• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who else misses the PS3/360 era?

Borowski_1

I feel like 15 years ago there was a lot more variety, more innovation, and games were a lot more focused and well paced, without needles content just for the sake of it

Looking back at 2010, i got GoW 3, Bayonetta, Red Dead Redemption, Darksiders, Heavy Rain, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Enslaved, Dante's Inferno, Castlevania LoS, Limbo, etc

Now everything has to be bigger and bigger, or a live service, or a huge and forgettable open-world, or another souls-like

Games like those back in that era (and the PS2 for that matter) are fewer and far between, and that's honestly sad.

Last edited:
I feel like 15 years ago there was a lot more variety, more innovation, and games were a lot more focused and well paced, without needles content just for the sake of it

Looking back at 2010, i got GoW 3, Bayonetta, Red Dead Redemption, Darksiders, Heavy Rain, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Enslaved, Dante's Inferno, Castlevania LoS, Limbo, etc

Now everything has to be bigger and bigger, or a live service, or a huge and forgettable open-world

Games like those back in that era (and the PS2 for that matter) are fewer and far between, and that's honestly sad.

Nah I miss The PS2 Era

Back when these Videogames companies were actually headed by gamers, making games they want to make and making sure that it was for gamers too. Not to mention that's when they were able to make anything due to being given big budgets behind their projects. Both Western and Japanese Developers were equally successful when it comes to selling millions of their games

That's the healthiest the gaming market has been in my opinion

Last edited:
I remember the PS360 struggling to play Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite and moving to PC because the generation lasted way too f'n long.
Console generations should never go that long, as a gamer rule.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
360/PS3 had some great game it also had it share of crappy games in fact we get A LOT of those crappy movie tie in games and I remember people had to pay extra money just to unlock online part of the game.

I'm happy this generation we are getting good amount of quality Japanese games but also this gen I almost completely lost interest in western games.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Nothing... in fact I have said it several times, it is not only the worst time of the Console Generation, but the worst time of my life.

I hated it, especially because of what Xbox 360 left behind, the beginning of the DLC, games that disappointed, like Bioshock for example in my case...

The emergence of MEMES, social networks... The hardware errors of the consoles.

That generation WII, PS3, XBOX 360 was a fiasco... Only PS3 was what was salvageable and what saved my hobby in my case.

Lambogenie

PS2 era. Minus Sony wests disdain for 2D.

Since then gaming has just become *more* a business, as they say.

Fuck it, the best and most innovative things since are WiiU (switch just perfecting it) and Pokémon Go. Can leave everything else.

Last edited:

Now everything has to be bigger and bigger, or a live service, or a huge and forgettable open-world

I do. I don't get why some have such a negative view on it... looking back, it was better than what we get today. At least, AAA-wise. I'm actually playing and having fun with a notorious game from that gen atm.

I wouldn't say those games "are fewer and far between" though. You're probably not looking in the right places or keeping an eye on the right AA publishers/developers.

Mainstream gaming journalism is failing at spreading the word about the games you're looking for. Their priorities are elsewhere. Those games can still be found in the current gaming landscape, but they're being snubbed, ignored, or buried by reviewers/journos and such. You owe it to yourself to start doing research, go on discovery, or get informed by your fellow forum members to find them.

I've been considering making a thread about lesser known publishers out there that barely get any proper attention or spotlight.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I jumped into it very late, but it was the last time it made sense to own all the systems on the market.
It was the last gen when the dev skill and budget gap wasn’t so wide and AA was still viable. We got new, creative stuff from high-profile devs that are now limited to iterating the same stuff over and over again. We could still get 10/12-hour AAA games. Staple IPs were born then, including Souls, Uncharted, Gears, Mass Effect, Assassin’s Creed. Development costs and times hadn’t ballooned out of control yet, and woke hadn’t yet infected western games.

PS360 gen with SSDs and without the piss filter in some big games would have been perfection.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The 360 was, by far, the best “modern-style” console we’ve had, and it’s only gone downhill since then. I really miss the golden era of AAA Xbox Live, along with the exploding XBLA indie scene.

ungalo

In a lot of ways it was a transition to what we have today and that i don't like.

But big budgets gaming was in the right spot for a few years. And every system performed, wich is rare and a blessing i think (PS3/360/Wii/PSP/DS), it was the last very rich generation.

I really disliked the end of the 360/PS3 era though. 2012 was mid compared to previous years and i absolutely hate 2013 (contrary to most people it seems).

It was the peak for hype for me. Seeing PS3 pull back from the depths was magnificent. KZ2 gameplay reveal was wonderful after all the scrutiny it received (rightfully so). Great competition from all parties.

Wooxsvan

no way. all i can remember is crappy performance 30 and sub 30fps games. and iv lived through it all.

this is 40 man GIF

Last edited:

Inuteu

Back when these Videogames companies were actually headed by gamers, making games they want to make and making sure that it was for gamers too. Not to mention that's when they were able to make anything due to being given big budgets behind their projects.
yes. Games were made by true passionate people who can find a way around problems

Today is just another day in corporate hell

nial

Gold Member
2012 was mid compared to previous years and i absolutely hate 2013 (contrary to most people it seems).
Even when ignoring my hate bias for 7th gen as a whole, those years were truly awful. Particularly 2012; third-parties sucked, Wii sucked, Xbox 360 sucked and PS3 (with the exception of Tokyo Jungle, my beloved) sucked too.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Everyone wants higher fidelity games but no one wants to pay the cost of time to develop. I do miss the 360 era, I do not miss the red rings of death.

