• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Professor Layton X Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney *unmarked spoilers for PLXPW*

(marked spoilers are for games other than Professor Layton X Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney)

*sigh* Such a disappointment. I was really, really excited for this game when I was originally going into it, but what I found was a deep valley with some highish hills here and there. Of course, this shouldn't be taken as a comment on those who really enjoyed it - I can see why they may. The crossover idea was a super cool one going into it, but once I actually played the game, I realized that it did not work at all.

Pros:

1. The NPCs are very good, in large part. Birdly, Punchenbaug, Kira (with exceptions made for the fact that her name was a dead giveaway), Darklaw, Greyerl, Foxy, Barnham, the Judge, Riddelle, Rouge, Shakey, Lettie, Wordsmith - just a lot of really fun NPCs that felt like they belonged in an Ace Attorney game.

2. I enjoyed Maya and Luke's interactions, they were cute.

3. Puzzles were fun, for the most part.

4. Trials were fun, for the most part.

5. Some touching moments in the ending.

6. Having to go up against Professor Layton in the last trial was a pretty cool thing, and the realization that it would be happening I basically went:

880pratt3.gif

7. More shocking, of course, was seeing the Professor die, and in the same trial seeing Maya die. Having Luke come to hate Maya, and watching everyone cope with Maya's death after the trial, was really, really great and sad.

8. The new multiple-witness system was pretty cool, I'd like to see that come back somehow.

9. Being able to present magic spells was pretty neat.

Cons:

1. Quite possibly my least favourite last trial in any Ace Attorney game. So much exposition! I literally missed stuff because I accidentally bore through it because I was so bored. Also it went on way too long. The trial was only really entertaining when I was cross-examining the Vigilantes, but they weren't my favourite set of witnesses.

2. I didn't get the feeling of exposing some great villain at the end of it all. Espella? Well she's obviously not evil. Darklaw? Maybe a bit cruel, but there's no way that she's evil. The Storyteller? Same thing basically. Compare that to the villains of earlier games:
Manfred von Karma, Damon Gant, Matt Engarde, Dahlia Hawthorne, Godot, Kristoph Gavin, Quercus Alba, the Phantom, etc.

3. The ending, lordy... I guess it's my fault for having too high of expectations, and while it didn't just white-wash the tragedy of many people being killed, Professor Layton games really go out of their way to establish just how happy the ending ends up being. There's not necessarily anything wrong with that, of course - I'll admit that there were some pretty touching moments in the story. But (spoilers for Curious Village):
when it came out that the town was fake, it immediately reminded me of Curious Village's ending - everything being fake, and the town being made for robots. I guess it isn't really unoriginal because they had a pretty deep set of differences in why it happened, but that feeling of "this, again?" is something you shouldn't be feeling in a story-based game.

4. Fake-out deaths! It literally happens for three different characters, and it's understandable why you would have to not have them actually die because this world isn't magical, but it felt really cheap - like they wanted to tug at your emotions by killing off two main characters, but it wasn't that much longer after we see them die that we see them not dead. But the worst offender from a storytelling perspective is the Storyteller (ha). He literally describes his illness as incurable, and then half-a-minute later he says "Bellduke made a cure". Like what the fuck? That's so cheap! I'm not nearly as bothered by him not being dead, and way more bothered by him setting it up that he had an incurable disease when he knew that there was a cure!

5. Puzzles simply aren't up to snuff. So many of them felt like you could bullshit your way through them. They aren't bad, but they're probably the worst I've seen in the series.

6. By crossing the two games over, they ended up making a single game that felt like they were only half of what they could have been. I found that the Professor Layton sections often killed the pace of the Phoenix Wright sections, and that neither did each other any favours. There wasn't even a neat side game like all the other Professor Layton games had - you couldn't make a robot dog or live in Labyrinthia Life or customize a room with furniture. It just feels like this would have been a better game if it wasn't a crossover.

7. Picarats and hint coins mean nothing to completion %, which (IIRC) is not normal for the PL series. I have no idea whatsoever why they didn't do anything with it - it just made me take longer because I figured that they would still have some significance to either count.

8. Professor Layton clashes with everyone else. Luke, Maya, and Phoenix are all fun, and Layton's kind of fun in his stodgy way (it's especially fun to see him making mistakes while serving as the Inquisitor), but generally he's just kind of not an interesting character. Being that he's much smarter too, it often falls into exposition territory, and that sucks.

9. The end credits were nice in a Professor Layton way, but I was super disappointed that the second credits with the Ace Attorney focus didn't give us the chance to do the classic "interview all the NPCs" that we saw in all of the other Ace Attorney games.

Despite my misgivings with the game, it's fairly good... but it's probably my least favourite Professor Layton and Ace Attorney game, and by a pretty wide margin. :(

MrBadger

I'm a big fan of the setting and I really enjoyed the idea of magic based trials
until...yknow.
It's a damn shame the ending was so bad because around chapter 4 I was having such a great time. Felt like the shake-up the series needed after Dual Destinies.

vareon

The twist was ridiculously crazy and I understand some may not like it. But I really love this game, the only thing I don't like is the lack of Layton-like side activities.

And the multiple witness is great, so happy that it will return in Dai Gyakuten Saiban.

D-Man

The game was good but when it was first announced, the thing that worried me most was that it would have a PL-like ending. I was so disappointed when I found out that
the ending was exactly that.

I love both franchises, but the endings that the first three Layton games use are so lame and I knew it deep inside my heart that PLvsPW would go down the same route.

Isotope

Favorite parts were easily the trial portions; I enjoyed the group testimony, but that seemed too easy. Overall, it was an OK game; not as greata s i hoped it would have been, but I enjoyed what i played

The music, however, was absolutely sublime, and is easily my favorite regarding both series; loved it so much that I bought the OST.

Vylash

was just about to make one of these threads, i enjoyed everything up until the final case, they had an opportunity to have magic as a legitimate thing and they threw it all away with "i'm a CEO! we did it all with machinery!" and am i really expected to believe that the shades could follow witches around with nobody noticing or bumping into them?

the stuff with Eve and Espella was ridiculous and went on for way too long

i legit started laughing at "we put the cloak over the clock tower!"

but i really liked the multiple witnesses stuff and all of the other cases were really good, but it still ranks as the second to last of my favorite ace attorney games

Ah, I suppose I should give it props for the music, it was pretty damn great.

10. The music was great!

But I have to balance that...

10. There are sometimes weird sound errors, like they weren't properly inserted or something. Also lag.

was just about to make one of these threads, i enjoyed everything up until the final case, they had an opportunity to have magic as a legitimate thing and they threw it all away with "i'm a CEO! we did it all with machinery!" and am i really expected to believe that the shades could follow witches around with nobody noticing or bumping into them?

the stuff with Eve and Espella was ridiculous and went on for way too long

i legit started laughing at "we put the cloak over the clock tower!"

but i really liked the multiple witnesses stuff and all of the other cases were really good, but it still ranks as the second to last of my favorite ace attorney games

What's your least favourite? Apollo Justice?

Also I'm really glad that I gave Danganronpa 2 priority over PL X PW! Such a much better game.

MrBadger

The game was good but when it was first announced, the thing that worried me most was that it would have a PL-like ending. I was so disappointed when I found out that the ending was exactly that.

I love both franchises, but the endings that the first three Layton games use are so lame and I knew it deep inside my heart that PLvsPW would go down the same route.

The problem with the ending wasn't that it was too Layton-like, it was that it made absolutely no sense and was blatantly written last-minute with no regard for anything else that happened in the story and hand-waving explanations to everything it contradicts. Like they decided magic wasn't real right at the end so then had to go about making excuses for everything magic that happened. Whereas in Unwound Future for example, the reveal is big and silly, but it doesn't contradict anything and it moves the story forward rather than completely derailing it.

Ending is awful, but it's the sort of conclusion I've come to expect from a Layton game. Stunning soundtrack though, and I absolutely loved the Mob Cross-Examinations. Everything up to the ending was awesome, so I ended up liking the game a lot.

Ending is awful, but it's the sort of conclusion I've come to expect from a Layton game. Stunning soundtrack though, and I absolutely loved the Mob Cross-Examinations. Everything up to the ending was awesome, so I ended up liking the game a lot.

*nods* The pre-final-chapter(s) stuff was definitely what made me like the game as much as I did. I just hope to goodness this game doesn't get a sequel (or if it does, have it pull fewer punches and make it feel like two complete games carefully put together instead of the basic elements of each mashed together).

My trick to enjoying this game was to just throw out all sense of logic and rationality and just accept what they're telling me in the story.

In any case, I'm glad they basically went all out with this crazy plot, without regard to any semblance to reality, even if the consequence is that the believability/relatability falls flat for many gamers. It's feels like a true Shu Takumi script, unlike Dual Destinies.

HiroTSK5

6. By crossing the two games over, they ended up making a single game that felt like they were only half of what they could have been. I found that the Professor Layton sections often killed the pace of the Phoenix Wright sections, and that neither did each other any favours. There wasn't even a neat side game like all the other Professor Layton games had - you couldn't make a robot dog or live in Labyrinthia Life or customize a room with furniture. It just feels like this would have been a better game if it wasn't a crossover.

I honestly feel the opposite about this. I like this game because the Professor Layton sections were entirely focused on puzzles and in having these section I didn't have to deal with the overly long and boring investigation segments that usually drag the Phoenix Wright games down. Hopping back and forth between pure puzzle solving and trials is amazing.

FluxWaveZ

In any case, I'm glad they basically went all out with this crazy plot, without regard to any semblance to reality, even if the consequence is that the believability/relatability falls flat for many gamers. It's feels like a true Shu Takumi script, unlike Dual Destinies.

What? How? In what way? At least all Ace Attorney games, perhaps barring a few moments when observed with scrutiny, function with their own internal logic and they don't outright contradict themselves. No matter how absurd an Ace Attorney game gets, it makes "sense" in that game's world, because that's what it conditions you to expect.

PLvsPW defenestrates all of its sense of logic as the game approaches its finale, resulting in a story that one can't take seriously whatsoever. All of the drama is gone and every moment that proceeded the ending is rendered insignificant for the pathetic excuse of "twists" that it uses.

And I will always have a sour spot for how they dumbed down Phoenix Wright so that Professor Layton could have the spotlight at every moment. It truly was his game.

Durden77

I actually found myself enjoying the trials in this game more than DD to a certain extent at least in the moment. After 5 games of "It's all over..." *fade to black....."HOLD IT!!" Someone saves the day!!* I felt like the trials in this game actually had some new tricks up it's sleeve for keeping things going besides those old AA cliches.

That said, yeah that last case....phew. Even if the in the moment writing was arguably better than some AA cases, it's not as nearly as good with revelations and tying everything together.

In the end I enjoyed it and it was a fantastic idea. Battling Layton in court was great. He fit in perfectly as a prosecutor, to the point to where I almost wish he would take up that profession and show up in the actual AA games lol. But it wasn't as nearly as memorable to me as the standard AA games.

Oh yes and the music was indeed a highlight. Spellbreaker is so sick.

FluxWaveZ

In the end I enjoyed it and it was a fantastic idea. Battling Layton in court was great. He fit in perfectly as a prosecutor, to the point to where I almost wish he would take up that profession and show up in the actual AA games lol. But it wasn't as nearly as memorable to me as the standard AA games.

Except if that happened, it would be the most frustrating prosecutor yet because he would be one that absolutely could never get any piece of logic or assumption wrong, and he would always know everything that will happen next and that Phoenix Wright was planning, while also being on Phoenix Wright's side the whole way through. A flawless, "good" prosecutor who stands above every character and who absolutely bests Phoenix Wright in court, even when he "loses" because that's exactly how he planned it.

It'd suck.

Except if that happened, it would be the most frustrating prosecutor yet because he would be one that absolutely could never get any piece of logic or assumption wrong, and he would always know everything that will happen next and that Phoenix Wright was planning, while also being on Phoenix Wright's side the whole way through. A flawless, "good" prosecutor who stands above every character and who absolutely bests Phoenix Wright in court, even when he "loses" because that's exactly how he planned it.

It'd suck.

It kind of reminds me of how Klavier had no edge to him.

Justice For All actually, godly final case aside Turnabout Big Top did too much damage

Honestly, and this could legit go into the controversial opinions thread, I kind of liked Turnabout Big Top haha! I enjoy characters who are just kind of obnoxious assholes.

rekameohs

Banned
I really enjoyed the first witch trial with the robbers being burned. I liked the "fish out of water" feel that the characters had. And the music is great.

But that final trial / ending is so god awful.

MrBadger

I preferred the trials in this game to the trials in Dual Destinies because they were rather straightforward murders but the introduction of magic meant it was all about reading up on how the different spells worked and pointing out contradictions that way. Simple, fun and satisfying. If the whole game was like the first few trials, it would be perfect.

Then you have Dual Destinies, where I couldn't give you a step by step run-through of how the murder went down in case 2. When every villain has an overly complicated plan to kill someone and cover up the murder, the whole thing just loses my interest entirely and the motive behind the crime feels completely weightless because the killers don't feel like believable characters anymore.

FluxWaveZ

I really would have been fine if they just kept everything fantastic. Actually debating the logic behind magic was a really neat concept, and made for a unique addition in trials that wouldn't be possible in a normal Ace Attorney game. They didn't have to make the biggest leaps in logic I've ever seen in a game in order to justify that.

I like to look back at some of the previous threads discussing this game's conclusion.
The ending is incredibly bad. Holy shit.

There's no magic, but this guy hypnotized everyone for ten years and the water makes people pass out when silver is rung. Also there are invisible people and machines everywhere faking the magic.

What.

I have an incurable illness.

Wait what.

It was just cured.

What.

rekameohs

Banned
Yeah, the - I have an incurable illness, jk I'm fine -exchange like 20 seconds apart was just absurd. I really don't know what they were thinking with that one.

And I will always have a sour spot for how they dumbed down Phoenix Wright so that Professor Layton could have the spotlight at every moment. It truly was his game.

I kept waiting for Phoenix to teach Layton a lesson in believing in your client, or pull off some ridiculous turnabout, but the trial went on and on and Layton continued to be the star. And then during the final (or one of the final, can't remember) Cross-Examinations, when they changed the music to Layton's theme instead of the regular Cross-Examination music, I actually had to shut the game off for a bit. Phoenix constantly being one step behind that trial had me steaming.

And then the final evidence presentation didn't use "Take that!", but Layton's stupid "Have a look!" voice clip. It was the last straw for me and I just gave up hoping that Phoenix would get his moment in the spotlight.

Yeah, the - I have an incurable illness, jk I'm fine -exchange like 20 seconds apart was just absurd. I really don't know what they were thinking with that one.

Greatest plot twist ever.

DanixDT

Neo Member
As a fan of both series, I really enjoyed this game.
The reason for everything was definitely very Layton-esque, with the most ridiculous "scientific" answers.

Did you also play through the extras? The characters meet up and lampshade some of the more nonsensical stuff, like the giant stone statue in the opening and the car in the tree.

MrBadger

It's also kind of amazing how everyone's fine with all the shit the Storyteller does after the reveal. What about that one kid who was tricked into thinking she killed her only friend (a goat or something) and further tricked into thinking she murdered a guy by strangling him through a magic portal? Like, surely 10 years ago she couldn't have consented to being a part of this experiment. Enjoy the trauma for the rest of your life

Durden77

It'd suck.

While I know that a lot of opinions are they made Wright look like shit in this game and made Layton look like I god, I didn't quite get that impression. Where as they did dumb him down a bit, I've always seen Wright as a flawed character and Layton as....well not. I've only dabbled in Layton games, but from what I've seen he ALWAYS has his shit together. Even when shit hits the fan. Wright on the other hand, has literally saved people's lives by abrasively pointing his finger and shouting nonsense, only to realize "Oh god what I said might actually be true".

But that's the reason why I like Wright far, far more than Layton. Given how the two are portrayed in their games, that Layton has more experience with this kind of stuff in general, and that if they're both going to be fish out of water, Layton would probably get back to the pond first, I thought their portrayal of both characters was pretty spot on. As someone that would say Phoenix Wright is probably their favorite video game character ever, nothing about his portrayal really bothered me in this much. Plus I kind of viewed it as him being "young" again in a way I guess, because it was a spin off. So maybe I gave them a pass on that and some of his naivety.

But yeah....I suppose especially this late in Wright's career Layton he wouldn't work too well. By DD standards, Wright can still fumble a bit, but overall is a veteran lawyer that all can look up to. Having a, like you said, flawless "good" prosecutor wouldn't do to much for him at this point or his story. I just really enjoyed Layton's "act". There were a few times where I was genuinely getting a bit concerned with what he was doing, although in the back of my head I knew it was probably all for the greater good.

I just think that he would've played very well as the main prosecutor in an AA game that focused more on a younger Wright or something, and Layton helping him become an even better lawyer without him realizing it. Kind of like Edgeworth slowly revealing his true colors throughout the series, except in reverse because Layton would be helping Wright bloom, not the other way around.

Kazerei

Banned
As a fan of both series, I loved this game. What really impressed me is how awesome this mashup worked out. Not easy to pull off considering how different each series is. IMO it's the greatest crossover game ever because it faithfully delivers both Professor Layton and Ace Attorney gameplay in one seamless package. I can’t think of another crossover that is this successful.

At first I was wondering how the heck this game would work, but in the end it actually feels like the two series complement each other well. The setting and story were distinctly more Layton-esque -- especially that ending lol -- but IMO that actually ended up benefitting the Ace Attorney side of the game.

Previous AA games have introduced new gameplay elements to spice things up like the Mood Matrix, Apollo's bracelet, and Psyche-Locks. But the mob cross-examination thing is the coolest new feature. It allowed the writers to introduce a colourful cast of characters who can interact with each other, and makes the cross-examinations more dynamic. AA's courtroom drama is far from real life, but multiple simultaneous witnesses would probably be a bit too outlandish for contemporary AA games, but it totally works in PLvsPW. Essentially, the change of setting in PLvsPW allowed the designers to break free from the usual process. They can easily rewrite the courtroom rules because it's Labyrinthia.

Previous AA games have also had cases that are connected to each other story-wise. But they don't flow together quite like they do in PLvsPW. With the Layton segments, the writers can move the plot forward in between cases. And in the context of the story, it makes alot of sense to have a sequence of cases. Crazy how everything works out so nicely.

The major downside is that they really toned down the difficulty compared to the main games in either series. The cases are simpler, the puzzles are simpler, and the game holds your hand kinda tightly. I have to agree that this is my least favorite Professor Layton or Ace Attorney game, but hey, the real PL and AA games are so amazing, it's not much of a knock. I still greatly enjoyed PLvsAA.

FluxWaveZ

While I know that a lot of opinions are they made Wright look like shit in this game and made Layton look like I god, I didn't quite get that impression. Where as they did dumb him down a bit, I've always seen Wright as a flawed character and Layton as....well not. I've only dabbled in Layton games, but from what I've seen he ALWAYS has his shit together. Even when shit hits the fan. Wright on the other hand, has literally saved people's lives by abrasively pointing his finger and shouting nonsense, only to realize "Oh god what I said might actually be true". [...]

I understand what you mean and it makes sense; a lot of the problem I had with how the main characters were portrayed was indeed the juxtaposition between the two characters, and Layton seems to be a character who always has his shit together while Phoenix Wright definitely has moments of weakness and missteps. But this made it so that Layton overshadowed Wright in every single scene that they were both present (egged on by Maya always going "This guy's way smarter than you are, Nick!").

Through circumstance, they could have alleviated how much spotlight Layton was taking. I feel like they tried to do it by "killing him off," but—I don't know why—I don't feel like that was sufficient. Like Matt Attack suggested, just one scene where both characters are somehow at the end of their rope and Phoenix Wright pulls off one of his famous turnabouts would have helped this immensely, I feel. The court is supposed to be Wright's domain while the puzzles are Layton's, but instead Layton overtook both of those, making it seem like Wright was just another sidekick.

If this was AA4 Phoenix Wright, we would have two masterminds instead of one and the other barely hanging on at the edge of his seat. Wonder how that would be like... That idea for a prosecutor helping Phoenix Wright grow like that is an interesting one—kinda like acting as a Mia Fey after she left him—but I can't say I share your enthusiasm for the idea because it's not really what I'm looking for in a prosecutor. That's getting a bit off topic though, heh.

Did you also play through the extras? The characters meet up and lampshade some of the more nonsensical stuff, like the giant stone statue in the opening and the car in the tree.

The free DLC chapters made me feel a lot better about the ending for stuff like this, and also because we actually got to see Miles Edgeworth. They acknowledged how absurd the game was and broke the fourth wall constantly; it was fun. I feel the game might have benefited from that instead of trying to rationally explain everything that happened with "science."

ZeroX03

Banned
I liked the ending. But I'd played two previous Layton games so I knew what I was getting into. Lovely game and I prefer it over Dual Destinies.

The twist was ridiculously crazy and I understand some may not like it.

The twist itself was incredible, but after its initial reveal they spent so much time explaining it—hashing out every little detail—that all of the excitement had completely died by the end.

On a more positive note: I loved all the voice acting for the game, especially Phoenix and Maya's dub (sorry Sam Riegel, you're great, but I think I preferred Nick's voice here).

Previous AA games have introduced new gameplay elements to spice things up like the Mood Matrix, Apollo's bracelet, and Psyche-Locks. But the mob cross-examination thing is the coolest new feature. It allowed the writers to introduce a colourful cast of characters who can interact with each other, and makes the cross-examinations more dynamic.

Plus hint coints in court. Such a better solution than the dumbing down of AA5, which went a little too far. Even though the coins were admittedly too many iirc.

The major downside is that they really toned down the difficulty compared to the main games in either series. The cases are simpler, the puzzles are simpler, and the game holds your hand kinda tightly. I have to agree that this is my least favorite Professor Layton or Ace Attorney game, but hey, the real PL and AA games are so amazing, it's not much of a knock. I still greatly enjoyed PLvsAA.

I prefered the puzzles being more like small challenges and somewhat fitting into the plot, compared to generic math and whatnot from mainline Layton, which in fact made me hate the Layton games I've played outside of the atmosphere. With this game, I finally got the amazing Layton feel, but with enjoyable (i.e. streamlined) gameplay. Love it.

Javier

This game is so bizarre. It's like the good stuff is so awesome and the bad stuff is so awful that in the end everything evens out perfectly and it leaves me with nothing.

I'll say the most offending thing about the whole game was the fact that the tower in the center of town was there all along but no one could see it because hypnosis and all that crap. And we also have to assume nobody got near the place ever and felt the tower was there. Really.

The good stuff was very good, though. Luke and Maya as BFFs was great, and I did enjoy the puzzles and trials in general. If they don't pull another ending like this one, I'd support a sequel.

And this character. My favorite in the game.

Doukou

It was alright probably my least favorite AA game. The exploration scenes just felt boring and the trial scenes were very easy. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong since I played it in Sept but it felt like I as copying and pasting information rather than solving anything. The ending is alright but it feels hard to justify the actions of all the characters.

On a related note, I recall after first downloading this game that there would be multiple free DLC episodes/puzzles. Anybody play through all of them care to comment on whether or not it's worth the time?

Miker

Takumi went full Layton. You never go full Layton.

I still liked it. Mostly. Honestly I would've sacrificed PL vs. AA for AAI2. And probably DGS.

Miker

Edgeworth has overstayed his welcome IMO. PLvsPW:AA was a blast by comparison to AAI.

Have you played AAI2? Because if you have, then I don't know what to say. If you haven't, then you should so you can retract that statement. AAI2 is up in the top tier for me with AA1+3.

rekameohs

Banned
On a related note, I recall after first downloading this game that there would be multiple free DLC episodes/puzzles. Anybody play through all of them care to comment on whether or not it's worth the time?
They're extremely short. So yeah, it's worth the time if you want more out of the game. It'll probably be an hour to beat all twelve.

Lusankya

In this game you can see why cross-overs between two well recieved games are usually not a great idea. E.g. Zero Escape x Danganronpa would also result in a disappointment.

I still really like the game, but Layton style stories and AA style stories don't really mesh well.

While disappointed in the ending, I remember it for all the good parts:
- Great music and artwork
- Maya is back!
- General interaction between AA and PL characters
- Mob trial!
- Solving puzzles with Phoenix and Maya as your avatars

Also thank you Nintendo for finally playing an AA game in German again. While I personally don't need it, it is nice to have.

The good stuff was very good, though. Luke and Maya as BFFs was great, and I did enjoy the puzzles and trials in general. If they don't pull another ending like this one, I'd support a sequel.
The ending was just typical for Professor Layton, but after all the game was about Phoenix and Maya in a PL style world. If the sequel was about Layton and Luke in the AA world now...
But there will be no sequel.

In this game you can see why cross-overs between two well recieved games are usually not a great idea. E.g. Zero Escape x Danganronpa would also result in a disappointment.

I still really like the game, but Layton style stories and AA style stories don't really mesh well.

Mhmm. Here's what should have been done:

Two games

Professor Layton feat. Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright feat. Professor Layton

First game is a true-blue Professor Layton game, and the latter an Ace Attorney game. No trials for the former, no puzzles for the latter.

VegiHam

I feel like this game needs to come with a sticker or something saying 'heads up: this is a Layton game.'

Honestly, when people say 'I like Ace Attorney but I've never played a Layton Game, should I play the crossover?' tell them no. Do not encourage them. Most of the negative impressions of this game come from these people.

I loved this game the whole way through; but I was a fan of both series already, so I was expecting a Layton Plot.
I think playing Layton Games primes you to expect the magic to be fake. All game I was like, well geographically everyone was in London, neither Wright Games or Layton Games have witches and magic; there's gotta be something going on. So the revelation of all the magic being staged felt natural. I think if you come into this game with less Layton experience you're more likely to say oh okay, magic, I'll go with that, and then be disappointed when it's taken away.

I both like and dislike the ending, you can definitely smell the potential being squandered when it starts going full Layton, on the other hand it's a crossover so really I liked seeing things go full Layton when they started off so Ace Attorney if that makes sense.

On the whole though the game reminds me of the respective joys of both series, has a fun cast of characters and a killer soundtrack so I still really dug it.

FluxWaveZ

I loved this game the whole way through; but I was a fan of both series already, so I was expecting a Layton Plot.
I think playing Layton Games primes you to expect the magic to be fake. All game I was like, well geographically everyone was in London, neither Wright Games or Layton Games have witches and magic; there's gotta be something going on. So the revelation of all the magic being staged felt natural. I think if you come into this game with less Layton experience you're more likely to say oh okay, magic, I'll go with that, and then be disappointed when it's taken away.

Do Layton games also tend to contradict themselves and leave giant plot holes in convoluted explanations to justify everything that happened leading up to the ending, even though the fundamental premise of the series seems to be about using one's head and utilizing logic to find the reasonable solution to things with a Sherlock Holmes-like main protagonist?

Because it's not the plot twist that was the problem. It was how unabashedly terribly executed it was, as though the writers rushed at the last minute to wrap things up and said "screw it" to everything that happened in the game previously because there was no time to carefully think things through. It's an insult to the player's intelligence; I don't see how being familiar with the Professor Layton series alleviates that unless that series also has a tendency to insult the player's intelligence.

Top Bottom