• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Nier Automata (please no spoilers)

Bigrx1

Banned
Hey all, so I was a huge fan of Nier and for a combination of different reasons never got a chance to play the sequel. Anyway, Nier is one of the few games in my 40 year life that had a story which really stuck with me and touched me, so I'm really excited to finally get to play the sequel. I've tried to stay away from spoilers these years since release but kind of impossible altogether, I do know that I'll play through 3 characters but I don't know too many of the plot points - although unfortunately I have heard mention of a specific sad event that happens later in the game. However, luckily, it's been a few years since I heard that so I've forgotten most of the details of that part of the game and any other random spoilers I may have heard.

A few hours into the game so far, in the first area you can freely move around and play, the city ruins. Music is phenomenal as expected and combat is really good. Looking forward to see where the story goes, which is what interests me most. Lot of android waifus about on the bunker I have noticed which is nice lol. Seems like this game is dear to a lot of people, as the first one was to me, so I'm just really excited to finally play it!

I just cleared this game last week to prepare for the upcoming 24-man FFXIV raid.

It has quickly climbed it's way up the ladder to becoming one of my favorite games of all time, and definitely in my Top 3 this gen. In terms of the tired argument about games as art, I now know of 2 games this gen which legitimately qualify as works of art. The first was The Last Guardian, and the second is Nier Automata.

Now I'm going to try and track down a copy of Nier on PS3 so I can see where it all began. I heard original Nier is pretty rough though compared to Automata. There's a reason why Cavia doesn't exist as a development studio anymore.

Bigrx1

Banned
I just cleared this game last week to prepare for the upcoming 24-man FFXIV raid.

It has quickly climbed it's way up the ladder to becoming one of my favorite games of all time, and definitely in my Top 3 this gen. In terms of the tired argument about games as art, I now know of 2 games this gen which legitimately qualify as works of art. The first was The Last Guardian, and the second is Nier Automata.

Now I'm going to try and track down a copy of Nier on PS3 so I can see where it all began. I heard original Nier is pretty rough though compared to Automata. There's a reason why Cavia doesn't exist as a development studio anymore.

I found the gameplay indeed to be the least enjoyable part of PS3 Nier and the boring side quests. But, the story pulled me through and the OST. I actually quit FFXIV a few months back I’ll have to watch a video of the raid, I thought the Nier crossover would just be like the FFXV crossover like a quest series and a few glam items. Wild they are making a whole 24 man raid based on it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me NieR Automata is my personal game of generation. One thing to mention, I personally enjoyed story of both original NIER and Automata equally but Automata have very different tone compare to original game, same way Drakengard 3 has very different tone compare to original Drakengard.

KiNeMz

Banned
Nier Automata is probably my greatest game of all time. This game stuck with me for weeks after if not months. Still strikes a chord when i think about it now. Truly plays with the conecpt of 'what is a video game'. There is one hacking sequence that made me shoot through the universe like i was on DMT. Joe Rogan would be proud. Ive tried to get other friends to play this game but it just doesn't resonate with most people. I'm glad I have you all in this thread. Pod 002.

GHG

Is it spoiling it to say it's the greatest game of the generation?

The only thing I can say is kick back and enjoy, it's a fantastic experience.

Last edited:

Graciaus

I'm not a fan of open world games and some of the gameplay I found boring after awhile. But the story, characters, voice acting and music are all amazing. One of the best games this generation easily for me.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I avoided playing the game for so long because anime and the most boring and ugly looking environments I've ever seen and even after finishing it I still think they fucked up on that part but the story was really great. I really liked it and that soundtrack was just perfect.

Bigrx1

Banned
I just got
done in the amusement park and met a machine that offered to take me to the machine village which I decided to do. Not sure if you get access to it if you decline him. Anyway this game is so good so far I'm having a blast. Not much has happened story wise yet but a few very strange events. In general is just hilarious and super weird in a good way, even more so than Nier. Also I really like the voice acting.

Last edited:

Kaira

Neo Member
Nier Automata was an amazing game, I played it back to back until I got all endings I'm so glad you're enjoying it and continue to do so. :)

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
One of my favorite parts of Automata is the combat. Strikes the perfect balance between RPG fiddling and streamlined action. Whoever popularized the "move analog stick direction toward the enemy just as they attack to counter" mechanic was a genius of character-action games, on the same level of whoever put grenades on their own button in Halo: CE.

IKSTUGA

Dang, this game has been sitting in my backlog for some time, maybe I should finally give it a go.

EDIT: 4hrs in, I'm hooked! I love the art style and how the gameplay keeps changing dynamically. Like one second you're hacking and slashing and the next you're in a shootemup. Those 2.5D sections are also really cool! Normal seems maybe a bit too easy? Only time I died so far was, because I accidentally removed the OS chip... lol.

Last edited:

Bigrx1

Banned
Dang, this game has been sitting in my backlog for some time, maybe I should finally give it a go.

EDIT: 4hrs in, I'm hooked! I love the art style and how the gameplay keeps changing dynamically. Like one second you're hacking and slashing and the next you're in a shootemup. Those 2.5D sections are also really cool! Normal seems maybe a bit too easy? Only time I died so far was, because I accidentally removed the OS chip... lol.

I started and have been playing on hard and it's pretty damn hard, especially the opening sequence took me FOREVER to get past. After that it hasn't been so bad but I still can get 1-shot on occasion by an enemy a chunk of levels above me and at my level they do like half my hp per hit. But I'm sure as hell not doing very hard where 1-hit equals death every time that would just piss me off too much.

Neff

games this gen which legitimately qualify as works of art

Art isn't a measure of quality. Art is a loose description of any creative endeavour which is used to convey information, or evoke an emotional response, or both. As such, all video games are art. The difference between them is that some are good art, and some are bad art. /Oscar

For the most part I thought Automata was bad art. It's the only PlatinumGames title I don't like.

Danjin44

For the most part I thought Automata was bad art. It's the only PlatinumGames title I don't like.
For me even tho PlatinumGames worked on this, Automata is much more of Yoko Taro game more than PlatinumGames. Even the combat system has some PG elements, it still upgrade version original NiER combat system.

My point is if you are going in to Automata expecting over the top action game similar to Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, Astral Chain and Vanquish then you would be disappointed.

IKSTUGA

Did rest of the major endings yesterday, what a fantastic game. After the fact I also watched a story analysis on youtube and oh boy, is the nietzschean philosophy strong in this one. I did notice it during certain parts, but didn't realize just how deeply its themes integrate into the narrative design of the game. 11/10

Last edited:

Katsura

I guess i'll be that guy and say that coming from Astral Chains, i found it underwhelming. The story twist was easy to see coming and the combat was lacklustre compared to AC. You can just abuse the dodge button and win. Replaying as 9s was not different enough to warrant going through the same quests. I loved the setting and most of the writing but i feel like it falls short as a game

IKSTUGA

I guess i'll be that guy and say that coming from Astral Chains, i found it underwhelming. The story twist was easy to see coming and the combat was lacklustre compared to AC. You can just abuse the dodge button and win. Replaying as 9s was not different enough to warrant going through the same quests. I loved the setting and most of the writing but i feel like it falls short as a game
Thanks for reminding me that AC is a thing. Just ordered it alongside DQXI :messenger_sunglasses:

Neff

if you are going in to Automata expecting over the top action game similar to Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, Astral Chain and Vanquish then you would be disappointed.

Well I had already played (and disliked) NieR so I knew what to expect to a point. And you're right, the PlatinumGames influence takes second place to Taro's centre stage. But even so, I was surprised by how uneventful, repetitive, and shallow the game was considering how well-regarded it is.

Just like OP, I too loved the original Nier.

My concern is that i will spooge my pants watching her wiggle dat ass all through the game.

What should I do to not spooge?

Kagero

I couldn't get in to it. There's a level of jank that I couldn't get past. The maps were blocky and very last gen. Invisible walls all over the place. I hate that shit. Combat was great and varied but yeah. Coming off the polish that was Bloodborne It was disappointing. I may give it another shot for story, but I think this game is a bit over rated.

Bigrx1

Banned
Did rest of the major endings yesterday, what a fantastic game. After the fact I also watched a story analysis on youtube and oh boy, is the nietzschean philosophy strong in this one. I did notice it during certain parts, but didn't realize just how deeply its themes integrate into the narrative design of the game. 11/10

Dang you went from saying you were finally going to play it as well to done with it and achieved all endings before I even have one ending except for a couple of the goof endings. lol

Danjin44

Thanks for reminding me that AC is a thing. Just ordered it alongside DQXI :messenger_sunglasses:
Astral Chain is great, it’s my personal GOTY for this year. But don’t go in to AC expecting same type story as Automata. Taura cares much more about gameplay than giving you deep story. With that being said music in AC great like Automata is.

Last edited:

Phase

Absolutely loved the game's wild ride. I only just recently played it a couple of months ago and it is one of my all-time favorites now. Have fun, OP!

Bigrx1

Banned
Here's an update: Just finished ending A and some thoughts:

The game is very similar to Nier in so many ways, combat is similar although more refined, music similar, weapon system similar, sidequests similar structure, similar world design with connected areas and lots of backtracking, similar relationship building narrative structure on the first playthrough (a slow character relationship development between 2B and 9S, kind of similar to Nier and Kaine's where both start fairly cold and they warm up to each other over time and become more bonded), not much info on first playthrough story wise (actually even less with this game I would say). Lots of other things are very similar to Nier also to the point that I'm kind of surprised Nier did so poorly sales wise and this game has done so well, they aren't THAT different. Mind you I loved Nier so I'm loving this game also.

Thoughts on the story so far and musings (please do not confirm or deny my theories I look forward to finding out on my own as I go)

The scene of 2B killing 9S did get to me because they did it really well and just kept on with 2B crying for quite some time which eventually broke me lol. I was a crying mess and it didn't help that you see 2B's eyes the whole time which you normally don't so that added to the emotion and made it more visceral and real. However, I must say that at this point anyway (I'm assuming this will change with subsequent playthroughs as I learn more of the full story) I don't feel a massive attachment to either, or an attachment to their relationship together, because I don't really know anything about either other than that they are androids and working together. Playthrough A is basically here are these 2 androids and you now kill machines until the end, with the 2B 9S relationship slowly forming a bit more tight but it starts like they are just random co-workers assigned together and mostly stays as them being just co-workers who become more familiar with each other over time.

However, many hints dropped throughout the playthrough though that a lot more going on behind the scenes to discover with my subsequent playthroughs. I don't really believe there are any humans on the moon or that there ever was simply because of how Nier ends, plus even without that knowledge it just seems kind of apparent. Also playthrough A makes it seem 2B and 9S just met and are basically co-workers through the whole playthrough, but there are moments (especially the ending) where it seems it's way more than that, like they have a history together. 2B specifically says "why does it always end like this" when she kills him, which made me think maybe they are in some sort of loop or something that she usually can't realize or think of but at certain moments (like when she kills him) she sees clearly or remembers him and their history. Not sure yet. 2A I have no idea anything about what the deal is with her, but based on what she said made me think the Bunker and all the androids in there are kind of a sham. Either against their own knowledge or not I don't know. Seems 2A broke free at some point and knows the truth of the situation. I'm also curious to know more of what's going on with the machines they are so well done and a lot of them are very likeable.

Anyway, I'm having lots of fun! Just in the beginning resistance camp as 9S and the hacking thing is super cool. It's also nice to finally be able to open a lot of chests that I couldn't before. Looking forward to playing more!

Oh and I LOVE operator 60.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I love Nier Automata. I didnt buy it until after all of the soaring hype and it still surpassed my expectations

It also has the best music ever in a game IMO

Bigrx1

Banned
Okay, I just finished with ending E last night and I'm pretty down in the dumps today to be honest. Mainly because of what happens in game. So here are my thoughts:

First on the game itself:

I read from some people who were fans of the original Nier like myself that this game pales in comparison to Nier in every way. I personally didn't find that to be the case, I actually had more FUN playing through this game than Nier. Nier I mainly just slogged through because I was so attached to the story, this game felt less of a slog. I did, however, feel a bit more attached to the characters of Nier, Yonah and Kaine quicker, however after it's all said and done I think it's pretty equal, maybe leaning even more towards Automata.
I think my attachment to 2B and 9S happened slower because I didn't really understand the significance of 2B's and 9S's relationship until basically the very end. Because of that, some scenes in the game I felt a little detached to initially because I didn't really realize the significance (2B's death is the prime example of this and also the route A ending). I actually feel much more sad now watching those scenes again knowing the whole story. Having said that though, the Pascal scene with the children dying destroyed me more than any moment in a game every has and that's saying something. Even more than the end of Xenosaga episode 3 I think I couldn't believe how much it obliterated me. Just beyond heartbreaking, the moment you see them all dead, then Pascal starting to cry and blaming himself then him asking for death or memory wipe because it was too painful. Just killed me I loved Pascal.

I thought the side quests were better in this game as was the combat. Similar to Nier there is a ton of backtracking all over the place throughout the game but again just didn't feel quite as annoying to me as it did in Nier. Soundtrack was amazing, not sure which one I prefer both Nier and Automata close in quality. I liked that there were some nods to things that if you played the first game you would get more, such as Kaine's shack, the library taken from Nier and also learning more of Devola and Popola. My guess is people who didn't play original Nier likely didn't get much out of the brief Devola Popola thing but for me it was nice.

Overall I loved the game, the machines were so well done and likeable and oftentimes funny.

Story:

I still have tons and tons of questions about the story, but shit it fucked me up a bit. It's just so sad that 2B had to go through what she did. My whole playthrough she just seems so cold and aloof, even up to the point of her death minus a few small exceptions. Then later you learn she just can't take the pain anymore and that she was trying to protect her own feelings, that she didn't have any memory wipes she's had to endure all these killings of the person she cares most for. And just learning that she isn't cold and heartless that she loved 9S so much, just really heartbreaking. I spent most of the game not attached much at all to 2B and at the end, and day after, perhaps feeling more attached to any of the Yoko Taro characters thus far. Just brilliant story telling.

I was surprised in a good way that the final ending was a bit happy. I was not expecting the final ending to be something where they get to live, even in Nier the final ending I don't consider to really be happy it's just kind of one choice of a terrible coin flip, but with this ending E it seems 2B, 9S and A2 are alive? If that's the case there is no Bunker or Project YoRHa left to dictate that 2B has to kill 9S so maybe they live happily ever after now? lol

I figured the alien thing was bullshit, but turned out that was real. Figured maybe that was part of the farce and that there were no aliens but there were. Lots and lots of questions though but I see there are some massive online lore sites dedicated to those types of questions everyone seems to have.

I'm curious if the sequel that is supposedly in development will actually continue this story or just be in the same world again. Not sure if Yoko has ever done a direct sequel but it's possible Squenix sees money in it too and may push him to do so, who knows.

Anyway, amazing game - sorry to hear some people in this thread seem to have stopped like on route B and so forth and missed the rest of the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom