• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)

Platy

How does this still happen in 2017?

DK_Country_2.jpg

AKA DIDDY'S CONQUEST

Also it is Diddy Kong's Quest and Diddy's Quest to save [donkey] Kong so it works on multiple levels

Chucker

I don't pay attention much to music in games, but there wasn't anything that was annoying or that I hated about it in particular, so we're all good.

Joke post.

That being said, I absolutely adore this game, and have such nostalgia for the Christmas Break where I got this game.
Can't wait to dig into it again.

limlark

I don't pay attention much to music in games, but there wasn't anything that was annoying or that I hated about it in particular, so we're all good.
Didn't expect that. I remember as a kid, whenever we had to clean the house, we'd put on the sound test mode of whatever game we liked and play the hits while we worked. DKC2 got a lot of use for that.

I preferred the original as far as the actual game, though. I thought it was silly how it had all the same enemies, but this time they were all pirates for some reason. Still played the heck out of it, though.

Dude... as good as the entire game is, the music is the best part.

It kills me that this is all you had to say about the music of the game:

Joke post.

Didn't expect that. I remember as a kid, whenever we had to clean the house, we'd put on the sound test mode of whatever game we liked and play the hits while we worked. DKC2 got a lot of use for that.

Yeah, I don't know, guys. I never pay attention to music very much in games. I don't know what's wrong with me ._.

daTRUballin

Slightly off-topic, but I really need to try out Returns and Tropical Freeze at some point. I was thinking of getting Returns on the Wii U VC. Does the Wii U gamepad work fine for the game? I imagine if TF was designed around the Wii U gamepad, then Returns wouldn’t have any problems with the controls despite being a Wii game?

And after reading about what people are saying about Retro’s games being harder..........I’m not sure how I feel about that. DKC2 had me almost ripping my hair out* in some levels. To hear that Retro’s games are even harder, I’m not sure I’ll have any hair left by the time I finish them!

*Not to be taken literally of course.

hydruxo

One of my all-time favorite games. The atmosphere, OST, and level design are just mindblowingly good. Love this game to pieces.

Dad

Slightly off-topic, but I really need to try out Returns and Tropical Freeze at some point. I was thinking of getting Returns on the Wii U VC. Does the Wii U gamepad work fine for the game? I imagine if TF was designed around the Wii U gamepad, then Returns wouldn't have any problems with the controls despite being a Wii game?

And after reading about what people are saying about Retro's games being harder..........I'm not sure how I feel about that. DKC2 had me almost ripping my hair out* in some levels. To hear that Retro's games are even harder, I'm not sure I'll have any hair left by the time I finish them!

Returns requires the Wii remote to play so you're not going to be able to play it exclusively with the Gamepad. The rolling is tied to motion control so there isn't really a way around it minus homebrew/Dolphin or the 3DS port (the trade off being that's only 30fps and lower res). As far as difficulty, I'd say Returns is the hardest of the bunch and the only game in the series that I feel edges past challenging into frustrating in some areas. I'd compare Tropical Freeze's difficulty to DKC2

VDenter

Banned
Slightly off-topic, but I really need to try out Returns and Tropical Freeze at some point. I was thinking of getting Returns on the Wii U VC. Does the Wii U gamepad work fine for the game? I imagine if TF was designed around the Wii U gamepad, then Returns wouldn’t have any problems with the controls despite being a Wii game?

And after reading about what people are saying about Retro’s games being harder..........I’m not sure how I feel about that. DKC2 had me almost ripping my hair out* in some levels. To hear that Retro’s games are even harder, I’m not sure I’ll have any hair left by the time I finish them!

If you plan to play Returns you will need to use Wii remote but you cant play it with the Gamepad. Only Tropical Freeze works with it. The Retro games are hard but they are not cheap thanks to the games being widescreen and the zoomed out camera. You have more time to react to obstacles because of this. Plus the level design is fantastic so really the games are though but fair. Returns implementation of the motion controls are a none issue because they are incredibly responsive.

daTRUballin

Returns requires the Wii remote to play so you're not going to be able to play it exclusively with the Gamepad. The rolling is tied to motion control so there isn't really a way around it minus homebrew/Dolphin or the 3DS port (the trade off being that's only 30fps and lower res). As far as difficulty, I'd say Returns is the hardest of the bunch and the only game in the series that I feel edges past challenging into frustrating in some areas. I'd compare Tropical Freeze's difficulty to DKC2

If you plan to play Returns you will need to use Wii remote but you cant play it with the Gamepad. Only Tropical Freeze works with it. The Retro games are hard but they are not cheap thanks to the games being widescreen and the zoomed out camera. You have more time to react to obstacles because of this. Plus the level design is fantastic so really the games are though but fair. Returns implementation of the motion controls are a none issue because they are incredibly responsive.

Thanks for the responses! We do have Wiimotes, so we’re good on that front! :p

And yeah, kinda weird that Returns would be harder than Tropical Freeze considering the former’s shorter development time, but yeah. I’m hoping I’ll be able to handle it. Should be fun anyway!

ghibli99

My favorite of the SNES trilogy, its music is king, but Returns and Tropical Freeze are just far better games overall.

dtcm83

I also finished DKC2 for the first time just last weekend, but I actually think the first one is better.

I haven't finished DKC2, have made it pretty far in (I imagine at least 50%), but find DKC1 the better game. Maybe my opinion will change if I make it all the way through 2...

Xbro

Thanks for the responses! We do have Wiimotes, so we’re good on that front! :p

And yeah, kinda weird that Returns would be harder than Tropical Freeze considering the former’s shorter development time, but yeah. I’m hoping I’ll be able to handle it. Should be fun anyway!

I honestly think it's debatable which of the two is harder. Personally, yes, I think Returns is harder, but that could just be because I mastered Returns before I played Tropical Freeze.

Toxic Tower was my nightmare. It sucked, because I was so close to finishing it lol.

That level seems to be agreed upon widely to be one of the trickiest.

Animal Antics was soo much worse for me.

Ugh. And near the end of Castle Crush for me at first. Could probably do it first try now, but the damned hook throwing bastards on either side kept hitting me no matter what I did.

Edit: It's name is Krook,

But to me it will always be known as "Hook Throwing Bastard."

daTRUballin

That level seems to be agreed upon widely to be one of the trickiest.

Animal Antics was soo much worse for me.

Ugh. And near the end of Castle Crush for me at first. Could probably do it first try now, but the damned hook throwing bastards on either side kept hitting me no matter what I did.

Edit: It's name is Krook,

But to me it will always be known as "Hook Throwing Bastard."

There’s kind of a trick to dodging those guys’ hooks. Or maybe it’s just something I do myself. You basically can just keep jumping over the hook and at the same time jumping towards the guy that throws the hooks, back and forth until the segment ends. Idk how to explain it well, but it works. That part’s not really that hard.

Top Bottom