Laptop1991

I'm a PC gamer but yeah i do, the games were so much better, more creative and not full of MTX, games like Oblivion, Fear, Bisohock 1 to 3, Assassin's Creed, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Skyrim then Dishonored and GTA 4 and 5, and Crysis i would love to experience those games again new, today's games cannot even compare for me

amigastar

My Xbox 360 library didn't have that problem.
Although I suppose it really depends on what types of games you liked.

7t6h9T7.jpg
Yeah, it depends on the game at some point but looking at Deus Ex Human Revolution for example, it just looked hideous.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Just some franchises and trilogies released that ONE GEN.
Seriously, the amount of games released each month was greater than one year nowadays.
And nowadays people cry if one game comes one month and another big game comes out next month. you know why? Because these games are too huge and bloated.

Gears trilogy - Amazing replayability. I finished each many times. Great multiplayer too
Mass Effect trilogy - Each game is 20 hours long
Uncharted trilogy - Same as gears. amazing
Dead Space trilogy - nuff said
Demons Souls, Dark souls, Dark Souls 2 - only best games ever
Oblivion, Fallout3, Skyrim
Halo3, odst, reach
Bioshock 1,2, infinite
Batman Arkham Asylum, city, origins

And then all the (less than trilogy) games:
-God of war 3
-Killzone 2
-Alan wake
-Dead Rising
-Lost Planet
-MGS phantom Pain (well almost ps4)
-GTA4 5
-RDR
-Burnout freaking paradise
-Sleeping Dogs
-Last of us
-Portal 1 and 2.

And that's only a few... Sure, with ps4 and 5 we have a ton of amazing games but not that many. Thankfully, the quality is great, uncharted 4 or bloodborne are better than anything before for example

skit_data

I still got my PS3 hooked up and slowly making my way through Dark Souls because I neve platinumed it despite it being the first From Software game I played and while it has its charm I for one suddenly realized just exactly how horrible the framerates were at times back then. Just made it through Blight Town at least so I guess the worst is over...

...in this first cycle...
Sad The Office GIF

intbal

Yeah, it depends on the game at some point but looking at Deus Ex Human Revolution for example, it just looked hideous.
I played that on PC first. But I wanted a version for my 360 a few years later. I got the Director's Cut edition which removed that filter.
It actually looks kinda bland and lifeless. They clearly designed all their art and lighting around that yellow filter.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Just some franchises and trilogies released that ONE GEN.
Seriously, the amount of games released each month was greater than one year nowadays.
And nowadays people cry if one game comes one month and another big game comes out next month. you know why? Because these games are too huge and bloated.

Gears trilogy - Amazing replayability. I finished each many times. Great multiplayer too
Mass Effect trilogy - Each game is 20 hours long
Uncharted trilogy - Same as gears. amazing
Dead Space trilogy - nuff said
Demons Souls, Dark souls, Dark Souls 2 - only best games ever
Oblivion, Fallout3, Skyrim
Halo3, odst, reach
Bioshock 1,2, infinite
Batman Arkham Asylum, city, origins

And then all the (less than trilogy) games:
-God of war 3
-Killzone 2
-Alan wake
-Dead Rising
-Lost Planet
-MGS phantom Pain (well almost ps4)
-GTA4 5
-RDR
-Burnout freaking paradise
-Sleeping Dogs
-Last of us
-Portal 1 and 2.

And that's only a few... Sure, with ps4 and 5 we have a ton of amazing games but not that many. Thankfully, the quality is great, uncharted 4 or bloodborne are better than anything before for example

Meanwhile, in Japan ....

91p7GbB9RnL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
61Mnfgg7DPL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

51Jgafs+oDL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
814APyDcVSL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

LordOfChaos

If you meshed the first half of the 360s life with the second half of the PS3s, like I did, you have the best overall generation of all time.
I've also always wondered what would have been if the PS3 wasn't gimped with a last minute GPU missing unified shaders because their Toshiba plan didn't work out. Blu ray storage size, Xenos GPU + eDRAM, and the Cell, what would that best of all worlds have been like

Granted Cell was weird and took time to come to grips with, but by the end of the generation when devs were really using it, it was often just making up for the lacklustre RSX by doing preculling etc for it

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I think the industry peaked during DC/PS2/OG Xbox gen. Much less cynicism from publishers and way more variety (in the AAA space). Also, Japanese developers were still on their game.

PS3/360 era is also great, though, and I've been going back to those games a lot recently. Just bought this the other day, since I missed it upon release:

103421_front.jpg

GametimeUK

It was my favourite generation. I can't believe the amount of incredible games I got to enjoy. It felt like there was constant banger after banger.

However I can't go back to them levels of performance.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Eh… not sure if I would go that far. We had an awful lot of “brown palettes” all over the place.

RPG and strategy side was fairly weak as well with some standouts (if we don’t count handhelds).

I mean the era certainly had some bangers. ME Trilogy, Oblivion, Fallout 3/New Vegas, Skyrim, GTA IV, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Infamous 2, Last of Us, Uncharted and a lot more.

But I just don’t know, i remember Dreamcast/PS2/PC pre-2006 and post say 2012 with more fondness.

Top Bottom