• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP:Shin Godzilla, finally.

I thought Godzilla '14 was pretty decent. It was really about the first 20 minutes and the last 10.

That's really fucking cool. I wonder what they could do with a sequel.

Considering the marketing for 2014 and the whole of Shin are both harkening back to the original, I think that first comment is kind of odd. It isnt an arbitrary definition.

I think it's arbitrary in that people tend to bullshit quite a bit about what "real" Godzilla is as if "real" Godzilla hasn't encompassed a wide range of qualities/tones.

The marketing for 2014 and Shin are definitely trying to key into the original version of Godzilla, yes. Or rather, the general public conception of what the original Godzilla is (i.e. "it's the serious one!") but the idea that's "the real" Godzilla doesn't necessarily fly. The FIRST, yes. but those are two different things.

Shin's is infinitely more visually striking, unsettling, and awe-some in the literal sense of the word awesome

And I disagree, especially at the notion the Shin design is "infinitely" anything. It's creepier, yeah. I don't think it's more striking, visually, nor does it really inspire more awe in me.

I liked the bug-eyed guppy form it took. I thought that was the right kind of weird. But the joker-mouthed baby-armed red-velvet behemoth it became didn't impress me visually to the degree the cat-bear Godzilla in 2014 did.

I need to watch Godzilla vs Destoroyah and Biollante.

I'm going to write a retort to your argument after I finish watching this ep of The Leftovers but thanks for taking the time to write it.

I just watched All-out Attack for the first time last night after watching Shin and I thought it was pretty boring but I liked the goofy monster fights.

I really like Destoroyah. Granted, it's fairly often a big fat ALIENS riff, but it does it pretty decently.

And yeah, All Out Attack is almost entirely about the monster fights and the Godzilla design (which might be my favorite overall. It switches sometimes between that, 2014, and Godzilla against Mechagodzilla

Shin Godzilla is absolutely in my top 3 alongside the original and 84/85. And all three of those share a very similar theme with Godzilla in a very similar role.

I don't mind Godzilla as an Earth protector fighting other monsters, but they don't place as high on my list. That original G2014 teaser with footage not found in the final film had me thinking I was getting something more along the lines of the former with that Oppenheimer quote. Still very much enjoyed the movie, but it could have been in my top 3 (before having seen Shin at least lol).

Jombie

I really want to like Godzilla '14 but it's such a goddamn grating experience to me. From the awful and contrived melodrama, the token Japanese character, the washed out visuals.. it has some cool monster action at the end but it's too little too late. Godzilla is really nothing more than a deus ex machina that deals with the muto problem, and it doesn't help that the primary monsters are boring creature fodder. There's also that cringey reunion scene at the end that takes place inside a sports stadium that's acting as a makeshift triage facility -- 'we're doing subtext!'

My top ten:

GMK
Astro Monster
Gojira
Godzilla vs Destroyah
Godzilla '85
Godzilla vs Biollante
Godzilla 2000
Shin Godzilla
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
Godzilla vs King Ghidorah

Honorable mentions: Kong vs Godzilla (so bad but so good), Godzilla vs Mothra 64 & 92 and Destroy All Monsters.

Honorable mentions: Kong vs Godzilla (so bad but so good)

That's interesting, I always found it to be a pretty decent film. It's effects have aged far worse than it's 60's siblings but the comedy during the drama scenes and how it's interweaved into the monster action is brilliant. It's almost self loathing at times with it's criticisms of extreme commerciallism and consumer's need for spectacle. Also the stereo soundtrack is great, and tons of memorable motifs from it appear in other films scored by Ifukube. It gives off a bombastic vibe, and that combined with the human elements totally wins me over despite the horrible Kong suit and optical effects.

Shin Godzilla was alright for me. I don't love it or hate it, but it does have some great camera work in comparison to the other Japanese Godzilla films.

One thing that does annoy me though was that Godzilla had no real personality in this film and just walked in a straight line through half the film without reacting to anything. He just feels so lifeless like any other plot device in another film that the humans have to overcome instead of a living breathing creature.

His design for this film just lacks any subtlety and with his limited personality, it made him more boring to watch when he was onscreen for me atomic breath scenes aside.

Despera

Banned
It was decent. I believe Anno did the best he could with the $15mil budget.

The score on the other hand is just sublime.

Not a fan of Godzilla '14 or Kong Skull Island. In fact I just flat out dislike those movies.

This was pretty decent though. The soundtrack was excellent and although I found filtering the movie through a commentary on Japan post WW2, 9/11, nuclear plant messes, bureaucracy etc. was a bit dry for me i can't say they didn't pull it off well. Good on both directors. Definitely saw the Eva influence in here

Btw god damn was that first form of Godzilla revolting (but in a good way). It looked goofy but also disturbing to look at.

slyfox

I liked Godzilla 14 more. In Shin Godzilla he didn't feel terrifying and walked in a straight line for most of the movie.

G14 was so boring that by the time we got to the final act "where all the good shit happens" I was so fucking bored that I didn't care anymore.

- J - D -

I love the way it ends, particularly how that ending adds an interesting new take on Godzilla's physiology and mythology. THAT TAIL.

Shin Godzilla was alright for me. I don't love it or hate it, but it does have some great camera work in comparison to the other Japanese Godzilla films.

One thing that does annoy me though was that Godzilla had no real personality in this film and just walked in a straight line through half the film without reacting to anything. He just feels so lifeless like any other plot device in another film that the humans have to overcome instead of a living breathing creature.

His design for this film just lacks any subtlety and with his limited personality, it made him more boring to watch when he was onscreen for me atomic breath scenes aside.
To me, it seemed perfect in capturing Godzilla as a force. Many of those fantastic shots reminded me of vicariously watching natural disaster videos.

This Godzilla didn't need to play peek-a-boo over a mountain or pick up a train like in the original to give it a personality. But surviving the barrage of artillery fire and peeking out of that black smoke as it settles is a stand-out scene for me. And the mechanical/puppet-like movement works more for me than something over-animated to differentiate itself from practical effects, something so many movies are guilty of.

I liked Godzilla 14 more. In Shin Godzilla he didn't feel terrifying and walked in a straight line for most of the movie.
And in 14 he wasn't terrifying because he was the good guy.

To me, it seemed perfect in capturing Godzilla as a force. Many of those fantastic shots reminded me of vicariously watching natural disaster videos.

This Godzilla didn't need to play peek-a-boo over a mountain or pick up a train like in the original to give it a personality. But surviving the barrage of artillery fire and peeking out of that black smoke as it settles is a stand-out scene for me. And the mechanical/puppet-like movement works more for me than something over-animated to differentiate itself from practical effects, something so many movies are guilty of.

I don't see how having a personality or even the slightest semblance of being a living creature can be seen as a downside. Most Godzilla films do a pretty good job of making him out to be a unstoppable force without sacrificing other aspects of the character. I mean this Godzilla just moves and looks stiffer than the suits the series is usually mocked for. At the very least in those films, they manage to make him feel like a character versus this one where he might as well be replaced with any other natural disaster.

Don't get me wrong there's still a lot to enjoy about this film, but I feel like this is one Godzilla's weaker incarnations. Which in turn ultimately hampers some of my enjoyment of it.

And in 14 he wasn't terrifying because he was the good guy.
He wasn't a good guy in 2014; he just happened to be the lesser of two evils.

Avoiding stomping on people and buildings on your way out sounds like a good guy to me.

Killing probably thousands of people with a tsunami wave doesn't sound like a good guy to me.

Just because he doesn't seek out to kill humans personally like past Godzilla's doesn't suddenly turn him into the good guy either.

At the very least in those films, they manage to make him feel like a character versus this one where he might as well be replaced with any other natural disaster.
I think that's the point. He's literally a natural disaster that was brought upon by people. This isn't really a Godzilla you're supposed to empathize or cheer on, and it works to the films advantage.

Rymuth

Killing probably thousands of people with a tsunami wave doesn't sound like a good guy to me.

Just because he doesn't seek out to kill humans personally like past Godzilla's doesn't suddenly turn him into the good guy either.

