• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Low Disk Space (Thanks to Symantec)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I partitioned my new 120GB hard drive into 5 and 115GB back when I got it, thinking 5GB should be plenty for the OS and whatever else necessarily goes on the main partition. Unfortunately, Symantec Antivirus (school forces us to use it while living on-campus) is taking up 1.8GB in just one folder, and I really want to get rid of that stuff, the partition is running dangerously low on space (<800mb). The folder goes to c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\symantec\norton antivirus corporate edition\7.5\I2_LDVP.TMP\dec. The files in there are rather large, the biggest of which is 800mb itself. I'm not sure if the AV program really needs all of these, but I'm not about to just delete them outright and end up screwing up the whole system.

Could I just move these to the other partition, and leave shortcuts in their place?

DarthWoo

Well, that's what it is at after a disk cleanup. There's a point at which it falls to around 300 or lower during the beginning of a full scan, and it actually warns me about it.

Temple's Symantec Antivirus sucks badly. Its useful but man it seems to slow the whole computer down.

I'm not sure what you should do about the partition though. Does it really keep taking more space up because I haven't noticed any space on my hard drive disappearing.

Ecrofirt

I've got a 10GB Windows partition, and come to think of it, it's probably NIS that's quickly eating away at my space. Damnit.

Che

Banned
Lemurnator said:
All I know is that symantec creates another 10 processes and slows my computer the fuck down.

Panda Antivirus Titanium. One of the best (if not the best) antivirus program. Symantec products seriously suck unless you know how to disable its processes though Services and msconfig. And even this doesn't work always. For example in Norton 2005 you must have 4-5 services enabled just to run the damn software.

Neo_ZX

Although Norton seems to be the industry standard AV program, man it has gotten really bloated in recent iterations. The scanning Window is one annoying bitch and that scanning never seemed to take as long before. NAV also fails to pick up on a lot of viruses that others do.

I've never really had a big virus problem, but a lot of people I know have done scans with other packages after doing a NAV scan and will pick up things that Norton missed.

DarthWoo

Unfortunately, switching AV software isn't an option while I'm on the school's network. If I just moved the files to the larger partition and left shortcuts, shouldn't they be able to read them anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom