• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Gattaca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nugg

17 years. It's older than Bladerunner was when Gattaca came out.

Holy fucking shit. I'm so old.

Edit:
and yeah. The doctor knew all along. "I never did tell you about my son, did I? He's a big fan of yours" is the giveaway. He starts telling him about his son before the urine test.

Paganmoon

Edit:
and yeah. The doctor knew all along. "I never did tell you about my son, did I? He's a big fan of yours" is the giveaway. He starts telling him about his son before the urine test.

That part made me think of Vincent
as such an asshole, never asking him. In a way he was just as self-centered as everyone else.

Its logic may be sound but it's inclusion is totally unnecessary and far too preachy and blunt. I'm glad it was cut. The movie already does a great job of showing the flaws of this society and its misguided mindset. Each character is a clear example of the negative effects such a society would have on people and does a great job of showing it without forcing it on the viewer.

I totally agree and I must add Gattaca to my Blu-ray connection soon, but for someone who sees the movie for the first and then discovers this other ending, it's like "wow!" - I really hadn't fully appreciated the implications if genetic screening were the norm (I for one would be "toast" - have mild form of Autism (perhaps Asperger's Syndrome)...).

Talking of momorable cut scenes, I reckon cutting that exquisite bedroom scene from Tron was a travesty and although it might have slowed the pace of the movie for a brief moment, it would have been so worth it.

Dawg

I think the doctor knew all along.

Great movie, it does make me feel old all the people who saw it in biology class. This only means the movie is old enough to have inspired a young person to later show it to his or her class after becoming a teacher.

Edit:

as such an asshole, never asking him. In a way he was just as self-centered as everyone else.

You know, I was thinking the same thing but I wasn't sure. I also thought the boss of the company knew as well. At one point I even thought he only told the detectives he was the murderer so they would get off Vincents back.

Great film
Great story
Great performances
Great first date movie.

It lets the ladies know you are sophisticated, philosophical, and enjoy sci-fi. On top of that, women like to look at Ethan Hawk. It's managed to get me laid on a first date... on three separate occasions (women). #truthfact

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

I always figured they did that to show another aspect of Vincent maintaining his cover. Vincent is pretending to be a star, so he has to pretend to be as arrogant to match, which is his default crutch when it comes to dealing with situations where he may be found out (the blood test, the random traffic stop).

jasonng

Great film
Great story
Great performances
Great first date movie.

It lets the ladies know you are sophisticated, philosophical, and enjoy sci-fi. On top of that, women like to look at Ethan Hawk. It's managed to get me laid on a first date... on three separate occasions (women). #truthfact

I always believe movies are terrible for first dates but this movie is definitely an exception. Gaf is going to make me watch this movie again but I don't want to go through the feels.

Paganmoon

You know, I was thinking the same thing but I wasn't sure.

I always figured they did that to show another aspect of Vincent maintaining his cover. Vincent is pretending to be a star, so he has to pretend to be as arrogant to match, which is his default crutch when it comes to dealing with situations where he may be found out (the blood test, the random traffic stop).

Yes, but the thing is, when the doc
finally does tell him about his son, he seems so uninterested still, he's not even listening, he's been found out, but he's still arrogant, shouldn't the cover drop? anyway, bit nit-picky maybe, but that scene always stands out for me, in every viewing.
Now this doesn't make the movie in any way worse, it just makes me think of Vincent differently.

Not sure if I need to spoiler-tag a 17 year old movie, but I'd rather not take risks at spoiling anyone of this masterpiece :)

Dawg

Yes, but the thing is, when the doc
finally does tell him about his son, he seems so uninterested still, he's not even listening, he's been found out, but he's still arrogant, shouldn't the cover drop? anyway, bit nit-picky maybe, but that scene always stands out for me, in every viewing.
Now this doesn't make the movie in any way worse, it just makes me think of Vincent differently.

Not sure if I need to spoiler-tag a 17 year old movie, but I'd rather not take risks at spoiling anyone of this masterpiece :)

I just thought
Vincent wasn't being arrogant on purpose. He was just stressed out because he knew the test would list him as an invalid. He probably didn't even hear the doctor telling his story because he even told him "just remember...that I was as good as any...and better than most" hoping he'd get a pass. What he didn't know is that the doctor already knew he was an invalid because he seemed pretty surprised and humble afterwards.

Paganmoon

I just thought
Vincent wasn't being arrogant on purpose. He was just stressed out because he knew the test would list him as an invalid. He probably didn't even hear the doctor telling his story because he even told him "just remember...that I was as good as any...and better than most" hoping he'd get a pass. What he didn't know is that the doctor already knew he was an invalid because he seemed pretty surprised and humble afterwards.

But as I recall
he doesn't even say thank you.
Though, just checking the ending scene on youtube
he does have a moment, were his expression does seem appreciative.
Damn, though, still gives me goosebumps watching it. Going to have to pop in the Blu-ray again tonight.

mantidor

But as I recall
he doesn't even say thank you.
Though, just checking the ending scene on youtube
he does have a moment, were his expression does seem appreciative.
Damn, though, still gives me goosebumps watching it. Going to have to pop in the Blu-ray again tonight.

It's not just a moment, he's completely flabbergasted and out of words, because Vincent was sure the doctor didn't know, his expression was of someone who wanted to jump and hug the doctor out of sheer gratefulness, but of course, he couldn't.

I've never been that much of a fan of Hawke as an actor but he completely delivers that scene. He wasn't arrogant at all there.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Thought I'd share this here now that I think of it, a Dutch prog rock artist made an album full of songs based around sci-fi movies.

Here is his Gattaca track Closer to the Stars.

KaoticBlaze

Rafi%2BBaby%2BFist%2BGattaca.png

iJzr5T3eTeUSz.gif

Paganmoon

It's not just a moment, he's completely flabbergasted and out of words, because Vincent was sure the doctor didn't know, his expression was of someone who wanted to jump and hug the doctor out of sheer gratefulness, but of course, he couldn't.

I've never been that much of a fan of Hawke as an actor but he completely delivers that scene. He wasn't arrogant at all there.

You are of course, absolutely correct, seeing the scene again, with that in mind I can totally see it, I think I always got hung up on the earlier part
when he's not paying attention to the doc's story about his kid, that I sort of wrote of the rest.
. But yeah, you are correct. :)

Eh, Kaotic? wtf is that?

KaoticBlaze

You are of course, absolutely correct, seeing the scene again, with that in mind I can totally see it, I think I always got hung up on the earlier part
when he's not paying attention to the doc's story about his kid, that I sort of wrote of the rest.
. But yeah, you are correct. :)

Eh, Kaotic? wtf is that?

lmao its from the tv show The League. That one guy is Rafi. He always says and does something really random and funny then yells out "GATTACA".

CrankyJay

Banned
I absolutely love this movie.

If you're looking for another sci if, but not nearly as good as this, but still enjoyable check out The Thirteenth Floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom