• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Katamari Damacy (And control issues)

Rydias

Just started playing this game. So far I haven't been too impressed...but then maybe I just had really high hopes because of all of the hype.

My biggest gripe is the control. It just doesn't feel intuitive to me. Anybody else? Is this something that grows on you?

This is all very similar to when I tried Kingdom Hearts. I played just a hair of it, was let down (presumably because of hype/high expectations) and control issues.

puck1337

Give it a little bit of time and it'll become second nature. That said, there are some times where the camera will go wonky on you, but they're pretty infrequent.

Well how long have you played it? Minutes? Hours?

It took me a good half hour to get over the learning curve, then I was owning it up like nothing else.

Rydias

I think I played it for about 15-20 minutes. Enough to get four stars into the sky.

I don't know, I can't really explain the controls and why they irk me so.

I think it's because I can't always seem to get the camera angle where I want it.

I will keep trying though. I like the concept and would like to see the game through. I will simply continue to hope that the controls grow on me.

Keep going. The controls are great once you get them. Really pretty deep too, when you get into the more advanced moves and techniques, which are really useful. I remember playing this for a week or so before I saw someone really good play, and that opened my eyes to how useful some of the other techniques can be.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
It's like driving a tank; it's intuitive. Note I said driving a tank, not "tank controls." Hell, my non-gamer sister (hasn't played anything since Sonic 3 and Knuckles) picked up on it in 15 minutes.

Phobophile said:
It's like driving a tank; it's intuitive. Note I said driving a tank, not "tank controls." Hell, my non-gamer sister (hasn't played anything since Sonic 3 and Knuckles) picked up on it in 15 minutes.

Watch out! Nintendo's after your sister!

Mikazuki

Army death height crane group location world
I think I played it for about 15-20 minutes. Enough to get four stars into the sky.

I don't know, I can't really explain the controls and why they irk me so.

I think it's because I can't always seem to get the camera angle where I want it.

That's probably why. Manipulating the camera while rolling the katamari takes some practice. Plus you'll tend to initially resist using the 180 degree camera switch, which is very useful. That's how it was for me.

Keep playing man. I didn't try out Katamari either until early this year and it's the best game I've played since Pikmin.

Koomaster

What's wrong with the camera? Admittedly it's been a few months since I picked up either Katamari game to play, but doesn't the camera always stay behind you? Shift one stick up and one stick back to turn 360degrees, camera always stays behind you. Push up both sticks to go the direction you want. Couldn't be simplier (not counting the advanced controls).

gblues

Banned
The sequel, We <3 Katamari, has noticably tighter and more forgiving controls than the original. Better game, too.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
MindCollizion said:
Watch out! Nintendo's after your sister!

She was completely enamored by the Wii when I took it home for Thanksgiving. She'll prolly wanna start playing Zelda over winter break.

Top Bottom