• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Captain America The First Avenger- I was wrong about the character

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big fan of both Cap movies, if Civil War is anywhere near the quality of the first two it'll be the best superhero trilogy outside of the Nolan Batman films.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Wat

Winter Soldier is by far the best film in the MCU.

Best directed, for sure.

I was the same OP, didn't really give the film or character much thought but after Avengers I watched the movie properly and now I love him. My favourite MCU character.

DrArchon

Too many people give Cap 1 shit. I loved it, probably more than any other phase 1 movie. Hell, I watched it again recently and I might even put it higher than Avengers 1 and Iron Man 1. I love throw-backs to old movies and adventure serials and Cap 1 was a great throw-back.

Winter Solider is one of my favorite movies in recent years, and basically solidified Cap as my favorite Avenger( and I couldn't care less about the character prior to the MCU). It's basically a 2 hour answer to the question of why characters like Hulk, Iron-Man, and Thor, all more powerful characters, would follow his lead.

I never cared for Captain America in the comics (and still don't) but Cap turned out to be my favorite hero of the cinematic universe. He's sort of my new Superman since Cavill's Superman lost most of what I liked about that character, while Cap retains those traits. I love CA1 and loved CA2 also.

I'm sort of afraid for Civil War because as of now, as far as I'm concerned, Cap is 2 for 2. Can they keep up the quality for an entire trilogy?

Chris Evans is the best part of the Marvel movies I think. His Captain America feels the most relatable and human of the lot.

TRios Zen

Always been a big fan of Cap so was worried that the movies would disappoint me - ended up liking TFA much more than I thought I would and loved Winter Soldier.

Civil war looks amazing, so...yeah, bring it on Marvel.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Marvel has been knocking it out of the park with their Cap and it looks like CW will be a fantastic end to what is already a tremendously great series.

guek

Banned
People bitch and bitch (and bitch some more) about Marvel never giving its directors any voice in their movies, how they're all cut from the same cloth, how they're factory made, blah blah blah.

But like many of their other movies that disprove this, TFA feels like a Joe Johnston movie. They chose him in order to evoke an old school feel from the director of The Rocketeer and that's what they got.

jph139

Still my favorite MCU movie. Great retro feel, great character study, just cheesy enough to really sell the world. Cap's awful one-liners and zingers crack me up - dude's just an absolute dweeb. He reminds me of the Tober Maguire Spider-Man in that sense - even when he's cool, he's lame.

I get the lack-of-action criticism, but I've never loved superheroes because of the punching. It's about interesting, larger-than-life stories and characters. TFA delivers both in spades.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
tumblr_inline_nhp1thMaCf1rpzlbi.gif

that punch tho

Red

This scene and the scene where Cap jumps on the dummy grenade are the best scenes in the movie.
Absolutely, I'm glad people are on board with this.

Iron Man 3 is pretty darn good until the final act. That last fight sequence, sheesh, couldn't be much worse. And the stuff with Pepper at the end is almost embarrassing.

I think it's fair to say Tony Stark is the most thematically inconsistent character in the MCU.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I would recommend the first Thor movie, but I'm in the minority there. It does give a good portray of Thor and Loki, both in ways that could be unexpected first (
Thor being dumb as a brick and unworthy of ruling a kingdom, Loki being a bitter ambitious guy who realizes everybody has been lying to him all his life
).
Second Thor movie is pointless, you can skip it.

I think Steve Rogers is ok, but a bit too goody-two-shoes for my tastes. His only motivation is "being a nice guy", that's a bit boring to be honest.

the first Thor had a lot of charm, i love how they took this norse god and dropped him into every day society, like when he chugs the coffe and throws the cup down on the ground and says ill have another and everyone looks at him like he's crazy.

The second thor was disappointing to say the least.

Both Captain America movies were good.

Red

The last fight in The Dark World is under appreciated. People get too hung up on bububut Avengers

guek

Banned
The last fight in The Dark World is under appreciated. People get too hung up on bububut Avengers

It was alright but not enough smashy smashy in my opinion. It feels less brainless than say the MoS fight but oddly unimpressive in scope.

Also, wtf happened to the ice monster

Red

I really hate scenes like that, when they pretend the guy is dead ever thought everyone knows he's not dead, they have to get everyone's reactions and it drags on forever.

They're the the worst.

The fucking worst.
I feel the same. Thor 1 was too by the numbers for me to appreciate it.

Loki's journey was more compelling than Thor's.

Theecliff

Banned
the first half of the film is pretty great, whereas the second half is pretty... lackluster. dampens the whole thing in my opinion.

however, the winter soldier is a much stronger film overall and is probably my favourite mcu film to date.

Shaanyboi

Banned
First two thirds are fantastic. But yeah, once the action Montage hits and that is almost all the cool Captain America stuff in that movie, it just slows to a crawl. Would've preferred a slightly longer movie or something, maybe have the Howling Commandos trapped in Europe without any kind of extraction or back-up. Cap gets to see what kind of difference he's making for people first-hand. Then they go to attack the Red Skull's base in a suicide mission, thinking no one else will be coming to help them (but of course they do).

The climax in the movie happens because they say "Hey... why don't we get Red Skull?" Like... eh.

But man, the first two thirds are pitch-perfect.

I wanted to love it more. I mean, Cap + Rocketeer director? Sign me up! Sadly, it was not to be had. Especially the second half. I should re-watch it though. The best part about the movie was Peggy, and now she has her own show that I liked very much and am really looking forward to S2.

So, a win for me on all counts, I suppose.
It's a better Loki movie than it is a Thor movie.
Eh T:TDW is more in that direction. I'd say the first is pretty fairly split between them.
agreed, IM3 was a blast
It really was. I was honestly suffering from fatigue from Marvel films for a bit and just didn't really care much, plus considering Tony's my least favorite character...However, it was a really, really fun action movie. Mandarin twist was hilarious. Plus, wasn't it shown in a short that there is a REAL Mandarin out there?

Davey Cakes

I liked the first half. The second half had more action but it was kind of boring action to me.

The origin story was done well for this type of movie. That's what keeps it from being mediocre.

The Winter Soldier is WAY better and more entertaining. It was like going from a 6/10 to a 9/10.

Dai101

Banned
Chris Evans is to Cap what Chris Reeves was for Supes.

Damn, what's with Superhero movies and actors named Chris?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom