• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTT(ghetto)P: Saints Row

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I rented this game knowing an ice storm was coming, and knowing full well this city would shut down completely (Austin, TX) as soon as any ice showed up on a sidewalk within 10 miles of town (think im kidding? mail service was suspended).

This game is alot of fun, and at about 40% of the way through (according to the save file) Im having more fun here than any of the GTA games.

The game is embarasing as hell just because of the nature of annoying charachters and its a blatant rip off, but it does enough new and polished well enough to be worth the time spent on it. THe whole "Gang" aspect is pretty nice. Its really cool when Im in a gun fight with the cops or another gang to intentionally drive them into a neighborhood controled by my guys and just watch them tear shit apart for me.

It does seem REALLY short though.. GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas were not only much much larger maps, they seemed to have alot more missions as well.

Glad I didnt buy the game, but will certainly look into any sequals if they make the nature of the game (freckle bitches, etc) less retarded and give me a larger environment to roam through.

StoOgE said:
It does seem REALLY short though.. GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas were not only much much larger maps, they seemed to have alot more missions as well.

You must've not played the game that much, because the map in Saints Row is bigger than GTA3, and Vice City, but not as big as San Andreas.

And atleast for me on my first run through of SR it took me 30 hours to beat, which was more than GTA3, and Vice City.

Saints Row's "side quests" are more varied and fun than GTA3's and Vice City's.

StoOgE

maybe the city is larger.. I will say this, it seems much more like a city and less like a game map than the GTA games. The highway system actually lets you get around the city quickly, the cities layout makes sense, etc.

Also much easier to make money and stay armed. I do agree on the variety of sub-games being better as well. I like drug running, you really get to mess some stuff up while in the passenger seat.

Razoric

Banned
StoOgE said:
maybe the city is larger.. I will say this, it seems much more like a city and less like a game map than the GTA games. The highway system actually lets you get around the city quickly, the cities layout makes sense, etc.

Also much easier to make money and stay armed. I do agree on the variety of sub-games being better as well. I like drug running, you really get to mess some stuff up while in the passenger seat.

I agree 100%... Saints Row city is a LOT better designed than the GTA cities.

If Saints Row had better licensed music, and better talk radio stations it would've been my favorite "sandbox" game. Thats the best thing about the GTA games, the radio stations.

pr0cs

It's my most played game this year, last I checked I think I have most of the single player achievements now and it said 55 hours played.

I never got bored in Saint's Row like the GTA series, the side-missions/activities in Saint's Row are really well done and like it was stated, ragdoll physics never gets old... how could flying flaming screaming corpses get old really?

I felt bad when Saints Row came out because I loved it so much it felt like I was cheating on my betrothed, Crackdown. Now Crackdown is almost here and I'm so hyped I feel like I'm cheating on Saints Row. :/

And that dalliance with Just Cause, that didn't mean nothing baby. We had fun together, but I love you.

newsguy

BobJustBob said:
And that dalliance with Just Cause, that didn't mean nothing baby. We had fun together, but I love you.

Dump that whore. She's real pretty but the sex is bad, real bad.

BobJustBob said:
I felt bad when Saints Row came out because I loved it so much it felt like I was cheating on my betrothed, Crackdown. Now Crackdown is almost here and I'm so hyped I feel like I'm cheating on Saints Row. :/

I know you think you have something special going with Saints Row, but I've been tagging that ass for months.

And I wouldn't make any serious engagement plans with Crackdown cause, uh, let's just say she won't be able to wear white on her wedding day, if you know what I mean.

MMaRsu

Banned
mysticstylez said:
If Saints Row had better licensed music, and better talk radio stations it would've been my favorite "sandbox" game. Thats the best thing about the GTA games, the radio stations.

Well actually I like the hiphop in Saints Row ( also, the classic station ) much better than any GTA games.

Ofcourse for people who like rock and stuff more than hiphop, I can see where you're coming from :).

The hiphop in SR is more..how do I say this..underground? I mean you got some Wu Tang and some other cool hiphop..and in GTA it's just more like commercial stuff ( but also some very good songs ).

But yeah, Saints Row is a damn good game, screw the haters :). Ofcourse it's a very blatant knockoff from GTA, but it does alot of things much better than GTA ever did.

StoOgE

I like the hip hop in this game as well.. but its not my normal cup of tea, and the rock stations are pure crap. Whenever Fall out Boy is the "good song" something has gone horribly wrong.

Luckily custom soundtracks fixed that. I actually thought the radio stations were pretty well done in this game.. about as good as GTA's. They are a complete rip off, but they worked well.

I still say the missions in this game are shorter than GTA's. I seem to be speeding through them much quicker. Part of that is because I seem motivated to do the stores since gaining territory has such an advantage when just fing around as well (having homies nearbye to help with cops is great)..

Im to the point where Im probably going to have this thing beat tommorow (Ive finshed the Vice Kings and Rollers story lines completely, and am a few missions into the carnales)... then I figure there is something to do once I control the city.. if the game didnt force me to earn rep I would have finished it by now.. kudos to the designers on that.. the side quests are good enough and varied enough that I dont feel like Im being forced to gain rep, even though I am.

The more time I spend with this game the happier I am with it... if this game was a little more goodfellas and a little less Fast and the Furious in style I would be much happier.

If the game stays as playable after Ive polished off the main story I may purchase this one.. but with crackdown just around the corner I might go that way as well.

I like the hip hop in Saints Row too, bu it doesn't have an overall good catalog of music. The other genres are sorely lacking.

The soundtrack in San Andreas was monnumental, great music spanning all genres, even country music.

MMaRsu

Banned
StoOgE said:
I like the hip hop in this game as well.. but its not my normal cup of tea, and the rock stations are pure crap. Whenever Fall out Boy is the "good song" something has gone horribly wrong.

Luckily custom soundtracks fixed that. I actually thought the radio stations were pretty well done in this game.. about as good as GTA's. They are a complete rip off, but they worked well.

I still say the missions in this game are shorter than GTA's. I seem to be speeding through them much quicker. Part of that is because I seem motivated to do the stores since gaining territory has such an advantage when just fing around as well (having homies nearbye to help with cops is great)..

Im to the point where Im probably going to have this thing beat tommorow (Ive finshed the Vice Kings and Rollers story lines completely, and am a few missions into the carnales)... then I figure there is something to do once I control the city.. if the game didnt force me to earn rep I would have finished it by now.. kudos to the designers on that.. the side quests are good enough and varied enough that I dont feel like Im being forced to gain rep, even though I am.

The more time I spend with this game the happier I am with it... if this game was a little more goodfellas and a little less Fast and the Furious in style I would be much happier.

If the game stays as playable after Ive polished off the main story I may purchase this one.. but with crackdown just around the corner I might go that way as well.

The game gives you some real nice bonusses for the hitman missions, even though those are a pain in the ass.

And uhh, save before the last mission :)

StoOgE

MMaRsu said:
The game gives you some real nice bonusses for the hitman missions, even though those are a pain in the ass.

And uhh, save before the last mission :)

I allready know the ending. I read it by accident back when the game shipped

MMaRsu

Banned
StoOgE said:
I allready know the ending. I read it by accident back when the game shipped

Yeah I read it too, some asshole made a thread on it right here on Neogaf before the game shipped afaik..

Fewr

The classic station is good. The only mission I had to repeat was the last one in the Los Carnales story.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
There's absolutely nothing 'ghetto' about this game...for the record.

JB1981 said:
pretty much hated this game, although it did look pretty
It looked disastrous.

Gameplay was fun and it had some small innovations for a sandbox game, but it was heavily marred by its awful graphical engine and the annoying 'gangsta' setting. The latter being the same reason why I wasn't fond of San Andreas either.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
MicVlaD said:
It looked disastrous.

Gameplay was fun and it had some small innovations for a sandbox game, but it was heavily marred by its awful graphical engine and the annoying 'gangsta' setting. The latter being the same reason why I wasn't fond of San Andreas either.

I distinctly remember you raving about the polka music though. Admit at least this!

XSamu

Banned
StoOgE said:
Yeah, but isn't that a good thing? In Saints Row I actually had the impression of driving around in a real city, in the contrary of all of the GTA games.

Nevertheless, GTA SA was more fun than Saints Row.

XSamu

Banned
MicVlaD said:
It looked disastrous.

WHAT?! Omfg, you never played the game... HATER.

Saints Row looked really good for a sandbox game, that's a fact no one can deny.

XSamu said:
WHAT?! Omfg, you never played the game... HATER.

Saints Row looked really good for a sandbox game, that's a fact no one can deny.
:lol

Sure thing, jackass.

And no, it doesn't look 'really good'. Saint's Row is severely unpolished. Constant screen tearing, iffy lightning, clipping issues (bodies sticking through objects like cars, amusing as it may be), laughable framerate (albeit slightly better than the demo), disappearing textures and objects (WHEN THEY'RE RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU), interlacing issues, all three pop's (in, out and up), limited draw-in which affects the gameplay, and I'm sure I'm forgetting other stuff. Could be that there are less problems when playing the game in 480p, but Saint's Row is the ugliest next-gen sandbox game consoles by far. If you call it pretty and dismiss either Just Cause or Crackdown at the same time, you need to buy a pair of glasses.

Yes, I'm aware that the patch added vsync (which in turn decreases the framerate even more) and that only some versions of the game suffer from interlacing (if the fishnet problem is indeed called like that), but that still doesn't make Saint's Row a pretty game. Volition could've used another three months, badly.

Aside from that, I did have some fun with the gameplay as I mentioned earlier, otherwise I wouldn't have finished it, would I? But to me, overall it doesn't deserve more than a 7, mainly because the amount of technical errors which do affect the gameplay in one way or another. Not only that, the online experience was a joke, out of the box: the lag was ridiculous, even more so than what Volition dared to call 'co-op'. Music was also pretty meh (bar Ezzzz FM and Klassical Channel). Polka never gets old.

Next time, do come up with something better than "OMFG YOU H8 ZE GAME YUUU H8TOR!" if you don't want to make an idiot out of yourself.

McCrank

I thought Saint's Row was a perfected Grand Theft Auto. Had more fun with it in just about everyway. It's the XB360 game I've put the most hours into to complete it at %100

-Chris

XSamu

Banned
MicVlaD said:
And no, it doesn't look 'really good'. Saint's Row is severely unpolished. Constant screen tearing, iffy lightning, clipping issues (bodies sticking through objects like cars, amusing as it may be), laughable framerate (albeit slightly better than the demo), disappearing textures and objects (WHEN THEY'RE RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU), interlacing issues, all three pop's (in, out and up), limited draw-in which affects the gameplay, and I'm sure I'm forgetting other stuff. Could be that there are less problems when playing the game in 480p, but Saint's Row is the ugliest next-gen sandbox game consoles by far. If you call it pretty and dismiss either Just Cause or Crackdown at the same time, you need to buy a pair of glasses.
Put off those sony goggles, jesus christ. Saying it looks better than Just Cause... damn. The charactermodels, the carmodels, evrything looks pretty damn good.
MicVlaD said:
Next time, do come up with something better than "OMFG YOU H8 ZE GAME YUUU H8TOR!" if you don't want to make an idiot out of yourself.
Omg look @ who's making an idiot out of himself, jesus. Put of those fockin goggles, replay the game, replay GTA and Just Cause.

Saints Row was fun, Crackdown will be too

Then its GTA4 this fall, over all good year for GOOD open world games (Hell id even include godfather in there too).

Im replaying gta3 and while I LOVE GTA (3 vc and sa) the shooting control scheme damn near RUINS the missions in 3, at the time in 2001 it was an awesome expierence but going back to it now makes you wish they could patch better controls into the console version (im aware the pc version had mouse aiming).

Fusebox

Banned
BobJustBob said:

Just Cause may not have been there to cook us breaky the next morning but it sure was one hot shag.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Saint's Row was a really fun game. Big city, fun activities, the missions were fun too. I am hoping there is a sequel as I really enjoyed the game. I didn't touch multiplayer at all, but didn't need to after that long single player experience. Everytime I play a GTA game, I lose interest about halfway through it, Saint's Row kept me interested in playing the entire game.

edit - I played the Just Cause demo, seemed okay to me. I might pick it up out of the bargain bin one day.

XSamu said:
Put off those sony goggles, jesus christ. Saying it looks better than Just Cause... damn. The charactermodels, the carmodels, evrything looks pretty damn good.
In terms of polygon count, yes, definitely, but Just Cause is a whole lot more flattering to the eye and has a lot less bugs than Saint's Row. So overall, JC does look better and is technically superior in most aspects.

And 'Sony goggles'? Riiiiight. I don't own a PS1, I only bought a PS2 5 months ago, I have little to no interest to purchase a PSP, I don't intend to get a PS3 in at least 2 years and all the 360 sandbox games I mentioned aren't even scheduled for Sony consoles atm. Get a grip of yourself man...

XSamu said:
Omg look @ who's making an idiot out of himself, jesus. Put of those fockin goggles, replay the game, replay GTA and Just Cause.
Seriously, do you suffer from a mental illness? I gave you a link where it SHOWS you I finished both games, better yet: I replayed them THREE DAYS AGO (though I was offline). So according to your logic, I'm the idiot here... because... I impersonated a Saint's Row crybaby like yourself? Whilst wearing goggles that favor a console which isn't relevant here, not even in the slightest? And you suggest I should replay a game I disliked the most of all the 3D GTA's?

Christ, I'm not even hammering the gameplay here (which is fun), I'm only complaining about the technical side of Saint's Row, coupled with its soundtrack and its setting. Yet here you are, defending it like I just insulted your fancy car, being totally oblivious to the actual critiques. If anyone's wearing glasses, it's you. The size of your bullshit glasses are of gigantic proportions, capable of crushing a city inhabiting talking lungfish and providing you with psychic powers such as 'selective reading'.

So, if you can't come up with good arguments (no, "OMG HATER!" doesn't qualify as such), don't bother replying to this.

XSamu

Banned
MicVlaD said:
In terms of polygon count, yes, definitely, but Just Cause is a whole lot more flattering to the eye and has a lot less bugs than Saint's Row. So overall, JC does look better and is technically superior in most aspects.
What the hell? The animations in Just Cause are terribly bad, the island has a really nice feel to it, but put away all those shiny bloom effects (so look at the PC version) and you'll see it's nothing that spectacular. But even seriously saying Just Cause looks better and technically is better... man, it hurts.
MicVlaD said:
And 'Sony goggles'? Riiiiight. I don't own a PS1, I only bought a PS2 5 months ago, I have little to no interest to purchase a PSP, I don't intend to get a PS3 in at least 2 years and all the 360 sandbox games I mentioned aren't even scheduled for Sony consoles atm. Get a grip of yourself man...
Well then you're just plain stupid...
MicVlaD said:
Seriously, do you suffer from a mental illness? I gave you a link where it SHOWS you I finished both games, better yet: I replayed them THREE DAYS AGO (though I was offline). So according to your logic, I'm the idiot here... because... I impersonated a Saint's Row crybaby like yourself? Whilst wearing goggles that favor a console which isn't relevant here, not even in the slightest? And you suggest I should replay a game I disliked the most of all the 3D GTA's?
Your hate for the game must be troubling your vision then... I mean, there is no other explanation. I own Saints Row and find it a nice game, nothing that spectacular. I played the Just Cause demo, find the stunting really fun to do, but I wasn't very impressed by the rest (yeah the nature looks nice). So I went to play it at a friend. Offcourse the game was fun to play, but except for the nice bloomy next-gen feel effects the game was no looker. The character models were last-gen (don't you dare deny that), the animations were just plain terrible (don't deny that either) and despite being an awesome big world with amazing draw distance... it was an empty boring world. The city's were dead, the NPC's were zombie's etc. I mean, what did you find so spectacular about this game on graphical and technical aspect?

That aside, Saints Row has amazing physics, nice lighting, high polygon counts... well it just looks way better.
MicVlaD said:
So, if you can't come up with good arguments (no, "OMG HATER!" doesn't qualify as such), don't bother replying to this.
I'm not defending this game, I mean, I like GTA more than Saints Row and I think I'll like Crackdown even more than Saints Row. But there's something seriously wrong with your look on those games. I'm just trying to help you see. You're obviously blinded by the nice bloom effects Just Cause has that makes it feel like next-gen.

XSamu said:
What the hell? The animations in Just Cause are terribly bad, the island has a really nice feel to it, but put away all those shiny bloom effects (so look at the PC version) and you'll see it's nothing that spectacular. But even seriously saying Just Cause looks better and technically is better... man, it hurts.
I specifically told you which issues Saint's Row has, most of 'em which aren't even present or less noticable in Just Cause. Yet you put on your goggles and happily ignore said information. Seriously, do you even know the definition of polished? And we weren't even discussing animations, so no need to bring that up either.

Like I said: overall Just Cause looks a lot more pleasing to the eye, especially 'cause of the bloom. It's one of the few games where bloom favors it, especially the lighting. So if Just Cause runs better (framerate), looks better on the surface (overall), has less bugs despite the bigger environment, then the game sure as hell is technically superior, even when it's inferior after comparing the amount of polygons. Next thing I know you're going to bash Doom III for its use of low quality textures and praise GRAW at the same time: HDR did a great job concealing this flaw and enhancing GRAW's look.

XSamu said:
Well then you're just plain stupid...
So I'm stupid now for calling out YOUR nonsense? This just keeps getting better and better...

XSamu said:
Your hate for the game must be troubling your vision then... I mean, there is no other explanation. I own Saints Row and find it a nice game, nothing that spectacular. I played the Just Cause demo, find the stunting really fun to do, but I wasn't very impressed by the rest (yeah the nature looks nice). So I went to play it at a friend. Offcourse the game was fun to play, but except for the nice bloomy next-gen feel effects the game was no looker. The character models were last-gen (don't you dare deny that), the animations were just plain terrible (don't deny that either) and despite being an awesome big world with amazing draw distance... it was an empty boring world. The city's were dead, the NPC's were zombie's etc. I mean, what did you find so spectacular about this game on graphical and technical aspect?

That aside, Saints Row has amazing physics, nice lighting, high polygon counts... well it just looks way better.
I AM MICVLAD. I DO NOT PLAY GAMES, I HATE THEM. REPORT TO MODS. DUUUUUUUUUURRRRR!

Your love for the game must be troubling your vision. I mean, there's no other explanation. Either you subconsciously enforce selective reading whenever someone opposes your opinion, or you don't understand the meaning of the errors I listed. I own both games, I played them and finished them both on an HDTV and I'm not making this up: Saint's Row looks and runs like shit in 720p. And why should we remove parts of a game to downplay its graphics? I might as well ignore Saint's Row lighting (which wasn't even all that good) so that it seems even uglier.

And since when do physics contribute to the cosmetic side of a game? Oh wait, they don't, they just make gameplay more fun. They were also slightly over the top (passenger literally catapulting through the windshield when I'm not even driving that fast, wtf?) but that's not my point. Even if you have higher polygon counts, it doesn't necessarily transform something into a better looking game. A recent example: Zelda. Basically a 'GC game', but thanks to its artistic direction, many praise its graphics and prefer them over some next-gen games. Do polygons matter all that much here? Not really, because it doesn't look ugly per sé, even after today's standards. Same goes for Just Cause in this case: its 'artistic' approach helps hide the last-gen nature of the game and makes it look somewhat attractive, whereas Saint's Row needs a lot more polish.

A.I. that doesn't solely focus around your avatar was a nice touch, I'll admit that. Always amusing to see a cop beat up a hobo for no reason. Now, if only they worked on their so-called humor when approaching them...

XSamu said:
I'm not defending this game, I mean, I like GTA more than Saints Row and I think I'll like Crackdown even more than Saints Row. But there's something seriously wrong with your look on those games. I'm just trying to help you see. You're obviously blinded by the nice bloom effects Just Cause has that makes it feel like next-gen.
NO U!

Funny how you accuse me of being blinded by pretty next-gen effects, after you mentioned particle effects, 'nice lighting', physics and higher polygon count in your defense. Not to mention you disregard my 'assistance' to 'help' you understand as well. Hypocrisy much?

XSamu

Banned
MicVlaD said:
I specifically told you which issues Saint's Row has, most of 'em which aren't even present or less noticable in Just Cause. Yet you put on your goggles and happily ignore said information. Seriously, do you even know the definition of polished? And we weren't even discussing animations, so no need to bring that up either.
We weren't discussing them no, so what? I just added new elements to my opinion?

Ok so because of the tearing etc Saints Row looks worse than Just Cause... what?
MicVlaD said:
Like I said: overall Just Cause looks a lot more pleasing to the eye, especially 'cause of the bloom. It's one of the few games where bloom favors it, especially the lighting. So if Just Cause runs better (framerate), looks better on the surface (overall), has less bugs despite the bigger environment, then the game sure as hell is technically superior, even when it's inferior after comparing the amount of polygons.
But it does not. Seriously, I can't see how you could be saying that? You're so obviously blinded by the bloom effects your whole view of reality has faded away.
MicVlaD said:
I AM MICVLAD. I DO NOT PLAY GAMES, I HATE THEM. REPORT TO MODS. DUUUUUUUUUURRRRR!
Ha-ha ? Really, stop making a fool out of yourself. Can't we discuss this without the childish behavior? You remind of someone I met on Xbox Live..
MicVlaD said:
Your love for the game must be troubling your vision. I mean, there's no other explanation. Either you subconsciously enforce selective reading whenever someone opposes your opinion, or you don't understand the meaning of the errors I listed. I own both games, I played them and finished them both on an HDTV and I'm not making this up: Saint's Row looks and runs like shit in 720p. And why should we remove parts of a game to downplay its graphics? I might as well ignore Saint's Row lighting (which wasn't even all that good) so that it seems even uglier.
You're just repeating yourself. Those arguments didn't convince me the first time (hell, they won't convince anyone) and they will not a second time. The fact that you can't see past the nice bloom effects of Just Cause makes your opinion almost meaningless.
MicVlaD said:
And since when do physics contribute to the cosmetic side of a game? Oh wait, they don't, they just make gameplay more fun. They were also slightly over the top (passenger literally catapulting through the windshield when I'm not even driving that fast, wtf?) but that's not my point. Even if you have higher polygon counts, it doesn't necessarily transform something into a better looking game. A recent example: Zelda. Basically a 'GC game', but thanks to its artistic direction, many praise its graphics and prefer them over some next-gen games. Do polygons matter all that much here? Not really, because it doesn't look ugly per sé, even after today's standards. Same goes for Just Cause in this case: its 'artistic' approach helps hide the last-gen nature of the game and makes it look somewhat attractive, whereas Saint's Row needs a lot more polish.
Euhm what.. wait? Are you really being serious here? You're saying Just Cause looks better than Saints Row (which now you claim to be better looking except for bad art)... because it has good art? Now this is quite shocking. First of all you're blinded by the bloom effects, now you claim Just Cause is a good looking game because of the good art direction? What?
MicVlaD said:
A.I. that doesn't solely focus around your avatar was a nice touch, I'll admit that. Always amusing to see a cop beat up a hobo for no reason. Now, if only they worked on their so-called humor when approaching them...
Your critics on the humor aspect of the game has no relevance to our discussion.
MicVlaD said:
NO U!

Funny how you accuse me of being blinded by pretty next-gen effects, after you mentioned particle effects, 'nice lighting', physics and higher polygon count in your defense. Not to mention you disregard my 'assistance' to 'help' you understand as well. Hypocrisy much?
Euhm wait, are "nice lighting" "higher polygon count" etc not real elements of next-gen games? Isn't that what makes a game superior on the technical aspect?

XSamu said:
We weren't discussing them no, so what? I just added new elements to my opinion?

Ok so because of the tearing etc Saints Row looks worse than Just Cause... what?
Not denying the animations are in fact bad, just to set things straight, but if you can't even take other people's arguments into consideration, why should I pay much attention to that part of your defense?

And yes, tearing and all the other flaws are the main reason why Saint's Row looks abysmal. Not as bad as say GUN, but it certainly doesn't look as pretty as many people and websites have claimed. The only thing that DOES look good in that game, are the explosions, but even then the framerate takes a hit. I swear, I have yet to see another next-gen game that is a big a mess as Saint's Row...

One final thing: if you consider constant disappearing textures, limbs that stick through cars and stay that way for a random amount of time, people that vanish a couple of feet in front of you et al 'normal', you need to have your eyes checked. Especially if it affects gameplay (Hitman sidequest being the most notorious one, but Mayhem and Insurance Fraud also suffer from it). Just Cause only has a few of these problems, runs at a 90% stable framerate AND it actually looks good thanks to the clouds, forest environments and its lighting, aka things that its engine focuses on. What's so hard to understand about that?

XSamu said:
But it does not. Seriously, I can't see how you could be saying that? You're so obviously blinded by the bloom effects your whole view of reality has faded away.

You know, I'm starting to think that bloom ruined your life or something. So far you keep repeating that dumbass argument. On top of that: if you think an overload of bugs (leading to an unpolished game) is worth paying 60 dollars for (or in our case, 60 - 70 EURO'S depending on the store), fine by me...

XSamu said:
Ha-ha ? Really, stop making a fool out of yourself. Can't we discuss this without the childish behavior? You remind of someone I met on Xbox Live...
"Without childish behaviour"? Coming the guy who originally started the conversation with "put off your Sony goggles". Yeah, that sounds about right...

The fact you think that was a truthful response instead of sarcasm makes it even worse.

XSamu said:
You're just repeating yourself. Those arguments didn't convince me the first time (hell, they won't convince anyone) and they will not a second time. The fact that you can't see past the nice bloom effects of Just Cause makes your opinion almost meaningless.
What does that make of you? Honestly, you're even worse with the recycling of the same arguments you mentioned before, and you don't add anything substantial. I thoroughly explained what I meant and gave you further examples, and all you 'depend' on, is "YOU BE DECEIVED BY BLOOM!"

XSamu said:
Euhm what.. wait? Are you really being serious here? You're saying Just Cause looks better than Saints Row (which now you claim to be better looking except for bad art)... because it has good art? Now this is quite shocking. First of all you're blinded by the bloom effects, now you claim Just Cause is a good looking game because of the good art direction? What?
Good art, no. Better art than Saint's Row? Absolutely. Never said the bolded part, either your reading comprehension is underdeveloped or you forgot to put on your reading glasses.

And stop being so ****ing ignorant. I gave you a handful of reasons to back my claim, stop pretending like there's only one sole reason (in this case, art). Oh, and there's "Bloom ruined my life!" again.

XSamu said:
Your critics on the humor aspect of the game has no relevance to our discussion.
Neither does the A.I. have any relevance to the discussion of graphics and the stability of a game's engine. Same goes for the physics. You were saying?

XSamu said:
Euhm wait, are "nice lighting" "higher polygon count" etc not real elements of next-gen games? Isn't that what makes a game superior on the technical aspect?
Hey, you're the one dismissing bloom here, which falls under lighting in Just Cause. If you start to blatantly exclude certain elements of a game to discuss the graphics, there's no reason why I shouldn't do the same. Lastly, if I should follow YOUR logic, G.R.A.W. isn't a good looking either game because of its HDR.

BobJustBob said:
False.

No point reading the rest of your post. Obviously you have some kind of agenda.
Yes. Talking about the disappointing graphical performance of a game must require a schedule! Let alone that I said a couple of times that the gameplay is fun regardless of Saint's Row ugly appearance.

Look at me guys, I'm a troll with an agenda!

If anything, accuse me of being a 'graphics whore'.

I'm tired of bumping this thread to settle this silly discussion between the two of us, so if you have something to say, send a PM. I will finish this post with a list of what I liked in Saint's Row, to keep things on-topic:

- The gang wars were a fun little diversion.
- The way the A.I. cops and gang members interacted with other villagers.
- The ability to call people and services (taxi) through your cellphone.
- Hiring helpers to fight with you. Makes sense in a crime sim.
- The combat. I don't mind lock-on, but the shooting mechanics never got in the way here.
- Waypoints on your map. I'm easily disoriented in massive environments, so this helped.
- The variety in the sidequests. Shame some technical flaws hindered a couple of these.
- Being able to store more than one car in your garage.
- Owning several cribs, just for the fun of it.
- The pimp cane.
- The polka and classic music radio station.
- Its online lobby. Shame it was wasted on a subpar multiplayer.
- Earn money online to buy clothes. An underdeveloped feature sadly (takes too long to attain certain items)
- The voice-acting. Often paired with a terrible script, sadly.

The ultimate crime sim to me: some of Saint's Rows innovations (and some of Scarface), the humor of GTA, the co-op of Crackdown and an engine as pretty as Just Cause's (with some changes). And a setting that isn't 'gangsta', it's been done to death by now.

Top Bottom