• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who else misses the PS3/360 era?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The PS3/360 era has some gems that are ruined by performance issues and resolution.
A lot of those games could do with a Remaster or a Remake.
A lot of good Idea let down by the technology at that time.

yes. Games were made by true passionate people who can find a way around problems

Today is just another day in corporate hell

Nowadays developers are lazy as fuck

Developers back in the PS1/PS2 hell PS3 Era were able to make beautiful looking games despite the hardware limitations. I find that more impressive personally

I think the industry peaked during DC/PS2/OG Xbox gen. Much less cynicism from publishers and way more variety (in the AAA space). Also, Japanese developers were still on their game.

PS3/360 era is also great, though, and I've been going back to those games a lot recently. Just bought this the other day, since I missed it upon release:

103421_front.jpg

I never played that game but that game cover art made me interested

I might not have liked the PS3 Era as much but they weren't afraid of using Women Characters as Male Gaze Sexy Fanservice. Which isn't a bad thing. I think PS2 Era was great in that aspect too. During the PS4 Era is when I noticed developers, western developers especially have been beginning to make female characters ugly

I mostly game on Switch and Steam nowadays

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Multiple 360 games are being sold for $50 or more which is extraordinary, things like Microsoft closing the 360 store enables used game sales to being sold at such high prices.

Also the fact that you can play PS3 online multiplayer games like Socom Confrontation or Battlefield 4 completely free is extraordinary. That era of gaming had a real sense of community (Major Nelson, PS Home, thousands of text chats, party chats etc.

maxresdefault.jpg

I think the emergence of apps, TV infecting the gaming scene, from consoles trying to be like PC has some gamers on high alert. Motion controls infected the core console experience and Microsoft is one hiccup away from exiting the console industry.

WoJ

My favorite gen of all time. So many new IPs and franchises. We got multiple games in a series in one gen instead of one a decade. Still have my 360 and PS3 hooked up.

Man nostalgia really is a thing huh...

That gen sucked overall. Nintendo went all in on the Wii. The others decided to try and follow the motion controls fad. Xbox went all in so much with Kinect that ruined them the following generation. (and never recovered)

3rd parties were releasing games even LESS optimized than nowadays for consoles, with many games failing to hit even 30fps (when we were playing a lot of 60fps the previous gen). Japan were nowhere to be found during those days with many of their IPs hitting their lowest ever. Their worst gen by far. Square-Enix went from releasing games like FFX and XII to that XIII trilogy. Capcom was failing at everything mostly. Resident Evil had the worst entries of the franchise that gen (V and VI). Konami's decline started to get worse as well . Xbox 360 hardware was failing left and right, PS3 released at 600ā‚¬/$. All games looked grey / brown as fuck. Sony decided to release remastered trilogies left and right of games from PS2 gen when they realized they were profitable, something they still do. Xbox brought paid online multiplayer to consoles as well.

When i saw PS4 announced and no motion controls in sight, that Killzone Shadowfall presentation and finally games with a stable framerate (at least above 30fps lmao) and a console that costed 400ā‚¬ i was relieved.

Yeah there were ups of course like how games were releasing much faster...but now we know a lot of those studios were burning out. We simply didn't know back then, with studios like Naughty Dog bleeding talent since like Uncharted 2 days.

HUGE step down from the PS2 / Xbox / Gamecube eras.

Borowski_1

That gen sucked overall. Nintendo went all in on the Wii. The others decided to try and follow the motion controls fad. Xbox went all in so much with Kinect that ruined them the following generation. (and never recovered)

3rd parties were releasing games even LESS optimized than nowadays for consoles, with many games failing to hit even 30fps (when we were playing a lot of 60fps the previous gen). Japan were nowhere to be found during those days with many of their IPs hitting their lowest ever. Their worst gen by far. Square-Enix went from releasing games like FFX and XII to that XIII trilogy. Capcom was failing at everything mostly. Resident Evil had the worst entries of the franchise that gen (V and VI). Konami's decline started to get worse as well . Xbox 360 hardware was failing left and right, PS3 released at 600ā‚¬/$. All games looked grey / brown as fuck. Sony decided to release remastered trilogies left and right of games from PS2 gen when they realized they were profitable, something they still do. Xbox brought paid online multiplayer to consoles as well.

When i saw PS4 announced and no motion controls in sight, that Killzone Shadowfall presentation and finally games with a stable framerate (at least above 30fps lmao) and a console that costed 400ā‚¬ i was relieved.

Yeah there were ups of course like how games were releasing much faster...but now we know a lot of those studios were burning out. We simply didn't know back then, with studios like Naughty Dog bleeding talent since like Uncharted 2 days.

it's about new IPs, new ideas, variety, creativity

Not framerates or resolutions

Who cares if Horizon Forbidden West looks amazing at 60 and then the game is boring and bland as fuck?

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

I miss ps4 era, single player focused, no gaas bs, new titles like death stranding, days gone, horizon, nextgen graphics since launch games(Killzone)

Last edited:

Caio

One of my favorite generations. So many great games released. I still got my PS3 hooked up and play it regularly so I ain't missing a thing šŸ„³ā¤ļø
Yep. I loved both PS360, and so many WOW moments, so many great games, what an amazing generation, and competition. I miss it.

Just some franchises and trilogies released that ONE GEN.
Seriously, the amount of games released each month was greater than one year nowadays.
And nowadays people cry if one game comes one month and another big game comes out next month. you know why? Because these games are too huge and bloated.

Gears trilogy - Amazing replayability. I finished each many times. Great multiplayer too
Mass Effect trilogy - Each game is 20 hours long
Uncharted trilogy - Same as gears. amazing
Dead Space trilogy - nuff said
Demons Souls, Dark souls, Dark Souls 2 - only best games ever
Oblivion, Fallout3, Skyrim
Halo3, odst, reach
Bioshock 1,2, infinite
Batman Arkham Asylum, city, origins

And then all the (less than trilogy) games:
-God of war 3
-Killzone 2
-Alan wake
-Dead Rising
-Lost Planet
-MGS phantom Pain (well almost ps4)
-GTA4 5
-RDR
-Burnout freaking paradise
-Sleeping Dogs
-Last of us
-Portal 1 and 2.

And that's only a few... Sure, with ps4 and 5 we have a ton of amazing games but not that many. Thankfully, the quality is great, uncharted 4 or bloodborne are better than anything before for example
Great gen for hidden gems/sleeper hits too:

- El shaddai
- Shadows of the damned
- NeverDead
- WET
- Blades of time
- Binary domain
- Tokyo twillight ghost hunters
- Way of the samurai 3
+ more

I really miss quality AA titles.
People keep echoing this, but those are still being made. They just don't get any proper attention because the gaming press is overrun by activist posers who are preoccupied by anything else other than video games.

rofif

Canā€™t Git Gud
Great gen for hidden gems/sleeper hits too:

- El shaddai
- Shadows of the damned
- NeverDead
- WET
- Blades of time
- Binary domain
- Tokyo twillight ghost hunters
- Way of the samurai 3
+ more

People keep echoing this, but those are still being made. They just don't get any proper attention because the gaming press is overrun by activist posers who are preoccupied by anything else other than video games.
Binary Domain is so good

Billbofet

I miss it a lot. I had more time to game back then, but I also felt like with each game I was prepared to be surprised and new ideas were still a thing. Like each game was its own thing.

Games now all seem very similar and at best it's one game's elements mixed with another game's elements, but nothing truly new.
Also, I'm not too fond of GaaS. Young people now have terrible taste in gaming and think Fortnight is the GOAT and each incremental update to sports games is bussin' bussin'

Soulja

One thing i really miss from back then was the amount of good co op games we had. It really spoiled us and this gen has been a massive let down with regards to co op games.

Durin

Neo Member
Don't really look back on that gen that fondly because most of the problems with the industry now were started then.

Broken games with day one patches, overpriced DLC + microtransactions, forced online requirements/check-in for single-player games, and reduced genre variety due to the rising production costs of AAA. Also a weirdly bad period for many Japanese studios output (portables faired better), and Nintendo did less core games because of the success of the Wii with casual audiences (Switch > Wii)

Not to mention the first half of that gen was the single worst time to be a PC gamer. Digital distribution and Steam was still in their infancy, some of the DRM back then would make Denuvo blush, Games For Windows Live was pure trash, and so many great studios either died (Black Isle, Looking Glass) or got acquired to later fall off (Ensemble Studios, Bullfrog).

The samey open-worlds of today in AAA could be substituted for the linear cinematic set-piece design of the PS3/360 era.

While there were still some great games that gen for sure, I would honestly take the PS4 era and this current one over it. Western AAA has gotten worse over time, but Japanese AAA down to the small indie has only gotten better.

Dr.Morris79

I don't really miss the PS3 that much, that thing became an absolute pig to play. My last memories of that was having to reinstall GT 6 from disc, good god. Total nightmare.

Paltheos

Not particularly, no. My favorite genres didn't see much light of day. The generation after and since correctly identified the underserved segments of the market that had been left hanging.

I didn't like the attitude for the period too. Prevailing sentiment seemed to look its nose down at JRPGs with few exceptions, and with so little good stuff coming and with prominent, creative, dead-end failures like FF13, it could be hard to reply back.

Not particularly, no. My favorite genres didn't see much light of day. The generation after and since correctly identified the underserved segments of the market that had been left hanging.

I didn't like the attitude for the period too. Prevailing sentiment seemed to look its nose down at JRPGs with few exceptions, and with so little good stuff coming and with prominent, creative, dead-end failures like FF13, it could be hard to reply back.
Yeah, that notion was beyond stupid. It was perplexing that the media was pushing the idea that Japan couldn't keep up. There were no grounds for it looking back. On the contrary.

My tinfoil hat makes me want to say it came off as some kind of underhanded campaign to demoralize Japan and competitively buckle their creative innovation which was leaps ahead of the west at the time.

Last edited:

One of the reasons why I wasn't as big a fan of the PS3 Era. It was ridiculous how much hate Japanese Developers were getting

Yeah, that notion was beyond stupid. It was perplexing that the media was pushing that idea that the Japanese couldn't keep up. There was were no grounds for it looking back. On the contrary.

My tinfoil hat makes me want to say it came off as some kind of underhanded campaign to demoralize Japan and competitively buckle their creative innovation which was leaps ahead of the west at the time.

I have the same suspicions when it comes to that too

Hearing the stuff said about Japanese Developers back in the PS3 Era still makes me mad to this day lol

But Japanese Developers ended up getting the last laugh in the long run

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

This was the era where you would struggle NOW to get games half as good as: Top Spin Tennis 4, Ridge Racer 7, Motorstorm, a decent James Bond game, Alpha Protocol, the Mass Effects...as well as Blur, and Split Second..

Astral Dog

not really

From the examples you mentioned we still got Bayonetta 2 and Bayonetta 3,i prefer playing the IGAvanias over Lords of Shadow,i prefer the new God of War games over the old ones, i don't care about Ninja Theory, Grand Theft Auto VI is finally getting released,Dante's Inferno wasn't that good, there are way more Indies released today than back then, i agree Super Mario Galaxy 2>

If you mean new IPs instead, yeah of course there was more greenlighted back then, but we still get gems from time to time,of all types SpiderMan, Horizon,Astral Chain, Bloodstained,Elden Ring,Ori, etc.

Thankfully i believe we still get plenty of quality these days, i just notice there is a change in the platforms and pacing when games get released(we wait a LOT more for a sequel to one of our favorite series than before, so it feels like. there are fewer games , the tradeoff is that they look a lot better)i don't think its that bad because publishers still make interesting stuff as long as you don't expect just western games

There are also exceptions for example it feels like Capcom makes a lot of Resident Evil games these days, and most of them are well recieved

Last edited:

FStubbs

As a jRPG fan, that gen was awful on consoles.

The DS was fun, and overall, the Wii had potential that was never fully realized.

Oh don't worry, PS4 nostalgia will be at our doorstep in about 6-10 ish years.

I mostly agree with your take. I will say that the PS360 gen was where western developers were really given breathing room to shine due to Japanese devs being stuck between a rock(PS3) and a hard place(Wii). It was not the best generation for Japanese AAA console games comparatively, but it was good enough I guess.

ThaGuy

It was a good gen especially for fps, but so many game companies closed during that era. I'll take every gen before then besides the Atari/Nes era honestly.

Last edited:

Kings Field

It was my favorite Gen.

Demons Souls
Dark Souls 1 and 2
Gears of War 1-3
Halo 3
Oblivion
Skyrim
Mass Effect trilogy
Assassinā€™s Creed 1-Brotherhood
Resistance
Lost Planet
Dead Space 1-3
MGR revengence
Left 4 Dead 1 and 2
The Golden Era of COD
Bayonetta
Nier
Bioshock

Just a fraction of what we got.

s_mirage

Overall it was a step back from the previous generation, but it was the last console generation that interested me and felt exciting. While budgets were becoming an issue, the big publishers were still taking some risks.

Mind you, it did a real number on FPS level design.

Top Bottom