• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: 999

Nine_Hours,_Nine_Persons,_Nine_Doors_Cover_Art.jpg

after the announcement of the 3rd game i finally decided to start this series this past week with 999.

and i just finished by getting the true ending after intially getting the two bading endings with
clover killing me and the others and the other ending that had the killer stay unknown and he killed me after going down to the bottom deck

well im guessing its the true ending anyway since it didn't give me the BAD END title screen and went to the ending credits. so if im understanding correctly
everyone fucking dies because theres another person on the ship right?
. im honestly confused and theres so much unanswered shit but i probably need to play VLR to help put it together.

one thing thats kinda annoyed me in my past three playthroughs was the fact that there was so much unneeded/unanswered exposition whether it was about futulity/ice-9/gorgain/seven's past life etc. its like once you think youre getting somewhere the game just ends abprubtly and you sit there like
"...thats it?"

if thats the true ending its cool i guess but everyone was going around saying there was a big twist which in a way it is but i expected something different

You're not at the true ending. Do not play VLR yet. You should have been shown a video with the doors to go through in order to get an improved ending each time you failed.

Bam

Banned
Pretty much

I can't believe I badmouthed this game after initially completing it. In retrospect it was one of the best DS titles I've played.
I actually did the same exact thing lol

I wonder how many people stopped playing after getting only a couple endings

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I was about to make this thread since I went through it last night but I don't think I can post anything in here because the OP isn't actually done.

Subbed. Can't wait for the reaction.

The ending you got was actually the first one I saw and it nearly turned me off from the game lol.

Korigama

About that other ending that you received, OP:
another person being on the ship was not the reason why they died
. The other endings will answer that for you.

SephLuis

This is gonna be good. If there is one game I would like to play again without remembering anything is 999.

OP, get a guide without spoilers and see the true ending

entremet

The true ending was one of the most amazing things that's graced the gaming medium.

Just masterfully done on the DS.

No joke.

Theres a specific ending you have to get before you can get the true ending, and you haven't gotten it yet.
The true ending is worth it though, there's I think two more puzzle rooms to do and the last one is amazing.

Miker

I got the true ending and I still didn't think that highly of it when I played it two years ago. The story was fun enough with lots of wacky hijinks, but towards the (true) ending, it was beginning to strain under the weight of all its psychobabble. I actually laughed at the true ending's
sudoku
gimmick, though I suppose it's appropriate given the title.

My main problem with it was the ridiculously overblown purple prose. The script trips over itself in its eagerness to describe every scene in gory detail. It wasn't long into the game before I started noticing how much it was repeating certain imagery and even certain phrases, like the "groan of metal on metal", and so on. There was a similar overreliance on metaphors and similes that made me roll my eyes towards the closing chapters. It came off as amateurish, though I'm not envious of whoever had to translate the original text to English.

I'd still say I had a good time with it, and I'd still like to play VLR some day.

Ibuki

Banned
I just finished all the endings also, after getting one ending like a year ago....

Your mind will be blown. I'm so happy I decided to finish it all in one night.... VLR awaits.

OP, if you want to get the true ending.

Non spoiler walkthrough:
First playthrough chose gate 5 then 8 then 6. You need to pay attention to what others said.
Second playthrough chose 4, 7, 1. In gate 4 accept the bookmark and give it to Clover in gate 7.

Good luck!

Edit: Beaten!

These games require playing all the endings to get the most from them. It is, however, beyond worth it.

Amazing series. Cannot wait for 3!

Gradon

You cannot comprehend how 999's true ending will blow you away.
Subbed, make sure to write down your impressions!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This game is DS only. There is an iOS version, but it does not have the puzzles and those are important.

Unless you want a vita for Virtue Last Reward.
The story is well intact on the iOS version. Some moments are really cool on DS but if you have no other way to play it, the iOS version is still a good option.

Altazor

true ending was a mindfuck. I still cannot grasp it fully, to be honest :D

(and I'd ask here, but that'd be a bit of a hijack and it'd turn the page into a collection of black bars, hah!)

FC Bayern

Also, be prepared. The "True ending" takes like 1-2 hours after getting to it. Ended up being much longer then actually getting there.

Ibuki

Banned
Also, be prepared. The "True ending" takes like 1-2 hours after getting to it. Ended up being much longer then actually getting there.

This is so true. I did the
safe
and true ending in one night and ended up staying up until like 5:00AM.

Korigama

I got the true ending and I still didn't think that highly of it when I played it two years ago. The story was fun enough with lots of wacky hijinks, but towards the (true) ending, it was beginning to strain under the weight of all its psychobabble. I actually laughed at the true ending's
sudoku
gimmick, though I suppose it's appropriate given the title.

My main problem with it was the ridiculously overblown purple prose. The script trips over itself in its eagerness to describe every scene in gory detail. It wasn't long into the game before I started noticing how much it was repeating certain imagery and even certain phrases, like the "groan of metal on metal", and so on. There was a similar overreliance on metaphors and similes that made me roll my eyes towards the closing chapters. It came off as amateurish, though I'm not envious of whoever had to translate the original text to English.

I'd still say I had a good time with it, and I'd still like to play VLR some day.
You won't like VLR any better in regards to the bolded (it goes all in as far as that's concerned). The narration is more straightforward in a much plainer way, but I never had any problems with it before. There's certainly little to be seen or read in respect to gory detail, though.

Mergesort

This game is DS only. There is an iOS version, but it does not have the puzzles and those are important.

Unless you want a vita for Virtue Last Reward.

Yes, i want it for VLR and Zero Escape 3. I remember how pissed i was when i got to my first bad ending

Korigama

The story is well intact on the iOS version. Some moments are really cool on DS but if you have no other way to play it, the iOS version is still a good option.
No, it isn't. May as well just YouTube the DS version and not bother playing it at all.

Aside from the (many) missing character interactions that come with exploring the rooms, they even saw fit to cutting material related to the escapes from the rooms themselves for the most boring outcomes possible.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
No, it isn't. May as well just YouTube the DS version and not bother playing it at all.
My DS is a launch model with a barely functioning backlight. The story is the main draw here and I still loved that aspect of it.

I have VLR on my Vita but I wanted to play 999 first and that was the best option.

Stoze

This is so true. I did the
safe
and true ending in one night and ended up staying up until like 5:00AM.

Same here, I was completely glued to the screen and nothing would pull me away, it was daylight when I stopped playing. The climax is insane.

If I had to choose just one of the games I've desperately wanted to wipe from my memory and replay again fresh, it would be this one.

emag

Aside from the (many) missing character interactions that come with exploring the rooms, they even saw fit to cutting material related to the escapes from the rooms themselves for the most boring outcomes possible.

DS 999 is exceedingly player-hostile. Super-slow text crawl, braindead puzzles, no jumping to branch points, etc. On the other hand, iOS 999 cuts out a bit too much, removing both the sense of player agency and severely weakening a twist. I don't believe one can be categorically recommended over the other.

Korigama

My DS is a launch model with a barely functioning backlight. The story is the main draw here and I still loved that aspect of it.

I have VLR on my Vita but I wanted to play 999 first and that was the best option.
It really wasn't. It loses far too much to justify bothering with it.
DS 999 is exceedingly player-hostile. Super-slow text crawl, braindead puzzles, no jumping to branch points, etc. On the other hand, iOS 999 cuts out a bit too much, removing both the sense of player agency and severely weakening a twist. I don't believe one can be categorically recommended over the other.
It was never a game for everyone (not that anything is, if one wants to be technical), but for anyone interested in it, I do not believe someone who would settle for iOS actually cares all that much about that specific game as opposed simply wanting to breeze through it for VLR.

Text that's already been read through can be skipped on DS (it's only slower for things the player hasn't read yet). Puzzles aren't brain-dead, but they are generally easy (they go in the exact opposite direction in VLR in being more obtuse). I won't argue against the inconvenience of having to repeat segments in their entirety, as opposed to VLR's option to jump to new ones.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It really wasn't. It loses far too much to justify bothering with it.

It was never a game for everyone (not that anything is, if one wants to be technical), but for anyone interested in it, I do not believe someone who would settle for iOS actually cares all that much about that specific game as opposed simply wanting to breeze through it for VLR.

Text that's already been read through can be skipped on DS (it's only slower for things the player hasn't read yet). Puzzles aren't brain-dead, but they are generally easy (they go in the exact opposite direction in VLR in being more obtuse). I won't argue against the inconvenience of having to repeat segments in their entirety, as opposed to VLR's option to jump to new ones.

Really now? I was interested in the series for a long time, could never find the DS version when it was new, and now it's hard to find and my DS is borked. I bought both games on the same day because I heard good things about the story and loved my experience with the iOS version. I spoke about the differences with a friend of mine for over an hour today and aside from the major puzzle at the end, it seemed like the vast majority of the important stuff was intact. It's not perfect but it's far from skipworthy.

Top Bottom