• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Samurai Champloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabuza

Banned
Just finished this, what a phenomenal anime. Jin, Mugen, and Fuu are some of my favorite characters in any form of media I've seen. Everything about the series just gelled. The style, animation, and especially soundtrack all come together in a fashion only Shinichirō Watanabe could pull off. I mean, damn, that soundtrack. The ending was super satisfying as well. It's just such a fun, excellent anime. Loved it.

Amazing soundtrack. http://youtu.be/OJNWvjGhBxs

Now onto Cowboy Bebop (I know, out of order) and Watanabe's other works. Hyped for Space Dandy too.

Thoughts on the series?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
tumblr_mqqh2bjS3K1rchcmuo1_400.gif

Series has some of the best music in anime history.

Esp the stuff done by Nujabes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O0kuoiAm2A

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It's alright. Actually it's better than alright compared to the vast majority of other shows. I think the biggest issue is that people (me included) expected something on par with Cowboy Bebop, and it just isn't there. It's close at times, but the one off episodes aren't as memorable and Bebop had a way better primary story.

The first episode of Samurai Champloo is pretty amazing though. It's definitely a series people should check out if they haven't seen it before, it's just that mentally it is always going to live in Cowboy Bebop's shadow for me.

I assume the English dub is decent, I haven't heard it. I remember liking Mugen's Japanese voice actor, at least. Jin was typical boring dude voice.

One of my most favorite animes ever, I seriously love everything about it. The OST is one of the most amazing things ever. Nujabes really made something there, that'll be everlasting.

Also, Mugen is badass. :3

It's alright. Actually it's better than alright compared to the vast majority of other shows. I think the biggest issue is that people (me included) expected something on par with Cowboy Bebop, and it just isn't there. It's close at times, but the one off episodes aren't as memorable and Bebop had a way better primary story.

The first episode of Samurai Champloo is pretty amazing though. It's definitely a series people should check out if they haven't seen it before, it's just that mentally it is always going to live in Cowboy Bebop's shadow for me.

I assume the English dub is decent, I haven't heard it. I remember liking Mugen's Japanese voice actor, at least. Jin was typical boring dude voice.

The dub is pretty good. It's at least not a war crime.

And yeah, I think Bebop has a better overall arc, but I think Champloo is on par in many ways. It has some great episodes that I think are incredibly memorable; namely, the episode with the painter who wants Fuu to model for him, and the gay Dutch traveler.

Zekes!

I prefer Champloo over Bebop, but samurai and hip-hop are like two of my favourite things.

The soundtrack has been a permanent part of my music rotation since I first watched it years ago in high school

Ah my bad. I watched the dub so I didn't understand the reference. I loved the dub, btw.

To be fair it's a joke that not everyone translated the same way. Pretty sure Funi subs did "centimeter," but dubbed it with him saying "sentimental" properly.

Parakeetman

I just added in a few, wasnt going to bother to search down everything. Which reminds me I need to figure out where I put my copies. As wanted to load em up on the ipod again for a long road trip ahead.

I remember after Nujabes had died was watching the prices of all the music albums he was related through shoot through the roof and glad was a fan before that. Thankfully prices are back to normal now for the most part for new fans of his music.

I respect Bebop but Samurai Champloo was far more entertaining to me. The 'serious' episodes are better in Bebop but the downtime was boring as hell in comparison.

Baseball Blues is fucking fire. Also, that one with the Tengu. The bit where it's sunset and Fuu is crying and shit because she sees a figure on the horizon and it turns out to be that
jogging dude from before
lmao

Zabuza

Banned
I respect Bebop but Samurai Champloo was far more entertaining to me. The 'serious' episodes are better in Bebop but the downtime was boring as hell in comparison.

Baseball Blues is fucking fire. Also, that with the Tengu. The bit where it's sunset and Fuu is crying and shit because she sees a figure on the horizon and it turns out to be that
jogging dude from before[/spoiler lmao
That baseball ep is hilarious.

Kaizer

Banned
Probably my favorite anime series, just for blending three of my favorite things: samurai, action & hip-hop. This series also introduced me to the TRUTH that is Nujabes, could never forget it.

I've yet to watch all of Cowboy Bebop but I'm working on it, Champloo will still probably remain my favorite just to its musical elements and more likeable setting.

Soulstar

Definitely one of my favorite TV show of any type. Everything in this show just works so perfectly and the soundtrack is amazing. I was just thinking this morning that I wanted to re watch this show.

My 2nd favorite anime of all time (1st is Bebop). The scene in episode 14 where
Mugen is dying and crossing over
is one of the greatest pieces of animation ever made, IMO.

Parakeetman

Im still let down that the manga only had 2 books. Folks may argue its actual worth, but I had found them to be amusing.

jett

D-Member
Just finished watching this. Just because it's not on par with Bebop doesn't mean it isn't fucking awesome. 'Cuz it is. Fighting scenes are spectacularly well done.

Tookay

Doesn't come together nearly as well as Bebop. The overarching story is sort of a disappointment and the characters sometimes bordered on abrasive, one-dimensional caricature.

They are some standout episodes and fight scenes though, and I generally liked the episodes with a sense of humor.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
miss this series, been feeling like rewatching it lately
edit: whats with this comparing to bebop? their like nothing alike?

Has consistently stayed in my top 3 favorite series of all time since it released. Really outstanding stuff. I alwasy thought it had better characters, music, and story arcs than Bebop. Bebop's Vicious/Spike/Julia episodes are the only ones that are really memorable IMO, wheras Champloo has a couple of really good arcs (Misguided Miscreants, Lullabies of a Lost Verse, Elegy of Entrapment, etc) . Also has one of the best ending episodes of all time IMO.

Amazing show, I might prefer it to Bebop, even though CB has the stronger ending. Mugen's midway ,,death'' might have not been as subtle as the green bird scene in Bebop, but I thought it was easily just as good.

Not really interested in a full blown comedy (Space Dandy), so I'm hoping we'll see something like this again from Watanabe afterwards. Even if it's just another copy of CB, I don't give a shit, that would still be better than most shows out there :(

Now let's listen to some Nujabes - RIP

Permanently A

miss this series, been feeling like rewatching it lately
edit: whats with this comparing to bebop? their like nothing alike?

Probably the mixture of American and Japanese culture. Cowboys and hip-hop aren't really what I associated with Japan (though I don't know if it would be correct to associate hip-hop solely with America)

I need to watch this again. One of my favorite shows, but it's been a while.

The most memorable episodes to me are the first episode, baseball, and graffiti.

Ninjimbo

I like it overall, it just doesn't hit the emotional highs of Bebop and it doesn't really have anything to say at the end of it all. That's what keeps it from reaching any real type of greatness for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom