• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)

Edit: Sorry about the picture size and quality. Tough to find decents pics of the game for some reason.

I just beat Donkey Kong Country 2 yesterday evening for the very first time. I somehow missed out on the series as a kid, and recently played through Donkey Kong Country 1, so I gave the sequel a shot. I liked it. It was pretty good.

DK_Country_2.jpg

latest

I must say that while the worlds are decently varied compared to the first game, they are more or less the usual platformer worlds. The aesthetics were pretty neat though.

I don't pay attention much to music in games, but there wasn't anything that was annoying or that I hated about it in particular, so we're all good.

DKC2-GhostlyGrove4.gif

The new "Team Up" mechanic is neat, and Dixie's hair spin is quite handy. We're off to a good start.

Funky%27s_Flights_II.png
KongKollege.png

I feel that the saving and traveling systems are more developed this time around. The use of coins made more sense to me. Although the cost quickly became irrelevant because you can farm for coins in many levels, and pause and quit any level you've already completed.

The first couple hours seemed MUCH easier than the original, so I began to get a big head, but then the game slapped me across the face. I dont quite recall the exact level, but damn it hit me hard.

I feel like the game relied much less on cheap enemy placement like I feel the first game is guilty of. Instead this one relies on being a bastard. This game can be a real pain in the ass.

Screech's Sprint
ScreechsSprint-SNES-4.png

This portion of Animal Antics
8-5d.png

Toxic Tower
Toxic_Tower.png

Castle Crush
CastleCrush-SNES-7.png

To name a few.

The boss battles are great this time around! Some of my favorites:

Kreepy Krow
hqdefault.jpg

Kleever
SNES--Donkey%20Kong%20Country%202%20%20Diddys%20Kong%20Quest_Jul2%2022_20_18.png

Kudgel
Kudgel_-_DKC2_SNES_Battle.png

Despite some ultra difficult parts, the game was very enjoyable, but I didn't care enough to 100% it, so I took advantage of the 75 Kremkoin cheat.

If you're not familiar: Here it is

the_lost_world_01_595.png

The Lost World definitely ramped up the difficulty quite a bit, but I enjoyed some of those the most. I felt that the hidden boss was easier than the normal final battle though. For me that definitely was the case at least. Funny story: I beat it within 6 minutes of unlocking it. I was updating a friend on my progress, so time stamps made it easy to tell. It took me at least an hour to beat Animal Antics to actually unlock it.

Overall a nice experience, and I plan to finish off the original trilogy by playing DKC3 somewhat soon.
300px-Original_DKC3_box_US.jpg

I have to point out that I didn't know the title of the game until I looked at the cartridge to make this thread to ensure I was correct about the full title of the game. I was wrong. Kong quest?
5930d53077224509180a57bc6b13c87c69c91fb431f8edd81f45dd938a3352c0.jpg

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The best of the SNES trilogy for sure. A shame it didn’t make its way to the SNES classic but I can understand why Nintendo would choose DKC over it. Oh well.

My favorite SNES game, let alone the best DKC game. Better than the original in every conceivable way. And the music! My God the music!!!

Spectacular game all around. Sadly DKC3 never got to that point but it's still good.

Oh and Dixie Kong rocks! She still has a zero kidnapping record vs Donkey and Diddy's 2 and 1 respectively.

//ARCANUM

I recently learned (from a NeoGAF thread) that the name of this game is Diddy’s Kong Quest (as you pointed out) and not Diddy Kong’s Quest. When I learned that, my mind was blown. My whole life I’ve stared at that title and read it wrong.

Velcro Fly

This is the game that I want to love but I'm just bad at it.

I was pretty good at the first game for the most part but getting past the third or fourth world in this was really difficult for me. Maybe playing it on a rental instead of owning the game like the first was what did me in.

Better than the overrated Neogaf darling Tropical freeze.

*The right amount of collectibles (not five million puzzle pieces)
*Best atmosphere in the series
*Unique characters with differences that actually stand out (in Tropical freeze any sidekick that isn’t Dixie Kong is superfluous)
*Hilarious and witty writing
*Best soundtrack of the series
*Difficulty that makes the game enjoyable not frustrating
*Superior controls and physics to the Wii U titles
*Enemies and NPCs with charm and personality the retro titles can’t match

daTRUballin

Great game. Probably the best DKC game of the trilogy (never played the Retro ones, so I can’t compare it with those). Great graphics for its time, wonderful soundtrack, great atmosphere, varied and well executed worlds, challenging gameplay, and most importantly, Cranky Kong! What’s not to like?

I agree the game can be a real bitch though. Fuck Toxic Tower.

denx

Best game in the trilogy by quite a distance. The platforming, enemy designs and variety, visuals and soundtrack are top notch.

Joeku

Literally one of the best games of all time. Some of the later levels especially catch a weird vibe of difficult and zen that has never been recreated. I can hear, in my head, the sound effects of ghost ropes and music and monkeys and bees all mixing in a way that nothing else does.

The title always bugged me.

Shouldn't it be "Diddy Kong's Adventure"

Or there is something called Kong Adventure I have no knowledge about.

cantona222

It is funny how the graphics of the Donkey Kong Country SNES trilogy was considered better or let's say more advanced than Super Mario World at that time. Then after 20 years or so people changed their thought.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I feel I should write on my CV that I read the title of DKC2 correctly as a kid, since that seems to be a remarkable fact.

daTRUballin

It is funny how the graphics of the Donkey Kong Country SNES trilogy was considered better or let's say more advanced than Super Mario World at that time. Then after 20 years or so people changed their thought.

Well......They definitely were more advanced than World’s. It’s just that some people feel Mario’s graphics have aged better.

Personally, I think the DKC games still look just fine. As does Mario World. /shrug

TheMoon

OP, you surely meant 102%ing it. 100% is for babies :p

I feel I should write on my CV that I read the title of DKC2 correctly as a kid, since that seems to be a remarkable fact.

Same, especially as a non-native speaker who didn't even know any English at all in 1995 besides EXIT, QUIT, SAVE, and RETRY. :D

Well......They definitely were more advanced than World's. It's just that some people feel Mario's graphics have aged better.

Personally, I think the DKC games still look just fine. As does Mario World. /shrug

They do. DKC trilogy is still some of the best looking 16bit stuff. People are just being silly.

Celine

One of the best 2D platformer of the 16 bit era and therefore of all time.
As far as DKC games go it was topped only by Tropical Freeze which was released 20 years later.
So if you didn't play it yet, give TF a try (don't expect DKC like those made by Rare though Retro's DKC are different).

OP, you surely meant 102%ing it. 100% is for babies

Ahhh, I did! Rookie mistake!

One of the best 2D platformer of the 16 bit era and therefore of all time.
As far as DKC games go it was topped only by Tropical Freeze which was released 20 years later.
So if you didn't play it yet, give TF a try (don't expect DKC like those made by Rare though Retro's DKC are different).

I most likely will at some point. I mean I have to. There is all this anger for the Retro titles, and beside that there are people that love them. I will finish the original trilogy first, then at some point I'll move into Retro's.

I promise I'll keep an open mind.

Also, off topic, but I am curious: are Retro's games anywhere near the difficulty of the SNES entries?

The atmosphere this game creates with its visuals and music is sublime. I never got through the secret world but Im planing to do that soon after Im done with SMW

Most unique platformer atmosphere. Absolutely unforgettable and the game was really well designed too. Definitely up there with SMW and Yoshi's Island.

I slightly like DKC 1 more due to nostalgia but I cannot deny that DKC 2 is pretty close to a masterpiece. Stickerbush Symphony is a legendary game music track.

Top Bottom