• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Red Dwarf

Status
Not open for further replies.
What other British (or otherwise) sitcoms that are character focused like Red Dwarf? I've got Faulty Towers and Blackadder in my 'to watch list' but I wouldn't mind watching some more (old) British comedy shows. Pref. something within the 'PG-13' range if that makes any sense ^^;

Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister (1980-88 series) <- best comedy of all time but make sure you get the right series (there was a crap remake a few years ago)
Father Ted (has a lot of swearing, dunno if that gels with your pg13 thing)
Dad's Army
'Allo 'Allo
Porridge
Only Fools And Horses
To The Manor Born
The Good Life

Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister (1980-88 series) <- best comedy of all time but make sure you get the right series (there was a crap remake a few years ago)
Dad's Army
'Allo 'Allo
Porridge
Only Fools And Horses
To The Manor Born
The Good Life

Whatever you do... Don't watch bottom

jstripes

Banned
What other British (or otherwise) sitcoms that are character focused like Red Dwarf? I've got Faulty Towers and Blackadder in my 'to watch list' but I wouldn't mind watching some more (old) British comedy shows. Pref. something within the 'PG-13' range if that makes any sense ^^;

Anything by Graham Linehan:

- Father Ted
- Black Books
- The IT Crowd

There were moments on those shows where I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe. Plus, amazing one-liners.

bdbLCBYh.jpg

oH YEAH i've been wanting to watch Father Ted for some time actually heh.

It's not quite a PG13 but just forget that and watch it. You owe it to yourself it's an amazing show, just amazing and so much great comedy character acting and not just hammy either. It's one of those shows i wish i could watch again for the first time.

I could quote it for years.

Tizoc

It's not quite a PG13 but just forget that and watch it. You owe it to yourself it's an amazing show, just amazing and so much great comedy character acting and not just hammy either. It's one of those shows i wish i could watch again for the first time.

I could quote it for years.

I've known about it for years and I am aware of how Fecking good it is ;)

pulsemyne

Dad's Army
'Allo 'Allo
Porridge
Only Fools And Horses
To The Manor Born
The Good Life

The character interaction is one of the main things the writer of Red Dwarf took from Porridge. Obviously the characters are very different but the whole "Bunk scene" thing comes from porridge.
Also helps that Porridge is just brilliant and Ronnie Barker was one of the best comic actors this country ever produced.

Yeah, Barker was incredible. Dude had the best facial expressions too. I remember when they did pretty much a half hour bunk scene in A Night In with just him and Beckinsale, and it was great

Seasons 1 to 6 were amazing, amazing television.

Just to recall some amazing scenes that people haven't mentioned so far (I think):

-In the pilot, Rimmer's panic as he doesn't understand his exam paper, so her stands, salutes, and faints. Brilliantly played.

-Normal Lovett's Holly was amazing - the extended gag about the Norweb Federation was hilarious.

-"Thanks for the Memory" is not an eventful episode, but is a nice exploration of how a wonderful memory can change even the most bitter of people. Lister really tries to help Rimmer, though it of-course backfires.

-Stasis Leak is brilliant. "I'm the Rimmer from the double-double future."

-Marooned is marvellous. Lister and Rimmer's candid and honest reflections on their lives are brilliantly played and really funny. "Are you saying I've got a big bum? "Big?! It's like two badly parked Volkswagons". Lister's shame at the end contrasted brilliant with Rimmer's silent rage.

-No need to name the episode - just "Let's get out there and TWAT it."

-The absolutely cruel, ruthless, hilarious final scene of Timeslides will never be forgotten: "I AM ALIVE!"

-The Last Day is a brilliant study of Kryten, and the decency of the Dwarfers to make his last day as incredible as it can be. "It's Marilyn Monroe!"

-The cat meeting the ultimate manifestation of his desires in Camille was absolute perfection.

-DNA: "Engaging Panic Mode. Panic Mode Engaged. BOOOOOOOOOHHH"

-The secret fishing trip in Dimension Jump - "We used to go condom fishing! Once I caught a 12 inch black ribbed knobler, it was this big!"

-The Inquisitor is a fantastic science fiction piece, about the nature of existence and time travel. Its funny - "Mr Lister, I know that there is only one way you could have opened that door.... OH you've got it under your jacket!"

-Holoship - "You will be required to have sex with beautiful, brilliant women - twice daily - on demand. Now, am I really the only one here, to find that just a little bit... tacky?" - cut to CAT and LISTER paralysed.

-Legion is another great Sci Fi concept with a cool mystery and clever resolution.

-The entire Lister Droid sequence in Out of Time is brilliant. "Someone else tell him. I've got gussets to scrub!"

For brilliant reflections on the episodes, check out SFDebris' Red Dwarf section. He spots a lot of great character moments that I had originally missed,

liquidtmd

Banned
-Holoship - "You will be required to have sex with beautiful, brilliant women - twice daily - on demand. Now, am I really the only one here, to find that just a little bit... tacky?" - cut to CAT and LISTER paralysed.

MV5BNTc1MjA4MzMwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjU3Mjg0MjE@._V1_.jpg

'What do you do when you want to have sex'?

This actress in holoship was great, nailed delivery of most of her lines fantastically

Tizoc

Demons and Angels is one odd episode. Their demon personas are a little too extreme :p
Though I gotta say, Rimmer is TOO much of a Smeghead in Series 5.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
First 6 series were amazing. I have watched them about 3 times already. I'm probably due for another run in the upcoming months. Honestly, it never gets boring watching this show.

The rest of the series is still good, though. I'm quite excited about series XI next month!

MV5BNTc1MjA4MzMwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjU3Mjg0MjE@._V1_.jpg

'What do you do when you want to have sex'?

This actress in holoship was great, nailed delivery of most of her lines fantastically
Jane Horrocks, she delivered them even better when you realise she's a Lancashire lass. She's fantastic and very versatile, well known for lots of other rolls including serious and comedy rolls - especially known for the ditzy assistant Bubble in Absolutely Fabulous.

Well, I would go with Betty...

...but I'd be thinking of Wilma.

Never watched 10. 7 and 8 were so bad I've never been able to get through them both, although I've tried many times. BTE was just dull. After all that, I gave up, but this thread makes me feel that 10 might be worth a shot.

Series 2 and 3 are my faves, but really, the first 6 are all pretty golden. Love the first two books too.

Well, I would go with Betty...

...but I'd be thinking of Wilma.

Never watched 10. 7 and 8 were so bad I've never been able to get through them both, although I've tried many times. BTE was just dull. After all that, I gave up, but this thread makes me feel that 10 might be worth a shot.

Series 2 and 3 are my faves, but really, the first 6 are all pretty golden. Love the first two books too.

9 was definitely meh as well, but 10 was amazing! Check it out :)

Tizoc

Having just finished Series 6 (dat finale!) I think I'll take a break from the series, watch some other stuff then watch 7 and 8 and then go onto Series 10.

All in all...I rather liked Season 1 and 2 the most. Season 3 onwards was like the group going on hijinks and crazy adventures which was nice but for some reason I felt 1 and 2 were more 'focused'.

All in all I enjoyed what I watched :)

Joni

I'm viewing the show for the first time. Enjoying it so much. Season 6 finale is brilliant with the
time machine where they realize it is just a time machine, not a time-space one.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Having just finished Series 6 (dat finale!) I think I'll take a break from the series, watch some other stuff then watch 7 and 8 and then go onto Series 10.

All in all...I rather liked Season 1 and 2 the most. Season 3 onwards was like the group going on hijinks and crazy adventures which was nice but for some reason I felt 1 and 2 were more 'focused'.

All in all I enjoyed what I watched :)
I'm viewing the show for the first time. Enjoying it so much. Season 6 finale is brilliant with the
time machine where they realize it is just a time machine, not a time-space one.
Wow, only the series VI finale?

Man, wait until you see VII episode I. One of my favorites.

And I wouldn't skip IX. I still like it. It's only 3 episodes. It's cute. Just watch it.

Joni

Wow, only the series VI finale?

Man, wait until you see VII episode I. One of my favorites.

And I wouldn't skip IX. I still like it. It's only 3 episodes. It's cute. Just watch it.

You are completely right about VII episode 1. That was the last episode I managed to see last night.
As for IX, I have a box that contains 1 to 8, so 9 - 11 will have to wait.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You are completely right about VII episode 1. That was the last episode I managed to see last night.
As for IX, I have a box that contains 1 to 8, so 9 - 11 will have to wait.
I really enjoyed X. Haven't watched XI yet. IX was okay for what it was, but I can see how some might not like it. But X was a true return to form.

I like it all personally and wish it would go on forever. I just really love the characters and their chemistry.

Yeah i couldnt stand series 7 and 8 sadly
Might give series 9 a chance tho

Its not really a series but a long episode that also has a 3 episode version. Some people hate it but I didn't mind it apart from the overt Blade Runner stuff. Red Dwarf is weird in that from season 7 on they would produce the series in a totally different way from the season before.
Season X feels like Season 5 and 6 but with the cast a bit older. Lemons is one of the series' greatest eps. XI feels like how 7 should have been, it also just feels a bit truncated since the eps are a fair bit shorter (and some just end really abruptly), but still mostly very funny (still not seen the last two eps yet, waiting for cheap Bluray)

Season 1-6, multicamera, mostly filmed in front an audience.
Season 7- single camera and then showed to an audience after it was edited.
Season 8- Multicamera studio
Back to Earth (RD9): Single camera no audience, a large chunk of it filmed against a green screen
RD X: sort of multicamera mostly filmed in front an audience
RD XI: back to single camera and shown to an audience (RD XII, which was filmed back to back with XI will probably be the same)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom