact that it isn't just about white guys being awkward made it at least distinctive.

ZeroX03

Banned

Brett Gelman's emotional turn was fantastic and not how I expected it to play out.

But I don't think Mickey is cool by anyone's standards. Maybe in her 20s she was but now it's mostly pathetic. Only Gus and Bertie have any admiration for her and that quickly fades.

I'm guessing the joke has already been made that gus is GAF

Oh yes it has

But nobody said "Oh, Britta's in this?"

Just started episode 7 and Bertie is already getting massive laughs from me.

We were just talking about Christmas!

We're reading Dianetics. We just want to see what it is.

Just finished it and thought it was okay, it started off strong but the last 5 episodes or so did nothing for me and Gus just becomes worse and worse of a person.

Chase17

Never
fuck actresses, they crazy
Kind of bugged me how the original justification was
that she was crazy. Which I mean I guess I can take at a stretch. But then it wraps up in one scene and is just classified as a "set fling" or something.

ZeroX03

Banned
that she was crazy. Which I mean I guess I can take at a stretch. But then it wraps up in one scene and is just classified as a "set fling" or something.

She kinda had crazy bubbling under the surface the whole time. Taking Gus' advice was stupid and it lucked out into working, and he was the only person on set who seemed to care about her so she glommed on to him. "set fling" is probably the nice way to put it.

Also 99% of actresses and Canadians are crazy.

I don't think she was
"crazy" necessarily. I think one of the things the show likes to do is establish expectations for a character, only to have them turn out to be more normal and capable than you think at first glance (or the opposite, as in the case of the main characters like Gus being an Ass and Mickey being a love addict.

Like, take Bertie for instance. At first you expected her to bit a bit of an overenthusiastic airhead, but she actually has a job, gets laid all the time, seduces men and makes friends pretty easily, and is an astute observer of relationships who just wanted to give people a chance. I think the same can be applied to the actress, she really was just kind of a ball of nerves and a little lonely, so it would make sense she would cling on to Gus a bit, but she can still see things for what they are. For Gus, the characters' experiences with him are a bit of the opposite. They think he is nice and take to him quickly, but he's an ass boiling below the surface.

Gray Matter

Boy is Heidi fucking gorgeous, she reminds me of a girl from high school that I had a huge crush on, same loud laugh, same smile, personality, similar body type too.

Master of None had way more of a unique point of view. The fact that it isn't just about white guys being awkward made it at least distinctive.
Master is just that, a new point of view, but the show is unfortunately terrible. I cant give it a pass for appealing to me ethically

Chase17

She kinda had crazy bubbling under the surface the whole time. Taking Gus' advice was stupid and it lucked out into working, and he was the only person on set who seemed to care about her so she glommed on to him. "set fling" is probably the nice way to put it.

Also 99% of actresses and Canadians are crazy.
I guess it just caught me off guard how little pay off there seemed to be for the arc.

I don't think she was
"crazy" necessarily. I think one of the things the show likes to do is establish expectations for a character, only to have them turn out to be more normal and capable than you think at first glance (or the opposite, as in the case of the main characters like Gus being an Ass and Mickey being a love addict.
I was with this idea
until the sex scene. Thought she was pretty fairly crazy after that. I agree that they defy character expectations throughout the show though. My favorite of which was when Kevin didn't want to hear anything about that one guy's problems.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Master is just that, a new point of view, but the show is unfortunately terrible. I cant give it a pass for appealing to me ethically

I completely agree with you about MoN. I need to give it another shot, but I liked what it was trying to say but didn't enjoy the execution. Zero subtly. And the acting... yikes!

And Bertie needs her own show. Or give Claudia O'Doherty her own show separately. I mean... I'm in love, and I'm gay. Which apparently is okay with her!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Watched the first 3 eps. I like it but its not something I can binge (unlike Master of None which I devoured). Mickie is great, Gus...not so much. I do like how different it feels, like other netflix shows. They really have a cool thing going with these originals.

Oh and Gus, im also a super nice guy loser, and even I wouldnt pass on that
3 way
. Come on son! >_>

Edit: Oh and I like the australian girl, hopefully she sticks around throughout the rest of the season

Spinifex

Binged this over the weekend. Gus is the worst and totally unlikable in every regard, I am so sick of his archetype.

Bertie is the standout character and the actor should get her own show.

'Actually I feel like I've been a grown-up for ages. In Australia we start drinking when we're 12.'

Salaadin

Binged this over the weekend. Gus is the worst and totally unlikable in every regard, I am so sick of his archetype.

Bertie is the standout character and the actor should get her own show.

'Actually I feel like I've been a grown-up for ages. In Australia we start drinking when we're 12.'
Claudia O'Doherty is amazing. If you haven't already, I highly recommend her appearances on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast and her shorts on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/rnUGid_0HNw

ZeroX03

Banned
Bertie failed for me because she didn't talk like an Australian. Some word choices there that an Australian would never use that kind of ripped me out of it. Not her fault though.

I completely agree with you about MoN. I need to give it another shot, but I liked what it was trying to say but didn't enjoy the execution. Zero subtly. And the acting... yikes!

And Bertie needs her own show. Or give Claudia O'Doherty her own show separately. I mean... I'm in love, and I'm gay. Which apparently is okay with her!
Yeah, shes amazing, shes a buddy from Australia so its great to see her killing it.

Bertie failed for me because she didn't talk like an Australian. Some word choices there that an Australian would never use that kind of ripped me out of it. Not her fault though.
Yeah not referring to ice cream in metric was a cold slap in the face!

icespide

Banned
he takes mickey to a god damn crazy magic castle with a dress code? what a terrible idea. shoulda have just ordered pizza

Watched four episodes so far, and I like it, but I cant helpt but wonder if appatows brand of humor and character development doesnt work better in a film? The akward shit gus goes through hits really close to home as someone who is a nerdy white push over, especially when he was mauling over what to say in a text message. It even does the apatow thing where normal shlub guys get with the most attractive women imaginable! If only we lived in an apatow world...

ThisGuy

I liked it. Specially when they followed through with gus's characters. His first girlfriend says he's fake nice at the beginning, which I didn't believe. But at the end of the season, yeah, absolutely, dude can be an ass. He just looks timid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom