• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Darksiders 2 (Warning: Large Gifs)

I loved both games for different reasons. If I had a gun pointed to my head, I'd probably say I enjoyed the original a little bit more, but the improved combat and traversal and the pull of loot was pretty awesome in DS2.

The Darksiders games were the best Zelda games released last generation.

wait what? lol I very strongly disagree. even with skyward sword being a weak entry in the Zelda legacy its still a great game.

wait what? lol I very strongly disagree. even with skyward sword being a weak entry in the Zelda legacy its still a great game.
It might depend on certain other factors. I definitely like the story, characters and art better than Zelda. There's a great vibe that, for me, is very similar to Legacy of Kain and Hellboy. I really dig the gothic environments, the lore and cosmology are near perfect and Michael Wincott voicing Death is superb. Square Enix should be looking at this and taking some notes that people want a real Legacy of Kain game again.

I absolutely loved the art style, and premise of the Darksiders games.

That being said, I got tired by the end of both games, and probably won't replay them for a while.

Effect

I really don't know if I should finish Darksiders 2. Been slowly trying to play it for the last few months and even now I really don't know if I like it or not. I know I like it more then Darksiders 1 (PS3) for certain but that's not saying much I think. I think my issue was with the combat in DS1 which is significantly better in DS2 I think. In the middle of combat I enjoy it but once that's done it feels like I'm just going through the motions. I'm up to the Gilded Arena section and up to now the whole thing just feels drab and it drags on (story up to this point) and I don't think it needs to. How anyone could feel this is a "better" Zelda game then an actual Zelda game is something I do not understand being a long time Zelda fan. The elements are here I feel (music, combat, design of some of the areas) but how to use those elements effectively isn't I think. I largely come away from the game bored that's not a good no matter what.

The feeling of non-importance is something I'd agree with it. I'm being told that something big is going on. I don't feel that at all in the game. I got that from DS1 but it's clear something really bad is happening at the beginning of that game. I guess if I could take the story and setting of DS1 and merge it with the combat, graphics, and music of DS2 the result would be a better game. I would hope but I doubt it.

The size of the world brings back a lot of issues I had with Elder Scrolls. In that it's needlessly big. There is a lot of nothing. I don't want the new Zelda game for Wii U to go through this.

I think I'm going to put it to the side for a while and then maybe go back to it. I really don't want to leave it unfinished. I did that with Darksiders 1. I got DS2 when it was on sale on the Wii U eShop for about $20 a while ago and have clocked 40 hours on it so far. I don't know how. I might have left it paused for an hour here and there. What I've experienced does not justify that amount of time if the bulk of it was spent actually playing. I guess I could say I got my money's worth with that much time put in. I've gotten no lasting satisfaction though. I don't look forward to playing the game. I feel like I'm forcing myself to open the game at this point and I don't want that.

This is one of the few games I just had to give up on.

This. By the time the zones' hub worlds started becoming linear corridors I realized I was no longer playing the same game I started 15 hours before. I saw no value in completing it for completion's sake, especially now that the franchise is effectively dead and DSII didn't advance the plot of the world at all. Basically one big "Meanwhile..."

Top Bottom