• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP:Shin Godzilla, finally.

Seventy70

Godzilla '14 was fantastic. I really don't understand how anyone can call it a "snorefest". Maybe it's more about the way you watch it. If you watch it on an little LCD using the built in speakers, it takes away half of what the movie is supposed to be. I watched it recently and it was very suspenseful. The production is top notch and you could feel the intensity of the monsters. The audio effects are some of the best I've heard in any movie.

phanphare

Banned
Godzilla '14 was fantastic. I really don't understand how anyone can call it a "snorefest". Maybe it's more about the way you watch it. If you watch it on an little LCD using the built in speakers, it takes away half of what the movie is supposed to be. I watched it recently and it was very suspenseful. The production is top notch and you could feel the intensity of the monsters. The audio effects are some of the best I've heard in any movie.

the second half of that movie was as meh as it gets for me

I was in as fuck for the beginning and on with the uncovering the mystery stuff and father son redemption team up and then poof it all went away

Just saw it, if you like a lot of scenes of a bunch of people walking down hallways and talking to each other without making eye contact this is your movie.
I put it on par or slightly below Godzilla 2014.

Just saw it, if you like a lot of scenes of a bunch of people walking down hallways and talking to each other without making eye contact this is your movie.
Imagine something that you're really into being described by someone who doesn't know anything about it. This reads like that with Godzilla films.

What, the various meeting rooms weren't worthy enough for a mention?
Pfft. =P

...no one found the lead female character's forced - and nigh unintelligible - English annoyingly contrived?

The lines about her being the future president of the US had me rolling my eyes.
(But then again, Trump is in office so what do I know.)

Easily the most unlikeable and unconvincing character in the movie.

...no one found the lead female character's forced - and nigh unintelligible - English annoyingly contrived?

The lines about her being the future president of the US had me rolling my eyes.

She's fine, I wouldn't expect a Japanese actress to speak perfect English.

watershed

Banned

I think everyone noticed, it just wasn't that big a deal for me. She doesn't speak English well and she's trying to do a capital A American accent. But this is a Japanese film made for a Japanese audience so it probably works in that context.

HotHamBoy

I mean, if you are an English-language native, sure. To the average Japanese movie-goer she probably sounded convincing.

She's no Ken Watanabe
lol

It is pretty ridiculous that she would be a viable presidential candidate, even if her English was native.

Now, all that said, I think her character is important to the film - specifically her heritage - as a diplomat from the US. Cuz, you know, they want to nuke Tokyo.

Because the characters are dull, generic, unconvincing and not compelling. Which would be fine if the movie didn't have such a grinding pace focusing on those characters.

HotHamBoy

I'm just happy that Shin avoided hamfisted family drama and save-the-cat (or little kid, in this case) bullshit.

Like 4 times.

Sorta surprised the John Barry estate hasn't filed suit.

It's a blatant swipe but it's probably not really worth the hassle of trying to make a case out of it.

Besides, the NGE version is more well-known and has been around for 20+ years

HotHamBoy

It's my first time hearing that John Barry track after hearing the Eva version so many times. It sounds off to me.

I think Decisive Battle hews pretty close but it does do some different stuff, particularly with the lead horns and the accompanying strings. He isolates that timpani drum more and makes it more resounding. But Shiro basically just expanded and elaborated on ideas that were already there.

Of course, I prefer Shiro's track :)

aechris

I saw it in the theatres but cancelled my preorder for the Blu when I heard they removed the Japanese text from the bottom of the screen. Maybe that makes me a weeb but I loved having the departments/names of people displayed on repeat and changing constantly. I don't know if I'd get the same vibe from having it in subtitle font.

Similar to Yakuza 0 - they changed the confrontation text from Japanese with subtitles to just English and I felt it kinda took away from the experience.

I saw it in the theatres but cancelled my preorder for the Blu when I heard they removed the Japanese text from the bottom of the screen. Maybe that makes me a weeb but I loved having the departments/names of people displayed on repeat and changing constantly. I don't know if I'd get the same vibe from having it in subtitle font.

Similar to Yakuza 0 - they changed the confrontation text from Japanese with subtitles to just English and I felt it kinda took away from the experience.

Yeah, the Japanese titles play a pretty significant role in the film's visuals and story telling. I heard the Australian Blu Ray has them, so I'm definitely importing that one instead.

Fox Mulder

I just don't really like the tone. The Japanese films have unique charm. Even Kong Skull Island feels like a response to the complaints of how dark and bland Godzilla 2014 was.

I'll put Shin Godzilla in my top three.

The English dub elevates her character with a better performance. People were laughing at her when I watched it in the theater.

DiscoJer

I don't disagree, but at the same time it beats many other Godzilla movies that feature Americans they apparently just randomly picked off the streets of Tokyo. A Japanese actress that has imperfect English is much better than an American actor with perfect English and can't act even in the slightest.

Or for that matter, Nick Adams.

While the berry theme has some similar beats. Shiros version does alot more diffrent stuff with it, enough to be considered very different

While the berry theme has some similar beats. Shiros version does alot more diffrent stuff with it, enough to be considered very different

It's not very different at all.

It's like when a commercial jingle changes three notes from a recognizable song because it doesn't wanna pay licensing for the song they're obviously ripping off.

Cheezus

I got to see it in theatres, and then got the Blu-Ray last night. Unbelievably good movie.

Everybody laughs at googly-eyed Godzilla, but nobody laughs at atomic breath Godzilla.

And that ending shot still spooks me.

Googly eyed Godzilla actually looks creepier than regular eyed Godzilla because it looks more mindless, like a fish. You can tell just from looking at it that it can't be reasoned with.

I finally watched this yesterday and absolutely adored it. But seriously wtf was with the
tail at the end
?!

Googly eyed Godzilla actually looks creepier than regular eyed Godzilla because it looks more mindless, like a fish. You can tell just from looking at it that it can't be reasoned with.

I finally watched this yesterday and absolutely adored it. But seriously wtf was with the
tail at the end
?!

The remains of a post-Hiroshima clean-up?

This was by far my favourite Goji design in a while.

She is a combination of 2 common tropes within Japanese media that is so common it didn't bother me at all.
Honestly even
falls into it a bit

thenexus6

Watched it last night had a great time. Alot of talking but I didn't mind it actually.

I do think his tail was too long / big though.

MrChom

Managed to catch Shin Godzilla last night. Absolutely loved it, as someone said it's the West Wing vs Godzilla. The film was pacey, well shot, and (some really dodgy CG aside) a really good Kaiju movie overall.

It did kind of beat you over the head with nationalism, and the theme of the old needing to give way to youth and innovation in the face of problems they are not equipped to solve (It even has a dig at Abe's aim to free up the SDF to take on a bigger role by suggesting it's not the solution), but I can get behind a little of that as a message.

I came back, started telling friends and all they said was I had a childlike gleam in my eye when I was describing a lot of the film, and that's exactly right. Godzilla films should be compelling, powerful, AND deliver a message. Godzilla CAN be a character but here he is a force of nature....unstoppable, unknowable, and totally badass.

I'm a sucker for good Kaiju. I've only recently rewatched Godzilla 2014, Kong: Skull Island, and Pacific Rim....this provides that Kaiju movie with with a totally unique feel. Like all those others I love it but it is a hell of a high-paced ride at points because of Anno's insistence actors speak at a more natural pace, and the limited introductions people are given (as most of them already know each other).

Bluth54

Yeah her English was pretty bad but honestly it didn't really bother me that much, I'm sure with US shows and movies there's a lot of non-native speakers of foreign languages that do a pretty poor job of speaking that foreign language. If you're US based you just don't hear it happen with English that often.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Saw it last night in cinemas. Really, really enjoyed it. More than G2014, and I enjoyed that movie a whole bunch too.

Really liked the political side of things; reminded me in the beginning a whole lot of The Thick of It, if not in the number of swears but more the cynical look at the way the government responded to the crisis. They did the "non-Godzilla" part of the film very well.

It might be my inner weeaboo talking, but I liked how much of a Japanese Godzilla it was. From the homages to the original 1954 film (the music, even a large portion of the sound effects like the roars, footstomps, and gunfire) and the "homages"/cribbing from Anno's previous work. I enjoyed the strange out of place humour in some parts (
his poor noodles
), the cinematography (some of the way it was shot reminded me of Edgar Wright's way of quick-cutting actions - the meeting room setup for example).

Even
the way they defeated Godzilla felt quintessentially Japanese; bombarding him with commuter trains then having a bunch of serious men squirt strange liquid into his face

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Finally watched this last night, the wait was worth it.

This is literally the most broken version of godzilla I dont see how they could ever do another monster vs him if they do a sequel he's too bullshit on the power scale.

It's basically like they fused Destroyah and Godzilla into one monster for Shin Godzilla

The evolving, the fact they mentioned it can fucking split off parts of it self and make more of it, they hinted it could grow fucking wings, not to mention the power on display in the movie. Final Wars godzilla might have done a awesome ass dbz like final attack but yeah Shin Would have just punched a hole through final wars godzilla in a second and sliced him to bits

Top Bottom