• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Gattaca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawg

I have to thank several members of RealGAF 2014 for showing me the light and telling me I should really watch this.

I'm a pretty big sci-fi fan and the many positive comments in that thread made me pretty hyped for a movie that is nearly 17 years old. I didn't know anything about this movie except for the synopsis I read about a genetically inferior man who assumes the identity of a superior man.

I ended up being instantly hooked to the movie. I think it is because of the music. A soundtrack with a mysterious sort of vibe and a small touch of sadness. It sucked me in the moment it started. Ethan Hawke's character(s?) pulled me in as well. I loved the swim part with his brother, especially because it's used several times in the movie and we get to see the evolution of both him and his brother.

I also liked the fact that the age of this movie is hardly a problem. It could have been made today if it had slightly better visuals. Good stuff. Really enjoyed Jude Law as well, he played the sad character really well. As for the sci-fi stuff... there's actually little futuristic tech in here compared to other movies in the genre. Less is more, I guess, because this movie captured the sci-fi feeling perfectly without overdoing anything.

As for the ending:

I was really surprised the cop was his brother and I did not see that coming at all. Maybe I should have? Looking back at certain scenes, there was plenty of foreshadowing. Loved the final swim scene. And yeah, the doctor knowing he is the invalid and still letting him go was a very emotional scene. Same for Jude Law crawling into the oven thingy and Ethan opening the letter. Perfect usage of that great soundtrack as well. Powerful ending

Great movie and I am very glad I watched it.

They used to say that a user posting in Real Pic January has a greater chance of happiness. They don't say that anymore.

For someone who was never meant for RealGAF, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every post is part of NeoGAF. Maybe I'm not leaving, maybe I'm going home.

Kvik

Best Sci-Fi film of 1997.

G A T T A C A are also the letters used in genome sequences.

Does anyone know if the Blu Ray IQ for this film is any good? I only have the DVD version

It really is a masterclass in how to make your movie age well. The only thing I noticed on my last rewatch was the old computers. Flatscreens and flashier keyboards really seem to have blindsided a lot of people in the past. It's not until the early 2000's that movies start integrating that stuff. The fashion in the movie is not 90's, but it's not really any time in particular. Everybody has short, practical haircuts, everybody wears professional attire most of the time, there isn't any crazy future stuff. It very much reminds me of the design that would later go into Inception's near-future world. It's a minimalistic and safe approach to worldbuilding, perhaps, but it allows people even 15 years later to look at the movie and almost never notice things being out of place in a near-future setting.

As far as the SF aspects go, the only unrealistic thing is probably the speed of the genetic tests and how extreme some of the bigotry and trust in genes got. Even the most ardent proponent of nature over nurture would concede that it's quite common for the expression of genes to be influenced by developmental factors, and that therefore even if somebody was genetically perfect they would still want to perform practical tests and interviews to make sure everything is functioning ok. But the movie has a clear message and I can overlook some of the parts that they went too far with because it's so great otherwise.

For someone who was never meant for RealGAF, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every post is part of NeoGAF. Maybe I'm not leaving, maybe I'm going home.

tcxapdhlouf3.gif

Ataraxia

I'm a pretty big sci-fi fan and the many positive comments in that thread made me pretty hyped for a movie that is nearly 17 years old.

It's only two years older than The Matrix. A lot of good sci-fi came out in the late 90s and hold up well compared to today's technology. Dark City, eXistenz, Contact and The Fifth Element are a few that come to mind. Don't be discouraged to see a sci-fi film just because it's from the 90s.

It's only two years older than The Matrix. A lot of good sci-fi came out in the late 90s and hold up well compared to today's technology. Dark City, eXistenz, Contact and The Fifth Element are a few that come to mind. Don't be discouraged to see a sci-fi film just because it's from the 90s.

The Fifth Element is fun but watching it on BluRay made me want to hurl at some of the effects. Even the practical stuff looked terrible in some places. The Matrix has some dodgy CG stuff when you look too closely at it these days too. Looks much better than a lot of 90s stuff tho.

Dawg

Oh, I know. I kinda meant it as "still getting hyped for something that has been watchable for nearly 17 years" since most people have already seen it etc

If that makes any sense :p

Dawg

It really is a masterclass in how to make your movie age well. The only thing I noticed on my last rewatch was the old computers. Flatscreens and flashier keyboards really seem to have blindsided a lot of people in the past. It's not until the early 2000's that movies start integrating that stuff. The fashion in the movie is not 90's, but it's not really any time in particular. Everybody has short, practical haircuts, everybody wears professional attire most of the time, there isn't any crazy future stuff. It very much reminds me of the design that would later go into Inception's near-future world. It's a minimalistic and safe approach to worldbuilding, perhaps, but it allows people even 15 years later to look at the movie and almost never notice things being out of place in a near-future setting.

As far as the SF aspects go, the only unrealistic thing is probably the speed of the genetic tests and how extreme some of the bigotry and trust in genes got. Even the most ardent proponent of nature over nurture would concede that it's quite common for the expression of genes to be influenced by developmental factors, and that therefore even if somebody was genetically perfect they would still want to perform practical tests and interviews to make sure everything is functioning ok. But the movie has a clear message and I can overlook some of the parts that they went too far with because it's so great otherwise.

tcxapdhlouf3.gif

I couldn't agree more.

Please tell me what to watch next :(

I couldn't agree more.

Please tell me what to watch next :(

Depends what kind of film you're after. You mention you've seen Lord of War, that's the only other movie by this director that I really like. So I'll just recommend some generally fantastic films, in alphabetical order:

A Bridge Too Far
[War]
Casablanca [Drama / War]
Come and See (aka Иди и смотри) [Psychological Horror / War]
Falling Down [Drama]
Leon: The Professional [Thriller / Drama]
The Lives of Others (aka Das Leben Der Anderen) [Drama]
No Country For Old Men [Thriller / Chase]
The Princess Bride [Adventure]
The Silence of the Lambs [Crime / Horror]
The Shawshank Redemption [Drama]
Sneakers [Heist / Caper story]
The Thing [Horror / SciFi]
Twelve Monkeys [SciFi]
The Usual Suspects [Crime]

You could also watch the original French short film that inspired Twelve Monkeys, which is arguably superior (but they're both really good). It's called "La Jetée".

Wazzy

Banned
Gattaca is such a great movie. Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawkes best work IMO.

Also, I'll repeat, change your avatar back to Arcanine/doge. :mad:

Dawg

When I think about how good this movie is it makes me angry how bad In Time was.

:(

Gattaca was his first movie I see. He'll probably never beat it, although Lord of War is really something special. I think his movies have an unique vibe to them, something mysterious. Even In Time had it, despite being a bad movie.

Gattaca is such a great movie. Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawkes best work IMO.

Also, I'll repeat, change your avatar back to Arcanine/doge. :mad:

I can't even change it because I'm not home and it's on my laptop! :p Hidden away in a super secret folder.

Wazzy

Banned
:(

Gattaca was his first movie I see. He'll probably never beat it, although Lord of War is really something special. I think his movies have an unique vibe to them, something mysterious. Even In Time had it, despite being a bad movie.

I can't even change it because I'm not home and it's on my laptop! :p Hidden away in a super secret folder.

I need you to go home now then.

But seriously, I await the return of your glorious doge avatar.

It will be considered a classic over time. Much like Blade Runner eventually became.

I think it's a little different because Gattaca was always recognized as a really good movie, whereas Blade Runner was initially more mixed. The 91% for BR you see on RT isn't really indicative of the critical consensus at the time. They both bombed commercially though.

Every time I re-watch Gattaca, I get a new jolt of motivation and inspiration.

And I could really use that right about now, so I think I'm gonna give it a watch tonight.

Gracias, GAF!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Fucking love this movie to death. Great film and one of the best OST ever. I listen to it daily, perfect for morning and evening commute on the train. Swimming scene was just perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom