• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love |OT| We've all been there (Apatow, Gillian Jacobs, Paul Rust) Netflix Feb 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched four episodes so far, and I like it, but I cant helpt but wonder if appatows brand of humor and character development doesnt work better in a film? The akward shit gus goes through hits really close to home as someone who is a nerdy white push over, especially when he was mauling over what to say in a text message. It even does the apatow thing where normal shlub guys get with the most attractive women imaginable! If only we lived in an apatow world...

You mean
Heidi? Who was clearly only sleeping with him because she was lonely and he was probably nice without immediately trying to hit on her.
She clearly didn't give a shit about him

Okay I start to like the characters then they do shit that I'm like wowww. Like in episode 9 when
Gus invites Mickey over and she's like sounds stupid and then proceeds to crash and whines and moans like a brat the whole time...seriously?

Omzz

The 5th episode...

don't think I've paused so much in an episode from all the cringe during the date. One of those things where you just couldn't look but had to finish the episode lol

Rembrandt

Banned
This is a great post. Gus is the worst and to me the whole Heidi thing, although seeming really implausible, just underlined that.

He didn't casually invite Heidi to his party, though. She kept pleading her case emotionally and essentially invited herself until he just let her come.

VAD

Steve Buscemi also directed one.
I finished the 10th episode. It was an incredibly good comedy where characters can alternate between being lovely and despicable. I'm ok with the series ending at season 1 but seeing they greenlifghted a second one, I'm happy that they did.

Quick

Banned
Episode 3.

What a burn on Gus when he was told that he does such a shitty job that he has to help Arya cheat on her test. Damn.

And on an interesting note, John Slattery directed the episode.

wbsmcs

The 5th episode...

don't think I've paused so much in an episode from all the cringe during the date. One of those things where you just couldn't look but had to finish the episode lol

This was exactly me too.

Loved the show though. One of my favourite little details were the texts conversations on the phone which weren't really related to what they were showing.

"Brriodsja"
"Sorry sat on my phone"

Gray Matter

Finished.

i liked it, It wasn't exactly what I expected, in a good way. I liked how their relationship wasn't always certain. The Heidi arc was cool, although how it ended caught me off guard, like she just ended it so abruptly, it seemed like she was obsessed with him. Bertie was the surprise of the show, I loved her character, she needs more screen time. Overall, I enjoyed it.

lord

it should be called
annoying woody allen fucks an annoying woman with an annoying pixie friend and cheats on her with an annoying actress

annoying/10

RedAssedApe

Banned
Finished.

i liked it, It wasn't exactly what I expected, in a good way. I liked how their relationship wasn't always certain. The Heidi arc was cool, although how it ended caught me off guard, like she just ended it so abruptly, it seemed like she was obsessed with him. Bertie was the surprise of the show, I loved her character, she needs more screen time. Overall, I enjoyed it.

yeah that was a bit weird...
heidi seemed ok until gus started talking about the writer's room. i still think he MIGHT have had a chance to keep that relationship going if he responded differently to her "set crush" comment.

it should be called
annoying woody allen fucks an annoying woman with an annoying pixie friend and cheats on her with an annoying actress

annoying/10

sounds like you loved it. i mean you sat through 10 episodes lol or did you just read spoilers?

Gray Matter

yeah that was a bit weird...
heidi seemed ok until gus started talking about the writer's room. i still think he MIGHT have had a chance to keep that relationship going if he responded differently to her "set crush" comment.

When she said that I thought she meant it in a sarcastic way, but I guess it was just her telling him what it really was. I agree that he could've kept it going had he not gotten upset with her.

Gray Matter

holy shit the last 2 episodes are so cringe inducing it's painful. good god

everything went to shit during the last 2 episodes

I really liked it because it's completely the opposite of what I thought was going to happen, not a lot of times where I get surprised like that.

icespide

Banned
everything went to shit during the last 2 episodes

I really liked it because it's completely the opposite of what I thought was going to happen, not a lot of times where I get surprised like that.

yeah it wasn't bad by any means just it felt fucking real.

i really hate Gus though

oatmeal

Banned
Show was good overall.

That writers room scene was terrible, but the fight with Britta on the lot was amazing writing and performing by both.

Britta is a great actress but her character is so unlovable and Gus turned into a total boner.

Not sure how this goes longer than one.

Master of None was better.

Gray Matter

Show was good overall.

That writers room scene was terrible, but the fight with Britta on the lot was amazing writing and performing by both.

Britta is a great actress but her character is so unlovable and Gus turned into a total boner.

Not sure how this goes longer than one.

Master of None was better.

Britta?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I finished the show last night. Some scattered thoughts:

Gillian Jacobs is really great here. She felt much better written than Gus in that they try to portray these characters with faults. She was more believeable in her actions than Gus's actions which came off as jerk moves from left field. Even if they foreshadowed the "fake nice" bit. I also didn't buy the ending of the show, Mickey was pouring her soul to this guy who was being a douche and he just kisses her? Felt off and he didn't earn that moment. She may be toxic to herself, but at least she's trying. Gus I felt doesn't realize that he's a prick which makes it hard to sympathize with him. Someone here said that they don't hate Gus, they just don't like him and I agree with that. They don't need to make the guy genuine or whatever, they just need to make him more believeable especially since he's the lead of the show.

So with all that, I enjoyed the show. Bertie, Krafty guy on set are all good characters. It's also fun seeing the Sony lot I Intern at. Gus and Mickey fought were I get my lunch lol. I'll be watching next season. 2.5/5

RedAssedApe

Banned
i'm actually surprised he's getting as much hate as he is.

probably because
we get to see the extracurricular stuff mickey does that indicate she's self-aware and is trying to improve herself. gus still seems oblivious as to why all the shit in his life is suddenly blowing up and his part in it.

also...everyone is always gonna take the side of the pixie :)

I liked it but that ending didn't sit well with me,
Mickey absolutely needs time to get her shit together, it was definitely the right thing for her to try and get strength on her own through the support of that program plus tackling her substance abuse problems. Granted, her instagram stalking him to that location was transparent in that she didn't really want to work on herself first and was using that speech as a pity play to Gus, but deep down it's apparent she does want to get better and Gus certainly isn't the answer. I guess that's some realism though for a person in her emotional state though.

Not sure if I've really seen a Gus type portrayed before.
Nerdy clingy first impression, but a narcissist at heart right under the surface. The writer's room stuff was one thing that wasn't so believable though, I think Gus would be aware by now how that process works in the studio system, his diva fit seemed unrealistic given how badly he wanted to just be part of the process. Maybe in a way it was intended to be satire towards soaps and by comittee shows how quickly one thing gets shuffled to push someone out of the way.

It just really took me by surprise how quickly Gus went from casual sex with Mickey, all that build up and pining, to being all about his magic theater plans and mostly being distant to her throughout the night. Sure she was a wet blanket, but dude seemed checked OUT even at that point. Got sex, whatever and all that. It was an interesting changeup when you expected Mickey to be the one to sabotage or be distant afterwards, and I'm sure some see it that way via the magic club and the apt party, but the latter was more spiraling with mania and jealousy.

I think the second season could go to some interesting places, namely
exploring more of how they use relationships as bandaids for the bigger problems. It ain't cheery but it is compelling.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I liked it but that ending didn't sit well with me,
Mickey absolutely needs time to get her shit together, it was definitely the right thing for her to try and get strength on her own through the support of that program plus tackling her substance abuse problems. Granted, her instagram stalking him to that location was transparent in that she didn't really want to work on herself first and was using that speech as a pity play to Gus, but deep down it's apparent she does want to get better and Gus certainly isn't the answer. I guess that's some realism though for a person in her emotional state though.

Not sure if I've really seen a Gus type portrayed before.
Nerdy clingy first impression, but a narcissist at heart right under the surface. The writer's room stuff was one thing that wasn't so believable though, I think Gus would be aware by now how that process works in the studio system, his diva fit seemed unrealistic given how badly he wanted to just be part of the process. Maybe in a way it was intended to be satire towards soaps and by comittee shows how quickly one thing gets shuffled to push someone out of the way.

It just really took me by surprise how quickly Gus went from casual sex with Mickey, all that build up and pining, to being all about his magic theater plans and mostly being distant to her throughout the night. Sure she was a wet blanket, but dude seemed checked OUT even at that point. Got sex, whatever and all that. It was an interesting changeup when you expected Mickey to be the one to sabotage or be distant afterwards, and I'm sure some see it that way via the magic club and the apt party, but the latter was more spiraling with mania and jealousy.

I think the second season could go to some interesting places, namely
exploring more of how they use relationships as bandaids for the bigger problems. It ain't cheery but it is compelling.

it sounds like it had the right effect on us.
uneasy alliance is how i felt about that kiss lol

sucker for a "happy" ending but also already imagining the train wreck that is going to occur in s2

My wife and I are loving the show, but we both agree: the "sing a long" movie theme night is the worst most unbelievable concept ever. An entire group of grown adult losers sitting around and singing about Carlito's Way for an entire evening? No way. Of all the cringe worthy scenes, these are the worst.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
My wife and I are loving the show, but we both agree: the "sing a long" movie theme night is the worst most unbelievable concept ever. An entire group of grown adult losers sitting around and singing about Carlito's Way for an entire evening? No way. Of all the cringe worthy scenes, these are the worst.
The weirdest part is when Heidi sings it the next day and the audience (and Gus) are supposed to think it's annoying. No... It was always stupid and annoying.

Rembrandt

Banned

Gus was in a band, though. It's not the craziest thing, tbh. A bunch of creative, movie loving people in the YouTube/Vine era might do that.

RedAssedApe

Banned
lotta mickey's in this thread lol

I dunno. I enjoyed the theme song party scenes despite the cringy-ness. Yeah its a bit exaggerated but its not really anything different from a bunch of friends having a jam session or even doing other random things as a group like games and such. Everyone is just having fun. Actually makes Gus more likeable in my eyes which is kind of important for the show.

Where did the idea come from of Gus and his friends composing their own theme songs for movies?

Paul Rust: I have movie club viewings with my friends and stuff. We don't do the theme song. That was a way to make it active and stuff, because otherwise it would just be…

Gillian Jacobs: Mystery Science Theater 3000.

TheYanger

I'm watching the last episode right now, binged it all today. I really like Bertie and Heidi, and they're both cute as fuck.

Edit: Also, hoooooly shit imdb isn't telling me well enough, but this girl at the AA meeting in the last episode that is talking, I swear to god I went to high school with her, fished out my yearbook and it looks just like her too. tripping me out.

Trey

I thought this was really good. The first episode setting the stage for one sort of ending and theme, while the events of the next nine do everything they can to subvert it. "Fucked up" people pining for love, but aren't fit to manage what that means.

Heidi is super adorable.

Arjen

Overall I enjoyed the show but as others said, Masters of None did this theme much better. Gus is a pretty horrible person, I started to hate him at the end. Mickey does some awful stuff as well, but she at least knows she has problems.
Bertie was the highlight of the show for me.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The texting in episode six
'you must hate me by now lol' and 'I don't blame you for ignoring me hahah'
is how I picture some gaffers being like.

lotta mickey's in this thread lol

I dunno. I enjoyed the theme song party scenes despite the cringy-ness. Yeah its a bit exaggerated but its not really anything different from a bunch of friends having a jam session or even doing other random things as a group like games and such. Everyone is just having fun. Actually makes Gus more likeable in my eyes which is kind of important for the show.

I think it's totally different than having a jam session or a movie night, or a MST riffing session. I can see either of those being appealing. But literally making a handful of lame jokes about Carlito's Way and then riffing on it for HOURS, is absurd. I can't imagine a single sane individual finding that appealing if they were actually there. Even if they were to pick multiple movies in one night I would find it more believable.

I think it's totally different than having a jam session or a movie night, or a MST riffing session. I can see either of those being appealing. But literally making a handful of lame jokes about Carlito's Way and then riffing on it for HOURS, is absurd. I can't imagine a single sane individual finding that appealing if they were actually there. Even if they were to pick multiple movies in one night I would find it more believable.

The song is just a theme for them to hang out by. They meet up, watch a movie, drink, eat, talk, write some riffs and lyrics.. talk and bullshit some more.. right a few more riffs and lyrics.. etc...

They're not sitting there focused on writing this one song for hours upon hours.

RedAssedApe

Banned

just having fun man. i thought it was one of those so bad its good things. used to illustrate that this was a group of weird individuals that got each other. somewhere they could get together and be themselves.

this and gus jamming at the other party to me was kind of like "hey there' more to gus than just nerdy boring nice guy facade"...counteracted some of the other negative things we saw from him

Mickey is a total fuckup and treats people terribly, but Gus is also a manipulator who sabotages things that don't go his way and clings to child delusions.

So yeah. This is a lot like real love.

You put my thoughts into words better than I could have. This is exactly my view of the two after having finished the show.
Really, both of them are fuckups who need to sort their lives out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom