• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Mass Effect

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished ME1 last night. Great stuff!
I'd put around 40 hours into it, which felt like a very reasonable length.
Especially considering that I made an effort to do plenty of Assignments and explore as much as possible.
I've never played any Bioware games, and I don't usually make time for this sort of "epic" RPG, but I'm glad I finally did.

The "point of no return" was quite far back, which surprised me.
I was half-hoping to finish collecting some rare metals and stuff, but I think it's for the best that I didn't get too bogged down.
I already got a "Completionist" trophy a while back, so I'm content in thinking that any other side missions would have just been fluff.
(I actually refused to help one shady guy outside Flux when going to meet Anderson.
He annoyed me, plus ain't nobody got time for that. It felt really good just saying "No".)

I have to say, the game was juuuust beginning to grate by the end, but the ending itself made up for it.
It felt conclusive and satisfying, while still leaving room for things to pick up in the sequel.
The following is my account of the ending, so I don't recommend clicking unless you've finished ME1.

The chat with Vigil felt like a bit of an info dump.
It was a cool twist about the Citadel and the Keepers, but it could have been subtly hinted at throughout.
Maybe it was and I just didn't pay attention... Help me out if so?

I was expecting a big final showdown with Saren, so it was quite a shock when I found I could tell him to top himself!
And then, just as I was beginning to feel disappointed that we couldn't fight, he gets reanimated as some crazy Reaper disco star and we go to it.
Usually that kind of "Oh no he isn't!" schtick is dumb, but here it kinda worked.
(It was also during this last battle that I got a trophy for using Warp 75 times. Lucky!)

The sense of scale with Sovereign in the environment leading up to the last stand was great.
After that chunk had smashed into the tower, I seriously thought Shepard was dead.
That would have been a pretty bold ending, and I think I would have preferred to die an anti-hero, but hey.
At least we got to see her smile for once.

I was honestly pretty stumped by the last decision. I'd been a royal penis throughout almost the entire game, but there I was dilly-dallying about whether to save the council or not.
In the end, I couldn't "let them die", but decided that Sovereign had to be stopped at all costs.
The immediate fallout from that choice has made me even more determined to set things right in the sequel.
Suddenly, I'm not the bad guy anymore. This sniveling clown Udina shows his true colours, and I'm mad that he's muscling out the other races.
I think as a result, my choices will be more levelled in ME2. It'll be fun experimenting with a kind of humbled, considerate Shepard.

It's a great success that the game has given me a concience as well as a clear goal for the next game.
Not only to put a stop to the Reapers once and for all, but to put things right with humanity and earn the trust of other races again.
And if all else fails, at least I'll still have Tali and Garrus by my side. (Right, guys? RIGHT!?)

Suffice to say, I'm very much looking forward to diving straight into ME2. Got it ready to install tonight.
Before I do (and I'm sorry if this has been asked gajillions of times before), which DLC are must-haves?

On the store (not counting weapon/aesthetic packs), all I see are Arrival and Cerberus.
The trilogy came with the Cerberus pack, which seems to contain a bunch of superflous stuff, but I'll check it out because why not, eh?
Also, if I need to get DLC, can I get started and grab it later on? (Really hoping the answer is yes...)

Thanks again for reading!

P.S. Whatever happened to that autograph guy? I refused to sign and now 30 hours later, I feel a bit dickish about it.
Was sort of expecting (hoping) that decision would come back to haunt me, haha. Perhaps in part 2 or 3...?

Ralemont

not me
Shadow Broker is the only must have ME2 DLC. Overlord is really good too. Kasumi is a pretty cool character and her mission is fun, depending on price I'd recommend it.

Edit: You playing on ps3? If so then Overlord Broker and Kasumi come installed on disc already so aren't on the PSN.

Arrival is a not worth 10 bucks imo. I'd just YouTube the cutscenes as it leads into ME3.

foxtrot3d

Banned

I'm not going to spoiler tag my answers since you've already beaten the game.

