• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Diddy Kong Racing

Wow, talk about a trip down memory lane. I had found my old N64 lying around the storage room and quickly took it out to get it set up. I had a lot of great memories with this machine as a kid. I was with my sister at a local Walmart when my parents decided to surprise us with the N64. I was only a young kid, so I had no idea what it was or what games it had. All I knew was I would be going home with an N64 and Diddy Kong Racing. When my sister and I opened it up, I didn't care about the the controversial controller, or how terrible the analog stick was (surprisingly, mines held up for 20 years), or how many games had so much fog in its draw distance. What mattered to me was playing on the N64 with friends and family, and Diddy Kong Racing was such a perfect multiplayer game for the family.

dkr-title-screen.jpg

Upon the title screen, you're greeted with Diddy Kong, Pipsy, and Timber and that oh so catchy music. That title screen was always nice to see and had a lot of humour to it. Like TipTup loses control and swerves around, or when Bumper starts running back to the Hovercraft after Drumstick passes him, or when Banjo hits Krunch. The music really sets the tone for the rest of the game. I may not know all of David Wise's work, but boy he did an amazing job with the OST for this game.

What was even more interesting about the game is that you had a small sandbox-ish world with 4 segmented worlds, each representing a theme. Dino Domain (Dinosaurs theme), Snowflake Mountain (Winter theme), Sherbet Island (Pirate/Sea theme), and Dragon Forest (Medieval Theme). This was huge because what kind of racing game features an adventure mode? The point of the game is simple, collect as many balloons as possible and move onto the next world. Furthermore, once you have proven your worth in each of the tracks within the world, you'll have access to the Silver Coin Challenges, in which you have to collect 8 silver Nintendo coins AND win the race. After that, you'll have access to boss battles to unlock a piece of Wizpig's Amulet in each world.

But what really sold the game for me and the family, was multiplayer. My sister and I would play the everliving crap out of it, trying to best each other by taking advantage of the stackable power-ups, zipper routes on tracks, shortcuts, etc. We had our fun moments of victory, our hilarious rages (getting hit by the 3rd red balloon power-ups 10 times is not fun, but insanely funny if you're dishing it out). What was even more mindblowing is that the game also had 4 unlockable multiplayer battle modes. Darkwater Beach and Icicle Pyramid were freaking fun as the point of the game is simply to beat the shit out of other players by using power-ups and evading hazards by using hovercrafts and karts respectively. In addition, you had interesting multiplayer race-typed games like Fire Mountain (collect and hatch 3 eggs before someone else does), and Smokey's Castle (collect and return 8 bananas to your pile before someone else does). As a kid I could never beat certain aspects of Adventure Mode, so the bulk of our play time was exclusively multiplayer.

15 years later, I was finally able to beat Diddy Kong Racing and unlock a lot of cool things (Smokey the Dragon was my childhood nightmare), particularly T.T. and Drumstick. I still am amazed at how well I can take advantage of what it had to offer in terms of single-player and multiplayer. My sister (who was a teenager back then) and I are adults now, and still make the time to have a bit of fun laughing at how rusty we've both become.

You know, it's thanks to this game that I have all the memories that I cherish. Additionally, I'm now interested in trying out some of Rare's N64 gems that I couldn't get into back in the days, particularly: Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, and Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Serge85

I just replayed it a month ago, on my rgb modded n64.

I Completed the game (adventure, adventure 2, all time trials to unlock T.T)

Great game, lots of fun.

Oh so this is actually a RTTP? I wanted to play this again too, but I think my catridge died. No matter how many times I blow it just won't work.

Dylan

I hated this game with a passion. I played through and beat every part of that game because it came out a a time when the N64 landscape was bone dry.

I was a staunch defender of Nintendo even through the playstation era, I didn't mind missing Final Fantasy because Mario & Zelda were just so fucking good, but Diddy Kong Racing was the straw that broke the camels back. There were some great things about this game but the slow-down and annoying "try it until something goes right" boss runs were just way too aggravating.

I think the only really cool stand-out thing about this game was the one multiplayer mode where you had to bring eggs back to your nest, and even then, trying to play that in four player split screen was a chore.

Curse this infernal game! "Murderers of peoples time".

Coen

I hated this game with a passion. I played through and beat every part of that game because it came out a a time when the N64 landscape was bone dry.

Oh come on, that's just factually wrong. Nintendo released Star Fox 64, GoldenEye, Mischief Makers and Tetrisphere alongside Diddy Kong Racing in the later half of 1997. It also saw a couple of memorable third party releases in WCW vs NWO, Extreme-G, Top Gear Rally and San Francisco Rush.

Loved Diddy Kong Racing back in the day. Recently tried to play the DS version but I found it to be nowhere near as good as the original. Hopefully the N64 version comes to Virtual Console on Switch.

RoyalFool

Banned
Ex-rare dev here, happy to answer questions on this one. I remember the team being super proud of the audio system which unfortunately didn't get the praise it deserved and went largely unnoticed. Then we got moved onto speedway...

Fantastic game. The visuals, music, controls, the MP options, the co-op gameplay etc. There is so much to love about this game and it has aged perfectly IMO.

Camjo-Z

Didn't they remake this for the DS?

How does the DS version compare?

It was a pretty bad remake. They added the typical annoying DS gimmicks (blow in the mic for a boost start! Touch-based balloon tapping challenges instead of silver coin races!), messed up the item balance, removed Banjo and Conker in favor of Dixie and a strangely older Tiny Kong, made Raj sound like a creepy old man, and changed the T.T. races to these awful new "create-a-course" tracks.

On the plus side, you can play as Raj and Wizpig, and it has 4 new jungle-themed tracks. The few positives aren't enough to recommend it over the N64 version though.

Lynd7

I played the N64 one a couple of years ago to full completion, I really got into it. Great game still.

Ex-rare dev here, happy to answer questions on this one. I remember the team being super proud of the audio system which unfortunately didn't get the praise it deserved and went largely unnoticed. Then we got moved onto speedway...
I appreciated the voice samples during that one vocal version of the theme song that plays during one short cutscene in adventure mode. If that took advantage of the audio system, just know that I noticed it!

Lynd7

What was different about the audio system? Music and sound effects are really good though.

Gvitor

One my favorite games of all time (if not the one)

Really a shame we didn't get a proper sequel after all of those years. Those Monster Games rumors and Diddy's absence in MK8 are still driving me crazy. C'mon Nintendo!

Maxrunner

I miss Rareware games on Nintendo machines. :(

!!!!!! @ bolded.

What was the audio system, sounds pretty interesting and if it's what I think it is (quirks like each character having their own horn sounds, OST, etc), then please know that you and your team's hard work didn't go unnoticed.

Loved Diddy Kong Racing back in the day. Recently tried to play the DS version but I found it to be nowhere near as good as the original. Hopefully the N64 version comes to Virtual Console on Switch.

Unless Rare agrees to allow Nintendo to use Banjo and Conker, it won't happen. Though it would be AMAZING if Rare's N64 offerings were available for download (other than DK64).

RoyalFool

Banned
I appreciated the voice samples during that one vocal version of the theme song that plays during one short cutscene in adventure mode. If that took advantage of the audio system, just know that I noticed it!

Ah well, we would transition the midi instruments using the players distance from each zone, so when you travelled between themed ares the music would very slowly shift, giving you all sorts of weird and wonderful combinations along the way. We tried to turn the n64s disadvantage (no cd audio) into a positive, but made it so subtle nobody bloody noticed.

Lynd7

Ah well, we would transition the midi instruments using the players distance from each zone, so when you travelled between themed ares the music would very slowly shift, giving you all sorts of weird and wonderful combinations along the way. We tried to turn the n64s disadvantage (no cd audio) into a positive, but made it so subtle nobody bloody noticed.

Ah yeah, I've noticed that before, cool.

Dylan

Oh come on, that's just factually wrong. Nintendo released Star Fox 64, GoldenEye, Mischief Makers and Tetrisphere alongside Diddy Kong Racing in the later half of 1997. It also saw a couple of memorable third party releases in WCW vs NWO, Extreme-G, Top Gear Rally and San Francisco Rush.

Star Fox was July, Goldeneye was August.

DKR came out in November, and we would not see a great game released until F-Zero X, which was September 1998.

I stand by my point!

edit: Holy shit they actually released SimCity 2000 on the N64 in Japan? What the fuck.

boyshine

Speaking of sound, do you know the reason for dropping music in 3- and 4-player race? That's the biggest failure IMO. Singleplayer was great, but multiplayer (especially mentioned mode) felt unfinished.

Phreak47

Had a regular 4 player Kart squad going for a while, and we were all very hopeful this would be the replacement obsession.

The plane races are cool but in the end, we always headed back to Wario Stadium.

Dylan

Speaking of sound, do you know the reason for dropping music in 3- and 4-player race? That's the biggest failure IMO. Singleplayer was great, but multiplayer (especially mentioned mode, felt unfinished).

The dev will obviously know more than I do, but I think the N64 sound processing was done by the main CPU, which meant that sacrifices needed to be made to do stuff like 4 player split screen. What a weird machine that was.

RoyalFool

Banned
Speaking of sound, do you know the reason for dropping music in 3- and 4-player race? That's the biggest failure IMO. Singleplayer was great, but multiplayer (especially mentioned mode) felt unfinished.

Was a performance issue I think, or too many sound channels being used. Multiplayer for both dkr and goldeneye were thrown in at the last minute without much testing, how times have changed.

RGamer2009

Neo Member
Yeah, I noticed how good the sound samples were once Mickey Speedway USA hit. They sounded awesome on the N64!

Question on Speedway USA, Was there any major changes between the engine from Diddy Kong Racing and Mickey Speedway? I know they used pretty much the same engine but I wanna hear if there is any major changes that may not be immediately noticable.

This was a great game, and even held up when I replayed it when I was a bit older. Never managed to beat the last wizpig race though, even though I did pretty much everything else including unlocking TT. That race felt really broken and I didn't feel motivated to finish it.

Oh and I remember the game becoming much easier when (iirc) I discovered that you can get a bigger boost by letting go of the acceleration when hitting the boost pad.

Nepenthe

Played and beat this game again sometime last year on an emulator (with keyboard controls because I'm a masochist). Drifting is a bit twitchy compared to more modern offerings, but all in all it's still a game I adore. Loved the locations and track design, the use of different vehicles, and the audio. Having bosses be giant creatures was cool too, and one of the most satisfying achievements is just beating Wizpig the first time in a car, since it basically demands a perfect run and I appreciated the difficulty spike.

Also, Adventure Mode was cool. Not only was it awesome following through on the little bit of lore and narrative the game had, but I loved just exploring around and seeing how far my vehicle could go on the island. And you get to unlock extra tracks in spaaaace!

Diddy Kong Racing is my life, and for some weird reason I'm still hoping we get a true blue sequel. All-Stars Racing Transformed was a close tide over, but it's not Rare, yanno?

Ooh, you worked on the game! Massive thanks to a gem from my childhood! What are the details of the audio system? Are you talking about the way the music faded in and out between different mixes on tracks like Boulder Canyon? EDIT: I'm clearly late. xD

Can I also say I just really enjoy the sound effects and jingles in this game too? The twinkling jingle when you start a race or when you collect a major object is really nostalgic to me.

Oh cool. This was my racing game during this generation. I spent a lot of time playing this game.

This was a great game, and even held up when I replayed it when I was a bit older. Never managed to beat the last wizpig race though, even though I did pretty much everything else including unlocking TT. That race felt really broken and I didn't feel motivated to finish it.

Oh and I remember the game becoming much easier when (iirc) I discovered that you can get a bigger boost by letting go of the acceleration when hitting the boost pad.

The last Wizpig race is a bit more balanced than the first, especially since it relies on player skill to be able to make sharp turns while also maintaining your balance. The first Wizpig race was a bit bullshit in that you needed to have a perfect run and hit all the zippers, or else you automatically lost since you wouldn't have enough time to catch up.

Xenoblade

Was a performance issue I think, or too many sound channels being used. Multiplayer for both dkr and goldeneye were thrown in at the last minute without much testing, how times have changed.

Just want to thank you for making my childhood bearable amid all the bullshit that was going on around me at the time. The worlds that Rare and Nintendo created were the only escape I had.

bounchfx

this game was my god damn jam when I was in high school. it had so much content and I loved the adventure mode plus having multiple vehicles. So good.

JaseMath

How many (cancelled) titles was Wizpig going to be featured in? I know the answer is probably "ALL OF THEM" but I just want confirmation.

Top Bottom