• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Sonic 06

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Man, that Akon remix of Sweet sweet sweet was weird (and a bit sacrilegious). How on earth that that pairing come about?

Mael

Christopher said:
IT WAS A GOOD GAME DAMIT - it was just very rushed and felt sloppy I feel with a re release it could be a lot better in the future. The music was great as well as the graphics the awful loading time and buggy gameplay killed it.

PFAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAH
There's 1 thing to save in the disaster called Sonic 06 : the music.
EVERYTHING else can go to the garbage bin, and I mean everything.
Heck when they had more time to work on it(ps3 version) they screwed it up even more!

Rikkun

Oh Gaffity-GAF, I'm boarding this lonely train.

HypeTrain.jpg

I wanted to save a little moneys for Uncha3 but I guess I'll have to search for a copy of Sonic 2006 instead. Hopefully I'll come back home sunday with it.

And you are the only one to blame.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Rikkun said:

HypeTrain.jpg

I wanted to save a little moneys for Uncha3 but I guess I'll have to search for a copy of Sonic 2006 instead. Hopefully I'll come back home sunday with it.

Uncharted 3 got an 8/10 from Eurogamer, Sonic 2006 got a 9.5 from PLAY. Sounds like you made the right choice.

Rikkun

Andrex said:
Uncharted 3 got an 8/10 from Eurogamer, Sonic 2006 got a 9.5 from PLAY. Sounds like you made the right choice.

So this could be even better than Generations.. And at a lower price! I could cancel my limited edition preorder from Amazon and save 60£.. I feel so lucky, thanks for the stealth tip Andrex!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
FreeMufasa said:
I just remembered something. Wtf did Elsa have orange legs during gameplay. Creeped the fuck out of me.

That always super annoyed me too. Like a bad spray-on tan.

qq more

Mael said:
PFAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAH
There's 1 thing to save in the disaster called Sonic 06 : the music.
EVERYTHING else can go to the garbage bin, and I mean everything.
Heck when they had more time to work on it(ps3 version) they screwed it up even more!
Seriously, I can't believe anyone would consider this game good.

Ozone

Rikkun said:

http://www.gametech.ru/userpics/7574/upload/HypeTrain.jpg

I'm calling your bluff. Picture of the open box with the disc and your username written on a piece of paper or it didn't happen.

No sane person would do this while knowing exactly what they're getting themselves into.

Undubbed

I LOVED playing the demo on the 360, and the "mach speed" levels looked pretty damn fun at the time. I still don't quite understand why that demo was so hated, even after I played and hated the full game.

I tried to like the game, because I had so much fun on the demo, but no...it sucked ballz. Major Ballz.

The level where the demo took place was where I pretty much stopped. I HATED that they just automatically forced characters on to you! Hey, assholes! When I pick sonic, I want to friggin' play Sonic! When Sega forced me to play Silver, I just said, "screw it" and immediately sold it after that.

Hated the super long load times and hard to control sonic too.

MechaX

qq more said:
Seriously, I can't believe anyone would consider this game good.

You know, usually I would be like "hey, that's just their opinion man", but with things like Sonic 06 and Superman 64, games that are as close to "objectively poorly made" as you can get, I dunno. I mean, I guess people out there can like shit, but shit is still shit. It's not like Nier where I can clearly see how and why people love it and hate it. But thinking this game is good? This... I... I do not comprehend.

qq more

MechaX said:
You know, usually I would be like "hey, that's just their opinion man", but with things like Sonic 06 and Superman 64, games that are as close to "objectively poorly made" as you can get, I dunno. I mean, I guess people out there can like shit, but shit is still shit. It's not like Nier where I can clearly see how and why people love it and hate it. But thinking this game is good? This... I... I do not comprehend.
Exactly my thoughts.

Hell, I'm guilty of liking Sonic 3D Blast and Knuckles Chaotix. Shit games but I find them enjoyable somehow. And I can see people liking Sonic Heroes, as much as I hate that game.

But then... there's Sonic 06.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
FreeMufasa said:
Yeah that's what I thought but I remember them looking normal in CG and then bright orange during gameplay lol.

JaExT.jpg

PIZC7.jpg

OH SHIT SHE WAS A GHOST
BUT SONIC OBTAINS TO HANDLE HER
HOW

MechaX

Professor Beef said:
Sonic 3D Blast isn't a shit game. :(

After coming back to it a few years ago... yeah, the game is shit.

But I still liked it enough to 100% it on both the Genesis and Saturn versions. Dat Saturn soundtrack.

Anth0ny

So I just finished Sonic's story. A couple of things to note:

I've been thinking... I may be avoiding all these bottomless pits and glitches because I'm coming off of playing REmake for the first time. That game requires you to take your damn time and be very cautious with everything you do. Also, it has TONS of loading times, and if you die, they send your ass back to the last time you saved at the typewriter, which is usually quite far back.

Should I be approaching a Sonic game the same way I approach a god damn survival horror game? Fuck no. But that's Sonic 06 for ya.

-Probably the most frustrating part of the game for me so far was the challenges. Once again, solidifying the fact that they did not test this game even once before burning it to discs and sending it to stores.

The portal challenge was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. I had, and still have, no idea what happened during that stage. I just kept jumping through portals until I beat the stage. At least every portal didn't have a loading time when you jump through it.

Next was the no rings challenge. I happened to die on this one. BAD IDEA. LOADING LOADING LOADING next is the no rings challenge LOADING LOADING LOADING good luck sonic it's not easy LOADING LOADING LOADING LOADING 45 seconds of gameplay, I die LOADING LOADING LOADING see? I told you it wasn't easy! LOADING LOADING LOADING want to try the no rings challenge again? LOADING LOADING LOADING good luck sonic it isn't easy LOADIFUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

I was ready to throw my controller out the god damn window. But luckily, I beat it the next try.

Then was... the love challenge? What in the name of fuck was that all about? Either I save Elise or Amy, and since I'm not a fan of the whole interspecies undertone of the game, I went with Amy-chan. Moving along...

-The stage with lots of bottomless pits had lots of bottomless pits. Quite annoying. Then, I take control of Silver. Oh, the horror! Well, I have to say, it wasn't too bad. But it was only a segment of a stage. I'm not looking forward to Silver's story...

Top it all off with a mach speed segment. Of course! If I died, I would have had to play through that entire, long god damn stage again. So I beat it on my second try ;)

-I liked the final stage. Aquatic lab, was it? Pretty fun, even the Tails and Knuckles segments weren't too bad. By this point of the game, I've mastered all three character's shitty controls. I got this.

The final boss was the white ranger's Megazord from Power Rangers:

P4204743.jpg

Pretty easy boss.

what followed was one of the most hilariously bad cut scenes I've ever seen:

Worst_Elise2--article_image.jpg

Worst_Elise5--article_image.jpg

You get in that ass, Sonic...

Finally, the credits. I have no idea how this came to mind to the dev team. "Remember that awesome song that played during the ending to Sonic 2? Let's remix that for this game. Someone call Akon." The fuck? It seems so inappropriate. First of all, it totally sticks out in a soundtrack full of shitty pop rock. Next, of all the games to grab a song from Sonic 2, it's this one? Probably the Sonic game furthest detached from the series' roots on the Genesis. I would have expected something like this during the credits of Sonic "4" or Generations, to be honest. Did half of the game's budget go to Akon? How did they record it in time?

And then they decide to ruin the song from the title screen. I actually liked that tune... without lyrics. It sounded awful.

And so, that ends my adventure... or does it? I've finished Sonic's segment of the game, and I wish I could put this game down. But no. There are two more hedgehogs left. Shadow and Silver await. Look forward to it

IN DECEMBER 2011

So I just picked up Kirby. Generations is out on Tuesday. Then Mario 3DS, and then Zelda. There isn't a snowballs chance in hell I'm torturing myself with this game during November, with all these other amazing games all out at the same time. But don't worry, I won't break my promise. Will Shadow and Silver be as bad as GAF makes it out to be? Or did they over react, like they did with Sonic's segment? Find out in a month ;)

I really want to buy this used so I can play it over at my friends' house one night. How long is the entire story if we wanted to beat the whole thing a la the pokecapn LP? Also assume that I am really good at platformers.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
CoffeeJanitor said:
I really want to buy this used so I can play it over at my friends' house one night. How long is the entire story if we wanted to beat the whole thing a la the pokecapn LP? Also assume that I am really good at platformers.

Like... 20 hours, I think? It's a pretty damn long and padded game. Apparently 2 and 1/2 hours of the Pokecapn LP were loading screens.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
I worked in Sega's QA department when this one came in for European localization. It was assigned to one person with only two months left until release, and I remember a lot of head shaking and sad looks were coming from their direction.

There wasn't much they could do for it when management were adamant that it should be released in time for Sonic's 15th Anniversary.

Sega are in a much better place now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Anth0ny said:
-The stage with lots of bottomless pits had lots of bottomless pits. Quite annoying. Then, I take control of Silver. Oh, the horror! Well, I have to say, it wasn't too bad. But it was only a segment of a stage. I'm not looking forward to Silver's story...
It begins! (I think.)

Approaching the game like a survival horror title is probably a good idea, actually...

CoffeeJanitor said:
About 20-25 hours, I believe. And definitely play this with friends if you want to have a better time. MST3King this might be a good thing.

Cataferal said:
I worked in Sega's QA department when this one came in for European localization. It was assigned to one person with only two months left until release, and I remember a lot of head shaking and sad looks were coming from their direction.
Hahahahaha! Being assigned to QA this monstrosity must've been terrible. :(

Throavium

Andrex said:
Ohhh man, I was just watching this. Anth0ny, you haven't even started to scratch the surface of hell.
I didn't get this far in the game so I don't know what the eye is supposed to do. Is it supposed to kill the character? From what it looks like the characters are dieing when they get close to the eye.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Throavium said:
I didn't get this far in the game so I don't know what the eye is supposed to do. Is it supposed to kill the character? From what it looks like the characters are dieing when they get close to the eye.

It's a gravity vortex thing that sucks the character towards it and insta-kills whatever it touches. It also shoots deadly crates across the levels right at the character.

Throavium

Andrex said:
It's a gravity vortex thing that sucks the character towards it and insta-kills whatever it touches. It also shoots deadly crates across the levels right at the character.
That's sounds like a hassle, why were there so many of them in so many different stages?

TheOGB

Banned
It's one big mash-up level featuring everyone* across all the levels. Like a boss rush, but with the levels.

*Excluding Sonic because he
DIED

Edited for sensitive material

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TheOGB said:
It's one big mash-up level featuring everyone* across all the levels. Like a boss rush, but with the levels.

Excluding Sonic because he are died

Spoilers! For Anth0ny lol.

WillyFive

MAtgS said:
The Falconzord was not a megazord by itself. What a noob.

Falconzord? Don't you mean the Kakuranger Tsubasamaru? Who's the n00b now?
Sentai snobs are lame.

Forkball said:
Is this game seriously worse than Sonic and the Secret Rings?

Huh?

Sonic and the Secret Rings is a masterpiece next to this game.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Sonic 06 was the best looking Beta I've ever played.

No, seriously though. It's gotta be a huge letdown to be an artist at Sega when all your amazing hard work is shit down the drain by the monkeys that are programming the game. The game, graphically, looks amazing.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Forkball said:
Is this game seriously worse than Sonic and the Secret Rings?

Secret Rings makes a few less-than-ideal game design choices, but I never had it glitch on me, and it's extremely fun to play at times. The upgrade system is lame at first, and the levels are seriously padded by being reused so much, but there was nothing really wrong with Secret Rings when you get down to it. Sonic 2006 is just a broken, utter mess that fails on every level except music.

LAUGHTREY said:
Sonic 06 was the best looking Beta I've ever played.

No, seriously though. It's gotta be a huge letdown to be an artist at Sega when all your amazing hard work is shit down the drain by the monkeys that are programming the game. The game, graphically, looks amazing.

Not really. Everything is low poly, flat, and they try to distract you with bloom but it doesn't work. "Lifeless" is a great descriptor of the graphics.

Unleashed looks better, Colors looks better, Secret Rings looks better.

The only ones who should feel let down are those who did the music.

Top Bottom