It was an indirect action. Nothing Godzilla did in the movie was purposefully or directly made to harm humans. Hell, he could've swatted the navy fleet surrounding him but he didnt.

Face it, this is Showa-era cuddliness.

I think that's the point. He's literally a natural disaster that was brought upon by people. This isn't really a Godzilla you're supposed emphasise or cheer on, and it works to the films advantage.
That may be the point, but I don't think it works to any advantage.

It just makes Godzilla lifeless and boring to watch while he's on screen.

It was an indirect action. Nothing Godzilla did in the movie was purposefully or directly made to harm humans. Hell, he could've swatted the navy fleet surrounding him but he didnt.

Face it, this is Showa-era cuddliness.
Let me know when he begins doing gravity defying tail kicks to save children before we start calling this Showa-era cuddliness. He didn't bother going after the Navy's fleet because it's no threat to him and why should he?

It's just a waste of effort when he's only there to take out the MUTO because they're the only thing in the movie that registers as a threat to him.

HotHamBoy

It was decent. I believe Anno did the best he could with the $15mil budget.

The score on the other hand is just sublime.

You mean the score that is basically just Eva + Gojira?

I liked the music and it fit but the film has no musical identity. I've never even heard of a composer using iconic music from one of their unrelated film scores in a different movie, it's pretty weird.

I find the weird arbitrary definitions a lot of people place on what a Godzilla movie can and can't be are counterproductive in a lot of ways considering just how many different (and dumb) things Godzilla movies have been over the course of their existence. So I just set a lot of that shit to the side.

I don't think either movie is a bad movie, either. I don't understand how/why you could call them that. They're both well made films. They're not bad at all. Neither of them are anywhere near as successful as they want to be, for reasons that are pretty obvious to anyone whose ducked their head into a Godzilla conversation here more than once or twice in the past 3 years.

I don't give a shit how much money Shin cost. I didn't pay to make it, so it really doesn't matter to me.

2014 is more successful at what it's setting out to do than Shin is. That's why I like it better. It manages to stick to its tone and execute it just a bit more successfully than Shin does. Plus, even for as wooden as the acting is (and my displeasure at Gareth Edwards' "skill" with actors isn't a secret) the actors (who are mostly wasted) are putting in more interesting work (barely) than what's happening in Shin Godzilla, whose tone whiplashes artlessly from serious drama to horror to mild satire to broad comedy and back again almost as often as it switches locations and castmembers. Some people seem to regard this as a positive because they've watched a bunch of Evangelion, I guess. I dunno. I don't really give a fuck about Evangelion either, so whatever Anno handicap people keep grading this film with doesn't apply to me.

And even if you wanna grade it on a pure audio/visual/action level, 2014 has a better looking Godzilla, who does cooler shit, for a longer period of time.

I've said before, but Shin Godzilla plays like a flat episode of Parks & Rec that swaps out Little Sebastian for Demon Godzilla. And that's weird and cool except for when it's eye-rolling and tedious. Edwards' Godzilla is often dramatically inert, but it's also a movie that doesn't really depend on its people to deliver its punch, either.

I prefer 2014 to Shin. Not by much. But its enough.

Edward's film depends entirely on its people to deliver its punch and it fails because its people suck. The problem with the movie is that it wants so desperately for us to care about these small stories but we aren't buying what they're selling.

In Shin, we aren't rooting for the small people, we are rooting for the nation of Japan. If Shin does anything well it's showing us the shadow Japan has lived under and the desperate need to rise above it and take control of their own destiny.

Also, I'll happily take tonal inconsistency over constant heavy-handed, rote, dry melodrama.

Ennosuke

Saw the movie yesterday evening and to be honest I had a good time watching it. I would even say it better than the 2014 Hollywood version. They only had a small Budget, but the whole government story satire stuff was way better than this boring story of the avengers twins.

duckroll

Probably by far my favorite movie of last year. I watched it twice in the cinema and even bought the huge 100 buck production book they released (after a bunch of delays, lol) later. Everything about it just clicks together to create the unique sort of Japanese film that knows exactly what it wants to be and delivers exactly what it needs to the audience it seeks. The production materials they compiled for release also makes it clear how much of this is a pure passion project with a strong singular vision. Now if only Anno can find it in himself to do the same for Eva again... lol.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Just finished watching it. Enjoyed it, great soundtrack that I will definitely purchase on vinyl. The movie overall was definitely a bit more dry. It was still fun and tense for some parts but meandered with lots of naval gazing about rebuilding and what have we become talk. I get it, tense situation, but handle it already. I really like the design of this Godzilla even tho I do feel the CG budget was holding it back from being spectacular it was still really cool and mean looking. I was looking at a fairly large statue of the monster at a hobby shop today (which got me on the task of watching this movie today) and it really popped when it stood shoulder to shoulder with the OG, Ghidorah, 84 and a few others. It's a compelling design that I would love to see with a higher budget. Hopefully because the film won some awards we'll see something nicer looking in action next time.

As for the chatter on 2014 Godzilla, I dunno where the boring part was in that movie but I had a good time. It's a fun popcorn flick that came out during a good period in 2014 and gave me good to great action, some solid bits of drama and a human punching bag to fall his way through set pieces. I've never seen any of the Godzilla films pull off drama exceedingly well. They've always ranged from poor to fair and 2014 kept that going (Cranston aside who could elevate a sock puppet play to something incredible) well enough, but what it did deliver in was one of my favorite Godzilla designs, some fun perspectives for fights and high expectations for a wonderful monster universe. The inner kid in me burst with joy at the end of Kong, just like I did when Tony shows up at the end of The Incredible Hulk or Batman flips the evidence sleeve with the Joker card.

I'm just happy I'm getting solid movies from franchises I've loved for most of my life.

Shin Godzilla gets a solid B+

Despera

Banned
You mean the score that is basically just Eva + Gojira?

I liked the music and it fit but the film has no musical identity. I've never even heard of a composer using iconic music from one of their unrelated film scores in a different movie, it's pretty weird.
The identity you seek can be found here and here.

Every time someone mentions the film these tracks immediately play in my head. Score set the tone of the film perfectly.

HotHamBoy

The identity you seek can be found here and here.

Every time someone mentions the film these tracks immediately play in my head. Score set the tone of the film perfectly.

I'll agree that those are good. I particularly like the second track.

But the original Gojira theme and the variations of Decisive Battle completely overshadow the original music in this film.

What's particularly egregious about Devisive Battle is that it's a pretty clear swipe of John Barry's "007 takes the Lektor" from "From Russia With Love."

Decisive Battle

Spending Time In Preparation <- this is actually the variation from Eva being used in Shin Godzilla

007 takes the Lektor

Organization Formed

This movie does make me wonder what Anno would/could do with a live action Eva.

Something that looked awful. Eva v Angel battles would look terrible even with twice the budget that this film had.

I don't see how having a personality or even the slightest semblance of being a living creature can be seen as a downside. Most Godzilla films do a pretty good job of making him out to be a unstoppable force without sacrificing other aspects of the character. I mean this Godzilla just moves and looks stiffer than the suits the series is usually mocked for. At the very least in those films, they manage to make him feel like a character versus this one where he might as well be replaced with any other natural disaster.

Don't get me wrong there's still a lot to enjoy about this film, but I feel like this is one Godzilla's weaker incarnations. Which in turn ultimately hampers some of my enjoyment of it.
This Godzilla is supposed to be unstoppable walking disaster. It's not a character. You seem to have a specific idea of what a good portrayal of Godzilla should be, and because this one isn't trying to do that (ie a creature with personality, a character that's more than a city-destroying disaster, etc.), it's poorly done

Forget every other Godzilla and just consider the context of this movie. How would it having a personality or other aspects of character make it better?

I think that's the point. He's literally a natural disaster that was brought upon by people. This isn't really a Godzilla you're supposed to empathize or cheer on, and it works to the films advantage.

Llyranor

Really enjoyed watching this on the plane. Will pick up the Blu at some point.

That American accent, though......

