• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Resident Evil 7

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Your first playthrough of RE7 has to be in VR, it's unforgettable. It's been a long time since a horror game actually scared me but the early hours of RE7 were something else. It also gets amplified because it was my first meaty VR experience, but still. Nothing sold me on VR like RE7 did. Doing another run without it didn't feel the same, like someone else was playing. So for those holding out and are considering a VR-set in the future... wait til then to play RE7.

This is what I came to ask. Ill probably need a Xanax

Minamu

I haven't finished the game, I quit after I got the flame thrower. I'd like to return soon but I only want to play after midnight xD

I found some stuff so far goofy as well. I had a surprisingly hard time beating the first boss, I probably died 10+ times. At that point the game just wasn't scary anymore, just super annoying.

kc44135

I've never seen a game mess up incredible early potential quite as good as this game before. Most of the game before the
'''''''choice''''''
is outstanding, but then that embarrassing moment led to a downward spiral that really soured the experience. I just don't know what happened, they nailed the gameplay, atmosphere, attention to detail, graphics and setting up till that point then they do the most gamey thing ever
A completely pointless but oh-so emotional choice for the sake of it
and then it becomes tired, cliché nonsense with a stupid ending.

I want to wholeheartedly recommend the game based off of the brilliant first 6 hours but the awful last couple of hours really does spoil it all, especially for a short game that was full price.

I just don't get the criticisms of the last couple sections of the game. What's so bad about them? I loved the
Ship Section. You get to play as Mia, you get some new weapons to play around with, and before that, you're left without any weapons at all and have to avoid enemies until you build your arsenal back up. I thought this was a brilliant change of pace, as by that point in the game, Ethan had become a walking arsenal. It's also one of the most open-ended sections of the game, with some very fun and satisfying level design, Imo. As for the Mines, sure they aren't great from a design perspective, but it's the final gauntlet, and a chance to use your full arsenal without repercussions, which was incredibly fun and cathartic to me.

The only part of the game I really didn't like was
the final boss fight, because there isn't one. It's essentially a QTE, and a very lackluster way to end the game, even if it looks cool visually.
At any rate, even if you absolutely hated this stuff, I really don't see how it could ruin the game. The last two sections together are only like an hour and a half or so in length, and everything up to that point is largely agreed to be excellent. While these final sections don't quite compare to what came before, I really do think the criticism of these final sections is greatly overblown. I mean, some people are acting like it suddenly drops to Umbrella Corps. levels of quality or something, lol.

Travo

Definitely my favorite RE in a looong time. I was so pleased with the house mazes, puzzles, tension. It’s a shame that the last third turned into an action fest.

I just don't get the criticisms of the last couple sections of the game. What's so bad about them? I loved the
Ship Section. You get to play as Mia, you get some new weapons to play around with, and before that, you're left without any weapons at all and have to avoid enemies until you build your arsenal back up. I thought this was a brilliant change of pace, as by that point in the game, Ethan had become a walking arsenal. It's also one of the most open-ended sections of the game, with some very fun and satisfying level design, Imo. As for the Mines, sure they aren't great from a design perspective, but it's the final gauntlet, and a chance to use your full arsenal without repercussions, which was incredibly fun and cathartic to me.

The only part of the game I really didn't like was
the final boss fight, because there isn't one. It's essentially a QTE, and a very lackluster way to end the game, even if it looks cool visually.
At any rate, even if you absolutely hated this stuff, I really don't see how it could ruin the game. The last two sections together are only like an hour and a half or so in length, and everything up to that point is largely agreed to be excellent. While these final sections don't quite compare to what came before, I really do think the criticism of these final sections is greatly overblown. I mean, some people are acting like it suddenly drops to Umbrella Corps. levels of quality or something, lol.

Re-reading my comment it was hyperbolic which was not my intention, I was watching a football match (not a terribly interesting one but I digress) and whilst I will just have to disagree with you on how fun the penultimate section is I think I have gathered from reading about the game that the last 1/3 is considered by many to be lacklustre to say the least. I don't think that's too outrageous a thing to believe, I certainly don't think the game becomes Umbrella Corps (plays half a dozen matches of that when it was free once... it was baaaaaad lol) but it leaves a negative impact to be sure.

Which is a shame, because the initial setup and first 2 main areas of the game were fantastic.

kc44135

Re-reading my comment it was hyperbolic which was not my intention, I was watching a football match (not a terribly interesting one but I digress) and whilst I will just have to disagree with you on how fun the penultimate section is I think I have gathered from reading about the game that the last 1/3 is considered by many to be lacklustre to say the least. I don't think that's too outrageous a thing to believe, I certainly don't think the game becomes Umbrella Corps (plays half a dozen matches of that when it was free once... it was baaaaaad lol) but it leaves a negative impact to be sure.

Which is a shame, because the initial setup and first 2 main areas of the game were fantastic.

Well, that's a much more fair assessment. I do think the last third (really, it's more the last quarter) is weaker than the rest, but still enjoyed it. Anyway, agree to disagree and all that. :)

ChouGoku

I don't think this is a factor as much as people think. I played part of the game in VR before it came out and later again in VR after beating it.
Yeah beating it kinda takes things away. But doing both Kitchen and the Lantern demo (Before the game released) really don't accentuate things. At least not in the sense some are thinking.
if the game not in VR doesn't scare you I don't think the game will magically be 10x scarier in VR. That's not to say that's the case for all but I think it's probably a general rule for it.

Like i've noticed from numerous threads that those labeling the game as really scary seem to be easily scared just playing in regular mode. This is coming from someone who legit thinks even now PT is scary.

I think a large part comes from a lot of standard tropes and expectations are put into the scares. The majority are easily put together if you're any sort of horror aficionado. Like I said above the only part of the game where it managed to "scare" me was
The child's room
. Since that played to your expectations and defied them perfectly.

I would disagree with you the first time through was terrifying, especially in the beginning after the prologue. My 2nd playthrough was a joke in terms of the tension, being in the house is still creepy but knowing where all the enemies are going to be just made it much easier to move through the house.

RSB

Banned
Hopefully RE8 goes back to 3rd person perspective.
Yep, I love both classic and action RE, but I'm not a fan of the new style at all. Third person is a must for the next RE games (fixed camera for RE2 Remake and over the shoulder for RE8 would be great)

I also hope they go back to cool stylized character designs like previous games. The realistic style they went for with RE7 is just dull and boring in comparison.

+Gameplay
+Puzzles
+Tension
+Design
+Atmsophere
+- Item Management
-Tone
-Story
-Feels Light on Content

while i agree with your description of the negatives, i don't see them as such. this game, for me, was a lot like 'until dawn', in that it's fundamentally just a somewhat brief but potent dose of over-the-top, schlocky b-movie cheese, & nothing more. it doesn't aspire to, or want to, be anything more than that, & that's fine by me :) ...

Top Bottom