• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Captain America The First Avenger- I was wrong about the character

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never found Capatian America to be very interesting when thinking about comic heroes, but I barely knew much about him. Stupid costume, ho-ra patriotism, useless powers and an indestructible shild that he throws around and somehow always bounces back to him like a boomerang.

So I ignored the movies, as I ignored the Thor movies. Thor especially looked really bland and bad in trailers.

I've seen both characters the first time in the Avengers movie and while I expected Captain America to be overshadowed by everybody else and to dislike the character, he was okay in the movie, even sympathetic but not standing out that much. Around figures like Hulk, Ironman and Thor he seems a little displaced. "What are you doing here small guy, you only get hurt playing with the big guys"

Over the holidays I was looking for some movie entertainment and both Captain America movies were on sale, I don't know why I bought them now, maybe the praise for The Winter Soldier made me curious.

Long story short, after seeing the first Captain Avengers movie, it could be my favorite of all the marvel movies. I didn't expect the story and setting to be all set in WW2. I thought that would be 20 minutes and after that he's somehow in the present day.

The character goes through a nice progression during the movie, from the beginning as a weak but determined normal guy with an exaggerated sense for doing his part in something more important to him than his everyday life then to a misunderstood and misused propaganda doll and then to an actual soldier, trying to rescue his friend and then (of course) the world. That he isn't as powerful as other superheros and has to be aware of gunfire/physical injuries etc only works in favor of the story and setting.

Maybe the laser rifles were a bit much at the end but overall I really can't complain about much. The main villain took a bit of a backseat overall but that was ok too.

Seeing the second movie after that, was great too. But I think I like the first movie more, due to the setting and the origin part of the story.

So I changed my mind on the movies and the character of Capatain America. Now I wonder if I should watch the Thor standalone movies too, maybe they aren't as bad as I imagine them to be?

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Cap movies are the only watchable Marvel movies for me, Cap himself isn't that interesting (don't care for Evans' acting) and kinda boring. But throw a BW or something like that in there and suddenly his environment is much more interesting and makes the movie better. Too bad she wasn't in the first one, which I actually think is better than TWS.

First avenger was nice but there was too much downtime before action imo, all that army parade and shit was silly and dragged on too much

Can't even remember why they don't send him to fight after enhancing him, "hey we made a super soldier now let's use him for propaganda rather than kicking nazi ass"

Snow

The first movie is kind of bland in places, but that first act has a lot of heart. Second movie is probably the best thing Marvel has made.

Random17

My only problem with the first movie is that they really don't do the action scenes justice, hell they relayed them into a shitty montage. And maybe a thing or two about Hydra's portrayal.

Otherwise I loved the old Steve, I loved the progression, and I liked the setting. The Winter Soldier satisfied my qualms about the action scenes.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I think First Avenger has a lot going for it, but it's hugely overshadowed by the absolutely incredible Winter Soldier.

After so long, my man Steve finally has an amazing film. T_T

Alx

So I changed my mind on the movies and the character of Capatain America. Now I wonder if I should watch the Thor standalone movies too, maybe they aren't as bad as I imagine them to be?

I would recommend the first Thor movie, but I'm in the minority there. It does give a good portray of Thor and Loki, both in ways that could be unexpected first (
Thor being dumb as a brick and unworthy of ruling a kingdom, Loki being a bitter ambitious guy who realizes everybody has been lying to him all his life
).
Second Thor movie is pointless, you can skip it.

I think Steve Rogers is ok, but a bit too goody-two-shoes for my tastes. His only motivation is "being a nice guy", that's a bit boring to be honest.

First avenger was nice but there was too much downtime before action imo, all that army parade and shit was silly and dragged on too much

Can't even remember why they don't send him to fight after enhancing him, "hey we made a super soldier now let's use him for propaganda rather than kicking nazi ass"

Because they've only got the one of him, and they can't replace him, so arguably he'd be more valuable for them as a propaganda tool than as an actual soldier. Plus, they underestimated just how effective he'd be.

OT: First Avenger is probably my favorite of the origin/intro Marvel movies. Very very fun.

ramparter

Banned
It's been almost 5 years since that movie released, maybe I should rewatch it. But I didn't like it that much the first time around.

I agree Cap was greatly overshadowed in Avengers, I'm glad that changed after TWS.

I would recommend the first Thor movie, but I'm in the minority there. It does give a good portray of Thor and Loki, both in ways that could be unexpected first (
Thor being dumb as a brick and unworthy of ruling a kingdom, Loki being a bitter ambitious guy who realizes everybody has been lying to him all his life
).
Second Thor movie is pointless, you can skip it.

I think Steve Rogers is ok, but a bit too goody-two-shoes for my tastes. His only motivation is "being a nice guy", that's a bit boring to be honest.
I like Thor 1 too, the world setting is really nice. Thor's "friends" look kinda gooffy though (they still do but you see them more in that movie)
Because they've only got the one of him, and they can't replace him, so arguably he'd be more valuable for them as a propaganda tool than as an actual soldier. Plus, they underestimated just how effective he'd be.

OT: First Avenger is probably my favorite of the origin/intro Marvel movies. Very very fun.
I guess it makes sense but they could have tested how strong he is, don't know. Still that part of the movie dragged imo

The first film was decent, but I thought the second half was very rushed and Red Skull seemed to be completely wasted.

The Winter Soldier is amazing though. Up there with the best superhero films of the last decade.

R-User!

Cap 1, Thor 1, Ironman 1.... Those three are pretty good for making you care about those Superheroes and understanding where they're coming from as individuals.

I like the time period of First Agenger and Weaving chews through his lines deliciously.

I like the fantasy setting of Thor and Hopkins is great as Odin, and Ironman one is a good character study/introduction to Stark and his reality. Also, Jeff Bridges is great too.

Red

I really like The First Avenger up until the too-long musical break. Kinda falls apart for me after that.

Thor 1 had the most low budget feel of all the Marvel movies. It has a couple of good moments but isn't consistent. Thor 2 has a really excellent final sequence, maybe the most creative fight in all the MCU. It gets flak for its villain. I don't think it is especially great but it's much more confident in itself than the first one.

Thor's love interest as played by Natalie Portman might be the MCU's worst character.

I didn't like it when it first came out, but after watching (and loving) Winter Soldier, I definitely appreciate it more.

I remember seeing it and the thing came across as a bit messy. You have nazis but they're Hydra and they have scifi weapons but still lose the war against the normal US Army plus one really strong guy. Seeing it again after Winter Soldier and Agent Carter helped to flesh ot out but it's still one of the weaker Marvel movies.

They also really underused Richard Armitage, he would have made a superb big villain.

Cerium

I liked the retro feel of The First Avenger. A superhero movie as a period piece had some novelty at the time. It was basically an Indiana Jones film.

Thor 1 was good. I loved it. They had Kenneth Branagh, a really talented Shakespeare director. It's a fascinating film to watch through that lens.

Thor 2 is pretty mediocre.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
it's a decent movie indeed, almost good when it comes to superhero movies, which should be judged on their own scale. Cap is a likeable bloke, his patriotism is only implied and not shown, that's why it didn't bother me much

The Llama

I really like The First Avenger up until the too-long musical break. Kinda falls apart for me after that.

Thor 1 had the most low budget feel of all the Marvel movies. It has a couple of good moments but isn't consistent. Thor 2 has a really excellent final sequence, maybe the most creative fight in all the MCU. It gets flak for its villain. I don't think it is especially great but it's much more confident in itself than the first one.

Thor's love interest as played by Natalie Portman might be the MCU's worst character.

That would be The Incredible Hulk.

First 45 minutes are great. Perfect beginning. But the film completely loses focus, makes Red Skull a tired, boring villain and has an ending that feels completely tacked on and completely at odds with the films tone.

Patryn

They didn't want the PR hit if he went and got himself killed. They were also uncertain about his abilities, until he went and proved himself in the field.

They didn't want the PR hit if he went and got himself killed. They were also uncertain about his abilities, until he went and proved himself in the field.

I think he went without approval though eventually ? Parachuting from Stark's plane iirc

Patryn

I think he went without approval though eventually ? Parachuting from Stark's plane iirc

He did. Hence my comment about "after he proved himself."

They started sending him on official missions after that point, hence the montage that was supposed to cover a couple years of the war.

guek

Banned
The movie is really on point up until they start the montage following Bucky's rescue. I even love the musical number! But then the montage happens and the pacing gets a kick in the pants. The concept behind it was nice - a montage that's meant to be juxtaposed to the earlier musical number as a propaganda reel come to life. It's a novel idea that falls flat. I get that they needed to portray a long passage of time during the war but it suddenly feels like you're watching a different movie. The train sequence too wasn't anything to write home about. It's not until they storm the Hydra base that the film gets its mojo back and starts feeling like quasi Indiana Jones adventure again.

The movie's moral themes are not interesting enough to make up for the lack of spectacle, but I don't mind the character. He's well cast and gets cool action scenes in other movies, including Cap 2.

Captain America 1 solidified my dislike for the character and was the first warning sign that these movies might start getting bad to me. Everything interesting happened in a montage. Everyone was one dimensional.

Red

That would be The Incredible Hulk.
I don't know man. Not that The Incredible Hulk was at all impressive, but Thor really stretches credulity at some points. That whole scene with the cyclops robot in the empty town is probably the roughest, least exciting thing in the Marvel-verse. And Mjolnir looks like a styrofoam block the entire film.

zma1013

Caps origin story may be the best origin story of all the film Avengers. Limited by his physical stature, his sheer will and determination and intelligence shines through. I love the flag pole scene and the grenade scene. Seeing Tommy Lee Jones skeptical character eat crow is just a great sight to behold. All the propoganda stuff works well to establish his goofy looking costume as a symbol for America.

The backhalf of the movie gets a bit boring once he actually fully becomes Captain America but up to that point it's all really well done.

Cipherr

Thor isn't as good OP. I say that as someone who watches all of them and like them as a whole. CA's films surprised you, but I don't think the Thor films will.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah the first movie was excellent. The second movie was pretty good too. I have a huge man crush on Chris Evans. He knows how to appear awesome on screen.... something Henry Cavill just doesnt know how to do.

I was also surprised by the WW2 setting. Good stuff. The second one felt a lot more generic as a result.

Don't see how people can like the first over the second. The first had a boring villain like usual from Marvel and it went through the motions. At least the second one has some serious ties into our real world and that's really the movie that made me like Cap. By far the best villain Marvel has made (and the only one that isn't trash ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). First movie was eh fun for a first time and never to be watched ever again.

But yeah team Cap all the way in the sequel, even though he'll probably end up dying but coming back because Marvel.

Oddduck

I felt that the first movie had much more heart than the second film. Also, I like how the whole WWII time period made it feel different from other Marvel films that took place in the "present modern day" world.

But I do think Winter Solder is the better action film. It has much better directed action scenes.

Anung

Un Rama
The first half of The First Avenger is excellent. The second half loses a lot of steam though unfortunately. I would have preferred a tone closer to Band of Brothers rather than The Rocketeer (directed by the same guy) but it sets the pieces up for Avengers.

The Winter Soldier is amazing though and probably the best MCU film.

Though I agree the action montage towards the end is too quick, I've always thought this movie was underrated. Some people just really don't like the stylized thing it was going for (and I personally think it pulls off).

I'd recommend Thor too. I've seen it two or three times and enjoyed it and it's funnier than you'd expect. A lot of people don't like the second, and though I'd agree it's largely pointless in regards to the greater MCU plotline (minus one thing at the very end), I still enjoyed it. The final battle in particular is really fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom