• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: God of War: Ascension

jayu26

Obviously this was going to happen after this month's IGC.

I like God of War series, I have played all of them except for the mobile game. I really liked the story of the first GOW, which I thought was classic simplistic Greek tragedy that used flashback narration very effectively. I also don't have problem with Kratos like lot of folks on this forum do. I don't think that he is a complex or even a well written character, but I do think that he fits very well with other Greek Mythological characters. The obnoxious "screaming" that everyone complains about Kratos is only vexing in GOW3 (and some what in the GOW2). I think the bigger offence are the dreadful dialogues in these games. In fact, Kratos barely screams in Ascension, but you will want to plug your ears regardless because of the horrid dialogues. Obviously this is my feelings on the matter and you guys feel free to tell me how wrong I am.

I am late to Ascension party partly because everyone was kind of down on it and partly because I thought that they will remaster it along with GOW3. Having played it, I think it is a very good game that is flawed and has no reason to exist other then Sony had assets and engine laying around. I did get to try multiplayer when it launched and I thought it was interesting thing they were trying to do. Perhaps they should have focused on a $30 or free to play multiplayer package rather than going for full fledged GOW product.

The Bad:

Camera. I cannot believe I am even saying this about a GOW game which has always been put up as the shining example of fixed camera done right. The fixed camera is still better than most games that have fixed camera, but the angles during the fights are sometimes annoying. I had to lose the multiplier several times because I could not see Kratos behind group of enemies. My only solution in those situations was to roll out from the middle of circle and try to put some distance between Kratos and enemies. In earlier games this was often mitigated by placing camera little higher, so that Kratos was always visible. I did not have the problem seeing Kratos when camera pulled far for a wider shot. I know this was a common complaint in the OT.

Dialogues. All the dialogues for Furies are very badly written. Please don't hire Jennifer Hale and give her those atrocious dialogues. While you are at it, give her more screen time.

Platforming. Kratos is not Nathan Drake.

The Good:

The scale. It's a motherfuck'en God of War game, why am I still surprised?

Pacing. I was never ecstatic while playing this game, but it never bored me either. Platforming and puzzles are simplistic but they are there to punctuate the action and they do it very effectively.

Graphics. Best looking PS3 game behind Uncharted 3 and God of War 3.

If you liked other God of War, you will probably enjoy this. Also, because it has to be done:

1>2>GoS>3>Ascension>>>>CoO

I would like to mention that I really enjoyed the Trials of Archimedes level. While I did not die once, partly because Kratos at that point in my game was maxed out, I thought it was intense. I know that it was nerfed post launch but I would like to know by how much. I want to know why it gave Sessler existential crisis.

Oddly enough this game has made me excited for next Cory Barlog directed God of War. There is note in Ascension which confirms that Pharaohs exists in this Universe and the pyramide hint dropped during Wil Wheaton probably means that Kataos is going to ancient Egypt. I for one cannot wait to fight Sphinx and turn it into stone with Medusa's head. SUN GOD RAAAAAA, I'M COMING FOR YOU....ahem.

pixelation

I loved it, it may even be my fave GoW game. And the graphics in Ascension beat GoW 3's... maybe not the set pieces though but technically speaking they sure do.

Qwyjibo

I'd like to have enough room on my PS3 to download it and try it but goddamnit I'm struggling. I feel like Gran Turismo 6 takes up half my 120gb.

I liked the game. It has a weak first half, but the second half I thought was great. The set pieces are amazing and I never understood the hate for the Trial of Archimedes. I beat it on my first try, pre-patch, and I'm most definitely not fantastic at games. Story is the weakest in the series though.

zoodoo

Man I loved 3. Played it multiple times. Cant believe you would rate that second last.

3 started so well with poseidon and to me the rest of the game never topped the intro. The scorpion boss was a pile of garbage and so buggy for me.

1 had a good balance of action, adventure and puzzle. It felt like an epic quest.
2 was action with little else.
3 felt more like 2 and a graphical showcase.
Ascension was never supposed to happen.

I would like to mention that I really enjoyed the Trials of Archimedes level. While I did not die once, partly because Kratos at that point in my game was maxed out, I thought it was intense. I know that it was nerfed post launch but I would like to know by how much. I want to know why it gave Sessler existential crisis.

In the original ToA you had to complete the entire Trial with one bar of health. You didn't get any extra. So if you took too much damage on the first level, then tough luck because you're screwed. So what they did was give you some health and magic back after every level you beat. How much they gave you depends on the difficulty setting you have it on.

lord_lad

Banned
Ascension is a good GOW...but pales in comparison to what came before it...especially in terms of the story and stake.

I mean, the 3 mainline games are upping the stakes each time (killing Ares in 1, toppling Olympus in 2 & 3) and even the portable games provided special insights on Kratos (CoO on showing Kratos softer side with his daughter, GoS on the reason why he is so pissed about the Olympian gods). Ascension provides zero new insight on the general plot and also Kratos as a character. Also, the Furies sisters, while fun to fight, isn't as memorable character wise. And the first boss of Ascension, aegean the hecatonchires, pales in comparison to the 1st bosses of the 3 mainline games (Hydra, Colossus, Poseidon).

I'm glad Ascension existed but am also baffled why it had to.

Going forward, here's my pitch of the inevitable God of War sequel

God of War 4 AKA God Of War: Redemption
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Setting: 10 years after GOW3 and the fall of Olympus where 'hope' is unleashed upon the world. Without the control of the Olympian gods, the world is in chaos, with wild beasts, magical creatures creating havok upon the world. Still, the people below struggled to rebuild after the catastrophe. The people of the world, now with 'hope' in their hearts, is definitely stronger than before.

Among this state of the world, a young man, the protagonist you play, goes on a path to find the supposed monster responsible for this world catastrophe. The monster is the supposedly ex-god of war, Kratos. And the young man is called...........Mars.

Gameplay: It will retain the gameplay of past GoW with the improvements from Ascension, in that you can 'free-grapple' and grab enemy weapons. Mars will find the Blade of Chaos/Exile early on and will be on a trail to find Kratos throughout, while using this weapon among others. The gameplay will be 'semi openworld', in that....you have 'dungeons' levels which are linear and plays like the tradition GoW levels and an overworld where you can traverse the different 'dungeons' in any order you preferred. If it sounded like Zelda, that's because it is :p Anyway, the QTE will be back but instead of the instant fail-state/repeat level when you fail a QTE like past GOW, it will be in a different state you have to play. For example, if you are sliding down a slope and you fail the 'jump QTE', instead of instant-death like past GoW, you went down a different path. This can add to replayability.

Game modes:
Chronicle Mode - The main single player story line mode

Ascension Mode - The multiplayer Arena MP mode. As redundant as Ascension single player story is, i am actually having fun with the MP mode as it gave me a powerstone vibe. I for one am hoping it can return in some form. Maybe playing as other Roman mythical characters (instead of Mars) trying to 'ascend' to tie it in to the main game story.

Mythologies Of the World Mode - An interactive slideshow/movie/cinema mode on the past GoW games. Since none of the past GoW games (except GoW3) are on PS4, it's definitely handy to have such a mode to clear things up for the new gen of gamers (especially Xbox ppl to jump on PS4).

What do you guys think of my pitch? :p

one thing that I always loved about the God of War series was the build up to a boss. Most games don't do this well but God of War always did. before fighting a boss it should be like a WWE pay-per-view. You should be anticipating it, there should be some backstory on why you want to beat the hell out of this guy. Ascension was poor in this regard. I got to the first boss and I remember thinking, who the hell is this guy. Why am I fighting him? The game kinda felt like that as a whole, why am I doing this. The platforming was unnecessary and the combat was good, but as many times as we've played God of war it was time for something new. That's why I'm hoping the new God of war has a new main weapon just as much as I hope we get a new protagonist, but a new weapon and deviation of the formula is sorely needed.

Plus another new director. There's a reason why the farther the franchise gets from its original team, the worst it gets. There's a reason why Nintendo franchises never die. They just don't hand the keys to any & everybody. you could see the leaves falling off the tree in 3 when Kratos became a caricature & the ending was terrible and made no sense was because it wasn't the original ending the ORIGINAL team made when they started the series. Ascension felt exactly how it was created, a bunch of parts put together to get a game out cause all God of war is to Sony is a game where u get mad and kill stuff. But that's Scale, combat and gore is not what made the series great. The combat was the tool. The scale depicted the odds you would overcome but the purpose of the adventure, the heart and the mythology is what makes God of war a great game.

Robot Pants

For me:
1>>>2>gos>3>>coo>>>>>>>>ascension

Ascension bored me to death
Also op its KRATOS not "kartos"

Dude no WAY is chains of Olympus better than ascension.
Ascension is great it just lacks a story. Like....there are barely even cutscenes driving you from place to place. It's a bit empty feeling, but aside from that it's waaaaay better than Chains of Olympus.

jayu26

Plus another new director. There's a reason why the farther the franchise gets from its original team, the worst it gets. There's a reason why Nintendo franchises never die. They just don't hand the keys to any & everybody. you could see the leaves falling off the tree in 3 when Kratos became a caricature & the ending was terrible and made no sense was because it wasn't the original ending the ORIGINAL team made when they started the series.
Well I guess it's a good thing Cory is director of the next one.
...my pitch? :p
My feelings on this is that if they want a dungeon crawler beat-em-up then they should make a new franchise. Let GOW be GOW.

In the original ToA you had to complete the entire Trial with one bar of health. You didn't get any extra. So if you took too much damage on the first level, then tough luck because you're screwed. So what they did was give you some health and magic back after every level you beat. How much they gave you depends on the difficulty setting you have it on.
Oh I see. In that case it might have taken couple of tries for me. Even in that case the player should be able to get a lot of the magic back by doing QET/Stylish kills. That was my strategy. I did not worry about losing mana because I was just one kill away from getting it back. Also upgrade and use the Oath Stone of Orkos and Amulet of Uroborus. Don't need mana for that.

After replaying them back to back, I feel it's better than GOWIII, and it certainly looks better too, both technically and artistically. GOWIII easily has the best boss battles in the series, and some of the best of all time imo, but the level design, and art direction are the series worst. Ascension could have been the best game in the entire series if they had focused solely on single player, though I understand that they were trying to change things up after eight years of the same formula. Fuck those stupid goatmen though, they were everywhere and really annoying to fight.

GOW > GOWII > GOW:A > GOWIII > GOW:GOS > GOW: COO

God of War IV is easily my most anticipated game so far (that we know exists) this generation.

Ascension wasn't as good as the God of War 1-3 as far as the story but it was still damn good overall. It still has the best combat In the series and The Trials of Archimedes was a pure adrenaline rush for me when I first went through it. I can't wait for the next one.

Someone already explained the nerfing. I'm just curious what difficulty you played on. If you played on anything below hard, it would be an easy sequence with the nerfing. Even on hard with the nerfing it's a good challenge. It took me MANY tries to complete playing on hard the first time through before it was patched. But I found that people's bitching about it was unreasonable, as it was a challenge in line with the Kratos clones in GOW, the Hallway to Clotho in GOWII, and the fire cerberus/satyr battle in GOWIII. Each game had one of those really hard moments shortly before the final boss battle and I'm sad that Santa Monica gave into the pressure.

jayu26

Someone already explained the nerfing. I'm just curious what difficulty you played on. If you played on anything below hard, it would be an easy sequence with the nerfing. Even on hard with the nerfing it's a good challenge. It took me MANY tries to complete playing on hard the first time through before it was patched. But I found that people's bitching about it was unreasonable, as it was a challenge in line with the Kratos clones in GOW, the Hallway to Clotho in GOWII, and the fire cerberus/satyr battle in GOWIII.
First time I always play on normal because I want to enjoy the spectacle. Subsequent play throughs I do on the hardest, or whatever they are calling it in Ascension. I would have not been able to make it without dying if I was on hard difficulty.

PaulBizkit

I love the god of war franchise, but i didn't play Ascension yet because i heard
a lot
that it was straight up bad.

However, since it's free this month for PS+ users, i downloaded it. I will play it today when i get back from work.

As of right now, my ranking is

gow2=gow1 > gow3=GoS >>> CoO

First time I always play on normal because I want to enjoy the spectacle. Subsequent play throughs I do on the hardest, or whatever they are calling it in Ascension. I would have been able to make it without dying if I was on hard difficulty.

Thats fine, I was just curious. I think people were even bitching about it on Normal though pre patch, which is laughable. To be honest though i think the equivalents of "very hard" in the GOW games are more tedious than fun. It was definitely a grind to do each of them, but not something I'll ever do again. The "hard" modes are the perfect challenge for me, especially the first time through.

AwRy108

Ascension's combat was, by far, the worst in the series. I rank the games on gameplay, so, for me:

GoW2 = GoW3 > GoW1 > CoO >>>>> GoS > Ascension

Ascension is the only game in the series that I haven't played through twice.

jayu26

I love the god of war franchise, but i didn't play Ascension yet because i heard
a lot
that it was straight up bad.

However, since it's free this month for PS+ users, i downloaded it. I will play it today when i get back from work.

As of right now, my ranking is

gow2=gow1 > gow3=GoS >>> CoO

Make sure it's all patched up, otherwise you are not playing it tonight.

Dude no WAY is chains of Olympus better than ascension.
Ascension is great it just lacks a story. Like....there are barely even cutscenes driving you from place to place. It's a bit empty feeling, but aside from that it's waaaaay better than Chains of Olympus.
Agreed. I never could get into the PSP games. They were good, but something about them just felt lacking to me. I know people love GoS, but it did nothing for me.
I don't understand what was so bad about this game. I liked it a lot.
My main issue was that it should have been a PS4 game and the story sucked.

Agreed. I never could get into the PSP games. They were good, but something about them just felt lacking to me. I know people love GoS, but it did nothing for me.

My main issue was that it should have been a PS4 game and the story sucked.

The PSP games were decent, but I don't feel GOW is a franchise that really works on handhelds. Ready at Dawn did a good job with what they were given though.

I'm playing through this right now and I absolutely hate the camera, the moving stages, and the zooming in and out of an arena

Like this kind of scale was novel in God of War III but here it's just way too much going on and I can't see shit.

Top Bottom