• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Diddy Kong Racing

Chittagong

Gold Member
Wow. Seems I remembered right, but it's even crazier than I recalled. Diddy Kong Racing missed E3 1997 because it didn't exist yet. In July 1997 it was still Pro-AM 64, and that's when Miyamoto first saw it. As the delay of "Dream" (Banjo-Kazooie) beyond the holidays was looking certain, he suggested to plunk in Donkey Kong characters.

So between July and December, Rare repurposed Pro-AM 64 to Diddy Kong Racing, created tons of marketing art for it, localised the game, tested and got it certified, produced the cartridges and shipped them globally, to great commercial success.

That must be one of the most heroic things a development team has ever done.

https://www.unseen64.net/2010/02/27/diddy-kong-racing-n64-beta-proto/

MicH

This game blew my mind back in the day. Going from Mario Kart 64 to this was quite an experience. There were so many things to explore! And the music us so great! The Frosty Village soundtrack will always have a place know my heart.

One if my fondest memories was when a friend, who also had the game, shared a ton of cheat codes with me. That was so much fun!

I always found it inferior to Mario Kart 64, especially battle mode in MK64 was way better and the handling in Diddy just didn't do it for me.

jeremy1456

I remember playing it and being amazed. Mario Kart 64 was actually kind of disappointing to me, and so this more than made up for it.

I still play the N64 version of DKR occasionally and love it. Favorite Kart racer ever.

I later played Crash Team Racing and still feel very bad for the people who love the genre but only had a PS1 that generation.

I remember playing this game on the Sony Trinitron and thinking this is the second best game on the N64 after golden eye.

Then my dad bought an Onkyo amplifier and JBL speakers. I had an eargasm that day. It may be my shady memory but Rare games had an extra oomph in sound compared to other developers.

gaugebozo

I never beat the dragon. *single tear*

My favorite thing about this game was the ability to race planes, which was something I wanted in a game since the NES' Top Gun. It was really satisfying to pull off a non-homing missle hit on a plane, too.

Lynd7

The boosting mechanics to get extra distance was a good touch too. Lots of little things in this game.

daTRUballin

That would be 7 months later, and oh my goodness gracious no.

Well, despite what you personally think about the game, it was still critically acclaimed and it's considered one of the best N64 games of all time by many people. So the N64 DID have an important game come out for it between DKR and F-Zero X. There are probably other games that came out during that time as well.

Ah well, we would transition the midi instruments using the players distance from each zone, so when you travelled between themed ares the music would very slowly shift, giving you all sorts of weird and wonderful combinations along the way. We tried to turn the n64s disadvantage (no cd audio) into a positive, but made it so subtle nobody bloody noticed.

I noticed. Actually, it was my friend. I was playing, and he suddenly said "turn around, go back...how are they doing that!?

He was a big audio guy. He was impressed by Conker dancing along with the music in the nightclub, too.

Wow. Seems I remembered right, but it's even crazier than I recalled. Diddy Kong Racing missed E3 1997 because it didn't exist yet. In July 1997 it was still Pro-AM 64, and that's when Miyamoto first saw it. As the delay of "Dream" (Banjo-Kazooie) beyond the holidays was looking certain, he suggested to plunk in Donkey Kong characters.

So between July and December, Rare repurposed Pro-AM 64 to Diddy Kong Racing, created tons of marketing art for it, localised the game, tested and got it certified, produced the cartridges and shipped them globally, to great commercial success.

That must be one of the most heroic things a development team has ever done.

https://www.unseen64.net/2010/02/27/diddy-kong-racing-n64-beta-proto/

Wow! I think the only thing I've heard that might compare would be the Metroid Prime 2 story. I don't recall the particulars, but it was something along the lines of them starting over on it, for some reason, and banging out the game in like 8 months.

SuomiDude

One of the best memories I have is when I played the adventure mode in co-op (requires a code to open it) with my little brother. We made it a real challenge as well, because we wanted to win every race at 1st place on first try, including coin challenges and boss fights. We actually completed that challenge of ours as well :)

Ah well, we would transition the midi instruments using the players distance from each zone, so when you travelled between themed ares the music would very slowly shift, giving you all sorts of weird and wonderful combinations along the way. We tried to turn the n64s disadvantage (no cd audio) into a positive, but made it so subtle nobody bloody noticed.
One of the coolest things about the game! I remember reading about it in reviews, so some of us noticed. :)

Just about to finish Adventure 2 and Adventure 2 might just be my favourite postgame feature in a racing game. Mirroring some of the tracks gave you access to interesting shortcuts that you don't really see in the regular tracks (Frosty Village). Also gave me a hard time collecting some of the Silver Coins.

T.T. is hilariously overpowered in terms of speed but handling is meh.

This was far better than Mario Kart 64. I absolutely adored Diddy Kong Racing with the different vehicles and sort-of adventuring.

A sequel to this game would be so, so good.

shandy706

One of the coolest things about the game! I remember reading about it in reviews, so some of us noticed. :)

I think I remember mentions about the audio too. It was a US magazine.

I absolutely LOVED this game.

I tried to hook both of my N64s up to a Vizio the other day (1080p) and neither would come up on the screen. I have 3 other TV's I can try it on including a 4k. I don't know if it's the TV that I tried it on, or if it is the systems. I didn't get any video signal with 2 separate A/V cables, despite both systems showing as "on". I'm hoping it was just the TV.

So apparently I had no idea there was a fifth theme for the tracks. Like, I played this game 20 years ago....

The overworld theme, Frosty Peak, Pirate Lagoon all have great music.

So apparently I had no idea there was a fifth theme for the tracks. Like, I played this game 20 years ago....

The overworld theme, Frosty Peak, Pirate Lagoon all have great music.

I had no idea that this game could be finished. I spent so many hours on multiplayer and wasn't until I booted my N64 this year that I went ahead and beat the game.

Best cart racer ever. Better than MarioKart 64.

This needs to return so bad, but I fear it never will.

My favorite track was Crescent Island. I had some great memories of barely winning against my father or brother with that last shortcut at the very end of the track...High risk, huge reward.

It's got a great remix on YouTube. The music is just so joyful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPrSwkJ2btw

Ex-rare dev here, happy to answer questions on this one. I remember the team being super proud of the audio system which unfortunately didn't get the praise it deserved and went largely unnoticed. Then we got moved onto speedway...

Thanks for being a part of bringing joy to my childhood. The game means a lot to me honestly.

This, and he wasn't that great of a racer either. Drumstick all the way. Also really liked using Conquer.

Man, I remember when I "beat" the game and then one day messing around hitting the light house by accident to reveal another final world was crazy wild for me.

HUH? lol my brother and I banned T.T. because he was so ridiculously fast compared to other racers.

L Thammy

Ex-rare dev here, happy to answer questions on this one. I remember the team being super proud of the audio system which unfortunately didn't get the praise it deserved and went largely unnoticed. Then we got moved onto speedway...

Were you aware that Tiptup is the greatest or did it just accidentally happen that way?

Did you intentionally make unlocking T.T. a huge pain in the ass?

Did you ever meet David Wise, and was it a religious experience?

Were you aware that Tiptup is the greatest or did it just accidentally happen that way?

Did you intentionally make unlocking T.T. a huge pain in the ass?

Did you ever meet David Wise, and was it a religious experience?

This, and he wasn't that great of a racer either. Drumstick all the way. Also really liked using Conquer.

Man, I remember when I "beat" the game and then one day messing around hitting the light house by accident to reveal another final world was crazy wild for me.

grim-tales

Loved DKR, an amazing game :) Especially the Adventure Mode, something new for a racing game back then. Great soundtrack too.

Top Bottom