• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Phil Spencer is a cool guy after listening to his Podcast Unlocked interview

He seems genuine, if not a little safe. Most of the decisions made under his watch are mostly 'well duh' kind of decisions.

A really good leader, takes risks, and no I don't mean stupid one's like the DRM thing from last year. I still look at the lineup (including the smaller titles) and I see them still a fair way behind Sony in terms of diversity and output (even if currently MS has more AAA titles out now, it doesn't seem like for long).

Microsoft, I feel need to take more aggressive (and differential) in their approach.

Make XBL more like Steam maybe? More titles being greenlit through the process, probably not quite as much as on Steam, but certainly more than is currently being churned out.

Games for Gold or whatever its called, needs to be just ... better.

Stop spending money on exclusive pants, and start spending your money on exclusive videogames, smaller, experimental titles, more creative games.

Have $2 games on there. It doesn't have to be the App Store, or even Steam, curating can still be a thing, but I feel currently, the balance, should be met on the quality of the game, not on the size of it.

Trials needs to be a thing for everyone, and they need to last longer than most 20 minute demos. Make it mandatory that every developer, create a trial that lasts at least 1/5 of a game. How can I know if a game is good, if you've only showed me the big set piece of a game in some unknowable context in which I've been randomly dropped into?

Stay away from Japan, stop trying, focus on everywhere else, the rest of Asia, the Middle-east, South America, get there, and get there aggressively before Sony. Create titles which appeal to those regions.

Price cut. You've got a perception that Xbox One's are technically weaker, so justify that, with a cheaper console.

These are all just suggestions of course, and many of them of course apply to Sony, but I feel Microsoft needs them more.

anthonyOA

"Phil Spencer cult mentality". Are you people actually serious with this? Were you not around last year? The fucking Kaz bullshit going in here. Gifs , avatars? Ring a bell?

Ken Katuragi was definitely cult status everywhere until the Sony "Uncoupling". Some people need to take a history lesson before acting all indignant towards Phil Spencer.

He's looking out for his company at the end of the day and if an exclusive the size of Tomb Raider is there to be bought, why shouldn't he?

stormplyr

You seem to be much more bothered by TR being exclusive, (and timed at that) than Sony denying the Access service on PS4. I can guarantee you that more PS4 owners would rather have EA Access than TR on day one.

Edit: For the record, I'm not totally sure I see the link in his comparison either. Just making an observation.

I have absolutely no interest in EA Access as a ps4 owner without an XB1

Zyae

The way I look at it, it's you making this argument ultimately becomes "I have an xbox, I don't give a shit, and you're wrong anyway". This deal is fucking over* anyone who doesn't have an Xbox One = most of gamers.
*Apply a definition for "fucking over" that suits you.

so buy a Xbox if you want TR day one

Kayant

Pointless? It was a move to promote and push Xbox One, if it does (true next gen TR) then he made a great move. There's nothing wrong with what he did, actually glad we get TR which will benefit from dev focused purely on one console.

And they are offering tons of exclusive content. e3 for Xbox one was good and him coming out and green lighting Crackdown, Phantom Dust pushing Xbox one OS to be driven by fans, bringing back Rod Ferguson to drive Gears, removing kinnect to provide options, letting Rare be Rare! And so much more over the last 6 months is more than enough evidence to gauge he's a positive force for Xbox gamers, more so than any other since my boys Allard and Ed Fries.

Huh? It's a cross-gen game with a X360 version and based on early evidence(Pre-order listings from multiple retailers, MS listing it as a Multiplat before GC announcement) it should be coming out for PC/PS4/PS3 later on.

OT - To me he seems to have a good character and has a more human nature to him but there are times that isn't the case - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909272&highlight=

Phil Spencer thinks I am "first class." He treats me that way too, I dont think he has ever delivered bad news or said something I didn't want to hear. I like that!

Hahaha great ;)

rokkerkory

"Phil Spencer cult mentality". Are you people actually serious with this? Were you not around last year? The fucking Kaz bullshit going in here. Gifs , avatars? Ring a bell?

it's okay let them be

phil is the man the only man that can turn it around

E92 M3

It's not a cult - the guy is doing good stuff with the brand.

Palocca

I wholeheartedly agree with you, and there is definitely nonsense going on from both sides, but this kind of garbage right here:

phil_spencer_effectxlkhf.png

is downright embarrassing and cringeworthy.

At least the gifs are hilarious in context.

TK Turk

Banned
For a game the developer confirmed as timed exclusive?

Paying for something you were already getting as a timed exclusive is good business now?

Paying for advertising rights when the game would be advertised on its own is good business now??? Sony paid a shit ton of money for advertising rights on Destiny, and based on the numbers, it worked out REALLY WELL. I could use your same argument. Destiny was coming to PS4 regardless of the heavy Sony advertising. I'll reiterate, take a business class.

blakep267

Paying for something you were already getting as a timed exclusive is good business now?

yes. if for example, Toyota pays for sirius satellite radio to only be in their cars, when it would be in every car. thats business. Its making their cars more enticing. If somebody really wants the other car, it won't persuade them, no. But if Im looking at a list of cars to buy and Sirius is one of my favorite things, and toyota is on my car list. Im going to give that company a point for them over the others.

excessive admiration does fall under the definition of a cult. but I like to call it a really well organized fan club

i mean look at that politcal campaign list of achievements above

so well done

Take a business class. PLEASE.

Ok? Is this where we have a degree war?

I'm assuming that you, like most of us here, are on the consumer side of things. So why the fuck would I give a shit about how a deal is economically beneficially for Microsoft (or Sony). I'm not vested to that degree. However, I do care about whether this deal is good for consumers. And in that regard, it's not. That goes for PC, PS4, and Xbone owners.

Any of that sort of nonsense is bad if taken too far. This thread isn't about Yu or Kaz or Cerny though, it's about Spencer - and we've had a fair few of those recently.

Zyae

Thanks for these insights. Good talk.

Thats really what it is. Its a business. You are acting like they legitimately fucked you over. Microsoft makes deals, Sony makes deals, Nintendo makes deals. Can I be pissed at Sony for funding Bloodborne because I dont have a PS4 yet?

Chris1

Yes, tomb raider being exclusive will sway some people over to the xbox family. Are we talking millions of people here? Probably not, but some people will buy an xbox one (or choose an xb1 over PS4) to get tomb raider 6 months or a year early.

It's Phil's job to sell xbox ones to people, and the tomb raider deal will add that little extra value to the console and get some people to do exactly that.

Zyae

I wholeheartedly agree with you, and there is definitely nonsense going on from both sides, but this kind of garbage right here:

How is a list of developments with the Xbox brand since phil took over embarrassing and cringe worthy?

TK Turk

Banned
Ok? Is this where we have a degree war?

I'm assuming that you, like most of us here, are on the consumer side of things. So why the fuck would I give a shit about how a deal is economically beneficially for Microsoft (or Sony). I'm not vested to that degree. However, I do care about whether this deal is good for consumers. And in that regard, it's not. That goes for PC, PS4, and Xbone owners.

I don't care whether you give a shit or not, it's unbelievable that some of you don't understand why the deal was made though. Companies, especially successful ones, do things to make a profit.

RayMaker

Banned
He seems genuine, if not a little safe. Most of the decisions made under his watch are mostly 'well duh' kind of decisions.

A really good leader, takes risks, and no I don't mean stupid one's like the DRM thing from last year. I still look at the lineup (including the smaller titles) and I see them still a fair way behind Sony in terms of diversity and output (even if currently MS has more AAA titles out now, it doesn't seem like for long).

Microsoft, I feel need to take more aggressive (and differential) in their approach.

Make XBL more like Steam maybe? More titles being greenlit through the process, probably not quite as much as on Steam, but certainly more than is currently being churned out.

Stop spending money on exclusive pants, and start spending your money on exclusive videogames, smaller, experimental titles, more creative games.

Have $2 games on there. It doesn't have to be the App Store, or even Steam, curating can still be a thing, but I feel currently, the balance, should be met on the quality of the game, not on the size of it.

Trials needs to be a thing for everyone, and they need to last longer than most 20 minute demos. Make it mandatory that every developer, create a trial that lasts at least 1/5 of a game. How can I know if a game is good, if you've only showed me the big set piece of a game in some unknowable context in which I've been randomly dropped into?

Stay away from Japan, stop trying, focus on everywhere else, the rest of Asia, the Middle-east, South America, get there, and get there aggressively before Sony. Create titles which appeal to those regions.

Price cut. You've got a perception that Xbox One's are technically weaker, so justify that, with a cheaper console.

These are all just suggestions of course, and many of them of course apply to Sony, but I feel Microsoft needs them more.

Sony's entire strategy has been even more safe.
Phil and co are acting apon fan and market feedback what more do you want?
They also are trying to do something with the cloud maybe we'll be able to plant an acorn and watch it grow, lol.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Guess what, I also enjoy the fact that Uplay or Origin have no place on the PS4 at the moment. I think it's great. I'm not a fan of publisher-exclusive services on consoles.
How is it related to microsoft buying timed exclusive for TR though? What's next, quoting a post of mine that says 'I heart playstation' and presenting it as damning evidence?

You're better than this.

Because you have posts like this in this thread:

How is that not being fucked over?
Are you trying to nitpick the definition of the term, or what exactly are you implying here?

Not a single gamer benefits from the decision made. Only Microsoft does.
And yet here we have posters cheering them on. It's pretty weird.

I could easily change that to "Not a single PS4 gamer benefits from the decision made. Only Sony does" and you can apply it equally to the EA Access thing. The only people Sony not allowing EA Access benefits is them. The post that I quoted from the other thread was you responding to someone saying that Sony should at least allow people the choice to get the service, but you defend them saying they run a tight ship and you like that. You're literally cheering them on. I find that somewhat hypocritical.

Whether you like the EA service or not is irrelevant, that's for the market to decide. Only in Sony's case they made the decision for you which is anti-consumer. In the same way the MS removing the ability for you to play TR at launch is anti-consumer. Both companies (and SE) made these decisions with their own best interests at heart, not ours.

Chobel

So only uninformed people buy a game on an a less powerful device because it comes out earlier? What about those millions of people that bought GTAV that knew a PC version was on the way? Were they uninformed? Or does coming out first, especially during a holiday, have some impact on sales and mind share beyond simply people being 'uninformed'.

This deal is primarily for future Xbox owners. People on the fence that might be swayed by something like TR. However, current Xbox owners do get some benefits:

1) Xbox is clearly the lead platform. It's obvious that the PS4 is more powerful, but Microsoft will be doing everything in their power to squeeze every last drop out of the XB1. I doubt we see parity, but Destiny is proof that some amazing things can come from Microsoft throwing their money and resources at optimizing products on their platforms. Seeing how TR Definitive Edition turned out, this is an improvement for XB1 owners.

2) Microsoft will be handling the marketing for this game, which means more of the game's budget can be spent on development. Technically, this is a bonus for PS4 and XB1 owners since we are now getting a game with a higher budget.

About 1)
  • The Xbox was going to be always going to be lead platform. In all previous TR games, CD only developed Xbox version, all other verisons were outsourced to other studios.
  • Destiny was not maximizing PS4 performance and probably not even Xbone.
  • Ironically, destiny is one of reasons you don't need exclusivity, as MS help maximize many games performance in xbone even though they're multipats.
About 2) It looks like MS was going to advertise RoTR anyway, because MS was the one advertising TR 2013 and RoTR was shown at MS E3 conference. So going exclusive was not going to change that, heck you don't need to offer exclusivity for advertising deals, MS is already doing advertising many 3rd party games without exclusivity deals (CoD, ACU, Division...etc).

My point, you were going to get the benefits of 1) and 2) without the exclusivity deal.

CoG

To think somebody spent time researching and designing that. If that's not just MS astroturfing surely the author could have spent their time better.

I was. That was irreverent spoofing. What was interesting about that time was that the equivalent Xbox threads were filled with foot stamping, narrow minded, defiant "only on Xbox" avatars.

And this Phill Spencer stuff is embarrassing.

Ateron

You really think that Bloodborne wouldnt have gotten funded without Sony? Please.

That was sony commissioning a game. It's not a direct sequel, it's a spiritual successor and doesn't carry any name resemblance to the Souls Series. Where did I ever said that game wouldn't be funded without them? You lost me.

I couldn't give two shits if MS approached CD and said: "you guys probably are done with TR but we would like you to do something close enough. Make it an exclusive for our platform, here's the check and help with tools and promotion.".

It's a little different to approach the same studio which had their games released on a multitude of platforms, had a recent remaster performing/selling better on ps4 and then decide not to release it there. That's not value, not for me and not for a X1 owner: he gained nothing, the game would be released regardless. All he got was console warz ammo and gloating rights, or something.

BloodBourne is not a Souls Game. The mechanics seem familiar but are not the same thing. That game was comissioned by sony, who treated FROM like a freelancer studio "here, do something for us".

SO overdrive would be funded regardless, they just wanted to keep the rights and most Publishers wouldn't let them keep them, something that FROM probably has no problems with as they have a good partnership with Sony.Sony could easily have made Demon Souls 2 in-house, but they know the magic lies within FROM. That trust is what made them accept that BloodBourne deal (and a little help with funding, promo, and tools don't hurt either). It's a whole new take on the formula, one that they can try with a safety net, all the while learning the ropes to better utilize new gen tech for the inevitable multiplat Dark Souls 3. Everybody wins.
Yoshida made the mistake of not believing in FROM 100% when Demon Souls came out, but is rectifying that mistake, which is intelligent.

Like I said, I think Imsoniac did the right thing. They wanna keep the rights, and they're entitled to. MS was smart in letting them keep them, Sony was not.

Palocca

How is a list of developments with the Xbox brand since phil took over embarrassing and cringe worthy?

It's cringeworthy and embarrassing because someone outside of MS actually took the time to create this elaborate timeline about all the good that Phil has done since he stepped in as the head. It reads like a fluff piece and has no other purpose than to communicate how great of a leader he is.

Don't get me wrong, I think Phil's doing a great job since he took over the brand, but come on.

LOL at people still upset over Tomb Raider going exclusive to Xbox One as if they just started gaming in 2014.

At the start of every single generation companies go out and get 3rd party exclusives. It's been going on for 25+ years.
Hell, even Nintendo bought the exclusive rights to a whopping 3 games for one of the biggest characters in all of gaming, Sonic.

I don't care whether you give a shit or not, it's unbelievable that some of you don't understand why the deal was made though. Companies, especially successful ones, do things to make a profit.

I think most people understand why the deal was made. Spencer has pretty much said that they wanted to fill a gap in their lineup. I'm not sure your idiotic advice that everybody who disagrees should take a business class will help in drilling that in anybody's head.

But guess what, we as consumers choosing to buy this shit have the ability to not blindly agree with any company that makes shitty deals that are bad for us and good for them. And we're even advanced enough to realize that the companies are always attempting to seek profit and not acting as charities. It's not that mind-bending a concept.

Zyae

You have to be trolling...

Edit: It's the image that's embarrassing and cringeworthy, not what Phil has done.

Right, it was probably first posted to reddit where people make images and post them for link karma instead of self text posts. It really isnt any different than making a regular post. All he did was put it in JPG format. How is that embarrassing.

It's cringeworthy and embarrassing because someone outside of MS actually took the time to create this elaborate timeline about all the good that Phil has done since he stepped in as the head. It reads like a fluff piece and has no other purpose than to communicate how great of a leader he is.

Don't get me wrong, I think Phil's doing a great job since he took over the brand, but come on.

Yea, and I actually don't think Phil wants all that much attention. I think he appreciates that he can be a good "mouthpiece" for the brand right now (especially after last year), but I think he does a good job of letting people know that the real people behind the scenes doing the hardwork deserve a lot more credit (e.g. all of the wonderful OS updates that have been come in the last year).

While I do really like Phil and think he's the best leader for the brand right now (even if he has done some things I didn't fully agree with (TR, not dropping parity for indies)), I think some of the "worshiping" (if you want to call it that?) should calm down a notch. And while we're at it, the same goes for any "worshiping" for other companies' higher ups, too (Sony, Nintendo, Valve, etc.)...it gets a little weird sometimes, haha.

omonimo

Banned
LOL at people still upset over Tomb Raider going exclusive to Xbox One as if they just started gaming in 2014.

At the start of every single generation companies go out and get 3rd party exclusives. It's been going on for 25+ years.
Hell, even Nintendo bought the exclusive rights to a whopping 3 games for one of the biggest characters in all of gaming, Sonic.
Jeez the ignorance in this post. People it's not upset for the exclusive, but because MS paid for something announced multiplat a month before.

Ateron

I don't think most people are upset. It's just a shitty tactic to cover up one of MS biggest flaws: they don't have the first party muscle Sony has, and has been developing for the past 8-9 years when they really, really had too (cause exclusives cost a shit ton that sony doesn't have). Sony doesn't need to have TR first because they have Uncharted, and will have TR after anyways.

This is a bad tactic, it's like a band aid in a shotgun wound. They're simply delaying a game's release without actually owning it, just to try and compete with the genre's heavy weight and fill a gap in their release schedule, all the while spending a truckload of cash that could fund a new game/concept. Sony could have payed for GTA IV dlc, they chose to use their money in other, more interesting ways. 20 million for exclusive dlc would be enough to fund Uncharted 1, and probably that's what they did. You can either get a time exclusive or inject that money into Heavy Rain.

Different mentalities from different companies. MS thinks in the now, Sony is trying to think ahead (creating studios and franchises, taking the long way around), a far cry from their ps1-ps2 days where they could do this shit and buy whatever they wanted (even though most studios would just gravitate towards them anyway since they we're selling 6 or 7:1). MS thinks that just by securing a big game for some months and cock blocking PS and PC they will get more sales. It will just make less people interested in the game by the time it hits.

And I'm saying this as someone who bought and finished TR ps4 and wasn't exactly wowed with the game, so it's not even bothering me.

fallingdove

Paying for advertising rights when the game would be advertised on its own is good business now??? Sony paid a shit ton of money for advertising rights on Destiny, and based on the numbers, it worked out REALLY WELL. I could use your same argument. Destiny was coming to PS4 regardless of the heavy Sony advertising. I'll reiterate, take a business class.

Oh wise TK Turk. Learn us with your omnipotent business ways.

tumblr_lmaoaalC0M1qfy0g6o1_500.gif

I appreciate Phil for pushing for Killer Instinct to be made but that is really all he has done for me. Until MS start really investing in first party studios, everything Phil says or does comes off as an attempt to pull the wool over our eyes. The exact same thing happened with both the Xbox and the 360.

Chobel

I find it hilarious of people butthurt over the Tomb Raider deal. You're telling me if you were Phil Spencer, you wouldn't make that deal? He's doing whats best for the interests of Xbox and Xbox owners, not for PS4 or PC owners. He WANTS to take an AAA title away from those platforms to make the Xbox more appealing. I see the deal a major success from all the butthurt reactions from it mostly from non-Xbox people, clearly.

I applaud Spencer for being aggressive and making that exclusive. The TR deal was a complete shocker and no one expected it, so he is bold. I don't care if it's timed, it's likely a long one anyway, so it will have the same effect as an exclusive. If you want to play Tomb Raider? Buy an Xbox One or wait a year. He's only been in his position for 6 months, and you have to judge him for what he's done since and he's doing a good job so far. Even the Gold paywall policy reversal was because of him shifting to a new policy.

About the thread, I agree. When I heard Phil on the other podcast, I forgot where he talked about classes, I read the articles and bulletpoints, but when I heard the full interview, he sounds like a cool laidback guy. He seems much more in tune with regular people while Mattrick clearly was not a J, Allard.

And this takes the cake, not only you're defending that moneyhat, you're actually applauding that Phil Spencer did it, and part of that because you like seeing "all the butthurt reactions from it mostly from non-Xbox people". SMFH

I have nothing against Phil Spencer, I agree with some of you, he does seem genuine. It's some of the people that work with him that I don't necessarily trust or feel are genuine. Yusef, Greenburg, Penello, and Harrison always appear to be selling me a used car or something. While Phil has a great track record connecting with gamers, these other 4 definitely do not, not in the past 1.5 years.

Phil takes 2 steps forward, and the 4 horseman take one step back when they start communicating with fans, answering questions, etc.

Just my opinion, nothing personal....

Seems like a decent enough guy, and its understandable he's liked this much - he's the face of the guy who turned the XB1 around after its disastrous start. Still, I find it amusing that he's referred to as a 'party' the OP is late in attending.

Ateron

And this takes the cake, not only you're defending that moneyhat, you're actually applauding that Phil Spencer did it, and part of that because you like seeing "all the butthurt reactions from it mostly from non-Xbox people". SMFH

This.

And I don't think Spencer is being smart with his money. IF this would secure TR as a legit exclusive, I could understand (buy an alternative to fight the market leader instead of creating it, which is time consuming), but this accomplishes nothing. People will still flock to Uncharted and when they're fed up, they will be able to buy TR with dlcs added in a few months-maybe a year down the line. It's nothing more than a band aid and a waste of dollars. They should have kept the money and funded yet another in-house IP. Those take time to grow but can become a lot more lucrative in the long run.

Hubble

Agree. I think he's done good so far but the damage is probably too great to come out on top. They need to do something big bold and creative. I like Sony's SharePlay idea, something sort of along those lines but better. Gifting games would be a cool feature but not enough.

Oh please. Don't twist what I said. Moneyhatting is something ALL companies do, not just Microsoft, so I am not going to debate it's morality. We don't live in a perfect world. If you were Phil competing and losing to Sony, you would do what's best for Xbox and that is a Tomb Raider exclusive as one means in a business environment where exclusives in gaming has always been a strategy. All the butthurt reactions show people clearly care about Tomb Raider, so I would say it was a success. People want to play the game.

Seems like a decent enough guy, and its understandable he's liked this much - he's the face of the guy who turned the XB1 around after its disastrous start. Still, I find it amusing that he's referred to as a 'party' the OP is late in attending.

I want Phil Spencer party gifs now.

Two Words

How is it different to other 3rd party exclusives such as bloodbourne and the order?
Tomb Raider situation:
Microsoft- We will pay you to not release that game on another platform you already intended to release it on for a while.

Bloodborne situation: We will pay you money to make this game, which will be for our platform.

Top Bottom