• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney

Menitta

Last week, someone made a thread about Ace Attorney Trilogy and Dual Destinies being on sale. I've been slightly interested in Ace Attorney, along with other visual novels, for a while, but never pulled the trigger. So person who made that thread, it's your fault I'm addicted to this series.

I can't think of the last time I picked up a new game and enjoyed it like I am with Ace Attorney. I love this game. That tutorial trial does the best job of keeping the player hooked. Clearly, the meat of the game is in court. Trying to outsmart the prosecutor and witness. It's so thrilling. (The amount of times witnesses commit perjury is astounding.) The investigation segments are fun too. Interacting with the colorful cast of characters between trials is very entertaining. The dialogue is great.

The cast of characters is very "Capcom". You could put most of the witnesses, defendants, and prosecutors in a fighting game, and they'd fit. They're all so memorable. Miles Edgeworth is one of my favorite rival characters ever now. He's awesome! One thing that kinda bums me out is how early Mia Fey does. She seemed like such a cool character. I don't really like Maya Fey that much. She's a nice character, but I like Ema Skye much more (especially because she's what I was like when I was 16 except less...stupid). I do hope she shows up later in the series.

I really love this series, and I'm going to keep playing them. When I finished the 4th case, I went out and bought Apollo Justice and Dual Destinies.

I'm about halfway done the last case of 1. I'm gonna be playing the Trilogy for a while.

I give this game 10 Objections out of 10.

Vibed

Glad you got into it OP! Maybe Maya will grow on you thoughout the second game (cause unfortunately you won't be seeing Emma for a while). I bought DD during the sale too but I still need to play AJ.

It's a great series. I remember I really enjoyed doing detective work more than I enjoyed being in the courtroom. But fun throughout.

I played the first two games, but it was so long ago that I don't remember the stories all that well.

Menitta

Glad you got into it OP! Maybe Maya will grow on you thoughout the second game (cause unfortunately you won't be seeing Emma for a while). I bought DD during the sale too but I still need to play AJ.

Maya is a fun character, but she didn't seem to have too much of a personality other than "hungry". She was great in the Steel Samurai case.

BratmanDu

I recently got the trilogy also, always been a series i wanted to play, being a fan of law and order and cop shows like that. Of course this is a bit less serious than that type of courtroom/police stuff. Really enjoying it so far, I'm into the second case of the second game. Definately gonna continute with this series!

Wish there was a police/court/investigation style game that had a more serious tone like the wire or something. Had a lot of hope LA Noire would scratch that itch. Hah, what a foolishly foolish fool i was!

Just getting the series on 3DS as well, have been loving it. I'm on the last case of the first game, looking forward to continue through the dries. I also picked up Apollo Justice on DS and the Miles Edgeworth title.

ajjow

Nevet managed to finish the last case. I dont lnow where to go. I bought the trilogy yesterday and Im trying again.

GSR

Welcome, OP.

Don't worry, Ema (and even Mia) get more chances to shine as the series goes on.

My one piece of advice would be to pace yourself. The sixth main game is releasing in English in a few weeks, and then there's a spinoff and crossover available as well. (Plus another spinoff with a fan translation.) Don't try to play the whole series at once, you'll burn out on it.

selo

Have fun with the second game, it has the best case in the series.

I mostly disliked 2, only really enjoyed the last case, was great indeed although I'm not sure I'd call t the best in the series though.

Trials and tribulations is my favorite, most consistent and a lot of backstory.

Menitta

Nevet managed to finish the last case. I dont lnow where to go. I bought the trilogy yesterday and Im trying again.

There is so much evidence in that case.
Especially because there are TWO MURDERS

I've been getting through it much easier than Case 3. That case had a lot of small stuff that I got stuck on.

The cast of characters is very "Capcom". You could put most of the witnesses, defendants, and prosecutors in a fighting game, and they'd fit. They're all so memorable.

This is probably the biggest draw to the series, for me. The cases can vary in quality, require a couple odd logical leaps, and occasionally fail to hit... but in the end, the characters themselves sell the entire franchise. And yeah, there's something about Capcom's ability to effortlessly crank out likable, high-quality b-list characters.

However, they do occasionally use those powers for evil... Wendy Oldbag and Lotta Hart are proof of that.

Welcome to dark side, OP <3 <3 <3 You're in a much happier place now. Let the flawlessness of Ace Attorney envelop you and take over your life :') It's truly a beautiful moment ;)

Menitta

Welcome, OP.

Don't worry, Ema (and even Mia) get more chances to shine as the series goes on.

My one piece of advice would be to pace yourself. The sixth main game is releasing in English in a few weeks, and then there's a spinoff and crossover available as well. (Plus another spinoff with a fan translation.) Don't try to play the whole series at once, you'll burn out on it.

Will do. Tomorrow, I'm going on an 8 hour car trip, and I figured this type of game would be perfect. After the 2nd one I'll take a break. There are no shortage of games coming out.

Also The Great Ace Attorney looks fantastic.

Me too! I started playing a couple of months ago and have finished the first three games on DS. I'm currently working on AA: Investigations, but it isn't quite the same without proper trials. Still worth playing tho.

My favourites so far are 1 and 3.

I'm gonna need a break soon though..

Hikami

That sale and Ace Attorney 6 coming out next month reminded me that I hadn't finished the trilogy yet when I've been sitting on it for months.
Just finished the 3rd game recently and immediately started playing Apollo Justice right after. You have some good times ahead of you.

DonMigs85

Please stop playing the series after the original Trilogy and just pretend the rest never happened. The other games suck so hard.

jJt9vum.jpg

Please stop playing the series after the original Trilogy and just pretend the rest never happened. The other games suck so hard.

BOOOOOOOOOYYYYYY

I mean, sure, Apollo Justice and Dual Destinies are overall a drop in quality from the original trilogy, but it's not nearly that drastic. I also never had to deal with a case nearly as bad as Turnabout Big Top...

You act like this was a "Dexter after Season 4" level drop off.

On the 4th case of Justice for All. So far, Justice for All's cases were meh. A lot of stretching the truth lol. Also the 5th case in the 1st game dragged on forevvver, I hated that one. I hope Trials and Tribulations is better. I also have Apollo Justice and Miles Edgeworth and Dual Destinies to go...

You don't like Maya? I might replay these because of this thread.

Honestly.. When I first started, I wasn't huge on Maya either. However, my mind completely changed by the time I finished the trilogy. She definitely grows on you, OP. She did for me, at least.

I certainly don't agree with this. Of course I respect your opinion, but I definitely don't agree. The trilogy is incredible, but I have just as much fun playing the other games, personally.

I played the first game around 2009, then moved on to the second game but stopped on the circus case after getting stuck. I later heard some criticisms of that case, within the past year...

I bought the trilogy yesterday as it was on sale.

I don't like
magical elements like a ghost revealing unknown information, or psychic powers being involved.

Pompadour

The rest of the series is just fine. I don't know what criteria people use when denoting what games are or aren't bad in this franchise but the whole series is goofy, dumb, and batshit crazy from the get-go and I love it. It still somewhat astounds me that the court system is totally fine with things like psychic testimonies in this series.

FluxWaveZ

Is 6 getting a physical release?

No. The Ace Attorney series is on the verge of death in the West, and this is not an exaggeration. We will not be seeing physical releases of Ace Attorney games in English after Dual Destinies, and we also won't be seeing localizations of the spin-off games anymore.

It's getting a physical release in Japan, though.

Menitta

No. The Ace Attorney series is on the verge of death in the West, and this is not an exaggeration. We will not be seeing physical releases of Ace Attorney games in English after Dual Destinies, and we also won't be seeing localizations of the spin-off games anymore.

It's getting a physical release in Japan, though.

What a time to get invested in the franchise.

Now that I know this, I'll buy 6 day 1 to show support. I won't get to it any time soon but I know I will eventually.

cHinzo

Damn, enjoy experiencing these games for the first time. It's my favourite series, the characters are amazing and the plot is well written including some crazy plottwists. The moment you connect all the dots in your head and see the bigger picture feels great. :>

The third game is the best one of the series, although the second one has a great final case. The third game's cases are all connected and has an epic finale to wrap up the trilogy.

Dual Destinies is fine though. A really streamlined experience, without much backtracking, which I actually prefer over the older games. It does make the game a bit easier though, but I would say the quality of the cases are on par with the first game and better than the second one (minus the final case).

Damn, enjoy experiencing these games for the first time. It's my favourite series, the characters are amazing and the plot is well written including some crazy plottwists. The moment you connect all the dots in your head and see the bigger picture feels great. :>

The third game is the best one of the series, although the second one has a great final case. The third game's cases are all connected and has an epic finale to wrap up the trilogy.

Dual Destinies is fine though. A really streamlined experience, without much backtracking, which I actually prefer over the older games. It does make the game a bit easier though, but I would say the quality of the cases are on par with the first game and better than the second one (minus the final case).

I'm on this case above. I feel like it's a rehash of the "other' case in the 1st game...

Xenoblade

It's amazing how much your ability to read affects your enjoyment of these games.

I mean obviously if you struggle with reading then the game will be a bit of a chore, but the impact is profound. My girlfriend, for instance, finally tried Phoenix Wright after months of my trying to get her to play. She's probably slightly below average in reading comprehension and speed, and she didn't enjoy Phoenix Wright as a result.

It's not that she hates reading, rather that she wasn't able to 'hear' the characters the way they were supposed to be heard. Their personality didn't flow through the text because she struggled with the text to begin with. It's very sad.

Anyways, I loved these games. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

I highly recommend Ghost Trick also from the creator of Ace Attorney, Shu Takumi.
Secretly better than any of the AA games.

khaaan

The final case in Ace Attorney 2 was pretty good, for whatever reason I remember being frustrated towards the end of it though but I can't exactly recall why I was upset with it. I remember the setup and some of the twists being fantastic though even after I spoiled something.

What are the worst cases in this game? The first case was a little simple but it felt like greeting an old friend. I thought the second and third cases were pretty good too.

The final case in Ace Attorney 2 was pretty good, for whatever reason I remember being frustrated towards the end of it though but I can't exactly recall why I was upset with it. I remember the setup and some of the twists being fantastic though even after I spoiled something.

What are the worst cases in this game? The first case was a little simple but it felt like greeting an old friend. I thought the second and third cases were pretty good too.

5th case from the 1st game "Rise from the Ashes" was bad because it draggggggggggged forever. I just wanted to get over with it at one point.

Menitta

Oh yeah, I completely forgot to mention this. I told my parents about it and they want to give it a try. They love this kinda stuff. I'll give them the tutorial case and see what happens.

Top Bottom