• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love |OT| We've all been there (Apatow, Gillian Jacobs, Paul Rust) Netflix Feb 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished it, really terrific show. Given that I know someone in real life who shares a ton of similarities with Gus made it that much harder to watch.

I've been switching off episodes of Love and Master of None until I finished both seasons. Kind of made me want to eat a cookie and reflect on my life today.

kiguel182

Just finished watching it. Not a fan.

Not only was the show not funny but, at the same time, it wasn't insightful either. Gus is an asshole and Mickey has a ton of problems but that's really it.

Gus walks the line between writer fantasy and just unpleasant person way to often and I'm never sure what the point of his character really is.

Also, the ending was especially insulting since
Mickey saying she is a sex addict and Gus kissing her is just wrong. Like, really wrong.

tauroxd

I watched it all in one go... Really loved it, was not in anyway what I thought it was gonna be and i loved even more because of that.

You guys talking about (Episode 1 spoiler)
not turning down the 3 way... WHAT? I would never be comfortable doing that with 2 sisters, that's just so wrong in so many levels.

And the thing with (Episodes 6 through 10 spoiler)
Heidi makes sense: she is alone away from home and the only person who seems to pay attention to her, help her and be nice is Gus. Gus doensn't see here as a chick to fuck, he knows that wouldn't ever happens so he approach her without making obvious that he wants to sleep with her, and most of all she really enjoyed the night with Gus and his friends, therefore it makes sense that the had what they had.

It is really good to knwo that a season 2 is confirmed :)

RedAssedApe

Banned
I watched it all in one go... Really loved it, was not in anyway what I thought it was gonna be and i loved even more because of that.

You guys talking about (Episode 1 spoiler)
not turning down the 3 way... WHAT? I would never be comfortable doing that with 2 sisters, that's just so wrong in so many levels.

And the thing with (Episodes 6 through 10 spoiler)
Heidi makes sense: she is alone away from home and the only person who seems to pay attention to her, help her and be nice is Gus. Gus doensn't see here as a chick to fuck, he knows that wouldn't ever happens so he approach her without making obvious that he wants to sleep with her, and most of all she really enjoyed the night with Gus and his friends, therefore it makes sense that the had what they had.

It is really good to knwo that a season 2 is confirmed :)

they were about the leave the country thoughhhh...and they were just gonna take turns watching each other lol i'd be weirded out but i dunno if i'd go EWWWW...those sisters were fairly attractive

tauroxd

they were about the leave the country thoughhhh...and they were just gonna take turns watching each other lol i'd be weirded out but i dunno if i'd go EWWWW...those sisters were fairly attractive

They sure were, but it would be really, really uncomfortable for me and I would have said the exact same thing he said at the end:
Maybe if one of you stay...
lol

finalflame

I have serious doubts about the masculinity of anyone who says they would not have had a threesome with those two sisters.

Serious doubts.

tauroxd

I have serious doubts about the masculinity of anyone who says they would not have had a threesome with those two sisters.

Serious doubts.

Hahahaha... I get it, I really do... But at the same time it would be very weird (and I hate how easily that word is thrown around) to me to have 2 sisters in that situation... Like that is not a situation for siblings to share... It is not!

Just finished the show. Really enjoyed it. Yes Gus and Mickey did a lot of fucked up things, but they are aware of their issues. And Mickey at least is trying to change. It's a difficult road for her with plenty of relapses. I really feel sorry for her character. Gus seemed to get worse as the show went on. His ego gets easily infalted and deflated. He's really not that different from Mickey, he just never fell into an addiction.

I liked the supporting characters a lot, with Bertie being my favorite. Happy she stood up for herself.

Overall it was a very relateable show. I saw traits of my own and people I know in a lot of these characters. Can't wait to see them again. You know things are going to be very rocky next season. The final scene is sweet with a very sad and harmful underbelly.

Lupercal

Banned
Hahahaha... I get it, I really do... But at the same time it would be very weird (and I hate how easily that word is thrown around) to me to have 2 sisters in that situation... Like that is not a situation for siblings to share... It is not!

What's weird about it, they're not your sisters.

What's weird about it, they're not your sisters.

Yeah, and my dick don't care about that shit. So far, that's been the most "oh my god what is he doing?" scene in the show for me, closely followed by
him blowing off that hot and incredibly friendly girl at the party.

PaulloDEC

Finished the series tonight. Enjoyed the show for what it was, but found spending time with those characters got more and more tiring as things went along. By the end I was glad to be rid of them,
especially Gus, who proved to be much more of an asshole than he initially seemed.

Not sure if I'll be watching S2. It's a good show, but these characters are a little on the toxic side for my tastes.

Breads

Banned
Glad to see Britta get more work. I saw this on Netflix but truth be told I was never interested but now that I know she is involved I will give it a shot.

I loved this show and now I can't wait for the next season.

It also contains the most accurate smartphone use on a TV show ever!

Gray Matter

I loved this show and now I can't wait for the next season.

It also contains the most accurate smartphone use on a TV show ever!

Yes, it's still not 100% accurate, but I'll take it.

The thing that bothered me the most was Gus' phone, his text bubbles were in the opposite side lol

I absolutely loved this show, and honestly I'm kinda surprised by the hate most people seem to have for the two leads. Maybe I'm just a fuck up, but I find myself relating to both of them A LOT. Gus more so in the front half, and then towards the back half more so Mickey. Episode 5 was absolutely hilarious, and the other episodes had a couple good laughs in them, but I wouldn't really call this a comedy. Also, I found that movie song night thing to be just about the douchiest thing in the world. Like I wanted to punch everyone there at the first one. I was more prepared for it the second time around, and there was more happening plotwise, but oh man the first time they did that god it gave me douche-chills.

finalflame

I absolutely loved this show, and honestly I'm kinda surprised by the hate most people seem to have for the two leads. Maybe I'm just a fuck up, but I find myself relating to both of them A LOT. Gus more so in the front half, and then towards the back half more so Mickey. Episode 5 was absolutely hilarious, and the other episodes had a couple good laughs in them, but I wouldn't really call this a comedy. Also, I found that movie song night thing to be just about the douchiest thing in the world. Like I wanted to punch everyone there at the first one. I was more prepared for it the second time around, and there was more happening plotwise, but oh man the first time they did that god it gave me douche-chills.

I feel the same, and don't think we're fuck-ups. People on GAF seem to have some kind of hardball idealism and are extremely condescending and unrealistic about what the real world is like when you're an even remotely social being. It's kind of weird at times.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The show peaked at Gus saying he wished his ex died after the breakup. No but seriously that shit was hilarious in how real it was to the dudes that put out the bullshit idea that they should be friends with their exes

Just finished Season 1. It took me about half the episodes just to formulate some sort of an opinion on the show and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it still. The comedy to me was very hit or miss. Some lines made me laugh out loud but I found that a lot of the time it was either serious or simply cringe inducing. I agree with a lot of you guys' sentiments about Bertie being great. I found that I started out sort of liking Mickey and Gus and as the show went on I ended up completely disliking both of them.

As has been said, Gus is a complete asshole by the end of it. For whatever reason he completely lost interest in Mickey after the failed magic castle date, and then instead of communicating with her he shut down and randomly slept with Heidi. Lets not forget the writer's room scene either...

Mickey on the other hand is just not my kind of character. I'll give her props for seemingly wanting to change but not being able to, but at the same time she is insanely selfish and really only cares about her own interests. She kept having crazy arguments in public with people and acted like a brat at the movie theme song party.

One thing I really didn't understand is why Mickey was seemingly so obsessed with Gus by the end? She was practically stalking him. Nothing he ever did seemed that great, they're not compatible, they barely even know each other... is this just chalked up to her love/sex addiction?

Not sure if I'll hang around for Season 2. I was actually a little disappointed because I've enjoyed other Netflix originals so much in the past. I will say that the show has a fantastic soundtrack though. Every song that played during the end credits was great.

lunchtoast

On episode 4 right now just wanted to say I love this show. 1st episode sucked, would even say you could just start on episode 2 and be good. Mickey is crazy, but she's got those blue eyes...

- haha damn at the last thing Mickey said.

xenist

Was Briga Heelan created in a computer, Weird Science style? Whew!

Bertie is the best. Mickey is a mess. Gus is a cloud of toxic gas personified. He's exactly what the whole legion of internet "nice guys" is actually in real life, minus the ungodly luck with women.

Mickey and Gus have a ton of problems but some of of you are way too harsh on them. They both start the series with breakups, and neither ever really recovered from them. Gus's was probably more traumatic considering he didn't seem too have many other problems and the relationship seemed healthy. He generally gets along with people as evidenced by the amount of friends he has who really enjoy his company. And when he found out the real reason his chick broke up with him, well that's a mindfuck because the first reason is hard enough to comprehend.

And Mickey of course has her addictions to contend with. And that is a whole other issue. Sobering up can be absolutely brutal to people. It's why relapses are expected. Being used to feeding your addictions and then to stop messes with your head. And fighting the urges, whether you win or lose, is another thing that completely changes the way you function.

Then of course you add in the general terrible communication people have with each other and it's no wonder most people go through many relationships in life. Gus and Mickey were only ever really honest with each other that first day they met. After that, it was all about hiding things from each other.

But I think why they could work as a couple is because they are very different. You don't want to date someone exactly like you. Having different interests is good. It's keeps the other person interesting to you. It's just a fine balance to maintain in a relationship. And I imagine most people have very unique levels they would want to maintain. Gus's got a more sunny disposition and Mickey is more saturnine. That can be great because you know whatever conversation they have it'll be from 2 different perspectives. And they can keep each other in check. Gus can be a bit of a pushover at times and it's because he doesn't want to make waves (although he kind of overcompensates when his ego is inflated by season's end). Mickey doesn't seem to give a fuck about what the atmosphere is where ever she is. That's great for her making bold moves, but terrible when the situation calls for a certain way to act (and she also overcompensates for it by series end).

What I'm saying is, I can understand why they are attracted to eachother. They both offer traits that the other person could use in their life. They also happened to meet at crazy times in their lives. And so it's no surprise it goes south very fast.

RedAssedApe

Banned
^Its clear that Gus still has issues due to the breakup. We see brief glimpses of it (
listening to recorded therapy sessions in the car) but we don't see it expanded on to the level of Mickey (her attending meetings, talking to sponsors and friends about her addiction)
so we automatically label him as the bigger asshole of the two because he's "normal" and not "sick" like her. That and to be honest...like in real life, people are a lot more likely to get away with shit and be forgiven for something if they are attractive.

Was Briga Heelan created in a computer, Weird Science style? Whew!

Bertie is the best. Mickey is a mess. Gus is a cloud of toxic gas personified. He's exactly what the whole legion of internet "nice guys" is actually in real life, minus the ungodly luck with women.

that's unfair. most of us nice guys would have done the
threesome
without a thought lol

My favorite line of the series for no apparent reason:

When Gus is feeling cocky and talking to the craft services guy, he does a basketball shot throwing away a piece of garbage into a garbage can, misses completely and says, "Can't buy a bucket." Then thanks a woman for picking his garbage up for him and putting it away.

Enco

Great show. Hilarious and incredibly awkward. So good.

Don't get the Gus hate at all. He's better than most nerd/neck beard stereotypes. He actually stands up for himself and isn't a pushover loser. He does some douchebag things and got worse in the last 2 episodes but he's still likeable. There are a lot of assholes but the show is still awesome.

This is the first show to make me crack up since I remember.

edit: actually, both Mickey and Gus do some out of character and dumb things

faridmon

Watched 5 Episode of it. Love it. Anything Apatow makes sits right with me and this is just another. Loving this monotone flat atmosphere this show is going for and I sort of relate to many things this show refers to.

Everyone is an asshole at some point in their life. And if on the day you are an asshole and you interact with someone once, that person will forever think of you as an asshole.

I'm not going to hold that against Mickey and Gus, especially when they are descending into shitty periods in their lives. If they don't wise up by series end (and the finale seems to indicate they don't like the people they are) then I'll consider them pieces of shit.

faridmon

Just finished the whole series. Yeah, that last episode was just downright uncomfortable to watch. I actually liked Gus before this episode. Normally, the most awkward people tend to turn to be assholes once given some power instantly, but that last episode was just downright awful. Gus was just pure vehement of a human being, the child actress was abhorrent and MIcky is just selfish up to the end.

However, I liked Micky in the end, she is destructive and she knows it

I am still looking forward to anything Aptow do in the future.

gdt

Me and my GF watched this whole thing in 2 days. Was excellent. We both loved it. These two should just stay away from each other.

Immediately after finishing Master of Noke, I decided to watch the first episode of this and I haven't been so uncomfortable since I watched Scott's Tots. Almost anytime Gus is on the screen, I'm pretty much thinking, "what's he gonna do that'll make me want to hit him this time." And christ, after the pool party thing, the
almost threesome
... Why?! How?! Damn I cringed so hard I skipped ahead a bit, but went back.

I'll keep watching. It had some funny moments and it feels pretty fresh. But damn, it's so uncomfortable. I'm guessing that doesn't let up?

I was not expecting to like this so much, but I think it was fantastic and I can't wait for the next season. Also, Bertie is the best and it's only a matter of time before that actress is headlining her own show.

dubq

It's strange when a show hits home. I really enjoyed it, but it seriously resonated with a lot of my experiences as a 30-something. The SLAA stuff in particular.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The show pretty much sets the tone with Gus when his ex calls him "fake nice", asks what he wants to happen to her, and he basically wishes death on her (which was fucking hilarious). Just moments before he wanted to be friends.

OnPoint

Started this last night, watched a few episodes in
just finished the episode where he goes on the date with Bertie
. I really like it so far. Excited to see where it ends up.

Quick

Banned
Episode 8.

Briga Heelan, lawwwwwd.
The sex scene with her Witchita dirty talk was hot.

I caught about a couple of minutes of episode 9, with Heidi and Gus in the morning. Gus seems incredibly indifferent or slightly negative with Heidi, who seems a lot nicer of a person than Mickey. I'm guessing he's torn on Mickey, but this is judging from a short period of time. Finishing the season might round this all out for me.

OnPoint

On the last episode now.

I was with Gus up until this episode and I feel like they kind of took him off the rails a bit. Yes he was a dick a little bit in the previous episode, but they really dialed it up here and it feels unnatural. Curious to see where it goes, he just got fired. But I'm a little worried for the first time.

linsivvi

Don't really like the show that much. Only watched it because of Gillian Jacobs so I'm not sure I'll continue with season 2.

OnPoint

All done.

Overall I liked it. I do feel like they kind of did Gus dirty in the writer's room -- both figuratively and literally. He displayed high strung tendencies but the whole thing with the laptop was a bit too outlandish. Regardless, they brought him back to Earth I guess, for some purpose? And then they puss out and he kisses her when she should walk away leaving him right where he started at the beginning. So it's a mixed message and I'm not really sure what they were going for. I don't know, it was a weak conclusion to an otherwise enjoyable season. Curious about where they take season 2, but it's definitely already on make or break ice for me.

OnPoint

Surprising lack of discussion in here, especially compared to other shows. Is this not being watched?

Well, it wasn't really a conclusion. That is where there is a season 2 coming.

Um... right...? I didn't imply it was and even mention curiosity about season 2 afterward, so I'm clearly aware. I pretty obviously meant the conclusion to the season, as most final episodes in a season are attempting to leave you with some kind of point or feeling some kind of way. The ending here
just kind of... is.
Which is unique, but I don't know if it's good.

After letting it sink in a bit since last night, I kind of feel Gus
kissing Micky there is the most dickish move he made all season. She just went off about how she needs to be alone to sort her shit out and he does what's best for him because he's feeling like a turd and needs some validation. It was his most purely selfish move and honestly, pretty deplorable. And maybe pretty realistic, honestly.

ZeroX03

Banned
They started shooting S2 today, which is a very quick turnaround thanks to the early renewal. Wonder if it could get pushed forward to late this year instead of 2017. I think Netflix might be a bit packed though.

Montresor

I've been trying to watch episode 5 for about a week.

I just can't. I like this show but the awkwardness in this episode is almost too much. I watch one minute and then face palm and switch to a different show or movie. Right now Im up to the 13-minute mark and Gus just said the waiter isn't a nice guy despite giving free drinks. Aaaaaaaahhhh this is amazing and horrible at the same time. I feel so embarrassed for these characters.

OnPoint

I just can't. I like this show but the awkwardness in this episode is almost too much. I watch one minute and then face palm and switch to a different show or movie. Right now Im up to the 13-minute mark and Gus just said the waiter isn't a nice guy despite giving free drinks. Aaaaaaaahhhh this is amazing and horrible at the same time. I feel so embarrassed for these characters.

The high-water mark for awkward on this show, and maybe for me, any show ever. I was physically cringing. But it's worth pushing past.

xenist

Stick with it. It gets hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom