• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Mega Man Zero series -- Oh my GBA nostalgia...

15%2B-%2B1

The GBA is now retro. Or at least, that's the feeling I was struck by when I first started playing Mega Man Zero.

I'm a decent Mega Man fan and have played many games across the different series, but for some reason I never touched the Zero games when they first came out -- maybe I was scared off by rumors of their difficulty. But now that I'm older I'm more brave, so I finally decided to give the series a try. Luckily, they're all easily playable on current gen hardware (Capcom made a no-frills Mega Man Zero Collection for DS, which is playable on 3DS).

Below are my thoughts after playing through the series, organized in a Q&A fashion.

What are the Mega Man Zero games?
Sidescrolling action platformers with a focus on boss battles. Very similar to the Mega Man X series. You have both a gun and a sword.

What did you like most about the Mega Man Zero games?
I love the whole atmosphere and art style. They've got this whole post-apocalyptic cyberpunk look to them which is super cool. Check out these backgrounds:

027.png

002.png

021.png

026.png

041.png

Compared to the art for the X series, which has kind of a generic anime look, the art for the Zero series has a more unique, softer, hand drawn look. I much prefer the Zero series here.

How do the games feel / control?
Really great. My enjoyment of a platformer hinges a lot of how much fun it is just to run and jump around, and the Zero games really deliver here. Movement is very fluid. Wall climb --> dash --> jump --> charge slash feels awesome.

Are the games as hard as they say? Is there really an insane difficulty?
Not really, and I don't understand why the games have this reputation. I can see how they are difficult if you're going for high rank (which is essentially just for bragging rights), but if your only goal is to reach the ending then you can use cyber elves -- power-ups improve your health, attack power, etc. at the cost of lower rank. Cyber elves can make you so overpowered that you can essentially just brute force bosses with no skill required at all.

Actually, for this reason the beginnings of the games can be the hardest parts, when you haven't collected many cyber elves. But once you get enough of them, the games can become incredibly easy if you choose.

I still think the games are hard. Any tips?
I wonder if the games are misunderstood. Here's what you should know:

• The games are not about quick reflexes or fast reaction times. They're about learning patterns. Boss attacks have set ways to avoid them, and you have to figure these out.
  • Spacing matters in boss battles. Some attacks are impossible to dodge depending on where you are (for example, if you're cornered). You have to figure out the optimal spacing for each boss.
  • Use and abuse charge slash when fighting bosses. Sword is basically all you need -- I don't recommend using the buster at all.
There's a story, right? Is it any good?
The games do have a story but it's pretty light. It's not the greatest story ever, but something I wasn't expecting is that the Zero series is an direct sequel to the X series. I think using that history makes the world and characters feel a lot richer, even though the actual story content is small.

Out of the four games in the series, which is the best? If I only wanted to play one, which should I choose?
Actually, it's hard to say. There isn't really one definitive game, and they all have their pros and cons. Here's a quick, subjective breakdown:
  • 1 has the best bosses but by far the worst levels (they're incredibly easy and really boring). It also has the most punishing game systems: lots of stuff is permanently missable, cyber elves cost tons of money, and there's no efficient way to farm lives (leading to a weird metagame where you have to save your lives on the early levels just so you'll have enough to tackle the final boss). Personally, I found the punishing game systems of 1 to be charming, and I like it for that reason. 1 also has a simple but focused and interesting story.
  • 2 has much better levels than 1 -- bigger, harder, more explorable, and just more interesting. But 2 is a bit of a letdown because it re-uses a lot of content from 1 (which will be a running theme in this series). 2 also has the least interesting story.
  • 3 is the most polished game in the series, which is manifested in a lot of little ways such as having a proper combo system. It also has the most fun equipment system. 3 is let down by significant reused content and not a great story. IMO the story actually kind of jumps the shark here and becomes a little unfocused.
  • They reigned in the story a little bit in 4. Other than that nothing really stands out about it.
Concluding thoughts
These really aren't the greatest games of all time thanks to some lackluster level design, heavily reused content, a light but also sometimes convoluted story, and a few questionably punishing design decisions. But they feel great to play, and the boss fights are fun, and I can't deny that I enjoyed my time playing through them. More than anything, I appreciate them for just how evocative they are of the era they came from: the quirky art design, the fact that they star a side character (Zero, instead of Mega Man), the fact that so many of these were churned out in such a short time, and even just the fact that it's a 2D action platformer -- all these things really remind me of the GBA era. An era when Japanese developers felt comfortable making so many smaller games with much less risk. The Zero games wouldn't be created in today's environment, and for that reason I treasure them.

lazygecko

I would probably say that the Zero series is the most consistently great in the franchise apart from classic MM. Having replayed the X series in recent years I found the sequels rather lukewarm compared to the super tight X1. I especially don't like the PS1 X games that I feel regressed too much in level design, so Zero compares especially favorable to those which are relatively contemporary in when they were released.

Also it's really striking how much the DS collection improves the sound quality. And it's not even like they remastered it or anything. It just goes to show how much the mixing/output on the GBA bottlenecked what the audio assets actually sounded like. Makes me wish more GBA games got the same treatment.

Skeletos311

I played the DS collection, but never beat the fourth one. I guess I got tired of it by then. I liked the first one the best overall. I think the second one was really good and probably the definitive entry in the series, but I liked the free roaming stuff from the first one better. I think the third and fourth games just went too far into the bullshit bosses territory.

Chuckie

Never played Mega Man Zero. I would love to though. I have a 3DS so it should be possible right? Is it available in Europe though?

Excellent series, my favorite part of the Mega Man franchise.
I first played the DS-exclusive mode that lets you experience a super easy version of all 4 games in a row and now I'm in the process of playing the GBA versions via the Wii U Virtual Console. I beat 1 without save states and I'm currently working on 2.

Some of the best 2D action patforming I've ever played. Inti Creates really did a great job, it's a shame what happened with Mighty No.9. Azure Striker Gunvolt is a neat spiritual successor to the Zero games but it's not nearly as good imo.

Also it's really striking how much the DS collection improves the sound quality. And it's not even like they remastered it or anything. It just goes to show how much the mixing/output on the GBA bottlenecked what the audio assets actually sounded like. Makes me wish more GBA games got the same treatment.

I wasn't aware that the DS collection improved the sound quality. That's really cool.

Crub

Wish they would re-relase these games on modern platforms. Tried to play it on GBA SP but found the graphics to be uncomfortably tiny.

Opa-Pa

Congrats on playing the best Mega Man series ever OP. I'll have to agree that it's pretty tricky to pick a favorite, but I think I'd go with 3 just because of how crazy the endgame is.

I'll have to revisit it sometime to check the level design, though, it's been a while. But regardless I'm of the thought that it's the most overall quality MM series out there. Damn, what I'd give to have games like these again...

Huh, I never got to play these on original hardware, so this is surprising. Interesting.

Intel_89

I see it for 30 euro. It seems worth it. Is it?
I've played all classic MMs (and loved the shit out of them) and I've played X1 (which I also loved)

I'll argue that Zero 1 isn't a very good game but that you should play it anyway (you can pick any game from the menu and the game doesn't force you to play every game in order to unlock the following one) but Zero 2 and 3 are top notch Mega Man experiences. They're much more similar to the X games than to classic mega man but yeah, 30€ for 4 games is a pretty great deal.

Servbot24

Banned
I'll argue that Zero 1 isn't a very good game but that you should play it anyway (you can pick any game from the menu and the game doesn't force you to play every game in order to unlock the following one) but Zero 2 and 3 are top notch Mega Man experiences. They're much more similar to the X games than to classic mega man but yeah, 30€ for 4 games is a pretty great deal.

Z1 is great. It's better than most MMX games. Z2 and Z3 are indeed better though.

The Zero series is a great piece of Mega Man history and lore. I feel it has the best story out of any of the Mega Man games, but they were not that in depth with story though either. The first game is alright but still worth playing. Two and Three are phenomenal games and I can argue it should have ended at three due to the climax. Four though a bit flawed is still a great send off for Zero. The music though compressed a bit due to the GBA, the collection adds some good updated tracks for the DS, is amazing. I have a couple of the Mega Man Zero music on CD and it is great to listen to. I feel that the Zero series was the last hurrah for Mega Man for quite a while, at least until Mega Man 9 and 10 came out. ZX and ZX advent are good games but the feeling from what I got from the Zero series just was not there.

phanphare

Banned
yeah those are some great games

GBA nostalgia is the best nostalgia. that thing was a damn beast and I don't think many people recognized it at the time because 3D gaming had taken the industry by storm.

Lt.Chips

Zero 3 is one of the best, if not the best, post-MMX1 Mega Man game out there.

And yeah, GBA nostalgia is awesome. In fact, I just bought a backlit SP (I always had an AGS-001 model) and started replaying various GBA games and it's great. MMZ, Fire Emblem series, even the NES classic Zelda II, so good.

Z1 is great. It's better than most MMX games. Z2 and Z3 are indeed better though.
It's great, it's just very different from the traditional Mega Man formula (which is good too).

Zero 1 definitely shows that Inti was trying something new and fun for them. Then by the time they started Zero 2, everything clicked, particularly how they handled the story.

Chuckie

I think I will buy it. Just to make sure....the DS collection is compatible with a Nintendo 3DS XL right?

Zero 3 is one of my favorite 2-D action games and my favorite megaman game tied with Megaman 9 and X2.

The sense of flow you can achieve with that game is simply second to none.

I think I will buy it. Just to make sure....the DS collection is compatible with a Nintendo 3DS XL right?

Yup, it is. Honestly, one of the great undersold features of the 3DS is that it also plays DS games. This gives the 3DS such a massive library.

Intel_89

Z1 isn't really that fresh in my memory because I only played through it once, I do remember that it had a painfully slow start but it eventually picked up. Still I'd rate it lower than any other Zero going off of my memories alone, I should probably give it another go to see how right/wrong I am.

Unfortunately I just found out the 3DS is region locked and the only MMZ I can find is US.

The 3DS is region locked for 3DS titles only. Which means that if you own an european 3DS (any mode, even 2DS) you can play DS games from any region.

Miker

The story jumped the shark with MMZ3? Crazy talk. The endgame of MMZ3 was hype as shit, especially with the final boss. It was such a perfect ending that MMZ4 felt completely extraneous despite being a fairly good game all around.

My ranking is MMZ3 > 2 > 1 = 4

MMZ3 is the complete package. MMZ2 is a close second, I just didn't really like the story that much. MMZ1 was rough around the edges and had some ideas like the free roam and failing missions that were really just fat trimmed for the sequels. I still love MMZ1 for its awesome premise and nailing the movement and combat mechanics from the start. MMZ4 is, again, extraneous from a story perspective but still plays really well because it's the final game in the series.

Also MMZ2 Departure is the best track in the series.

Miker

Real talk - going from MMZ to MMX feels like going from 60 to 30 fps. The movement is just so goddamn tight in MMZ.

The story jumped the shark with MMZ3? Crazy talk. The endgame of MMZ3 was hype as shit, especially with the final boss. It was such a perfect ending that MMZ4 felt completely extraneous despite being a fairly good game all around.

MMZ3 is the complete package. MMZ2 is a close second, I just didn't really like the story that much. MMZ1 was rough around the edges and had some ideas like the free roam and failing missions that were really just fat trimmed for the sequels. I still love MMZ1 for its awesome premise and nailing the movement and combat mechanics from the start. MMZ4 is, again, extraneous from a story perspective but still plays really well because it's the final game in the series.

I liked the ending of 3. It's the middle of the story that kind of lost me. Might be my fault though :p

Fun fact about 4 feeling extraneous:
inti creates originally intended the series to end with 3 but Capcom convinced them to make another one. They were so fed up though they they decided to kill Zero so they wouldn't have to make another. Unfortunately that didn't work out as ZX happened which features Zero's disembodied soul...

RRockman

Banned
The story jumped the shark with MMZ3? Crazy talk. The endgame of MMZ3 was hype as shit, especially with the final boss. It was so badass that MMZ4 felt completely extraneous despite being a fairly good game all around.

giphy.gif

Bruh, you know it. Z3 should have ended the series with
Weil dying in his creation's explosion instead of the X clones. Z4's plot felt like someone was chilling in the office after a job well done and they jump up after realizing that Zero was actually setup to get a good ending for once in his life and they simply could not let that stand. And thus he dies AGAIN. As is tradition I suppose.

snip

Well, that explains a LOT.

Miker

I liked the ending of 3. It's the middle of the story that kind of lost me. Might be my fault though :p

inti creates originally intended the series to end with 3 but Capcom convinced them to make another one. They were so fed up though they they decided to kill Zero so they wouldn't have to make another. Unfortunately that didn't work out as ZX happened which features Zero's disembodied soul...

Yeah, I know. It's not like MMZ4 is a bad game or sullies the series' name, it's just impossible to follow MMZ3.

Azure J

Zero 3 (and Zero 2 coming in nearly in tandem) is probably right there next to X1 & X4 for best of the extended Megaman franchise in my eyes. Such a thoroughly polished game. I know a bunch of people feel like it tones the difficulty down or provides too many options for the player to steamroll, but I just feel like level design, combat design (REALCOMBOS), and just the general experience were at their best here.

Zero 4 is also to this day mystifying to me in how the quality of audio and compositions were SO good for a GBA game.

I was also a huge sucker for the franchise's attempt at building lore upon the then stark Megaman series and a lot of the allusions and concepts were really really cool.
Wished to see Original X in a combat role and not elder robo-deity role at least once given that they said he finally got over the hump that was Zero in ability, and it would have been nice to see further story links to other prominent reploids up until that series' end but it's cool for what it is.

The art direction of the series is absolutely gorgeous though and I am once again reminded of how much I'm sad that the MMZ Official Complete Works books that were localized a few years back are now going for INSANE prices on Amazon. I wonder how one would go about triggering a reprint...

leroidys

Just started replaying these last week. Zero 3 is indeed the most polished, but it's let down by being ridiculously easy IMO. I actually like 1 for replays the most I think. Very tough, lots of depth, and the perfect length for a MM game you want to master. I also just have a soft spot for games with weird vestigial mechanics that get smoothed away in sequels.

Azure J

giphy.gif

Weil dying in his creation's explosion instead of the X clones. Z4's plot felt like someone was chilling in the office after a job well done and they jump up after realizing that Zero was actually setup to get a good ending for once in his life and they simply could not let that stand. And thus he dies AGAIN. As is tradition I suppose.

I honestly always found it strange how
Zero 3's endgame wasn't just a gigantic "you got fucked" for Weil given that dude basically lost his most potent win condition, the Guardians + the Resistance squad were finally on the same page re: Zero's legacy and current operations and they were seemingly ready to work on the same goal of bringing him into custody. The guardians getting unceremoniously tossed out only to then be footnoted as dead in the Omega explosion always made me sad, they were great and it'd have been nice to play a Zero series game with them after burying the hatchet and maybe policing Neo Arcadia as ya moved along.

TreIII

giphy.gif

Well, as the story goes, Zero 4 only happened because Capcom wanted another game in the series. Inti was already shifting gears towards what would be ZX on the DS, in the meanwhile.

And so, what was originally intended to be an open-ended story with Zero 3, ended up being a thing where their hands were forced and they basically said "ain't no way you can make us continue now!" with Zero 4's ending.

I am returning to the party on this series. Beat the original on the GBA as a kid. Picked up the DS collection years ago and got to the end of MMZ2 but never finished it and now I've returned to the DS collection to finish of this series.

This is my fav MM series. I love the feel to it and being able to explore the bases

Miker

MMZ2's boss fight vs.
copy X
and MMZ3's fight against
Omega Zero
are the closest 2D games have gotten to rival fights like Dante vs. Vergil and Bayo vs. Jeanne.

leroidys

Huh, MMZ1 and BoF Dragon Quarter were originally released in the same year. Hell of a year for dystopian future themed Capcom titles.

OmegaZero

My favorite Megaman series to this day!

I was pretty excited to discover that you could unlock
Omega Zero
as a playable character in Megaman ZX!

Reset

The Zero series is my favorite new series that was introduced on the GBA, oh and it has a great soundtrack too. Cannonball, Departure, Zero's Theme, etc. all great.

Oh and yeah Zero 3 is the best one the series. Zero 3 > Zero 4 > Zero > Zero 2

Servbot24

Banned
Zero 3 final boss sequence with the story twist is still rocking my world today

Hookshot is the main reason I have a hard time putting it over Z2 though. Z3's special weapon wasn't as cool.

Top Bottom