• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Low poly love [WARNING - Image Intensive]

gelf

Emulated gifs of PS1/Saturn games. was the point I was making.

On saturn emulation. Most Saturn pics you can find are usually more genuine then PS1 shots as the most used and compatible emulator for Saturn SSF doesn't allow any upscaling at all. The alternative emu Yabause is buggy or incompatible with a lot of games especially in the OpenGL needed to render at higher res. But anyway I don't think upscaled and cleaned up screenshots matter for what this thread is about though. Also the Virtua Fighter 2 gif in the OP looks like the arcade version to me.

One game I can get running in OpenGL in Yabause though is Panzer Dragoon Zwei. So I offer my own bullshots of low poly Saturn goodness.
8DYML5j.jpg

XlOUgO8.jpg

vivin

Woah,

I stumbled upon this thread, because im an obvious fan of low poly art styles, wasnt expecting anyone talking about Ashen haha. Im glad the style is resonating with other fans of the low poly style.

The interesting thing is, Ashen isnt true "low poly" as I use quite high poly counts on the models, as most of the details are captured in the geo, and dont rely on textures such as normal maps. In that sense, ashen is a bit of a hybrid/love child of both low poly and high poly styles :)

Woah,

I stumbled upon this thread, because im an obvious fan of low poly art styles, wasnt expecting anyone talking about Ashen haha. Im glad the style is resonating with other fans of the low poly style.

The interesting thing is, Ashen isnt true "low poly" as I use quite high poly counts on the models, as most of the details are captured in the geo, and dont rely on textures such as normal maps. In that sense, ashen is a bit of a hybrid/love child of both low poly and high poly styles :)
How's development going? You guys were quiet for a while, glad to see some more recent screenshots and footage on Twitter and the site.

I don't know if World of Warcraft really applies that well here, but...

wow-64_2015_05_08_14_shu6t.png

Some of the environments are absolutely gorgeous. Took this now on an area that's pretty much not been updated

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
You know, one interesting result of having a very low poly art style is that you should be able to afford proper geometric shadow cones for every object in the scene, for multiple light sources too.

I wonder if there's anything recent out there that has tried this.

vivin

How's development going? You guys were quiet for a while, glad to see some more recent screenshots and footage on Twitter and the site.

We went quiet for a few months as we investigated/ported the game over to UE4 ;) so there wasnt much new to show haha. We hope to have something kinda cool to be showing off in the near future :D

Back on topic, Im always impressed how much people can pull off with very small poly/texture budgets. This is one of my favs from years back(not from a specific game, just game fan art)

CZWzYEJ.jpg

lazygecko

The lack of bilinear texture filtering kills this aesthetic for me. I loved both the PS1 and the Saturn but it was an ugly time, especially as a gamer with a PC/3D accelerator, and coming from the lovely 16 bit 2D hand-crafted feel to the dead pre-rendered backgrounds, blurry low-res textures, pixel crawl of the PS1 and Saturn, etc., I would not say that it was a beautiful time.

Console 3D gaming impressed me with the Dreamcast. Most games were still low-poly but had much better textures and texture filtering.

Filtering depends entirely on the nature of the textures. Textures that were specifically created at low resolutions like 64x64 and then tiled a lot I find tend to scale up really well with nearest neighbor. Metal Gear Solid was brought up earlier but I find this also applies to plenty of mid 90s games like Quake. I think it's mostly due to a lot of the textures relying on one pixel wide lines and dots to define detail, and I find this to be diminished a great deal when filtered.

quaketex1o4ujs.gif
quaketex2pvur6.gif

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

I made these! :)
since the topic of emulators is being discussed, I'll note that the VFRemix gif was made from the original hardware and the VF2 gif was made using a Model 2 emulator. So that's the arcade version. It's just a really good looking game.

Also that Akira combo is bad but I wanted to show off his one frame knee :D

missile

Filtering depends entirely on the nature of the textures. Textures that were specifically created at low resolutions like 64x64 and then tiled a lot I find tend to scale up really well with nearest neighbor. Metal Gear Solid was brought up earlier but I find this also applies to plenty of mid 90s games like Quake. I think it's mostly due to a lot of the textures relying on one pixel wide lines and dots to define detail, and I find this to be diminished a great deal when filtered.

quaketex1o4ujs.gif
quaketex2pvur6.gif
Good point. :+

vetrox

The games being rendered at very low (240p - 480p) resolutions also had a lot to do with it. The low fidelity of rendering obscured much of the very simplistic geometry, essentially abstracting it for us. Old 3D games played at modern resolutions get a very different feel because of that. Especially emulated PS1 games have their wobbly, unstable polygons greatly exasperated. It was all there in the first place, it's just that we didn't notice it. Very much like how old dithered 2D graphics were designed around poor TV/video outputs in that regard.

Yep. The original, unaltered image on the left is the superior one. It loses all of it's charm with the muddy, smoothed out textures. These should be viewed as they are, in the format they were meant to be viewed at. They are indeed art. They lose all of their charm if seen any other way.

Some modern remakes also suffers from this effect. Resident Evil 4 still looks better to me on the GC/PS2/Wii than the recent HD port does.

Even Durantes DSfix for Dark Souls detracts from the original vision in my opinion, even though I see how many couldn't play without it.

AgeEighty

Ehhhh.... no. I think this generation looks hideous. Second only to the Atari 2600 in terms of how badly the graphics have aged.

Even the best-looking polygonal games of this generation are ugly.

Crisium

needs more saturn love in here...

brb with some hopefully soon

Shinrei Jusatsushi Tarōmaru (心霊呪殺師 太郎丸):

taromaru-4.png
taromaru-2.png

taromaru-10.png
Nnebt8x.png

boss-1.png

Images stolen from here:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/taromaru/taromaru.htm

Clockwork Knight games:

Grandia:

Pandemonium:

Croc:

Ninpen Manmaru (忍ペンまん丸):

Wachenröder:
15.jpg
shot2.jpg

q8jsIrK.jpg
TUlLJV0.jpg

ibsn4wf.jpg
H4LOI44.jpg

Images stolen from:
http://www.satakore.com/sega-saturn-game,,GS-9183,,Wachenroder-JPN.html

epmode

I really love high-resolution, low-poly stuff. Flat shaded or simple textures both look great so long as the textures are unfiltered.

So yeah, these threads are great.

Wings of Saint Nazaire has an impressive art style that still calls back to older games and an older aesthetic

This game looks phenomenal but isn't it using a bunch of sprites? Just like Wing Commander 1 and 2.

vilmer_

Some of these shots are just fantastic! The mid to late 90's for me was the pinnacle of gaming. Dusting off the old PSX now.

Lijik

18061737485_c853c87d35_k.jpg

Don't forget Blasto on PSX [in 4k using PCSX-Reloaded].

I remember as a kid just being really taken with the pixelated planet backgrounds. Im not really sure why, might be how flat shaded and obviously polygonal the rest of the game was compared to them.

Temporal Mess

Neo Member
YES. I love the look of PS1 games, even now. I don't know if it's just nostalgia or if there's actually some aesthetic reason, but I just love how the lighting, meshes and textures look in games from this era.

lara5.jpg

Low poly Lara is best Lara.

Voyevoda

YES. I love the look of PS1 games, even now. I don't know if it's just nostalgia or if there's actually some aesthetic reason, but I just love how the lighting, meshes and textures look in games from this era.

lara5.jpg

This. I tend to find most N64 games horrible-looking. But I just absolutely love the look of PS1 games.

Temporal Mess

Neo Member
This. I tend to find most N64 games horrible-looking. But I just absolutely love the look of PS1 games.

All my N64 gaming was done at my grandmother's house, as she owned the console, not me, so I definitely probably have some bias towards the PS1 since that was the console I played more.

But I was replaying Mario 64 a couple of months back and the textures and lighting just didn't seem to compliment the low poly models as well as they did with PS1 titles.

Again, I'm likely super biased in regards to this.

Yeah I love low poly. that's when games started getting more interesting and creative imo(in regards to exploiting limitations).

lara5.jpg

This is not a screenshot from the PS1 game, I'm pretty sure this is the PC version.

itsmanny

Neo Member
Ha, thread comes absolutely in time for my first post :) Here are some screenshots from a game I have worked on back then. It was called Navy Seals: Covert Operations a TC for Q3. Maybe somebody here even remembers it, it was quite popular back then :)

bLvIKbB.jpg

7knvhlc.jpg

lQRCo4c.jpg

H8D8q06.jpg

OIwZkMU.jpg

RDHBTwm.jpg

The Orz

Finally managed to get Cool Cool Toon running in NullDC. Every bit as good as I remember it (except for the "notty" bits. Those can bite me). A great little hidden gem for the Dreamcast that does wonders with flat textures and limited polygons. And the music's fun, too!

Top Bottom