• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love |OT| We've all been there (Apatow, Gillian Jacobs, Paul Rust) Netflix Feb 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTripper

Not feeling it after 2 episodes. I don't feel anything for these characters really. Gus is somewhat charming because he's sort of relatable by being nerdy and awkward but that's about it. Mickey just makes bad choices all the time and I'm not really a fan of her personality.

I can't tell if the show is trying to be more comedy than drama or the other way around at times because when it does try to do either of those things it just feels flat.

I'll probably give it a couple more episodes just because, but as of now it has nothing on Master of None.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's really kind of absurd the number of women who are into Gus during the two weeks or so in which this season takes place.

Also, Jordan Rock was quite funny in his role here.

Almost made me turn off the tv when he showed up.. but he was actually sort of ok for the time he was on the screen.
Yeah, he wasn't bad, although I'm not sure what the show really gained by
having a celebrity play himself in that role. Did being a known personality contribute anything to Mickey's self-reflection that night? Does Andy Dick's own baggage add something to the conversation? Or could it have just been a regular person that Mickey ends up hanging out with?
I'm not sure.

Yeah, I thought Mickey was bad, but then Gus in episodes 8, 9 and 10 happened.

Those two are toxic together and season two is going to be an emotional bloodbath. Gus really is a massive asshole thinly veiled with a nice guy persona and Mickey will take any excuse to fuck with normalcy. That final scene with the Instagram is insanely manipulative shit on both of their parts Kudos to the writers on how petty they made them both with that. Is that kind of social media shit what people actually do? Jesus.
Can you expand on how you thought
Mickey was being manipulative in the last sequence
? I did not feel that way.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Not feeling it after 2 episodes. I don't feel anything for these characters really. Gus is somewhat charming because he's sort of relatable by being nerdy and awkward but that's about it. Mickey just makes bad choices all the time and I'm not really a fan of her personality.

I can't tell if the show is trying to be more comedy than drama or the other way around at times because when it does try to do either of those things it just feels flat.

I'll probably give it a couple more episodes just because, but as of now it has nothing on Master of None.

there's the acting. it is a bit of a slow burner though.

Rembrandt

Banned

She most likely realized his post was indicative of his relationship with that actress not working out, so she caught him when he was feeling vulnerable.

ZeroX03

Banned

She stalked his location only to have a pathetic emotional outburst to garner sympathy. And Gus made his location known to give her the chance to do that. Pretty fucked ip behavior on both their parts.

DJKhaled

I really appreciate the insight and information. I'm asking because of the latter reason. I feel like in some premium cable shows and some movies, sex and violence are depicted in a gratuitous way that to.me personally as a viewer at the very least takes me out of the show. So I am glad to know in this show the content is both not frequent as well as not as gratuitous from the sounds of it. I wouldn't want my biases and assumptions to get in the way of watching something I'd otherwise enjoy, so I truly appreciate your detailed reply. Thank you.

jesus christ, some people are so hung up over sex. who cares about it, it's completely natural and in a show like this it is pretty fitting.

EDIT:

Loved the show, Gus is a shitty person though, so was Mickey but she admitted it. Gus was just a shitty person that always had an excuse for his shitty behaviour,
the fact that she felt like she had to say sorry to him even though he kinda cheated on her and fucked her over. But anyway, loved the show, disliked Gus.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
First episode was kind of boring and meandering. I think Master of None did the lonely 30-something big city angst thing much better.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Episode 7: Wow, Mickey
using her vibrator was some brutal stuff. She acted like a bitch the entire date. 'We fucked, so give me your coat'.
Damn...

icespide

Banned
this is a dumb thing but I appreciate the attention to detail with who is texting who and who has an iPhone and iMessages are blue otherwise they're green

Balls

Banned
Just finished it. If you're a Apatow fan you'll definitely enjoy this. Overall a good show and I can't wait for season 2.

Episode 10 thoughts:
Gus going for the kiss at the end there was a pretty shitty thing to do. They're both heavily flawed people but at least Mickey seems to be aware of her problems.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Just finished it. If you're a Apatow fan you'll definitely enjoy this. Overall a good show and I can't wait for season 2.

Episode 10 thoughts:
Gus going for the kiss at the end there was a pretty shitty thing to do. They're both heavily flawed people but at least Mickey seems to be aware of her problems.

Seems like
his ex was actually kind of right about him. It's hard to completely get behind either of them by the end but at that same time I kind of want to root for them despite the train wreck

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
She most likely realized his post was indicative of his relationship with that actress not working out, so she caught him when he was feeling vulnerable.
She stalked his location only to have a pathetic emotional outburst to garner sympathy. And Gus made his location known to give her the chance to do that. Pretty fucked ip behavior on both their parts.
I guess I'm leaning a little more into her
having legitimate addiction issues and she couldn't help herself upon seeing his posting. While acknowledging that love addition isn't a recognized clinical disorder, she seems more a victim of her addictive and codependent tendencies, and she didn't have the will to steer away from the bait Gus was throwing. That he listens to her little spiel and then kisses her, yikes, that was what she was saying she really shouldn't be doing. I think he's much more conscious and deliberate with his actions than she is. That's not to say she's a great person otherwise, she clearly has plenty of other personality problems, but she seems to have some awareness of the healthy behaviors she should be pursuing, even if she keeps failing.

Very intrigued by the differing reads on that sequence however.

golem

Loved the show, Gus is a shitty person though, so was Mickey but she admitted it. Gus was just a shitty person that always had an excuse for his shitty behaviour,
the fact that she felt like she had to say sorry to him even though he kinda cheated on her and fucked her over. But anyway, loved the show, disliked Gus.

Gus is definitely a shitty person, but even if Mickey knows shes a shitty person doing shitty things, she just keeps on doing them-- that behavior seems worse to me.

I wonder how dark things will get next season

Montresor

Haha, yeah, no way I would've turned that down. :lol

Not really sold on the show as a whole yet, but since the second episode is apparently good I'll definitely keep watching.

Not in one million years would I turn that down.

If my brother and I were to have a MMF threesome with a girl, that's not incest. That's my brother and I tag-teaming a girl and having a story we'll always remember together.

I doubt there are many men on earth whose first reaction would be "EW" if they found out they were going to do an MFF threesome with two sisters.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished it. I liked the first half of the show way better than the second. In that half
Gus and Mickey went overboard on their bad behaviour, and became more annoying. Gus is very childish, but his laptop-flinging temper tantrum in the writer's room was on another level. I can't see anyone ever doing something like that, it's cringe-inducing but also very unbelievable. At the end though, you kinda see his ex was right about him. He's a shitty guy, and him reeling in Mickey again at the end of ep10 is just going to cause more heartbreak.

I'm glad it's getting a second season, because this is definitely a show I can see improving over time.

Acorn

Not in one million years would I turn that down.

If my brother and I were to have a MMF threesome with a girl, that's not incest. That's my brother and I tag-teaming a girl and having a story we'll always remember together.

I doubt there are many men on earth whose first reaction would be "EW" if they found out they were going to do an MFF threesome with two sisters.
I know zero guys who would turn it down and know two cousins who tag teamed a girl. It ain't incest unless they're fucking

Edit: I'm irrationally angry at the forced cringe laugh

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think in the end I enjoyed the show on its own, but considering Master of None wasn't that long ago, I still think Master of None was the better show in my eyes. Gus being just a generic nebbish nerdy 30-something guy whose only trait is being milquetoast was really just boring to watch, particularly when pretty much every other character around him - even Arya - was just more interesting that he was.

Mickey being in a self-destructive cycle of ending relationships violently and then running back to them because of her sex and love addition is interesting, but it's kind of sad/pathetic that the show basically ends the way it does considering all that happens to her.

Acorn

I think in the end I enjoyed the show on its own, but considering Master of None wasn't that long ago, I still think Master of None was the better show in my eyes. Gus being just a generic nebbish nerdy 30-something guy whose only trait is being milquetoast was really just boring to watch, particularly when pretty much every other character around him - even Arya - was just more interesting that he was.

Mickey being in a self-destructive cycle of ending relationships violently and then running back to them because of her sex and love addition is interesting, but it's kind of sad/pathetic that the show basically ends the way it does considering all that happens to her.
He's a walking stereotype, it's lazy cringe comedy. I like it overall but he sucks.

It's like he watched the 40 year old virgin and the uk office then combined it into one walking stereotypical loser who doesn't exist.

ngower

Binging this show and really enjoying it. The dinner/date scene was hilarious. It's a lighthearted fun show, not really taking it as seriously as some of you seem to be.

Acorn

Binging this show and really enjoying it. The dinner/date scene was hilarious. It's a lighthearted fun show, not really taking it as seriously as some of you seem to be.
It hurts it that master of none is still recent and does everything better.

newjeruse

Just finished binging it. Really enjoyed it. Not on the level of Master of None, but right below it. I do find shows/movies based in LA to be a little of a buzzkill, so it had that to overcome. I do think as of now, Mickey seems like an irredeemably awful person. And I hate how shows do that. I wish they would make her a little more charming. There's no way a Jersey girl would look down on a movie title theme creation night.

The scene where Gus throws Blu-Rays out the window is probably the closest thing to New No-no's the show will have.

ZeroX03

Banned
I feel like a recurring pattern with Mickey is as soon as a large group of people are enjoying something she can't help but hate it and can't hide it. She seems a lot better in one on one circumstances.

maxcriden

jesus christ, some people are so hung up over sex. who cares about it, it's completely natural and in a show like this it is pretty fitting.

You don't know me or where I'm coming from, so I'll ask you to please not judge me or call me out simply because have different opinions on this. Thank you.

TraBuch

Banned
The two main characters in You're The Worst are even more horrible, but I somehow find them a lot more likeable, too.

Bladenic

Finished it. Liked it a good bit, will watch S2, Netflix killing it. Gillian was great, Bertie was the best character and I hope she's in S2 even more, and Gus sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom