• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Red Dwarf

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtmd

Banned
Count me in for those that enjoyed X but thought Back to Earth was awful and 7&8 weak.

Hell even the much praised Season 6 was a mixed bag for me. Some gems in there and Out of Time was a great finale but by 6 formula and a (IMO) strange complatency had set in.

1-5 are absolute classics though.

Well, the thing about a black hole - it's main distinguishing feature - is it's black. And the thing about space, the color of space, your basic space color - is it's black. So how are you supposed to see them?

I watched and enjoyed these immensely when I was younger. I'm really not sure what I watched them on considering there wasn't On demand type content and I'm from the states. But damn I remember raucously laughing. I should get back into it again soon. I think I only watched the first three or four Seasons and I'd imagine I'll appreciate them significantly more since I'm in my mid 20's now.

1 and 2 are entirely different to the rest due to the pathetically low budget they had to begin with. 3 onwards gets much more weird and sci-fi. And 5 and 6 are the very best.

7 and 8 are SHIT

9/back to earth is painfully average

10 is legit great

11 starts next month and is apparently really,really really good. 12 was filmed concurrently and airs next year

The above is red dwarf truth

Thanks, I'll follow this guide.

Nodnol

First TV show I can remember watching. My dad had them on VHS, so along with Blackadder, that's what I would watch.

Enjoy the ride OP. You're about to hit the apex of the show.

Boys of the Dwarf...

Rich!

First TV show I can remember watching. My dad had them on VHS, so along with Blackadder, that's what I would watch.

Enjoy the ride OP. You're about to hit the apex of the show.

Boys of the Dwarf...

Nodnol

Are you from Bulgaria?

Nodnol

Nodnol

Are you from Bulgaria?

"...rich in animal produce and mineral wealth, just south of Bosnia."

I've had this username, or variations, for years. Every once in a while, someone gets the reference, but in this thread it's hardly surprising.

One of the best gags in that episode is the Wilma Flintstone conversation.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I've watched every single episode at least twice. It's an awesome TV show with a brilliant cast.

I'm really looking forward to the new series.

cabot

One of the best gags in that episode is the Wilma Flintstone conversation.

She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

1) Quarantine
2) White Hole
3) Polymorph / Holoship

Yeah I cheated, in true Rimmer fashion.

Will the X onwards ever go on netflix? It annoys me I just loop through s2-s5 forevermore. I've only watched X once.

cabot

"I'm going to whip you to within an inch of your life and then...I'm going to have you"

Why?

Because....I'm not a very nice person.

Justice is also an episode I think of very fondly. The case for Rimmer's innocence is amazing.

"Would you describe the accused as a friend"

"Take the fifth!"

You know that super fast scroll on the first ep of season 3? That explains it.

I had watched RD so many times before i decided 'Let's pause this and actually read the text'

I had a good laugh when it actually explained everything between s2 and s3.

Why?

Justice is also an episode I think of very fondly. The case for Rimmer's innocence is amazing.

"Take the fifth!"

Nah I'd describe the accused as a git.

Qasiel

I absolutely love Red Dwarf. Used to have a 3-episode (Quarantine/Inquisitor/Terrorform) VHS back in the day and I ended up wearing the tape out.

Cannot wait for the new series.

liquidtmd

Banned
Can anyone remember which episode it is where
they end up chasing a penis?

latest

Polymorph? I hope lol

Reiterating what others have said, 1-6 is worth watching. some very funny/fun sci-fi comedy.

Everything from then on felt like a very unfunny entirely different show. Haven't seen 10 tho.

Pretty sure Rob Grant was the funny one of the two main writers since he left after 6.

"...rich in animal produce and mineral wealth, just south of Bosnia."

I've had this username, or variations, for years. Every once in a while, someone gets the reference, but in this thread it's hardly surprising.

I have twice been told to get down.

One of my favourite lines is never mentioned...

"Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb."

A classic line.

Reiterating what others have said, 1-6 is worth watching. some very funny/fun sci-fi comedy.

Everything from then on felt like a very unfunny entirely different show. Haven't seen 10 tho.

Pretty sure Rob Grant was the funny one of the two main writers since he left after 6.

10 has Doug Naylor's son co-writing. Its definitely a lot funnier and more consistent with the rest of the series (as in 1-6

X has Lemons. great episode.

mclem

Did Grant just stop having anything to do with the show?

After he finished his time on the show directly, he wrote another book.

The book continuity is confusing. It's the same overall setup as the show with the same storylines, but some differences and some situations where the book and series diverge, along with some places where storylines from individual episodes on the television cross over in the book. Add to that that after the second book (the second one written by 'Grant Naylor', there's *two* third books, one by Rob Grant (Backwards), the other by Doug Naylor (Last Human)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I actually read the books. I'm just surprised that he didn't bother coming back, if only to write some kind of reunion special episode or something.

Blue Lou

Red Dwarf was a program I liked but never knew when it was on TV. I remember seeing the Starbug shrink in the newly rebuilt Red Dwarf and not seeing it for years wondering how it was resolved. Then years later I saw the episode, the poor rat.

2 > 3 > 4 > 1 > 5 > X > 6 > 8 > 7 > BTE.

6 is when it really started to drop in quality for me. I know people love the schoolboy fantasy of playing cowboys in Gunmen of the Apocalypse, but I didn't think that series overall was that great - moving on to Starbug made the show less unique to me and the GELFs thing, which was a work around for the premise of a universe without aliens again made it less unique because they were now running into "aliens" every episode by this point. I prefered the conversational type comedy of the earlier seasons rather than monster of the week episodes.

Better Than Life, Thanks for the Memory, Queeg, Stasis Leak, Marooned, Backwards, Timeslides, Camille, White Hole - these are the kind of episodes I go back for.

Ruruja

Infinitely rewatchable. I don't mind S7 and S8. You still get some great moments like Rimmer's extended salute.

mclem

It amuses me that of the cast, the two with the most regular acting jobs now are the two who started out as a performance poet and a dancer.

10 has Doug Naylor's son co-writing. Its definitely a lot funnier and more consistent with the rest of the series (as in 1-6

X has Lemons. great episode.

2 > 3 > 4 > 1 > 5 > X > 6 > 8 > 7 > BTE.

(snip)

Better Than Life, Thanks for the Memory, Queeg, Stasis Leak, Marooned, Backwards, Timeslides, Camille, White Hole - these are the kind of episodes I go back for.

You like the same sort of episodes as me, so i guess i gotta check out series X then.

FunkyMonk

Why?

"Take the fifth!"

"Oh Mr Lister everyone takes towels from hotels."

"I took the entire suite"

I was a proper little Dwarfer as a kid, in fact I still have the Tongue Tied VHS on a shelf & may even have the comic/magazine collection squirreled away somewhere.

Nah I'd describe the accused as a git.

"A man who even objects to his own defence"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom