• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Deus Ex: The Conspiracy (it had a subtitle?)

Dunan

Made a little progress today and, while I ideally want to go into everything blind, I want some advice:

I'm back in Hell's Kitchen* and had a chat with Paul. The bad guys are at the door and on my first try they shot me while I was trying to put a LAM in front of the door. I restarted and took them all out this time. But
after making my way out of the 'Ton, into the subway, and back to Battery Park, Gunther was there and he set me on fire, "killing" me. I woke up in prison and discovered that Paul was dead. Even though we took all those agents out? He couldn't get away? This is Deus Ex, so I know that there must be something I can do to save him. Is it even possible to kill Gunther? I would like to save Paul even if it means multiple restarts and a few spoilers. It was worth it for [double-secret-spoiler]Malik[/double-secret-spoiler] and I want to do it for Paul too.

This game is getting more and more interesting and I'm still in the early stages! I actually want to move a little faster.

(* - Question from this NY native: How is there an "18th Street" subway station in Hell's Kitchen? West 18th Street is solidly in Chelsea; Hell's Kitchen is solidly up in the West 40s northwest of Madison Square Garden. Did the producers just want the more menacing neighborhood name, or has New York become slummy enough that the residents of the 2050s are now putting neighboring areas in with "Hell's Kitchen"?)

foxtrot3d

Banned
Made a little progress today and, while I ideally want to go into everything blind, I want some advice:

I'm back in Hell's Kitchen* and had a chat with Paul. The bad guys are at the door and on my first try they shot me while I was trying to put a LAM in front of the door. I restarted and took them all out this time. But
after making my way out of the 'Ton, into the subway, and back to Battery Park, Gunther was there and he set me on fire, "killing" me. I woke up in prison and discovered that Paul was dead. Even though we took all those agents out? He couldn't get away? This is Deus Ex, so I know that there must be something I can do to save him. Is it even possible to kill Gunther? I would like to save Paul even if it means multiple restarts and a few spoilers. It was worth it for [double-secret-spoiler]Malik[/double-secret-spoiler] and I want to do it for Paul too.

This game is getting more and more interesting and I'm still in the early stages! I actually want to move a little faster.

(* - Question from this NY native: How is there an "18th Street" subway station in Hell's Kitchen? West 18th Street is solidly in Chelsea; Hell's Kitchen is solidly up in the West 40s northwest of Madison Square Garden. Did the producers just want the more menacing neighborhood name, or has New York become slummy enough that the residents of the 2050s are now putting neighboring areas in with "Hell's Kitchen"?)

Okay, so I'm at work now and can't look up the answer but I believe that in order for Paul to live you simply need to leave his apartment through the back window. If you try and go through the front door and fight the agents no matter what he will end up dead. So, yeah I think you just have to exit out the back window and leave him be after talking to him. However, no matter what you do have to get captured by Gunther.

Again, I'm not 100% positive on this as I can't remember the exact details but Paul can definietly survive. Also, don't try and make sense of street names, like most games they don't make a lick of sense.

EDIT:

Okay, IGNORE PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING I just said, its completely the opposite. If you exit out of the window Paul will die 100% everytime, to keep him alive you simply have to leave his apartment through the front door. Now, that of course means fighting the agents but Paul has invincible health so you can just wait it out and he'll kill them all just again remember to leave the apartment building through his front door and do not try and leve through the window. Even if all the agents are dead if you exit through the window Paul will die.

Dunan

Okay, so I'm at work now and can't look up the answer but I believe that in order for Paul to live you simply need to leave his apartment through the back window.

EDIT:

Okay, IGNORE PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING I just said, its completely the opposite. If you exit out of the window Paul will die 100% everytime, to keep him alive you simply have to leave his apartment through the front door.

^_^;;

I did indeed leave through the window, after taking down all the agents that came into the 'Ton, and scouting out the rest of the hotel, simply because it's a shorter walk! I'll go out the front door this time.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
1. That's terror

2. Always pick the GEP gun.

3. Never put points in swimming.

4. That's terror.

I've always played this game trying to reduce confrontation as much as possible, but I think I'm going to try being more lethal in my next playthrough. Heavy weapons, Rifles, Pistols instead of Lockpicking, Low-Tech, and Computers.

Does anyone know if Conspiravision ever plays in game? It sounds like a remix of Organic from UT99. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpXKPcCqQkU

Dunan

I do find it funny that the OP mistook the port for the original game.

OK, hold on a minute; I can see the PC fans laughing at phrases like "PS2 classic", but this part is going too far. I have always known that the PC version came first. But as a PS2 owner who has never had a PC, dusting off his old PS2 and thinking, "Now what great games are there for the PS2 that I haven't played yet?", Deus Ex comes immediately to mind, so I went out and bought it.

And to report on my progress, I finally reached Hong Kong, and finally we get an extended sequence of non-combat exploration and interaction. This is great! I can see how someone playing HR after this might find Hengsha to be a bit of a rehash, but still, it's fun.

(This faux-Chinese voice acting, though... ouch.)

I also managed to get my fellow prisoner to safety, after a whole lot of failures. The key was to tell him to stay where he was until I could deal with any danger ahead, then go back and tell him to stay close to me. I didn't see the
prison is in fact the lower levels of UNATCO
thing coming until the last minute; nice twist.

oni-link

I first played this 2 years ago (also the PS2 Classic version) and it blew me away, its still perfectly playable and the PS2 version does a great job of making it play well on a gamepad

It's such a shame there are so few games with the same sense of scope, it really feels like 3 games due to how long and diverse it is

kd-z

YhtFBTR.png
Only 8 hours? Pff, poser!

Says me, who only played the game once around the release of Human Revolution. I enjoyed it, especially when looking at it from the "this is what we lost, people" angle, but for some reason it didn't grab me. Perhaps I'm not really used to the way PC games from late '90s, early '00s were difficult.

I'm sure I'll replay it someday.

Human Revolution was love from the first sight, though. Loved that game from the beginning to the very end, every little bit. It's one of my favourite games ever.

I have not played Invisible War, but it's part of the plan. I want to experience it first-hand and I can't believe it was THAT bad.

OK, hold on a minute; I can see the PC fans laughing at phrases like "PS2 classic", but this part is going too far. I have always known that the PC version came first. But as a PS2 owner who has never had a PC, dusting off his old PS2 and thinking, "Now what great games are there for the PS2 that I haven't played yet?", Deus Ex comes immediately to mind, so I went out and bought it.

And to report on my progress, I finally reached Hong Kong, and finally we get an extended sequence of non-combat exploration and interaction. This is great! I can see how someone playing HR after this might find Hengsha to be a bit of a rehash, but still, it's fun.

(This faux-Chinese voice acting, though... ouch.)

I also managed to get my fellow prisoner to safety, after a whole lot of failures. The key was to tell him to stay where he was until I could deal with any danger ahead, then go back and tell him to stay close to me. I didn't see the
prison is in fact the lower levels of UNATCO
thing coming until the last minute; nice twist.

Sorry, I just assumed that was what happened. I was just poking fun. The game is amazing no matter what and its good to see someone else appreciating it.

China is probably the best part in the game, with its Engrish and rewarding exploration. Make sure you explore Tonnochi Road.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
China is probably the best part in the game, with its Engrish and rewarding exploration. Make sure you explore Tonnochi Road.
"Not advisable for tourists to visit the canals at night."

Best part is throwing that bitch out her penthouse window.

Oh, and
keeping the Dragon Tooth Sword

foxtrot3d

Banned
"Not advisable for tourists to visit the canals at night."

Best part is throwing that bitch out her penthouse window.

Oh, and
keeping the Dragon Tooth Sword

No the best part about Hong Kong is going into that club and talking to the black bartender with an hilariously comical Australian accent and in the process getting into a conversation about the strengths and weakness of capitalism and democracy.

"The West, so afraid of strong government, now has no government. Only financial power."

Those words sound so eerie today.

Dunan

I had never heard of the real-life Tonnochy Road or the person for whom it was named -- turns out that this not-very-Chinese-sounding name really isn't Chinese; he's Indian-Scottish:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Struan_Tonnochy

(I think he puts in an appearance in Jamese Clavell's Asian Saga, too.)

In any case, plenty of fun stuff to do there, though I kept getting lost. One bad thing about no-FAQ, no-guide, seat-of-your-pants gameplay is the niggling feeling that you're doing it wrong -- when I visited Maggie Chow's apartment, I started poking around and fonud
the sword
, and thus skipped the visit to the police station that Maggie wanted me to make. Then when I went to Versalife HQ I didn't get to explore fully (what was the deal with that
radioactive area with the aliens?
) and missed a lot of areas.

Now, inside Versalife HQ for the second time, I'm having to hack all the computers because I never got any of the passwords.