Edward's film depends entirely on its people to deliver its punch and it fails because its people suck.

I don't think it depends on those people at all to deliver its punch because I felt the effects of it as intended in more than a few scenes and the people had nothing to do with it.

(this happens frequently in Godzilla movies. In fact the first is probably the only one with legitimately good characterization)

In Shin, we aren't rooting for the small people, we are rooting for the nation of Japan.

Kinda. Sorta. If anything, bemusement/annoyance appears to be the primary emotion being gone for in Shin. It's a satirical poke at Japan's governmental/societal/bureaucratic hangups, using Godzilla (and America's large part in his being inflicted upon them) as the means to comment. That commentary is often ironic/mocking. There's not too many people to root for in the movie. They succeed in a kind of silly way, which makes sense because everything they do is done in a kind of silly way.

I'm not saying any of this is bad or doesn't work. It does work. It just isn't good at it all the time. Half the time it's just kinda satisfied with itself for even attempting it. Much in the same way that Edwards is fine with just letting the actors stand in front of his sets and recite lines as plainly as possible.

I mean, it's good enough to make the top 5 of my all time favorites. It's not a bad movie. It's just not as good as 14, which makes my number 4.

I don't see how having a personality or even the slightest semblance of being a living creature can be seen as a downside.

I make no such claim. What I am saying is that it happens to work extremely well here. I'm judging it for what it's trying to be and not what I expect. When the images first came out, I didn't care for the design.

But then I saw this video while searching for Shin Godzilla reviews/info post American theater release and I fell in love with his design. Even with the video being on the goofy side, I saw just how great and terrifying he was and put me on the path to track this film down by any means (which lead to my thread I linked on the first page). I'm not saying having a personality is a negative. I'm saying what is done here works well for the style of movie it is.

And I agree with More_Badass here:

This Godzilla is supposed to be unstoppable walking disaster. It's not a character. You seem to have a specific idea of what a good portrayal of Godzilla should be, and because this one isn't trying to do that (ie a creature with personality, a character that's more than a city-destroying disaster, etc.), it's poorly done

Forget every other Godzilla and just consider the context of this movie. How would it having a personality or other aspects of character make it better?

I'll agree that those are good. I particularly like the second track.

But the original Gojira theme and the variations of Decisive Battle completely overshadow the original music in this film.

I can't agree with this as I have my own playlist from the OST on my ipod titled "Shin Godzilla Tragedy" (just made the playlist on YouTube to share it) which highlights its originality and own identity. It's a very operatic score:
Shin Godzilla Tragedy: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4A4N9CVqldlhFEXaLbjwbEdngtkwZRxJ
(Edit: the idea was to use only the original songs that highlighted the Godzilla/Japan conflict. I didn't want to use anything from the old flicks or any of the dozen "action meeting" songs [I found that line in the funimation special feature to be pretty funny lol])

*Shrug* It reminded me of the 60's era Godzilla flicks. Made me appreciate it and hope for more of that with the Godzilla sequel and vsKong.
It's not really close to them at all. The 60's films have a ton of optimism and use the monsters as characters to make the themes stronger. They're far more cohesive (and competent) than Kong, which shares some similarities with it's fantastical setting and a handful of just as silly events, doesn't come close to reaching the same simplicity which could tell so much more.

It's not really close to them at all. The 60's films have a ton of optimism and use the monsters as characters to make the themes stronger. They're far more cohesive (and competent) than Kong, which shares some similarities with it's fantastical setting and a handful of just as silly events, doesn't come close to reaching the same simplicity which could tell so much more.
I meant more the films featuring the protags on a monster island watching monsters fight and being in danger themselves. Sure, Kong is missing the charm and lightheartedness, but I liked the setting and set-up being different than "big city being attacked". That's all I meant by that.

I know it's not a character here which is why I found it lacking as a Godzilla incarnation. It's just my general expectation of what I want out of the title character from a monster movie. For him to actually be an interesting character to watch when he's onscreen otherwise he could be anything else. With Godzilla having no character for this film, it's then up to human characters to carry it for me, and they did nothing for me either. Which is why I didn't enjoy the film as much as I wanted to.

