• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Red Dwarf

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulsemyne

Did Grant just stop having anything to do with the show?

Yeah because he was bored with writing it and wanted to try things out on his own. Rob and Doug actually thought about splitting several years before that but kept going due to Red Dwarfs success.
Also Rob hasn't been very successful on his own. He doesn't really seem to know exactly what he wants to do. He's written some novels, done stand up, the odd TV show but nothing major.
Rob and Doug have sort of made up and do talk to each other now and again but there was supposedly some acrimony over the split. The Red Dwarf USA fiasco didn't help things either.

pulsemyne

Yeah, I actually read the books. I'm just surprised that he didn't bother coming back, if only to write some kind of reunion special episode or something.

Well they kind of did. On the very hard to come by Red Dwarf Bodysnatchers DVD there are a number of story boarded episodes that were only half finished on just in early form. One of these episodes is called Bodysnatcher and for the DVD was finished off by both Doug and Rob with them sending drafts of the script back and forth to each other. You can watch the whole thing right here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YesvsRnF4As

Season 1 to 6 is amazing, even with the new Holly who is funny in her own way and Kryten was a fantastic addition.

I think series 4-6 is where the show started firing on all cylinders. Or maybe 3-6. I can't actually remember series 3 all that well. The first couple though felt a bit flat and unfunny for me, which is why I don't have a lot of fondness for them.

Stop after series 6.

Jealous, you're about to hit some classics for the first time.

The ending of series 6 was so perfect. It's almost a shame it didn't end there, even though the Ace Rimmer episode in series 7 was great.

Jacknapes

Can anyone remember which episode it is where
they end up chasing a penis?

Ah, Archie. Last episode of series 8, the one with the mirror universe. Can't remember the name of the episode.

Avid fan of Red Dwarf, didn't mind season's 7 and 8. Back to Earth was pants, but paved the way for season X. Can't wait for XI next month. Once you hit Gunman of the Apocalypse, boy that episode is a lot of fun.

pulsemyne

The highest rated episode among Red Dwarf fans is "Back to Reality". Dwayne Dibbley, Jake Bullet, the despair squid. What's not to like.
"What a bunch of Twonks"

One of my favourite tv shows when I was younger and this topic has got me watching season 10 for the first time. I'm only about half an episode in but whats the setup for these episodes?

I remember
Rimmer hitting Death in the balls at the end of season 8 (?) and I saw bits of Back to Earth. Does season 10 follow on from this or did the writers just create some new timeline/dimension for the setting?

Novocaine

Has anyone else listened to the commentaries on the DVDs? I can't exactly remember which season it is (pretty sure it's 3) but there was one Craig Charles was out and the rest of the cast were doing impressions of his voice. Fucking hilarious.

mclem

One of my favourite tv shows when I was younger and this topic has got me watching season 10 for the first time. I'm only about half an episode in but whats the setup for these episodes?

I remember
Rimmer hitting Death in the balls at the end of season 8 (?) and I saw bits of Back to Earth. Does season 10 follow on from this or did the writers just create some new timeline/dimension for the setting?

This is mentioned later in season 10. Details of the mention follow:

Rimmer's about to talk about what happened when he gets interrupted, and no details are given. I expect that that means they're just going to ignore or jokily allude to the gap rather than covering it.

In terms of what you need to know: You haven't missed any crucial continuity.

Shiloa

most episodes appear to be on youtube FYI

I remember

Well, it's kinda why they just skipped series 9. There's never going to be an answer.

Rich!

"Oh Mr Lister everyone takes towels from hotels."

"I took the entire suite"

I was a proper little Dwarfer as a kid, in fact I still have the Tongue Tied VHS on a shelf & may even have the comic/magazine collection squirreled away somewhere.

"A man who even objects to his own defence"

The Cat: So what did you do?

Lister: Well, like, scrumping. When I was a kid back in Liverpool, we always used to go scrumping.

Kryten: Oh, stealing apples? That's hardly a crime, sir.

Lister: No, but me and my mates, we used to go scrumping for cars.

Ferrio

Banned
Would anyone like any toast?
5ZUTsOR.jpg

Watched the entire series (well, 1-8) on Netflix again about 3 months ago. Still great.

Only thing with series 7 and 8, they have the extended versions of the episodes, so some scenes or episodes have no laughter or background noise, it's quite jarring going to one scene/episode with it straight to another without it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well they kind of did. On the very hard to come by Red Dwarf Bodysnatchers DVD there are a number of story boarded episodes that were only half finished on just in early form. One of these episodes is called Bodysnatcher and for the DVD was finished off by both Doug and Rob with them sending drafts of the script back and forth to each other. You can watch the whole thing right here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YesvsRnF4As
Oh yeah, I remember watching this ages ago.

Yeah because he was bored with writing it and wanted to try things out on his own. Rob and Doug actually thought about splitting several years before that but kept going due to Red Dwarfs success.
Also Rob hasn't been very successful on his own. He doesn't really seem to know exactly what he wants to do. He's written some novels, done stand up, the odd TV show but nothing major.
Rob and Doug have sort of made up and do talk to each other now and again but there was supposedly some acrimony over the split. The Red Dwarf USA fiasco didn't help things either.
Yeah I tried watching his solo show but I don't remember anything about it... I can't imagine why he doesn't just come back to do a solo episode or something unless there's some behind the scenes thing that we'll never know about.

Watched the entire series (well, 1-8) on Netflix again about 3 months ago. Still great.

Only thing with series 7 and 8, they have the extended versions of the episodes, so some scenes or episodes have no laughter or background noise, it's quite jarring going to one scene/episode with it straight to another without it.

I remember watching those seasons sometime last year. I couldn't remember if they originally had canned laughter but something was definitely off about those episodes. Good to know I wasn't going crazy.

Two episodes into season 10 and I'm liking it. Not as funny as the older stuff (although chinese whispers and
Rimmers brother calling him an utter twat were great
) but it's definitely worth a watch.

After greatly enjoying Transformers: More than meets the eye comic series, which is about a group of Autobots using the excuse of searching for their long lost ancestors to restore their civilization to their once former glory, to merely goof off and slack off, filled with fantastic character development, great humor and moving emotional moments, and being primarily character driven, I decided the time had come to watch Red Dwarf.

Good on you, OP - Red Dwarf is a stonecold classic. One of BBC's greats, along with the likes of Blackadder (although it's nowhere near as consistant and they stopped at the right time, whereas Dwarf went on a tad too long).

And good reading with More Than Meets the Eye. Great series. I always describe it as Red Dwarf meets Star Trek, and James Roberts' clear Dwarf influences shine.

Great picks.

FunkyMonk

This never made it to australia but I had read about it. Thanks to the magic of the internet, its preserved on YT.

oh lawd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU1XYvIUOrM

to wash out the awful taste in your mouth after watching that, watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-CG6gCrPYM

Ha! I think I forgot how bad the official video was, the series version is much better, heck my band covered it occasionally... though chances are that was a worse version than DDJs music video!

The Rimmer song is just fantastic though, first time I saw that way back when I nearly passed out from laughing so hard

The Cat: So what did you do?

Lister: Well, like, scrumping. When I was a kid back in Liverpool, we always used to go scrumping.

Kryten: Oh, stealing apples? That's hardly a crime, sir.

Lister: No, but me and my mates, we used to go scrumping for cars.

Damn I need to watch that episode again, in fact I can see a series rewatch in the near future. Thinking about it though I never watched all of series 10. it was on the same night as the Dark heresy campaign I was running and we struggled finding one night we could all agree on as it was. I'll have to track it down somewhere.
!

I'm jealous OP, first watch through was always the most fun for me. I've seen the series maybe 6 times in its entirety thanks partly to KCTS marathons in the 90s. Select episodes even more. Rimmerworld is probably most favorite closely followed by Polymorph (Rimmer sans aggression is priceless).

1)Tikka to Ride (S7)
2)Quarantine (S5)
3)Gunmen Of The Apocalypse (s6)

Nice list!

I actually used clips from Tikka to Ride for an old social studies presentation I did in Middle School, that's how old that is. xD

Gunmen might have been the 4th on my list. That episode was so much fun, you could tell the guys had a blast making it!

Tizoc

Season 3 is great so far
I really like how much they can do in one episode when the focus on just 2 characters

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This is mentioned later in season 10. Details of the mention follow:

Rimmer's about to talk about what happened when he gets interrupted, and no details are given. I expect that that means they're just going to ignore or jokily allude to the gap rather than covering it.

In terms of what you need to know: You haven't missed any crucial continuity.
Which episode was that?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Also Claire Grogan is the only real Kochanski.

I used to think so but Chloë Annett has made a much larger contribution to the show and after watching the whole series multiple times I've realised she is the better Kochanski.

She's much funnier for starters.

I'd find it hard to a top 3 but let's go with

Back to Reality
"Duane Dibley?"

Dimension Jump
"Would it matter if it were... hummus?"

Future Echoes
Some great ideas in this one but its here because it was the first episode I ever saw, back in 1989 when the ABC in Australia was throwing these away on Saturday afternoons for their first screenings.

mclem

Justice is also an episode I think of very fondly. The case for Rimmer's innocence is amazing.

Fun thing that's always stuck in my mind about Justice:

The main central Justiceworld set...
zF6FU66.jpg

...was also used as the 'oil rig' set for GamesMaster.
G8H9VYR.jpg

SMG

Stop after series 6.

Jealous, you're about to hit some classics for the first time.

Nah, 5 is the real low point, the show dips after 6 but its past its worst by then.
1 and 2 are by far the best, as soon as the intro is a bunch of gurning and slay bells you know the tones gone to shit.

Nah, 5 is the real low point, the show dips after 6 but its past its worst by then.
1 and 2 are by far the best, as soon as the intro is a bunch of gurning and slay bells you know the tones gone to shit.

Agreed with series 1 and 2 being the best. Series 3 has many stand out episodes, but is inconsistent. I also didn't care for the change in set direction. Series 4 was meh to me. i kind of actually liked the StarBug episodes, but 6 and 7 were stronger than series 5. Didn't care for series 9 much. But overall, Red Dwarf is a fun show.

The original series 1 intro was the best too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQvUNqD7U8o

It was such a great use of miniature model making blended with a live action sequence. I never liked the CGI model that they replaced with the actual model, but I understand why they did it as they lost/ destroyed the original Red Dwarf model.

SMG

Agreed with series 1 and 2 being the best. Series 3 has many stand out episodes, but is inconsistent. I also didn't care for the change in set direction. Series 4 was meh to me. i kind of actually liked the StarBug episodes, but 6 and 7 were stronger than series 5. Didn't care for series 9 much. But overall, Red Dwarf is a fun show.

Growing up I started with the Bug seasons, re watched them over and over and it was much later I found out the the Red Dwarf ship was actually part of the show. I had always assumed it was just this mystical thing the viewer was never meant to see, so when I finally got to see S1 it blew me away. How dark it could get without ever having an issue with getting back to the comedy.

mclem

It was such a great use of miniature model making blended with a live action sequence. I never liked the CGI model that they replaced with the actual model, but I understand why they did it as they lost/ destroyed the original Red Dwarf model.

I'm so delighted they're back to models for the new series.

It's a thing of beauty.

I wish they'd sort out the streaming rights. It seems to rapidly go on/off Netflix, Hulu, etc.

It doesn't seem to be on any of the legitimate sub sites right now.

Tizoc

So in Season 4, I am watching Justice
I take it Holly managed to use the DNA machine to return the two to normal?

SMG

So in Season 4, I am watching Justice
I take it Holly managed to use the DNA machine to return the two to normal?

With RD its best to not care too much about continuity and all that.
At some point they change what century the show started in.

Tizoc

What other British (or otherwise) sitcoms that are character focused like Red Dwarf? I've got Faulty Towers and Blackadder in my 'to watch list' but I wouldn't mind watching some more (old) British comedy shows. Pref. something within the 'PG-13' range if that makes any sense ^^;

Plasma

Banned
What other British (or otherwise) sitcoms that are character focused like Red Dwarf? I've got Faulty Towers and Blackadder in my 'to watch list' but I wouldn't mind watching some more (old) British comedy shows. Pref. something within the 'PG-13' range if that makes any sense ^^;
Only Fools and Horses is one of the best.

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
Game On

Ade

Coupling and Men Behaving Badly?

Also on topic, I was at the filming of season 10, was one o the best nights of my life. If you ever get the chance to be in the audience, do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom