• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Metro Exodus (2019)

MacReady13

I tried playing exodus (on the 1X) but the controller lag is killing me. It’s about the only thing stopping me from continuing as I wanna see where the story goes.

Eiknarf

Damn, finished the game today. Very satisfying though I wish it had been longer, which is the mark of a great game. Definitely belongs on any reputable top ten of '19 list.
I’m a few hours in and very glad I bought it and didn’t listen to all the “the shooting is terrible” comments I’ve read over the last few months.
My wife watched me play a bit and said it “looked wonderful”. Hahaha Then she also asked me “Hey, Is there going to be nudity in this game!?!” (Because she happened to be watching when Artyom’s wife was laying down on his lap after I got the rail-car ). I got nervous that there might be nudity.

MacReady13

I’m a few hours in and very glad I bought it and didn’t listen to all the “the shooting is terrible” comments I’ve read over the last few months.
My wife watched me play a bit and said it “looked wonderful”. Hahaha Then she also asked me “Hey, Is there going to be nudity in this game!?!” (Because she happened to be watching when Artyom’s wife was laying down on his lap after I got the rail-car ). I got nervous that there might be nudity.
Why you nervous over nudity?

Eiknarf

Why you nervous over nudity?
Hahaha no no
Just would have been funny and odd if there was nudity the few minutes that my wife walked in to check out my new game.

But after my post I found out that the Last Light game had nudity - I played half of that on an old Xbox. - but there was an error with the console or disc and never finished.

Don’t know if Exodus has nudity

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished this. What an adventure! Got the bad ending, unfortunately, but I really enjoyed the journey. Incredible visuals, too. I think I might pick up the Two Colonels DLC now.

Eiknarf

Just finished this. What an adventure! Got the bad ending, unfortunately, but I really enjoyed the journey. Incredible visuals, too. I think I might pick up the Two Colonels DLC now.
“Bad ending”?

Wait! What do you mean?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Absolutely loved this game!
I actually think the bad ending is better and nothing would force me to play this game with super conservative stealth and non lethal mode (which is required for good ending).
I plan to replay it and murder everyone.
Didn't knew the DLC is out. need to check it out

Eiknarf

Absolutely loved this game!
I actually think the bad ending is better and nothing would force me to play this game with super conservative stealth and non lethal mode (which is required for good ending).
I plan to replay it and murder everyone.
Didn't knew the DLC is out. need to check it out
Oh wait
Is it BAD when you kill a thug after they surrender?
Do you get the good ending if you spare those who surrender?

Eiknarf

Jesus Christ! This Metro Exodus was great! It’s better than the first two! Yup, it is. I don’t understand why there’s any negativity connected to it

TheShocker

Game is great. Playing it right now actually. Just finished the Taiga level. Had no clue there was DLC but i will definitely check it out after the main story is over.

PocoJoe

Banned
Finished this yesterday, great experience.

Got good-bad ending I guess, I got all the things in the end scenes that should mean that I got the good ending, but didnt save enough guys i guess so it went to bad ending instead

Eiknarf

Finished this yesterday, great experience.

Got good-bad ending I guess, I got all the things in the end scenes that should mean that I got the good ending, but didnt save enough guys i guess so it went to bad ending instead
I’d rather the bad ending-
It’s not like there’s gonna be a Metro 4 and we need him to live
Besides, those feel-good rom-com endings where the couple “rides into the sunset” are cheesy as fuck

death beats a quiffy ending any day

TechJunk

What a slog. Just finished Exodus yesterday and I almost put it down at least five times. Only played it cause it was on Game Pass, but I hated it. Didn't like the other two either, not sure why I forced myself to play this one. Voice acting is horrible, character models are blocky and I just did not like the long levels that dragged on forever.

I didn’t even realize I got the “good ending.” I guess I did

when I eventually replay after upgrading my cpu or next-gen “remaster” I’ll go for bad

What a slog. Just finished Exodus yesterday and I almost put it down at least five times. Only played it cause it was on Game Pass, but I hated it. Didn't like the other two either, not sure why I forced myself to play this one. Voice acting is horrible, character models are blocky and I just did not like the long levels that dragged on forever.
Wow 👏! My thoughts exactly, about the whole series. 100% agree.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Blocky models?!

tassletine

I just started playing It. Graphics are great but the game feels outdated and the storytelling is awful. Consistantly badly acted and the characters talk over each other the entire time. Feels kind of like Skyrim I that regard — very hollow. The game also crashes regularly on my ps4pro and I’ve encountered loads of bugs. I don’t get the love for this beyond the general setting — which is admittedly quite interesting.

DonJorginho

Banned
I am glad you enjoyed this game, I personally hated it after loving the first two games, and not for the open sandbox design as I liked that a lot, it was just a lack of tension and pisspoor controls and performance, it just got really boring really fast, I am playing through Nier Automata and am loving life atm after trudging through 6 hours of Exodus.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I just started playing It. Graphics are great but the game feels outdated and the storytelling is awful. Consistantly badly acted and the characters talk over each other the entire time. Feels kind of like Skyrim I that regard — very hollow. The game also crashes regularly on my ps4pro and I’ve encountered loads of bugs. I don’t get the love for this beyond the general setting — which is admittedly quite interesting.
The acting and people talking over each other is very "naturalistic". The game sets to be immersive and so npc's do not behave like actors

Shai-Tan

Banned
The writing has always been terrible in the series but it made up for it with the kooky alien twist in the previous games, but not this one. I was watching The Witcher tv series recently soon after finishing the third game and it's amusing how much better a mediocre tv show is written than one of the better video games like The Witcher 3. And Metro makes the writing in The Witcher 3 seem like a masterpiece in comparison,

Fortunately the weakness in the writing is outweighed by the atmospheric environments. Even more so in the first dlc. I can't however judge the gunplay that much because I played most of the game at 35-40 fps (dipping into 20s sometimes) with RTX set to ultra on 4k. It would have been nice to have a keyboard shortcut to toggle dlss on and off

Last edited:
I was watching The Witcher tv series recently soon after finishing the third game and it's amusing how much better a mediocre tv show is written than one of the better video games like The Witcher 3.

Really? I thought the writing was better in The Witcher 3, and i don't think there's anything mediocre about the TV show. There are low points, high points and some questionable picks concerning actors, but i wouldn't call the show mediocre.

Reactions: Fbh

Eiknarf

I wonder if the “clunkiness” the naysayers are talking about wouldn’t be so bad if the game was in 3rd person?

Eiknarf

I just compared the character models from the first two games to Exodus, and, the first two games’ character models look very “last generation”.
The characters in Exodus look pretty great. So I’m confused by your statement

Now if you said the melee takedowns and grappling was an issue, I’d understand, because that’s always been a “thing” in First Person games. It doesn’t matter if it’s BioShock or Resident Evil 7 or Metro. There’s a natural flow in animation to melee attacks in Third Person that seems lacking in First Person.

Im pretty damn picky when it comes to games -

I had my PS4 for ten months.
I bought 37 games in that time.
I kept 22.
I sold 15 immediately without finishing because the gameplay annoyed me.

The fact that Metro Exodus didn’t annoy me - despite everything I have written above - must mean its pretty damn good. I can’t believe I held off buying this game because of the false negative reports

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I love the games, but I agree with you about the voice acting. I get why they went with the heavy Russian-accented English, but I always have hated that approach when it comes to conversations between characters that are ostensibly native speakers of the same language and instead come across as beginner ESL students who somehow have a huge vocabularies and great grammar. Makes it hard to take them seriously and have emotion conveyed effectively.

ruvikx

Banned
So why the hate for Exodus?

it got an 80average at Metacritic from pro reviewers but only a 68 average from people like us!

As someone who just started this (& I didn't like the first 2 because they were far too linear & scripted), I'm not exactly enthusiastic so far (I'm at the train level).

I'm currently using controller preset 2 in the sensitivity settings but the whole game feels so weird (i.e. unpredictable character movement where he is either as slow as a snail or jolting suddenly), very scripted (game takes away control from me whilst I'm still trying to move) & objectives are very poorly explained (meandering around on the train because I can't find an objective list in the menu, I didn't hear what the characters said due to their accents being quite thick & they also talk over each other). Another example of an annoyance: at the train station his wife sent him outside to reach an entrance using "stealth", I did exactly that until I alerted one guard, shot him dead & got inside the door... but the game just assumed I'd done it stealth & no one was alerted by the gun shot & screaming outside. I don't enjoy the time limit outside either (especially when I'm supposed to scavenge for resources).

I also have no idea what difficulty to play this game on. Normal seems to boring at the moment but I heard hardcore & ranger hardcore are frustrating (+ the time limit is reduced on the air filters). Someone tell me it gets better once the world opens up because as things stand, I'm heading for the quit.

ruvikx

Banned
Scratch the above comment.

I restarted on ranger hardcore difficulty & it plays like a survival horror (almost like a more open world Last of Us in first person). So far it's really, really good played like this (I just escaped the church). I love the absence of targeting reticule + the combat allows the player to re-enter stealth when the enemies have been alerted.

It just doesn't play like a first person shooter (far cry etc.) so coming from those types of games it just takes some acclimatization.

Armorian

Banned
I returned for the latest DLC and after gamepad tweaks this game is quite fun and looks great obviously. Flame bullets are overpowered as fuck against mutants

QcaF51rwK35BecTxDZbSCF0ag28T7rZEzl1AI4fACKwSg4LPskI8dOhQMMDAzrAvgGvxKvRsDqMp-U8LDh9pJc-Lnr6hQsCviPv0k2zdQeyB0J8UD1qnEREjmzRN9msii3Pb_qNOywJNd6AjTgch983-egLKHlv9x_gtpVkGG2tC7yKJAiwc7EJNRL5dWZn_hK8RwsyRhtbsdPC5QTsEGiyBLW87cpC7kIxTMO97i4fSp4FVkQY4M5RaKf361kfkLm-1aRkyOkoufE5Y6IJe88qblz_DHNePlLdg1Pxyy18FGbYguH--75q3JhwR3MH7Ij4_RhNghrgsNt6-rQA7iVHxhMR_Jd-sZx88zfuzHvUQ8l_xkAy18Mn6cOwOj5m17Z_ZXBoa-xgKqTRAkAPLvFtn1Hdy2VhoMMis5_dKVLEG5L4vRyfC-14K1AxCaqYDH6s2Dyn94E28U2oAQgodnsAAfwYfomzPe-qp5g8jiIv8_zkAKWXcSqWiEqPgq2SONQId5cgX7BvJHa4VkAIGnsT3XWIVVb8qKagW5f6GytnJTLR9JuTo7qRscKUsYAdlIqWg8Y5dNFHle91Yl_XV7DAmLU5hRWFDMNgfiGrijyvnnP5cfSPNgxZGYSh9pV3m1rkLVSYLCm6LmR4ArGHozHKzLKMIc2jHrryeddHrNyU3vJ71s2cQ4xJREGdEsQ=w1048-h442-no

Shai-Tan

Banned
I think I’m holding off the latest DLC until I get 3000 series Nvidia card because it runs pretty bad in 4k on 2080ti and I‘m too much of a RTX on max graphics whore to ever use DLSS outside of big fire fights. Maybe if they made it possible to toggle DLSS on and off with a keyboard shortcut.

Armorian

Banned
I think I’m holding off the latest DLC until I get 3000 series Nvidia card because it runs pretty bad in 4k on 2080ti and I‘m too much of a RTX on max graphics whore to ever use DLSS outside of big fire fights. Maybe if they made it possible to toggle DLSS on and off with a keyboard shortcut.

This game still uses old shit DLSS version so there is no point in enabling it at all (better just drop resolution).

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
I seriously advise people play this on ranger hardcore difficulty (with the faded hud elements, not the full dive option). If that's too much to begin with, you can start on normal, play for a few hours & to get used to the mechanisms & gameplay. But when played on ranger hardcore, it's seriously tense & makes exploration all the more rewarding (i.e. finding gun attachments & new gear). I just found a new attachment for my sniper rifle which deals extra damage. I love the supersonic BOOM echo as well when I fire this thing.

Great stealth apocalypse game.

Ywap

I bought the gold edition so i have both dlc:s. This is my second playthrough, both on Ranger hardcore since i love the tension and rewarding exploration it brings.

Also, it has to be one of the most beautiful and immersive games i´ve ever experienced. Love everything about it. Gonna be fun playing the dlc:s after i finish the main campain.

ZrU0Q01.gif

Last edited:

Mato

I got this on Saturday and spend about 8 hours straight playing it. The first part of the game was too linear and scripted. Volga was moderately fun. Then I reached the Desert area and that's where my interest completely fizzled and I haven't touched the game since. Average game, 5/10. That train section where the backdrop loops every 2.55 minutes (I counted), is the bane of my existence. It made me loath 3d level design.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Currently playing this! Right now I'm on Spring and it seems the game just keeps getting better. Getting some serious Mad Max vibes from this part of the game too. Also the game plays good and it's a looker with RTX.

It still has a bit on slav jank, but it's clear the devs have improved a lot since Metro 2033.

Ywap

Yeah, it sure is a looker and it has to be one of the most atmospheric games out there. And the weapons feels so great too.

JayK47

Played this a second time. First time was on complimentary Game Pass and I liked it so much I grabbed it on sale on Steam with all the DLC. Such a great game. Love the story and characters and it is one of the best looking games I have ever played. So rare to get a game like this. Makes me want to install the old Stalker games and give them another go. Anna is one of the best NPCs I have ever seen in a game.

Top Bottom