• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Dragons Dogma 2 be GOTY? Why?

I never played the first but a lot of people who played it say the first is the greatest game of all time and the second will be GOTY 2024. Why is this?

From an outside perspective it does look pretty good although I am curious about why it is considered "GOAT or GOTY" status. From what i've seen combat looks solid, strikes a fine balance between flashy kinetic anime action game stuff and grounded weighted dark souls style combat and it looks like the AI are competent with the pawn system. Lots of diverse classes, depending on playstyle. Choices in the world seem to matter. Itsuno(DMC lead dev) is working on it which automatically gives it my seal of approval. I will most likely be buying it.

Last edited:
Its acquired taste.

I dont like first part as much. Part 2 will be a sale game for me unless Capcom do something surprising.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Here is better question, does it matter? if the game I highly enjoyed doesn’t win GOTY in award show it doesn’t change how I feel about the game and if the game I don't care for wins GOTY still not going to make me wanna play it.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Haven't played the first one either, but it's really important to understand that it was a game that formed a cult following. Fans of games like that will often put it on a high pedestal online and it ends up with others buying into the hype for sequels, in name or spiritual. Sometimes it works out alright if the game is indeed solid, other times not so much.

Last edited:

killatopak

I feel like it will in some people’s eyes due to emergent gameplay. No two playthrough will be the same. It will offer diverse ways of adventure. I think the closest recent example is BG3.

Reactions: Isa
Here is better question, does it matter? if the game I highly enjoyed doesn’t win GOTY in award show it doesn’t change how I feel about the game and if the game I don't care for wins GOTY still not going to make wanna play it.
I dont think GOTY is the end all be all, just curious what about it garners so much praise.

Danjin44

I dont think GOTY is the end all be all, just curious what about it garners so much praise.
Easy its very unique take on action RPG, especially when it comes to its combat, there is nothing like Dragon Dogma out there….thats why it got cult following.

Same way Nier Gestalt got cult following because its unique way of story telling and changing camera shift during gameplay….They made Automata and entire Nier become pretty popular, which could same thing happen with Dragon Dogma 2.

Vick

I was extremely impressed at the time by just how godly the game feels to play. The visual feedback is impeccable, combat is perfect, every action feels responsive to perform and looks amazing and you do pretty crazy shit in the game.

The Witcher 3 is my favorite game of all time, but I really fucking wish it played a tenth as good as DG.

Art style and creature design is also impeccable in Dragon's Dogma, as is the realistic feel of the world. Those nights were frightening.

cormack12

Gold Member
Nope. With more people being told to get this, it will be under scrutiny and there were some really crappy things that look to have been brought into the second game too.

The action and impactful combat and techniques will be liked. A flawed game built round a great core. How far on the spectrum you decide to like it is how much of the bullshit will bother you.

I think it will live and die on two things. How well it onboards new players to bridge the gap of acquired knowledge compared to DD1 players. Second, on how much QoL enhancements they breathed into the game.

I don't see it beating out Rebirth, Hades 2, Persona, Ronin as well as all the wildcards too.

Danjin44

I don't see it beating out Rebirth, Hades 2, Persona, Ronin as well as all the wildcards too.
You never know, Nier Automata came in 2017 which in year both Nintendo and Sony had big games with more high tech graphics but despite all that not only Automata sold pretty damn well but also entire Nier series become popular.

Let me remind you Nier Gestalt sold pretty poorly and didn’t get good reviews…..never say never.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Anyway GOTY according to who? Your cat?
Maaaaaaybe?
giphy.gif

RoboFu

One of the green rats
If it's like the first then no it's not instantly accessible and there is no instant win button. But it's a great actual real rpg.

cormack12

Gold Member
You never know, Nier Automata came in 2017 which in year both Nintendo and Sony had big games with more high tech graphics but despite all that not only Automata sold pretty damn well but also entire Nier series become popular.

Let me remind you Nier Gestalt sold pretty poorly and didn’t get good reviews…..never say never.
Yeah that's fair comment. I just don't see it, because then you'd have to accept Black Myth could easily do the same etc

Shubh_C63

For me. The Immersion.
Restricting fast travel or save scumming among other previews I have seen feels they really want you knee deep in this world.

And everyone loves a medieval high fantasy action game. They just don't have to outright suck and they win a nomination for GOTY easy.

Last edited:

Dazraell

It definitely has potential to be one of the contenders, but I think it's a bit too early to make claims which game will be GOTY

Danjin44

Yeah that's fair comment. I just don't see it, because then you'd have to accept Black Myth could easily do the same etc
But Dragon Dogma’s situation similar to NieR because both original DD and NieR Gestalt got cult following despite not being mainstream success….Back Myth other hand entirely new game.

For me. The Immersion.
Restricting fast travel or save scumming among other previews I have seen feels they really want you knee deep in this world.
While these points make it infinitely appealing to me on paper, am afraid Capcom didn’t do enough in part 1 to make these appealing. Some games that do these aspects well:

In Elden Ring I dont use fast travel. Vistas are very interesting and I can keep killing monsters to gain experience.

In Minecraft, I can explore landscape while collecting resources to build next upgrade. Most survival games have great exploration, Grounded is one of my favourites due to level design.

In Dragons Dogma, they don’t give you option to avoid battles you are not prepared for. Just makes it annoying.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
DD2's problem is that its coming out at a time when there's so many similar titles. Honestly, coming out a month after FF7r and same day as Rise of the Ronin is less than ideal. Obviously this is only an issue for PS5 users, but my impression is that Playstation is where a lot of legacy interest in the franchise is at.

If I was in Capcom's shoes I'd strongly consider pushing it back a month or two, just for breathing room.

Hrk69

We'll see. Game isn't even out yet

Infinite Wealth is my GotY right now. It's so good, they really knocked it out of the park with this one

Last edited:

ungalo

If it's like the first then no it's not instantly accessible and there is no instant win button. But it's a great actual real rpg.
Honestly the first one is just one giant weird mess of ideas. I have a hard time understanding why it would be considered great despite its big qualities.

If DD2 fulfills the potential of the IP it could be, but it's not going to be easy.

ungalo

DD2's problem is that its coming out at a time when there's so many similar titles. Honestly, coming out a month after FF7r and same day as Rise of the Ronin is less than ideal. Obviously this is only an issue for PS5 users, but my impression is that Playstation is where a lot of legacy interest in the franchise is at.

If I was in Capcom's shoes I'd strongly consider pushing it back a month or two, just for breathing room.
The 3 games you mentioned are similar in a superficial way. Playing them will not have the same feeling for sure.

sigmaZ

No. Not because it isn't great or amazing, but I think it will be too niche compared to other offerings. There's no BG3 level releases this year, so I think a safe title will win like Rise of the Ronin or some PS5 exclusive.

Shut0wen

Only reason the first games good is you can be serirously overpowered god, wouldnt go as far as saying the first game is the greatest game of all time, imo only thing that makes the first game shit is the timed quests but its a great game with some really good classes

KàIRóS

I honestly don't understand the hate towards this game here, the hype train outside of GAF is actually huge, but anyway some reasons on why it will likely at least be a contender:

-It has no competition on PC and Xbox.

-Youtubers and Streamers are going to milk the shit of the game with content for their channels, the open ended nature of the gameplay allows it.

-DD1 has sold 8M so at least a third of those are coming back.

-The Devil May Cry 5 team are the developers, and they had a much bigger budget this time.

-It's the perfect mix of JRPG and WRPG.

-Gameplay is unlike any other Action RPG, people tend to compare it with Monster Hunter but the mechanics and the progression on both games are actually very different.

-We also don't know the extent of the online mechanics, DD1 only had the Pawn System, the online Ur Dragon battle and the post game boss, so maybe they have added more online interaction this time.

I think it will be a contender for sure, in fact I think it will be a similar story to what happend to Elden Ring in 2022, I remember many also understimated how Elden Ring would perform prior to release and with the exact same arguments "players wont like the mechanics" "last gen graphics" "performance issues" but we all know how that story ended, GOTY everywhere.

Freeman76

It could be mine, the first one was mental. I hope they still have pawns that was an excellent system. I dont know anything about this one as I stayed dark the whole way, but I expect some unique twists

Sentenza

Eh, maybe. We'll have to see how much it will improve over the first, which was already pretty fucking solid in some areas, but extremely flawed in few other.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Here is better question, does it matter?
The answer is it doesn't matter. About as much as Employee of the Month.

GOTY is a popularity contest nothing more.

If I had to choose it's probably going to be Relink. It's a gamer's game. Hits a lot of notes you don't see anymore.

But it's only February. Long road to December. Shouldn't even worry about GOTY until January 1st 2025.

BouncyFrag

The answer is it doesn't matter. About as much as Employee of the Month.

GOTY is a popularity contest nothing more.

If I had to choose it's probably going to be Relink. It's a gamer's game. Hits a lot of notes you don't see anymore.

But it's only February. Long road to December. Shouldn't even worry about GOTY until January 1st 2025.
Employee of the Month always matters. Always.

Last edited:
Top Bottom