To clarify in the grand scheme of things, him having a character doesn't influence the actual movie in terms of quality which is why I called it an annoyance rather than a major film flaw in my original post.

I know it's not a character here which is why I found it lacking as a Godzilla incarnation. It's just my general expectation of what I want out of the title character from a monster movie. For him to actually be an interesting character to watch when he's onscreen otherwise he could be anything else. With Godzilla having no character for this film, it's then up to human characters to carry it for me, and they did nothing for me either. Which is why I didn't enjoy the film as much as I wanted to.

To clarify in the grand scheme of things, him having a character doesn't influence the actual movie in terms of quality which is why I called it an annoyance rather than a major film flaw in my original post.
I think those of us who are attached to ShinG are also more attached to the original which shares the same non-characterization as Shin and relied on what the humans said about it more than Godzilla showing a personality. The original idea was Godzilla being destruction incarnate which changed after that. As for your last point, my apologies. We all have our preferences and we're all too quick to defend lol. If Shin happened to be a Final Wars 2, I'd be disappointed and annoyed too.

qcf x2

Godzilla 2014 was a snorefest. Like 3 minutes of Godzilla doing Godzilla things and a couple hours of talking.

I watched Shin Godzilla last night for the first time since seeing it in theaters and it's honestly my favorite thus far. It's far from perfect, with some really, really bad acting in spots, logical gaps and some weird cuts, but 2 out of those 3 are standard for the franchise.

I can't wait to see what happens next, when he's really pissed and probably fighting Mothra or something similar.

Godzilla 2014 was a snorefest. Like 3 minutes of Godzilla doing Godzilla things and a couple hours of talking.

I watched Shin Godzilla last night for the first time since seeing it in theaters and it's honestly my favorite thus far. It's far from perfect, with some really, really bad acting in spots, logical gaps and some weird cuts, but 2 out of those 3 are standard for the franchise.

You know what else is standard for the series?

3 minutes of Godzilla doing Godzilla things and a couple hours of talking.

I don't even know where to ask this but which other Godzillas and "spinoffs" are a must watch?

by spinoffs I mean Mothra and the like.

The Mysterians, Mothra, Rodan, Atragon, Frankenstein Conquers The World, and War Of The Gargantuas range from decent to good. Matango is really good but it's a bit of horror film and less of a monster film. It has a ton of the same actors as the Godzilla films and it's directed by Ishiro Honda.

You know what else is standard for the series?

3 minutes of Godzilla doing Godzilla things and a couple hours of talking.
Yeah but those movies don't last as long as G14 either.

The Mysterians, Mothra, Rodan, Atragon, Frankenstein Conquers The World, and War Of The Gargantuas range from decent to good. Matango is really good but it's a bit of horror film and less of a monster film. It has a ton of the same actors as the Godzilla films and it's directed by Ishiro Honda.

Thanks.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Shin Godzilla was much better than G14. SG throws stuff at the wall and it doesn't always stick but there was a nice spirit of creativity and some genuine verve to the direction. Edwards' movie had one good scene and was just totally boring and incompetent otherwise.

HotHamBoy

I just rewatched Gojira (1954) for the first time in many years and I'll be damned if he doesn't have googly eyes. Shin's G is very much modeled after the original. The way he moves, the pulpy face and teeth, etc.

There are scenes where it's a hand puppet and I feel like Shin emulates those movements, too.

N2OXu2j.jpg

godzilla-breath.jpg

I just rewatched Gojira (1954) for the first time in many years and I'll be damned if he doesn't have googly eyes. Shin's G is very much modeled after the original. The way he moves, the pulpy face and teeth, etc.

There are scenes where it's a hand puppet and I feel like Shin emulates those movements, too.

N2OXu2j.jpg

godzilla-breath.jpg
You get it. That is what I compare all others to and Shin comes the closest.

Has anyone watched through Shin Godzilla in black and white? I'd love for a legit re-release in theaters and on disc in b&w but I've been wanting to tweak some settings and try it on my own.

Top Bottom