Starting off, I'm actually surprised you find the Vigil bit a bit to "expositiony" I've always found it to be the most enjoyable part of the game. However, the Keeper twist is actually hinted at throughout the game alongside most of the other twists, you just have to pay attention. For instance, if you walk by the Mass Relay statue while on the Citadel your crew will comment on how they hear a humming sound and other little chatter that foreshadows it's more than just a statue.

As for your final decision, I won't spoil much of ME2 but I will say that they do somewhat retcon/diminish the effect of the Council choice. For instance, if you go full renegade Udinia suggests weaseling out the other species and taking complete control of the Council which you can agree to. However, in ME2 that does not happen and everyone seems to forget that you chose that option or that it was even suggested. But, that is not to say your choice won't have an impact in both ME2 and ME3. As for ME2 DLC you want all the story DLC. That basically amounts to "Zaeed: Price of Revenge" and "Kasumi: Stolen Memories" which add two further squadmates to the game and then you'll want "Project Overlord," "Lair of the Shadowbroker (the best DLC)," and finally "Arrival," which are full blown additional story missions. I'll just add that I don't know which weapon pack DLC contains the Mattock Assault Rifle but whichever one that is you should get that. Best. Gun. In. The. Series.

I gotta say I don't understand the hate "Renegade" Shepard gets, he's never truly evil. In fact, when I play ME I'm usually split pretty evenly between Renegade and Paragon. Renegade Shepard is just more mission oriented and is all about getting the job done no matter what, whereas Paragon Shepard is more about making deals.

Oh and OP, prepare to play the best game in the series. ME2 is the pinnacle of ME.

But then you'd have to relive the ending of ME3. That is something I would never wish upon anyone.

extremely vague spoiler pic.
tumblr_m0ygldbfBO1qhfutbo1_400.jpg

foxtrot3d

Banned
Haha. I remember exactly how pissed I was. Only game in the series I didn't immediately start a new game of after finishing.

Oh man, I was more than pissed. I felt just horrible, like I was violated somehow. It's weird that only a video game has ever made me feel such a negative emotion.

I gotta say I don't understand the hate "Renegade" Shepard gets, he's never truly evil. In fact, when I play ME I'm usually split pretty evenly between Renegade and Paragon. Renegade Shepard is just more mission oriented and is all about getting the job done no matter what, whereas Paragon Shepard is more about making deals.

Oh and OP, prepare to play the best game in the series. ME2 is the pinnacle of ME.

That's what the intention is. ME2 Shepard is more like a vicious rogue cannon who I would have to kind of question following if I was Jacob or Kaidan, but otherwise does alright. And in ME3 she/he varies between a flagrant asshole and an actual monster and
it doesn't even benefit you in the end, Paragon Shepard gets the best outcomes.

foxtrot3d

Banned
That's what the intention is. ME2 Shepard is more like a vicious rogue cannon who I would have to kind of question following if I was Jacob or Kaidan, but otherwise does alright. And in ME3 she/he varies between a flagrant asshole and an actual monster and
it doesn't even benefit you in the end, Paragon Shepard gets the best outcomes.

I dunno in ME3, (MASS EFFECT 3 SPOILERS)
Paragon and Renegade Shepard get the same ending outcomes so it made no difference. I liked the fact that in ME3 certain "optimal" outcomes could only be achieved through Renegade actions. For instance, the "optimal" outcome for fighting the Reapers in the Tuchanka arc is to get the Salarians and Krogan on fighting together. To do so you have to have killed Wrex on Virmire, destroyed Maelon's cure, and sabotaged the Genophage cure. By doing this Wreav ends up controlling the Krogan and is subsequently too dumb to figure out your treachery, and by destroying Maelon's cure Mordin has to start from scratch which kills Bakara, you can then convince Mordin not to sacrifice himself to make the cure right since he can see that Wreav is a destructive dude who has no checks. Thus, you get both the Krogans and the Salarians on your side with no immediate negative repercussions.

I dunno in ME3, (MASS EFFECT 3 SPOILERS)
Paragon and Renegade Shepard get the same ending outcomes so it made no difference. I liked the fact that in ME3 certain "optimal" outcomes could only be achieved through Renegade actions. For instance, the "optimal" outcome for fighting the Reapers in the Tuchanka arc is to get the Salarians and Krogan on fighting together. To do so you have to have killed Wrex on Virmire, destroyed Maelon's cure, and sabotaged the Genophage cure. By doing this Wreav ends up controlling the Krogan and is subsequently too dumb to figure out your treachery, and by destroying Maelon's cure Mordin has to start from scratch which kills Bakara, you can then convince Mordin not to sacrifice himself to make the cure right since he can see that Wreav is a destructive dude who has no checks. Thus, you get both the Krogans and the Salarians on your side with no immediate negative repercussions.

Not really.
You can cure the genophage to gain Krogan support, and the Salarians will later give you their support if you save their councilor. So you can have Wrex alive, Mordin alive, Eve alive (depending on a choice in ME2), support of both Krogan and Salarians. The complicated Renegade option MIGHT give more resources, I'm not sure. But Wrex is dead and the Krogan are screwed as well as saddled with an incompetent leader, so that's a pretty shitty outcome roleplaying-wise.

Dunan

I have the trilogy for PS3 in my backlog. Need to finally get to it.

Should I just have no expectations at all for ME3? Its reputation precedes it.

Was a disappointment then and has aged terribly on top. Witcher 1 was released the same year and blew it out of the water. Too bad nobody cared in 2007.

Was a disappointment then and has aged terribly on top. Witcher 1 was released the same year and blew it out of the water. Too bad nobody cared in 2007.

How do you even make that comparison? They have vastly different structures, to the point The Witcher is practically an adventure game. And the Witcher's combat has certainly not aged gracefully either. I'll take Mass Effect's clunky, unbalanced combat over that rhythm crap.

TheYanger

What. the witcher 1 was hot garbage. ME1 has some issues in not being a tight shooter and opting for more RPG mechanics, but witcher 1 actually just plays like complete shit so it doesn't exactly have that aspect going for it either.

That's honestly one of the most baffling opinions I've ever seen presented, not sure how anyone could feel that way beyond trying to be edgy and different.

OP - Overlord, Shadow Broker, Arrival is plot relevent but not as good as those two.

Also, ME1 spoilers only:
You don't HAVE to make Saren kill himself, so don't think "they don't let me fight him" - you just had enough persuasion to ignore the first fight. It's entirely possible to fight him twice

How do you even make that comparison? They have vastly different structures, to the point The Witcher is practically an adventure game. And the Witcher's combat has certainly not aged gracefully either. I'll take Mass Effect's clunky, unbalanced combat over that rhythm crap.

Vastly different? I found them eerily similar in their structure. Mass Effect was a turd compared to Witcher and I'm not exaggerating. Easily one of the worst disappointments for me in quite some time.

The Cerberus pack should have Zaeed, who is not only fun to have around, but is really useful in combat. Both Zaeed and Kasumi are great.

Glad you're enjoying it OP. I'll give my 2 cents as well.

I truly think ME1 is the best in the series. It is the only one in the series that has that special sense of wonder, and exploration. Around every corner there is something you just want to know more about, want to explore. Yes, mechanic-wise there is a lot to be improved (combat, mako) , but that sense of discovering all these new things is something I've never seen before. It is in my top 3 best games of all time. (completed 9 times)

Regarding ME2, Gameplay-wise it is very polished and smooth. However, there is a huge focus on characters and their story (which is cool). The overall story is very short though, and not as interesting as 1. So character development and gameplay is way better, but the locations and general story are lacking. Still top-notch game. (completed 3 times)

ME3. No matter what anyone says, this is a great game. However, you cannot talk about ME3 without mentioning the ending. It's that bad. In itself it's pretty bad, but it's the complete disconnection you feel as a player that is the worst part. Cut the last ten minutes out, and this is a contender for best game in the series. (Completed 1 time)

I don't wanna start this whole discussion again, but after 3's ending I uninstalled the game and never returned. I've seen the improved endings, which hardly make any difference. However, slowly but steadily my hype-level for Andromeda is rising. So much, that I recently picked up ME 3 again just to play the DLC's. So I have good hope for this series.

Last point is, get the DLC's. While the really small ones are ok, Lair of the Shadow Broker (ME2), Leviathan (ME3) and Citadel (ME3) are amongst the best DLC's ever made. Lair of the Shadow Broker itself is better than many complete RPG's I've played. So please do not ignore the DLC.

So much for my opinion. I hope you enjoy the others as much as the first one. I know I did.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for your recommendations, everyone.

OP - Overlord, Shadow Broker, Arrival is plot relevent but not as good as those two.

Also, ME1 spoilers only:
You don't HAVE to make Saren kill himself, so don't think "they don't let me fight him" - you just had enough persuasion to ignore the first fight. It's entirely possible to fight him twice

By the sound of it Overlord and Shadow Broker are included in the PS3 version, which is nice.
I don't see them on the PSN store. Only Arrival. I'll get that later if I feel the need for more story I suppose.
Is there no definite point in the game at which I need to have bought it? (Will it be obvious without spoilers?)

And yeah, I figured I didn't have to
make Saren kill himself.
I was shocked at the Renegade outcome in a good way :)

Nessus

Loved the atmosphere of 1, the aesthetic and the score, and slowly getting to know this new sci-fi universe,

but I hated the combat.

I found it incredibly frustrating for almost the entire game. Died way more times than I should have, often with unskippable cutscenes before each major battle that made it even more infuriating (like the early mission where you save Liara in the mines and the boss is a Krogan mercenary. Died at least 30 times on that one).

As someone who's not awful at action/third person shooter games, and has been playing RPGs for decades I was finally forced to turn the difficulty down to "casual" just to get through the game. I've been told I shouldn't have chosen the Soldier class, but that's bull; all the classes should be viable. Near the end I was finally leveled up enough that it wasn't too hard, but it the combat was never actually enjoyable.

Game also felt very rough, unpolished. Unskippable cutscenes aside, the score would abruptly cut or the music would just stop during cutscenes, as would character dialogue. I forced myself to finish the game because everyone said it got better.

Mass Effect 2, however, I loved the combat for the most part. It felt fair and weapons had weight to them. Loved the loyalty missions, etc. Great game, easily my favorite in the series with the exception of the silly last boss (that Contra III reject was not a Reaper).

royox

P.S. Whatever happened to that autograph guy? I refused to sign and now 30 hours later, I feel a bit dickish about it.
Was sort of expecting (hoping) that decision would come back to haunt me, haha. Perhaps in part 2 or 3...?

If you are a jerk to him I think you will find him in ME2.

If you sing the autograph and do NOTHING ELSE you will hear some idiot died trying to be a hero on the lifts news.

So...bein a Jerk to him actually saves his life :)

The chat with Vigil felt like a bit of an info dump.
It was a cool twist about the Citadel and the Keepers, but it could have been subtly hinted at throughout.

But it was. Remeber the Salarian that asks you to scan every Keeper of the citadel? If you complete that quest you would get a hint about it. For god's sake you even get hints about the reapers if you read some of the planets story.

o6D0TvV.jpg

Even some things that you are told during ME3 are hinted in some ME1 planets.

pd: HOW'S WREX IN YOUR GAME?

About that "Info Dump"

Vigil is part 2 of the big twist of the games, that sovereign and the reapers are sapient genocidal starships. Also the foreshadowing in this game is extremely heavy. These games are meant to be replayed but its not needed to take everything in. Almost everywhere you go, hints and clues are dropped both through the environments, the enemies and the conversations with people. Mass Effect rewards first time players immensely who explore the world. The lore is some of the best in modern sci fi. Appreciate Vigil while you can, the later games never quite reach that level of sci fi RPG bliss again

foxtrot3d

Banned
Not really.
You can cure the genophage to gain Krogan support, and the Salarians will later give you their support if you save their councilor. So you can have Wrex alive, Mordin alive, Eve alive (depending on a choice in ME2), support of both Krogan and Salarians. The complicated Renegade option MIGHT give more resources, I'm not sure. But Wrex is dead and the Krogan are screwed as well as saddled with an incompetent leader, so that's a pretty shitty outcome roleplaying-wise.

MASS EFFECT 3 SPOILERS

The Renegade option does give you the most points as being Paragon guarantees that the Salarians will not give their full support. As for the future of the Krogan, that's a personal opinion but at the end of the day beating the Reapers is more important than the political future of one race.

About that "Info Dump"

Vigil is part 2 of the big twist of the games, that sovereign and the reapers are sapient genocidal starships. Also the foreshadowing in this game is extremely heavy. These games are meant to be replayed but its not needed to take everything in. Almost everywhere you go, hints and clues are dropped both through the environments, the enemies and the conversations with people. Mass Effect rewards first time players immensely who explore the world. The lore is some of the best in modern sci fi. Appreciate Vigil while you can, the later games never quite reach that level of sci fi RPG bliss again

Truth. I'm actually amazed when I go back and play ME1 how much is foreshadowed in the game, nothing about the twist "comes out of nowhere" it's all heavily implied. Hell, just think to your conversation with the Rachni Queen early on. She states that the Rachni didn't want to fight the original Rachni Wars but were corrupted somehow, that their songs were changed"

"No. We... I do not know what happened in the war. We only heard discordance. Songs the color of oily shadows."

This obviously foreshadows the Reapers and the effects of Indoctrination.

By the sound of it Overlord and Shadow Broker are included in the PS3 version, which is nice.
I don't see them on the PSN store. Only Arrival. I'll get that later if I feel the need for more story I suppose.
Is there no definite point in the game at which I need to have bought it? (Will it be obvious without spoilers?)

make Saren kill himself.

Arrival is best played after you beat the main story of ME2. That is if you wish to purchase it and not simply watch it. Arrival isn't a great DLC because it focuses almost exclusively on shooting and there is basically zero choice, everything always plays out the same since it's setting up the plot of ME3. Thus, it plays like a linear shooter with cutscenes as opposed to an RPG.

TheYanger

make Saren kill himself.

What the poster above me said, Arrival is the first thing that soured me on ME as a series. It's relevant to the intro to 3, and it should be the last thing you do in 2, but you obviously don't NEED to play it since 3 still makes sense without it. Without any spoilers, it's more that 3 starts out in a very jarring and 'wait what?' kind of way if you don't play Arrival. Downside is Arrival isn't very fun, Shadow Broker, Overlord, and Kasumi are all actually FUN dlc (heck, overlord isn't relevant to anything at all yet its' still one of the best DLCs I've ever played).

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

If you sing the autograph and do NOTHING ELSE you will hear some idiot died trying to be a hero on the lifts news.

Hah, go figure. Guess I'll bump into him at some point then.
Already given that annoying interview lady from the first game something to think about.

But it was. Remeber the Salarian that asks you to scan every Keeper of the citadel? If you complete that quest you would get a hint about it. For god's sake you even get hints about the reapers if you read some of the planets story.

Even some things that you are told during ME3 are hinted in some ME1 planets.

pd: HOW'S WREX IN YOUR GAME?

I don't doubt that it was hinted.
Seeing as I did the Keeper quest, checked the Presidium "statue" and read quite a few planet descriptions, I'm putting it down to a lack of attention on my part.

Edit:
Oh, and Wrex is fine ;)
Quite happy leaving him to his devices, though.

About that "Info Dump"

I explored a bunch and took in as much as I could. I got some sense of foreshadowing, but obviously didn't catch on. I'm just saying the Vigil reveal felt like a lot of info to take in at once; not that I didn't enjoy (or understand) it. I definitely appreciate the sci-fi lore. Like I said, I'm not over-exposed to it, so it tends to leave an impression on me.

Truth. I'm actually amazed when I go back and play ME1 how much is foreshadowed in the game, nothing about the twist "comes out of nowhere" it's all heavily implied. Hell, just think to your conversation with the Rachni Queen early on. She states that the Rachni didn't want to fight the original Rachni Wars but were corrupted somehow, that their songs were changed"

"No. We... I do not know what happened in the war. We only heard discordance. Songs the color of oily shadows."

This obviously foreshadows the Reapers and the effects of Indoctrination.

That's a great point. I'd forgotten about that part, as it was in my more rebellious "just get it done" Shepard phase. I didn't make that connection, so thanks for pointing it out!

Arrival is best played after you beat the main story of ME2. That is if you wish to purchase it and not simply watch it. Arrival isn't a great DLC because it focuses almost exclusively on shooting and there is basically zero choice, everything always plays out the same since it's setting up the plot of ME3. Thus, it plays like a linear shooter with cutscenes as opposed to an RPG.

What the poster above me said, Arrival is the first thing that soured me on ME as a series. It's relevant to the intro to 3, and it should be the last thing you do in 2, but you obviously don't NEED to play it since 3 still makes sense without it. Without any spoilers, it's more that 3 starts out in a very jarring and 'wait what?' kind of way if you don't play Arrival. Downside is Arrival isn't very fun, Shadow Broker, Overlord, and Kasumi are all actually FUN dlc (heck, overlord isn't relevant to anything at all yet its' still one of the best DLCs I've ever played).

Gotcha. I'll be sure to grab Arrival at some point later on, or just watch it if I miss the point of no return. I'm glad the others come pre-packaged with the PSN version, though. Picking up Kasumi and doing her mission before anything else!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

I'm pretty sure Conrad never dies in ME1 and always show up in ME2. Being a nice guy to him in ME1 definitely won't get him killed. Unless there is some neutral option I never tried after many playthroughs.

All this ME1 talk lately reminds me that I really should play it again and get those missing achievements for beating a majority of the game with each crew member, I did start a renegade run on xbox one but the emulation currently has a ton of frame drops so i'm waiting it out to hopefully improve.

All this ME1 talk lately reminds me that I really should play it again and get those missing achievements for beating a majority of the game with each crew member, I did start a renegade run on xbox one but the emulation currently has a ton of frame drops so i'm waiting it out to hopefully improve.

I just want a ME Trilogy Remaster on either my Xbox One or PS4.

SpotAnime

One of my favorite series of all time, from any medium - including games, TV, movies, books, etc.

I remember gearing up for this. I am a huge fan of '70s and' '80s sci-fi and was sold the moment they said they were going for that vibe. The film grain especially, since the release of the game pre-dated the proliferation of Blu-ray to the mass market. Having an interactive, HD version of that was so compelling. And of course, coming from the Doctors (remember them?).

I even bought one of these to use during my playthrough, to add to the immersion: A Laser Stars star field projector:

https://youtu.be/zsWsu2S2SkA

I've listened to the soundtrack a thousand times. I never had any problem with the driving sequences, although during late nigbt gaming sessions I think I fell asleep during planet scanning more than I'd like to admit.

The first game was a better experience than any in the franchise, but the second game was just a better game, gameplay-wise. I still need to play the third.

I just want a ME Trilogy Remaster on either my Xbox One or PS4.

That's easy money. Although I think more likely is that EA will just make the previous trilogy backwards compatible on Xbox One.

I picked up the collection yesterday.
Why did I never play these before? been wanting to since around the time 2 came out.
Funny thing is Black Ops 3 is what pushed me to finally get it, BO3 was so disappointing I had a craving for a badass custom character and scifi setting(SW hype played into that as well).

1 feels like a combination of KOTOR, Halo and good bits of Destiny sprinkled in.
Making me dislike Destiny more than I already did thanks to showing me a new potential for it.

Just picked up Liara and am loving it so far, haven't felt this immersed in a long time.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I picked up the collection yesterday.
Why did I never play these before? been wanting to since around the time 2 came out.
Funny thing is Black Ops 3 is what pushed me to finally get it, BO3 was so disappointing I had a craving for a badass custom character and scifi setting(SW hype played into that as well).

1 feels like a combination of KOTOR, Halo and good bits of Destiny sprinkled in.
Making me dislike Destiny more than I already did thanks to showing me a new potential for it.

Just picked up Liara and am loving it so far, haven't felt this immersed in a long time.

Good for you! I really enjoyed my time with ME1, and so far digging the improvements and continuation in 2. Buuuut I kinda got sidetracked due to getting a PS4 ^^;

I'll go back to it and press on at some point, though. Definitely want to try and finish the trilogy before the next one comes out (even though I hear it's quite unrelated plot-wise). It's the kind of game that truly shines when you're really in the mood for it.

Picked up 1 & 2 in recent sales on PC, really enjoying it so far. Feels like a great evolution from KOTOR1 (my last Bioware game), the way you aim & shoot but it's still stats based. Lovely world, and appreciate the endeavour to transport the player into the wonder & magic of space exploration. I don't mind the combat at all, I've been getting better at it now with judicious exploiting of the tactical pause.

The UI is very clunky and a bit puzzling in places, and unskippable cutscenes is a personal bugbear, particularly when thoughtlessly placed in front of difficult combat encounters with no option to save in between. As another poster mentioned, the fight after rescuing the Asari girl was particularly egregious so far (I'm not much further on yet).

Contrary to a few posters, I like & look forward to combat, and rush through what feel like uninteresting dialogue events in order to progress 'The Fight'. Although I think maybe I'm only saying that because the section I've just done seemed like a bit of padding (getting the garage pass to progress on the ice / business world). I do enjoy making meaningful conversation choices. The upside to that section was some significantly better loot.

Is there any benefit to being especially (or rather, exclusively) paragon or renegade? My character is more ... flexible ...

And where the hell do people pick up millions of credits? I feel like such a pauper scrudging round for an extra hundred here or there.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
So, I said I'd go back to this, and I'm a man of my word.
Bumping my own thread for want of a better idea. These games are GREAT.

Seeing as the PS4 gets all the action at home, I recently moved the PS3 to the office in order to chip away at the backlog during lunch hours.
And I've gotta say, getting my daily sci-fi fix with ME2 has been a joy.
30-40 mins is the perfect single session time; means I can knock off a couple of side quests or one story quest and still have time to read a bit of Codex, mine planets, dabble in upgrades, socialise with the characters, etc.

And speaking of the characters, I just unlocked "Archangel"...
Progression/character spoilers for ME2 if you're not familiar:
Maybe I'm slow or missed something, but I had no idea it was Garrus.
When they first mentioned he was Turian, I had a little "...Nah, couldn't be" moment.
Seriously, what an amazing surprise! I haven't had that kind of fanboy geekout buzz in a long time. Just put a huge stupid grin on my face :]

His voice is amazing, too. So soothing and yet badass with that subtle distortion effect.

Suffice to say, Miranda is staying firmly on the ship from now on. She wasn't friendly and looked awkward in cutscenes, anyway.

So happy I have a real party going now with Archangel and Kasumi (although if a certain Quarian shows up then I'm sorry lady, but you're cut).

Going to grab the other crew members and press on. Still can't believe how easily I've been able to lose myself in this world, and how I've felt virtually zero fatigue jumping from 1 to 2. Fantastic stuff.

spekkeh

Banned
ME2 is such an amazing world to get lost in. It's the only game since my childhood (and still the only game since) that I genuinely didn't want to end.

Top Bottom