The streets of Hong Kong are a lot more fun than those of New York. One of the monks, after asking me if I could speak Cantonese, asked me (I think) to get out of his way in a hybrid of Cantonese and Mandarin. If this weren't Deus Ex, I'd assume that the writers were sloppy, but because it is Deus Ex, I figure that the very perceptive writers are assuming that with Hong Kong being merged into the PRC and with the PRC actively pushing Mandarin on Chinese minorities, people are going to start talking like that.

I think Tong is a loyal HK separatist, though. His password,
, is
the year of the reversion
. He's old enough to remember that, isn't he?

This middle-game action is a lot more fun than the beginning was. If this game didn't have the tremendous following that it has, I might not have stuck with it long enough to get this far.

I can't believe you're talking about Hong Kong but don't mention the best thing about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FZ-12a3dTI

In any case, plenty of fun stuff to do there, though I kept getting lost. One bad thing about no-FAQ, no-guide, seat-of-your-pants gameplay is the niggling feeling that you're doing it wrong -- when I visited Maggie Chow's apartment, I started poking around and fonud
the sword
, and thus skipped the visit to the police station that Maggie wanted me to make. Then when I went to Versalife HQ I didn't get to explore fully (what was the deal with that
radioactive area with the aliens?
) and missed a lot of areas.

You'll never be able to see everything in a single playthrough anyway and I really wouldn't worry about playing the game 'wrong', Deus Ex is one of the few games in my opinion, that gets the concept of playing the game your way just right. I really liked HR, but one of my complaints about HR is that the game rewards you for a specific playstyle, you get more points for taking down enemies non-lethally, you get a big fat exp bonus for getting through a stage without alerts and even then, it's better to punch every enemy out as well, than to just slip through them like a ghost like I prefered doing in the original.

The original doesn't reward you for how you get your mission done, as long as you get it done.

In your specific case,
the radioactive alien section doesn't really have anything interesting except for your first encounter with them
and in the case of Maggie Chow...

If you go to the police station you actually find the exact opposite, evidence implicating her of evildoings, however your little visit there gives her the time to get away.

Edit: And since I mentioned the music, you should really check out the original PC opening, the opening song is great and while it's pretty bad graphically, it's a lot more exciting than just two dudes talking in front of a bunch of monitors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKGHL646PlU

They cut some lines from the PS2 OP as well, some of them probably due to 9/11.

This video puts those lines in annotation whenever they're supposed to come up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJegc9eEG8M

Hong Kong and especially Chow is probably my favorite part of the game. So many ways to go about it. I always loved how you can
get access to that pilot's apartment across the street and just take her her directly from there
. It's such an odd and even abrupt approach and you miss a lot of thrilling drama, but the fact you can do it.... just the fact you can think about it, that you can even find a window across the street and even consider it... that you get that creative freedom or choice. I still love that moment you walk onto that street, and see all the neon, lights and apartments stretching to the sky, and you ask yourself, well, we're here... how do we want to go about this....

Dunan

Finally finished my first-ever run through Deus Ex! Stayed up about two hours too late and saw all three endings one after the other. I picked the Illuminati one as my "real" ending, though the Helios one is also appealing. I was looking for an extra one in which you could
join Page and take up his offer of a whole continent
but that doesn't seem possible.

It certainly took me a long time, and several sections drag a little, but the length was worth it, because there was enough time to get good at the combat by the later stages. I would have liked to get out of NYC a little sooner and then make that second visit to Hell's Kitchen after seeing a totally-different location. The DEHR developers made the right decision having Detroit and Sarif Industries as a semi-hub that you go back to multiple times.

Hong Kong did indeed have the best music. I liked HR's soundtrack a little more, but no complaints here. Hearing the DX theme worked into the cathedral organs was a nice touch. The nightclub music was nowhere near as good as that of The Hive. I've been listening to all kinds of great remixes including the OCRemix album, which is short but excellent.

Having played through the original, I now see why some people were disappointed with Human Revolution -- so many DXHR plot points were taken directly from the first game! An American city; a Chinese city; a French-speaking city; an ally who will probably die in most playthroughs but who can be saved if you know what to do; a situation where you wake up in an unknown location; a nightclub (which you can pay to enter, or sneak into); a hostage situation (that you don't have to succeed in to move on with the game); three abrupt ending choices.

But I still like them both, and will be giving DXHR another run-through (in another language; Japanese this time) very soon. I haven't played the mobile game; is it worth a look?

Top Bottom