• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: DOOM (2016) - Hell sure is boring

Same. I thought Doom 2016 was a near-perfect reboot. Circle strafing, tons of demons to blow away, the gameplay and formula is almost replicated from the originals with some modern touches, obviously.

it is a great reboot indeed, a great game? Not in my book.

Depending on how you look at it. But, of course, to each his own. I've always said Doom 3 is a great game, just not a great Doom game.

I am just someone that wants to experience new stuff. I can get mildly excited for Super Mario Oddesey, but that excitement is almost mute when put against the first times I saw Super Mario 64. Never understood the Bioware love last gen, I had that shit done with Kotor 1 en 2. etc. etc.

Zelda breath of the Wild though looks beyond just a ''replication''. i am genuinely excited for that game.

dogstar

Banned
Agree with the OP ... I have not finished it as I can only play in short bursts without getting bored... 15 to 20mins and I'm done.

Doom3 was a better game :)

razzel

If you're bored you're playing on a difficulty setting that's too easy. If you still don't like it your opinion is wrong and you need to think about how you've failed in life and seek help.

This, end thread. This is so on the button that I'm confused as to why people are still posting.

I think you should go back and play Doom 3 to see a truly overrated Doom (not that this got GOTY nod at launch but its metacritic is surprisingly high)...

Jeff G at giantbomb panned this game in recent conversations about Doom but I downloaded it anyway out of curiosity. Tiny corridor environments, average gunplay, and total lack of a personality make this game nothing more than an Unreal tech demo for advancements in lighting tech from 2003ish era.

Shooter campaigns (Halo CE aside) from this early 2000s era don't seem to hold up that well but some were legit garbo at the time too.

This, and I'd add that the jumping mechanic is a callback to the Quake-style arena shooters of the late 90's, which is very much part of id's DNA.

And then, on top of all that, they managed to give it a fucking amazing soundtrack without just making it a complete rehash of old Doom music, or some other, shittier thing. Instead, there's occasional nods to the old games, and incredible use of the music around different moments and encounters.

Doom 4 is an insult to the franchise and I have no idea why so many people are gushing over it. If you want to play an FPS like this but actually good, play Serious Sam or Painkiller.

Doom is my favorite FPS campaign since Crysis, but it's fine if it's not your thing.

What isn't fine is saying the combat loop is worse than Bioshock. Bioshock. I will never let this go. Seriously, what the fuck. It's like OP is trolling me specifically.

Doom 4 is an insult to the franchise and I have no idea why so many people are gushing over it. If you want to play an FPS like this but actually good, play Serious Sam or Painkiller.

Man, I love Serious Sam, but no. And Painkiller is a slog, I don't know why you're bringing it up.

Mman235

The fact that the level design in the first half (shame the second half settles more into the linear arena shooter format with a few exceptions) still gets complaints about backtracking, getting lost, and actually having to explore proves that we don't deserve interesting level design in FPS games.

Maxximo

I think you should go back and play Doom 3 to see a truly overrated Doom (not that this got GOTY nod at launch but its metacritic is surprisingly high)...

Jeff G at giantbomb panned this game in recent conversations about Doom but I downloaded it anyway out of curiosity. Tiny corridor environments, average gunplay, and total lack of a personality make this game nothing more than an Unreal tech demo for advancements in lighting tech from 2003ish era.

Shooter campaigns (Halo CE aside) from this early 2000s era don't seem to hold up that well but some were legit garbo at the time too.

There's more personality in the DOOM marine thumb than in all of the AAA games protagonists put together.

Raptomex

I am just someone that wants to experience new stuff. I can get mildly excited for Super Mario Oddesey, but that excitement is almost mute when put against the first times I saw Super Mario 64. Never understood the Bioware love last gen, I had that shit done with Kotor 1 en 2. etc. etc.

Zelda breath of the Wild though looks beyond just a ''replication''. i am genuinely excited for that game.
I will buy a Switch because I love Nintendo but also because Mario is my favorite franchise. Needless to say, I'm excited about Odyssey. Jumping from 2D to Mario 64 was a huge leap and so different and I think it would be hard to replicate a major change like that today. My only concern is I don't think it will be as "sandbox-y" as Mario 64, in general, with glitches/exploits, etc. But I've come to accept that. In Doom's case all I wanted was fast paced gameplay and to blow away a shit-ton of demons with awesome weapons. I got that so I was happy.

Hoo-doo

Banned
To those who don't like or get it, do you like the originals? It was all about circle strafing and decimating hordes of demons.

The originals are a few of my most favorite games of all time.
Same with other FPS from the nineties. RotT, Quake, Heretic, Hexen, Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, Blood. They basically defined gaming in my early days.

Yet Doom 2016 feels like a slog, I can't help it. And somehow there is 0.0% nostalgia factor making the game entertaining.
But i'm certainly enjoying the immense snark coming from some of the posters here, as if you're not a 'true gamer' if you didn't fawn over the latest game from Id.

I agree op.Plus the controls with the sticks are horrible.Movement with left stick has only two states, walk slow or run (is not analogue) and aiming with right stick feels not smooth at all, above all if you have played COD,TF2 or BF1 before...

Those games are painfully straight-forward compared to Doom. How many keycard hunts did either of them have? Doom is the perfect combination of retro FPS and Painkiller-like "wave" battles, with modern mechanics (like runes and weapon upgrades) thrown on top.

Doom also has way more platforming and verticality than Painkiller and Serious Sam. And better boss battles, too.

I also don't understand how anyone can say it's boring. For the love of god, crank up the difficulty. There's no way you're playing on Ultra Violence or above.

Those games are painfully straight-forward compared to Doom. How many keycard hunts did either of them have? Doom is the perfect combination of retro FPS and Painkiller-like "wave" battles, with modern mechanics (like runes and weapon upgrades) thrown on top.

Doom also has way more platforming and verticality than Painkiller and Serious Sam. And better boss battles, too.

Those "modern mechanics" are what drag the game down. And Serious Sam/Painkiller did have segments that broke from the wave-based combat.

Insult might be slightly harsh (but there is some truth to it, in my eyes) but it's definitely one of the most overrated games I've ever played, by a mile. If people want to play a proper Doom, try Brutal Doom 64.

spekkeh

Banned
I also don't understand how anyone can say it's boring. For the love of god, crank up the difficulty. There's no way you're playing on Ultra Violence or above.
The boringness comes from the repetitiveness, not the difficulty. Not everyone finds challenge inherently interesting.

Ban Puncher

338.jpg

Crayon

To those who don't like or get it, do you like the originals? It was all about circle strafing and decimating hordes of demons.

I love the originals and have lways played them regularly. They have a bit more strategy with ammo and health collection. And that in turn lets the level designs take on a more important role. In fact comma if you look at literally page 1 of the Doom 1 manual it says something along the lines of like this is not a pure action twitch game it's going to take some strategy and patience or something like that. Olden was good because it did have a sort of survival or horse slant to it and then as you got more familiar with the levels you could blast through and play it like a balls out action game. So I don't agree that the original Doom just all about your crazy action and the new one misses the mark a little bit.

To each his own. Doom was a pleasant surprise last year and I think it turned out great especially given how they went with 3, which I thought was slow and boring. I want more FPS like this.

They do nothing to make the game any more enjoyable. If anything, they feel like they were tacked on in an attempt to "modernize" mechanics that didn't need them.
The weapon upgrades were sex. Shotgun grenade launcher, Assault Rifle explosive darts, and the fully upgraded Super Shotgun that allowed you to shoot twice before reloading... *drool*

I also thought they complimented each other amazingly well. The Plasma Rifle stun paired with the Super Shotgun was a great way to quickly take out Pinkies, for example, and the Rocket Launcher's lock-on burst paired with the Gauss Rifle's charged shot absolutely wrecked large enemies.

Both they and the runes added depth to the combat and overall gameplay that simply wasn't there in the original. Were they 100% necessary? Perhaps not. But did they add something to the experience? Absolutely.

It's a shame they didn't go all out in the simplicity and flow of the game. There is too much downtime and non-killing in the game.
Arcade Mode actually kills most of said automated downtime (read: the lengthy forced exposition with Hayden) and encourages you to keep hauling ass. It's a welcome addition to the game.

I think the real culprit for me is the game's obsession with locked-in arena design. The level design in general follows the predictable short exploration > arena > short exploration > arena mantra ad nauseam which I thought was an incredibly bizarre for a Doom game.

The originals heavily relied on clever enemy placement within its maze-like surroundings. You could tell a ton of though was put into each map's encounters such as one trap pushing you into room X for another nasty surprise set up specifically for that reason and so on. There's a great YouTube video detailing this much better than anything I could say here if anyone's interested (fuck, cant recall the the title, sorry).

From my perspective, reboot DOOM's gameplay is the near-opposite of this design philosophy and that's my biggest disappointment with this game. It is fundamentally different in approach and I just don't see how it has much in common with the originals outside of superficial aspects.

I've been playing through on normal, I agree normal leaves me feeling kinda eh. Still like it and plan on playing on a higher difficulty.

Saw this the other day for £15 and heard the GAF praises in the back of my mind ignored them and got Quantum Break, thanks OP loving QB.

I think the real culprit for me is the game's obsession with locked-in arena design. The level design in general follows the predictable short exploration > arena > short exploration > arena mantra ad nauseam which I thought was an incredibly bizarre for a Doom game.

The originals heavily relied on clever enemy placement within its maze-like surroundings. You could tell a ton of though was put into each map's encounters such as one trap pushing you into room X for another nasty surprise set up specifically for that reason and so on. There's a great YouTube video detailing this much better than anything I could say here if anyone's interested (fuck, cant recall the the title, sorry).

From my perspective, reboot DOOM's gameplay is the near-opposite of this design philosophy and that's my biggest disappointment with this game. It is fundamentally different in approach and I just don't see how it has much in common with the originals outside of superficial aspects.

Well said. Completely agree.

AudioEppa

But I do find it a bit depressing that people find a focus on undeniably good gameplay loops to be a tiresome fault in this day and age.

Nothing is undeniably good. How we enjoy our favorite video games is not going to be the same for everyone, doesn't matter who's the majority either. At the end of the day games are like any product, their open to be celebrated and criticized.

Also some people still like giving games try regardless of Trailers, YouTube or Twitch, It's not OPs or the games fault, they just don't match. His post is like everybody else's who doesn't like something.

Problem with having so many options in the modern landscape is that I think people take the options they're not currently wired for for granted. 20 years ago, you'd embrace a game like DOOM wholesale not just because it was good, but because you didn't have nearly as much of a choice.

I disagree.

Having even more choices now then before is better for the consumer, who can find a out for themselves by trying out games to see what they do or don't like. Years ago I played DOOM and it did nothing for me, I moved onto different games until I discovered the right games for me.

This industry is growing every year and with that comes new gamers who have to discover for themselves what they like and even people who have been gaming for years still like to try something out and see what happens, even if they played a similar game decades ago. Differences now is that we have awesome places like NeoGaf to express what we feel about the games we play, positive or negative.

Saw this the other day for £15 and heard the GAF praises in the back of my mind ignored them and got Quantum Break, thanks OP loving QB.
So you chose a stereotypical hyper-linear, super serious movie setpiece game over a FPS that goes out of its way to be everything but that. Irony.

KORNdoggy

I agree OP. I played on the hardest difficulty avaliable and found it painfully repetative and boring. I had to play in 30 minute-1 hour stints. It just didn't hold up well over anything longer because you get super aware of the tedious gameplay loops.

Thankfully i got it for £20 so not a huge loss.

SomTervo

But these arenas are absolutely phenomenal when you're being pressured from every conceivable angle by hyper mobile enemies with a wide variety of attacks. They stop being "oh another arena" and become "how can i use that part and this platform and this room to avoid enemies who can kill me in moments? Where are the power ups? Where's the best position to use each weapon in my arsenal?"

Again, difficulty level seems to be the make or break here. In these arenas (esp by the end) i knew I'd die in literal seconds if i didn't play well and it was super thrilling 90% of the time.

Raptomex

I disagree.

Having even more choices now then before is better for the consumer, who can find a out for themselves by trying out games to see what they do or don't like. Years ago I played DOOM and it did nothing for me, I moved onto different games until I discovered the right games for me.

This industry is growing every year and with that comes new gamers who have to discover for themselves what they like and even people who have been gaming for years still like to try something out and see what happens, even if they played a similar decades ago. Differences now is that we have awesome places like NeoGaf to express what we feel about the games we play, positive or negative.
There's a good point in the argument about taking things for granted. Yes, as a kid we could only play what we owned, unless we somehow managed to obtain new games all the time, but even still, in 1994, what other games were around like Doom? Like Doom. Besides Wolf 3D, options were pretty limited. Maybe "take for granted" is bad wording but with more choices now it's easy to find something you like and don't like but back then it's not like we had thousands of FPS games. Whether you like Doom or not, it and even it's successors like Quake, did things that were just revolutionary or that nobody had seen before. And until more games like that came around, it's what we had.

King Kye

Banned
Nothing is undeniably good. How we enjoy our favorite video games is not going to be the same for everyone, doesn't matter who's the majority either. At the end of the day games are like any product, their open to be celebrated and criticized.

No, DOOM is undeniably good. Context matters here and I'm constricting the domain of this discussion to video games. We're not debating philosophical value systems and doing a death spiral into a semantic septic tank.

The game has a defined gameplay loop that it aims for and it hits its mark. DOOM is of undeniably high quality in terms of its overall production. It's an undeniably well put together video game product.

Its quality is of no value to you, personally. That's fine. It being of quality doesn't mean its above criticism and no one has suggested as much.

I disagree.

This industry is growing every year and with that comes new gamers who have to discover for themselves what they like and even people who have been gaming for years still like to try something out and see what happens, even if they played a similar game decades ago. Differences now is that we have awesome places like NeoGaf to express what we feel about the games we play, positive or negative.

Nothing I said implies having more choices is bad for the consumer. There's pros and cons to stagnation in markets and there's pro and cons to growth.

ReaperXL7

It was only a matter of time before Gaf began to turn on Doom. In another month or two the hate will consume and it will be viewed as the gutter trash that somehow won a number of solid GOTY nods for 2016

War never changes.

Hoo-doo

Banned
No, DOOM is undeniably good. Context matters here and I'm constricting the domain of this discussion to video games. We're not debating philosophical value systems and doing a death spiral into a semantic septic tank.

The game has a defined gameplay loop that it aims for and it hits its mark. DOOM is of undeniably high quality in terms of its overall production. It's an undeniably well put together video game product.

Its quality is of no value to you, personally. That's fine. It being of quality doesn't mean its above criticism and no one has suggested as much.

What defines quality in the gaming space is still entirely subjective. Sorry bub. But nothing is undeniably good.

AudioEppa

There's a good point in the argument about taking things for granted. Yes, as a kid we could only play what we owned, unless we somehow managed to obtain new games all the time, but even still, in 1994, what other games were around like Doom? Like Doom. Besides Wolf 3D, options were pretty limited. Maybe "take for granted" is bad wording but with more choices now it's easy to find something you like and don't like but back then it's not like we had thousands of FPS games. Whether you like Doom or not, it and even it's successors like Quake, did things that were just revolutionary or that nobody had seen before. And until more games like that came around, it's what we had.

It really comes down to how we responded to certain games back then.

I fully understood the impact of games like Doom had on industry much years later, but at the time I looked at it as just another game that must have been one of many like it. I wasn't that super in the know like I am now lol

I personally didn't see a game as revolutionary until MGS hit the market on PS1.

Top Bottom