• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Captain America The First Avenger- I was wrong about the character

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's crazy how I was never big on Cap, maybe just seemed to cheesy/hooky in live action, but damn I fell in love with Chris Evan's MCU Captain America, The First Avenger showing the birth of the legend all worked for me and then The Winter Soldier solidifying him as a complete badass.

Basically everything that comes after said Mandarin twist. If the fallback villain was at least decent, it would have been a good payoff. Killian and his extremis goons were pretty lame.

Although, after the Mandarin twist we get to see Tony break out and take on the thugs without his full armor. That was the last great scene of the film.

Its an okay movie.
It's a movie.

It's the only thing I've said about it. It's the only thing I'll ever say about it, because it's the only thing I CAN say about it.

Although, after reading Green Lantern: Secret Origins (which was used for the basis of the film) I'm wondering how they fucked up that badly.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
There are better Marvel movies in the cinematic universe, but out of all of them, this is probably the one I adore the most. And one of the the few that let's the auteur shine through.

And yes, I'll say it. Red Skull is a much better villain than Loki is. Because sometimes you need a bad guy who is just irredeemably evil. It's just a shame that we're probably not gonna see him again, considering that Hugo Weaving wants to get out of sci fi/fantasy roles.

It'll be nice when people get over the Mandarin twist and come around on Iron Man 3 as well

agreed, IM3 was a blast

I thought Iron Man 3 was LEAGUES better than Iron Man 2. That twist got me, too.
While I do admit that Iron Man 3 felt like it was held together with sticky back plastic and that some moments didn't make much sense to me, it was indeed a whole lot of fun. And Trevor Slattery was a laugh riot.

why are there so many goddamn dutch angles in this movie
Because Kenneth Brannagh.

Dryk

I never cared for Captain America in the comics (and still don't) but Cap turned out to be my favorite hero of the cinematic universe. He's sort of my new Superman since Cavill's Superman lost most of what I liked about that character, while Cap retains those traits.
I think that if the core theme of your hero is "an ideal for people to strive towards" then Rogers is inherently better suited on account of being human. Though obviously there are takes on that theme that you can only do with someone that has more power than a human can dream of.

...Mark Strong isn't in Captain America. He was in another 2011 superhero origin movie.

green_lantern_mark_strong_full-300x300.jpg
I'm so sick of really good casting being wasted on bad movies

Camwi

The first movie definitely changed my (uninformed) opinion of the character, too.

Then the second movie came out and just screamed "Captain America is a fucking badass" with every action scene.

It is still easily Marvel's best for phase 1. Lots of heart and style. Some missteps, but it was good

Agreed. I loved the film then and I still love it now. It might be the only Marvel film I've seen more than twice. I often hear people say the film is boring. Hopefully I never take film recommendations from those people.

NastyBook

The first movie is kind of bland in places, but that first act has a lot of heart. Second movie is probably the best thing Marvel has made.
No lies detected. My brother caught the repeats a few times on cable and came away more impressed with each viewing. The street fight between Cap and WS is one of his new favorite fights. Nick Fury chase scene is the new hotness, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom