• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp ( New Backlit Game Boy Advance)

Ryck

Good god! on one hand I'm blown away and excited about playing my Gba games on it on the other hand I wonder why my Ds screens look so bad in comparison. I picked up a Ds a while back and traded in my old front lit Gba thinking I wouldn't need it, but the cropping of the Ds screen ( and the button mapping) drove me nuts so i picked up the new Sp. and DAMN what a difference it makes compared to the front lit all the colors look vibrant and NO dead pixels ( have 2 on my Ds)

Here are some Pix ( sorry for the crappiness these were actually the best of the pics)

dsvssp006.jpg

dsvssp005.jpg

dsvssp004.jpg

dsvssp003.jpg

ghibli99

Looks good! I've been considering this, too. I wish Nintendo would release a landscape-layout GBA with the screen size & brightness of the latest SP... like a mini-PSP (but not as small as the GBM), with the button layout of the OG GBA.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yep, I pretty much play GBA stuff exclusively on the SP, and keep that rumble pack glued into the DS slot. The difference is batty.

I woulda loved to get a Micro instead, but every now and again I have a hankering for some portable Dragon Quest.

I just picked up a new GBA SP about 4 days ago and I was surprised at how much better the games look with a true backlight instead of just the side lights. It's unfriggin believable. Yoshi's Island rocks!

Ryck said:
Just click on add to cart ( 89.99)

No, I mean, is Nintendo going to keep manufacturing the Micro? Is it going to continue to exist alongside the SP, or was it a limited run (as they implied it would be?)?

Tsubaki

Ryck said:
I picked up a Ds a while back and traded in my old front lit Gba thinking I wouldn't need it, but the cropping of the Ds screen

I hate the DS for its ergonomics of playing traditional games too but... cropping? Even in the pics you posted, I don't see any cropping.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Damn I can't get used to the SP after playing with the DS. My hand gets cramped together so badly.

The cropping you think you're seeing is because the DS screen is larger than the SP one.

Teddman

The screen looks great, and I almost got one until I tried playing my old SP after spending a lot of time with the DS. Man, does it ever feel cramped. I don't think I can go back to SP now, it just feels too small to be comfortable. I like the wide grip of the DS.

Ryck

anachronous_one said:
OK, so I wasn't the only person who missed the "cropping" that he was describing. :lol
You don't see the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen ? (Almost like a letterbox effect except on all four sides) (also I should have said scaled not cropped)

DIrtyWeasel said:
You know Nintendo will repair or replace your DS if you have dead pixels, right?
Really?

BorkBork said:
The cropping you think you're seeing is because the DS screen is larger than the SP one.
I know but it also changes the aspect ratio. On games like Metroid Zero Mission samus looks all pudgy.( I noticed this right away)

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
AdmiralViscen said:
No, I mean, is Nintendo going to keep manufacturing the Micro? Is it going to continue to exist alongside the SP, or was it a limited run (as they implied it would be?)?

uhhhhh...you must be thinking of the famicom version.

The backlit GBA is quite nice. The micro is too, but you need new cables, etc. for connecting to other GBAs or micros or to the GCN. The micro is mine. The kids use the BL GBA SP and DS.

B.K.

jooey said:

Even before the Famicom version was released, the Micro said said the black and silver ones were Limited Edition.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Cropping is the wrong word..... how about letterboxing? No part of the GBA picture is cut out on the DS....

The aspect ratio is not changed either. What happened to your DS man? I've compared an SP and a DS playing GBA and they are the same,

Ryck

BocoDragon said:
Cropping is the wrong word..... how about letterboxing? No part of the GBA picture is cut out on the DS....

The aspect ratio is not changed either. What happened to your DS man? I've compared an SP and a DS playing GBA and they are the same,
Your right I meant SCALED. let me post pics to show you what I mean.

Ryck said:
Yeah, if it's still under warranty. Nintendo pays for the shipping too. I bought my DS used for like $70 and I got it repaired in October. I did the process online, printed out some stuff and dropped it off at Fed-Ex and they took care of everything. It took 2 days to get to Nintendo, Nintendo repaired and shipped it the same day they got it, then it took 2 more days to get back to me. Only 4 days total from dropping it off at Fed-Ex to getting it to my doorstep.
The warranty was about to expire in 2 months, but when I got it back the warranty was reset to a fresh 12 months (October 2006).

I heard you can also give them your credit card number, and they'll send you a new or refurbished system. Then you send them the old one once you get the replacement. This way you won't be without your DS. You don't get charged for anything unless you don't send in your old system.

BocoDragon

Ryck said:
Your right I meant SCALED. let me post pics to show you what I mean.

I was even under the impression that the size of the screens were identical as well (at least when playing GBA), but show us your enlightening pics.....

Regardless of the size of the SP screen compared to the DS one, the border around GBA games is annoying. They should play full screen.

Ryck

For some reason the ds refuses to photograph well....( this was the best out of 25 taken!)

mzm008.jpg

you could still see the difference in samus's height

mzm003.jpg

Xdrive05

I was one of the last (in these parts) to locate a Classic NES edition SP. I love it and all, but I really wish they would upgrade it with the brighter screen. I would even ship it to them and pay them like ten bucks.

Ryck

DIrtyWeasel said:
Yeah, if it's still under warranty. Nintendo pays for the shipping too. I bought my DS used for like $70 and I got it repaired in October. I did the process online, printed out some stuff and dropped it off at Fed-Ex and they took care of everything. It took 2 days to get to Nintendo, Nintendo repaired and shipped it the same day they got it, then it took 2 more days to get back to me. Only 4 days total from dropping it off at Fed-Ex to getting it to my doorstep.
The warranty was about to expire in 2 months, but when I got it back the warranty was reset to a fresh 12 months (October 2006).

I heard you can also give them your credit card number, and they'll send you a new or refurbished system. Then you send them the old one once you get the replacement. This way you won't be without your DS. You don't get charged for anything unless you don't send in your old system.
Thanks for the info I called them up and they are sending me out a new Ds as we speak. Damn Nintendo has some great cutomer service, I got a bit of a guilt trip from the guy telling me how they take a loss on them(ds) everytime someone does this, but I justified it to myself by remembering how crappy my lower screen looks compared to my upper screen.

acidviper

Banned
Can anyone tell me how to know if its the NEW GBA SP. Most WalMart clerks think the GBA is the new gameboy and my trade in store thinks the SP is the new GBA. BestBuy has boxes but how do I know if its the backlit GBASP or old regularlit SP stock?

acidviper said:
Can anyone tell me how to know if its the NEW GBA SP. Most WalMart clerks think the GBA is the new gameboy and my trade in store thinks the SP is the new GBA. BestBuy has boxes but how do I know if its the backlit GBASP or old regularlit SP stock?

The box literally says "Now with a BRIGHTER screen!" on it.

EDIT: Beaten by Ryck

jooey said:

No. The standard Micro isn't necessarily a permanent product. Reggie said so. Anyone know if what's going on with that?

Zero Mission looks incredible on the SP+, and like ass on the DS.

There are only two colors of SP that have the new light. The slate/gray/black thing, and I think a light blue one. That's how you know which one to buy.

AdmiralViscen said:
There are only two colors of SP that have the new light. The slate/gray/black thing, and I think a light blue one. That's how you know which one to buy.

Graphite or Pearl Blue. Why won't they release a Spice colored GBA SP+?

BocoDragon

I'm comparing my DS and GBA SP and I hav come to the conclusion that they are roughly the same size. You may be right, and the screen size may be off by a couple MICRONs ;) but make no mistake, GBA games look excellent on the DS.... better than the new SP? Dunno.

BocoDragon said:
I'm comparing my DS and GBA SP and I hav come to the conclusion that they are roughly the same size. You may be right, and the screen size may be off by a couple MICRONs ;) but make no mistake, GBA games look excellent on the DS.... better than the new SP? Dunno.

No, the DS screens are bigger. Look at Nintendo's spec sheets for the two units. Or pop in a GBA game and note the annoying black border.

The new SP and Micro have better screens than the DS, too.

Anyone know about the Micro? Can I wait for it to officially drop to 50 or 60 bucks, or will they all be gone if I wait a few months, and I'll be stuck spending 100+ on a "collector's item"?

Edit:

Look at the blank space, its pretty big:

dsvssp005.jpg

Xdrive05

WTF is up with Nintendo changing their handheld hardware every time God kills a kitten?

How many friggin DS's are we going to see over the next few years anyway?

"The NEW DS! Now with flip down vanity mirror!"

Xdrive05 said:
WTF is up with Nintendo changing their handheld hardware every time God kills a kitten?

No one's forcing you to buy a Micro. And SP was a necessary revision.

cvxfreak

Xdrive05 said:

It's like the iPod. Apple tweaks things, adds others, removes others...

Xdrive05

AdmiralViscen said:
No one's forcing you to buy a Micro. And SP was a necessary revision.

No, but Nintendo adding features here and there sure sucks for early adopters. I agree about SP, and even micro and all the others. But an updated backlight to a long established model? Come on now.

Xdrive05 said:
No, but Nintendo adding features here and there sure sucks for early adopters. I agree about SP, and even micro and all the others. But an updated backlight to a long established model? Come on now.

Why not make minor, subtle updates to old models? They didn't force it down people's throats. It was a stealth launch with the new colors. It was probably a cost-cutting issue (easier to produce a bunch of different-sized backlit screens than two backlits and one frontlit), and the consumer gets a much better "new" product that still carries its bargain price.

Xdrive05

AdmiralViscen said:
Why not make minor, subtle updates to old models? They didn't force it down people's throats. It was a stealth launch with the new colors. It was probably a cost-cutting issue (easier to produce a bunch of different-sized backlit screens than two backlits and one frontlit), and the consumer gets a much better "new" product that still carries its bargain price.

No, no, no, no... you don't know what I'm saying here at all.

You see, I'm whining and complaining like a little b1tch because that backlight freaking rocks, and they stealth launched it. I would've held off on my SP and bought this one if I had known. And would probably be a lot happier right now, let me tell ya. :)

But it's about like upgrading your computer or something. You buy one model then there's a better more feature rich version just a few months down the road. I totally am cry, you know.

Oh, alright.

I've got a NESP, and I kind of wish it was backlit now. The fucking thing is unplayable as it is. Which is why I want a Micro.

BocoDragon

AdmiralViscen said:
No, the DS screens are bigger. Look at Nintendo's spec sheets for the two units. Or pop in a GBA game and note the annoying black border.

Yeah, that's what I was saying.... the GBA play area on the DS screen is itentical in size to the original GBA screen.... He was implying that it was scaled up oto the larger screen, but it's more like it was letterboxed

Top Bottom