• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Spec Ops: The Line (I am Sick) [SPOILERS]

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Do I have a false memory or did Walker become more of a belligerent asshole over the course of the game OUTSIDE of cutscenes as well? I remember on Chapter 14 Adams was downed and when I went to go revive him, he thanked me but Walker said something along the lines of "Shut up and get back up already." He also talked more aggressively whenever I would kill something, like "kill FUCKING confirmed" or "that heavy is FUCKING DOWN" . Whenever I would mark something for Lugo he would say something similar to "TAKE OUT THAT FUCKING GUY ALREADY! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!"

It's like the opposite of Resident Evil 5 and 6 where your partner is always like "I got your back ^_^" or "Come on! :0". Even Wesker would say "Much appreciated." whenever you play co-op and give him ammo lol

The strains of war and how things changed.

antitrop

Do I have a false memory or did Walker become more of a belligerent asshole over the course of the game OUTSIDE of cutscenes as well? I remember on Chapter 14 Adams was downed and when I went to go revive him, he thanked me but Walker said something along the lines of "Shut up and get back up already." He also talked more aggressively whenever I would kill something, like "kill FUCKING confirmed" or "that heavy is FUCKING DOWN" . Whenever I would mark something for Lugo he would say something similar to "TAKE OUT THAT FUCKING GUY ALREADY! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!"

It's like the opposite of Resident Evil 5 and 6 where your partner is always like "I got your back ^_^" or "Come on! :0". Even Wesker would say "Much appreciated." whenever you play co-op and give him ammo lol
We've been discussing this as one of the more interesting and well-designed aspects of the game throughout this thread. Good on you for picking up on it.

fushi

That was one of my favorite "little touches" of the game. I am really surprised how almost no other game seems to have done this before. The closes thing I can recall is the changes to Wanda's general appearance in Shadow of the Colossus.

zkylon

zkylewd
Finished getting all the achievements save for the Suicide/FUBAR ones. So far have 21 hours logged into the game (just singleplayer... the multiplayer looks horrible from the videos I've seen), and I'm still entertained.

The ending was still as impactful the second time around! Overall my only gripe with the presentation is when Walker justifies his actions to his squad, like "Konrad is responsible for this! He WILL pay!" or "I had no choice, Konrad forced my hand!" It just feels a little heavyhanded and contrived, I don't like the way he delivers the lines. But the story is otherwise fantastic, and stands up to scrutiny on a second playthrough.

Gonna start up the Suicide run now. I'm kind of nervous about it... there are some scenarios that I REALLY disliked, and those were whenever I was left without my teammates. Those parts were a bitch to get through, I can't imagine them being harder. Also, I HATE the Heavies. Those bastards are impossible to beat before they close in on you!
It's not THAT hard, but it'll be rough. Just use your squad A LOT on the first chapters and play safe.

For heavies, best strategy is to just use all your explosives on them.

I suppose I might need to take some "art appreciation" classes in college...
One thing to know is that girls in those classes are nuuuuuuuuuuuuutsssssss...

This is also the first year my GOTY has come anywhere even close to Yahtzee. In fact, could anyone have EVER predicted Yahtzee giving his game of the year to a third person cover based modern military shooter? LUDICROUS!
From his reviews, it seemed like the only game Yahtzee really liked all year.

antitrop

Seeing how pissed off Walker gets at merely even having to reload his rifle magazine at the end of the game is quite telling. Other games need to do this shit; Not all, but wherever it may be appropriate.

zkylon

zkylewd
Seeing how pissed off Walker gets at merely even having to reload his rifle magazine at the end of the game is quite telling. Other games need to do this shit; Not all, but wherever it may be appropriate.
While I think that'd be cool, I'd really like it systemized.

Like on a horror game, the more frightened your character the more shaky his voice gets and he maybe drops the clip when trying to reload, etc.

You can mix the two for maximum awesomeness.

Kammie

My favorite part towards the end is when he just starts screaming, "FUCK YOU!!!"

lol

Great stuff.

And yeah, that one weapon where he was like "This is just slowing me down," the one that the Heavies carry--great weapon, but holy crap, it's like five seconds of reload. It made me impatient, too.

antitrop

While I think that'd be cool, I'd really like it systemized.

Like on a horror game, the more frightened your character the more shaky his voice gets and he maybe drops the clip when trying to reload, etc.

You can mix the two for maximum awesomeness.
Fantastic idea, but I think games like Far Cry 2 with the random weapon jams proved that people like some consistency in their game mechanics.

gabbo

Fantastic idea, but I think games like Far Cry 2 with the random weapon jams proved that people like some consistency in their game mechanics.

There has got to be a way to make such mechanics work, or explain why such things will end up occurring so it doesn't raise peoples ire to the nth degree

zkylon

zkylewd
My favorite part towards the end is when he just starts screaming, "FUCK YOU!!!"

lol

Great stuff.

And yeah, that one weapon where he was like "This is just slowing me down," the one that the Heavies carry--great weapon, but holy crap, it's like five seconds of reload. It made me impatient, too.
Yeah, the FUCK YOU in particular is pretty great. The delivery is great, it really makes me feel his state of mind.

Yeah, predictability is a feeling most people expect in games, but I feel like there's room to do something there.

At least I really liked that aspect of Far Cry 2.

antitrop

Yeah, the FUCK YOU in particular is pretty great. The delivery is great, it really makes me feel his state of mind.

Yeah, predictability is a feeling most people expect in games, but I feel like there's room to do something there.

At least I really liked that aspect of Far Cry 2.
Don't get me wrong, just because Far Cry 2 fucked it up doesn't mean there isn't room to do it correctly by a more competent developer in a better game.

I think elements of implementing "battle fatigue" (different than PTSD) into video games could be really, really cool. Spec Ops just laid the groundwork, someone else needs to come in and carry that torch and take it to the next level.

zkylon

zkylewd
Don't get me wrong, just because Far Cry 2 fucked it up doesn't mean there isn't room to do it correctly by a more competent developer in a better game.

I think elements of implementing "battle fatigue" (different than PTSD) into video games could be really, really cool. Spec Ops just laid the groundwork, someone else needs to come in and carry that torch and take it to the next level.
Hmm, I got a couple free weeks from work, I think I'm gonna prototype doing something with unpredictable elements in core gameplay.

It'll turn out to be shit no question about it :p

Real developers I think should embrace that feeling a bit more. Adding a bit of randomness to your core systems can make trivially clearing a room into a pretty messy thing if one of your grenades just doesn't blow up. It has to be tightened a lot so it doesn't feel like you have no control over what's happening but I always like how things can get turned into their head by making them unpredictable.

elcapitan

Walker getting increasingly more aggressive was a nice touch because I was feeling it too. The difficulty ramped up a bit towards the end and it was getting frustrating for me, so I was thinking the exact same things he was saying.

AwShucks

I really want to replay this...but my back log is already so long as it is. I think the second playthrough must be pretty interesting knowing what's actually going on. Just thinking back on it makes my mind go crazy. That's one thing I wish the game did more, was show us more of the "flashback" scenes once the reveal happens.

I suppose I might need to take some "art appreciation" classes in college...

No need, just spout random bullshit like me.

FC2's weapon problem was that they jammed far too frequently to the point of absurdity, and would explode after 8 magazines pumped through it or something. Bad implementation.

If I was remaking The Line, I'd have fewer enemies to face, with a bigger focus on scavanging in the city and more interaction with NPCs outside of blasting them. A bit more realism all round would be a nice touch.

antitrop

Walker's reactions reminded me of the squad freaking out in F.E.A.R.(my favorite FPS).
Oh, absolutely I think F.E.A.R. deserves mention here. I actually forgot about that, but you're right, that game did do that.

That's one thing I wish the game did more, was show us more of the "flashback" scenes once the reveal happens.
I agree wholeheartedly, I think there is room to expound upon that.

zkylon

zkylewd
2K really was crazy.

I mean, there's no way there's gonna be another Spec Ops game down the line (sorry). Having another serious game about war-being-horrible would be pretty weird and going back to SOCOM clones doesn't really work either. And it didn't sell well enough, I gather.

It's really weird that 2K decided that this was where they wanted to take the franchise, because it's basically turning it into the ground and killing it forever.

2K really was crazy.

I mean, there's no way there's gonna be another Spec Ops game down the line (sorry). Having another serious game about war-being-horrible would be pretty weird and going back to SOCOM clones doesn't really work either. And it didn't sell well enough, I gather.

It's really weird that 2K decided that this was where they wanted to take the franchise, because it's basically turning it into the ground and killing it forever.
From the sound of it, 2K really interfered with the production. So this wasn't really a case of them trying to do something new/creative. They likely hoped that a tacked on multiplayer mode would be enough to make the franchise somewhat relevant (commercially) again.

antitrop

I never cared about Spec Ops in my life before this and now I'll never forget the brand. Something was accomplished.
I actually remember being mildly anticipated for the very first Spec Ops game (Rangers Lead the Way) in 1998. I was like 13. Then I got Rainbow Six for Christmas, while also reading the PC Gamer review for Spec Ops RLTW and never thought twice about it. I can't remember or even find the score they gave it on Google, but from memory it was below 50%. The seven games that came out after that in the next four years were progressively worse, even.

If someone time-traveled to 2002 and told me the best game of 2012 was going to be an entry in the Spec Ops franchise I would have thought them an insane person, someone to be mocked and dismissed without consideration.

zkylon

zkylewd
But really, how can they follow this game?

Going back into the same road might feel exploitative and doing something "normal" would make The Line angry.

And yeah I had no idea there was such thing as a Spec Ops franchise before this one, so in some way it worked.

I just have trouble imagining a sequel.

Jintor

That is consistent though if it's tied to a horror mechanic. It sounds almost like the sanity effects in Eternal Darkness.

Of course, a game that gets harder to play the worse you play is probably a bad idea

It takes a strong man to deny what's right in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own. The truth, Erik, is that you're here because you wanted to feel like something you're not: a hero. I'm here because you can't accept what you've done. It broke you. You needed something to blame, so you cast it on me: a game. I know the truth is hard to hear Erik, but it's time. You're all that's left and we can't live this lie forever.

I know I'm late but this may be my favourite GAF post of all time

I would really like to know the behind the scenes on this game. Was this called Spec Ops from the get go? Did 2k even know what was being made for the single player? What events happened to let this game actually get funded by 2k and then actually released.

I would really like to know the behind the scenes on this game. Was this called Spec Ops from the get go? Did 2k even know what was being made for the single player? What events happened to let this game actually get funded by 2k and then actually released.

they needed a game with the 'spec ops' title to retain the rights. but they gave creative freedom for the game's content.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Just finished after blasting through it in two sittings.

Yeah, it's in my top 10 for this (last) year. What a great game... kinda speechless right now.

Toki767

I've never heard Nolan North swear so much before until this game. Dude must be pretty tired of being chased by helicopters in so many games.

Azih

The game deserves more GOTY nods. I hope the sales have pushed the game to break even point at the very least.

Overdoziz

Banned
Game is a bitch on FUBAR. Not really having any issues with ammo, though. If you look around for ammo packs and regularly execute enemies you shouldn't have too many problems with it.

Minion101

Banned

Minion101

Banned
Before listening to that, I have to imagine the original teasers we saw at E3 a few years back are nothing like what we got in the end story-wise.

I think your right. Jeff Gerstmann mentioned (on the bombcast) something about them realizing they were making a shitty game and going through a redesign.

antitrop

I think your right. Jeff Gerstmann mentioned (on the bombcast) something about them realizing they were making a shitty game and going through a redesign.
My guess was it was probably somewhere in 'Army of Two' territory.
Now only if Army of Two could realize that it is in 'Army of Two' territory.

There is legitimate room in that franchise's premise to explore the morality and real dirty dealings of private military contractors instead of everything that the series really is. EA will never allow that franchise to be anything but mundane, boring shit.

Overdoziz

Banned
Completed the game on FUBAR difficulty. Quite a few frustrating moments, mostly because of the loading times, but overall manageable. In the last big uphill battle with the mortar and turrets I ended up just cheating by basically shooting around (or through) corners. I found out that if your reticule is red bullets will hit most of the time even if there's a wall in between you and your target. Made it a lot more bearable.

Edit: Interesting statistic: It only took me 2 minutes longer to complete the game on FUBAR than it did on Suicide difficulty.

gabbo

There is legitimate room in that franchise's premise to explore the morality and real dirty dealings of private military contractors instead of everything that the series really is. EA will never allow that franchise to be anything but mundane, boring shit.

Didn't EA promise this (or something similar) in Syndicate?

Plissken

Since EA won't do it with Army of Two, this might be one place Yager could go with another entry in the franchise. Not a sequel, but a continuation of the themes from The Line. Call it Spec Ops: The Mercenaries or something.

lol

Great stuff.

This was one of my favorite things too because I started playing the game at around 3:30am and didn't stop until I finished it at 2:00pm (today). So that by the time I was in the last part of the game the lack of sleep was making me die quite a lot. But I think that frustration added a lot to the experience. I was actually angry at the soldiers, in the beginning I didn't want to finish off anyone, but at the end I was trying to decapitate all of them with the AA-12.

Kammie

I was reading the wiki page on the game, and was amused by this excerpt:

The multiplayer component of the game was created by a separate developer, and included "at the detriment of the overall project and the perception of the game," according to Cory Davis, lead designer at Yager:

"It sheds a negative light on all of the meaningful things we did in the single-player experience. The multiplayer game's tone is entirely different, the game mechanics were raped to make it happen, and it was a waste of money. No-one is playing it, and I don't even feel like it's part of the overall package - it's another game rammed onto the disk like a cancerous growth, threatening to destroy the best things about the experience that the team at Yager put their heart and souls into creating."
I couldn't find anyone on to play, but I watched some videos, and it looked truly horrendous.

zkylon

zkylewd
This was one of my favorite things too because I started playing the game at around 3:30am and didn't stop until I finished it at 2:00pm (today). So that by the time I was in the last part of the game the lack of sleep was making me die quite a lot. But I think that frustration added a lot to the experience. I was actually angry at the soldiers, in the beginning I didn't want to finish off anyone, but at the end I was trying to decapitate all of them with the AA-12.
Wow, I can't remember last time I did that. You just made me feel all kinds of old.

Pacbois

Just did the whole game in one evening. At the end I was almost crying. My hands were fucking shaking. Amazing experience.

The gameplay is pretty average. But at least it's not fucking filled with QTEs. That made some moment of the game even stronger.

The ending was kind of easy in term of writing, but the delievery was so good.

Just curious now. What choice did you end the game on ?
I shot myself. That scene with the ghost heads coming from the ground. It's still haunting me

Just did the whole game in one evening. At the end I was almost crying. My hands were fucking shaking. Amazing experience.

The gameplay is pretty average. But at least it's not fucking filled with QTEs. That made some moment of the game even stronger.

The ending was kind of easy in term of writing, but the delievery was so good.

Just curious now. What choice did you end the game on ?
I shot myself. That scene with the ghost heads coming from the ground. It's still haunting me

Do you always get that choice? (I did fuck up a lot of things early on the game, the only thing I did right was not shooting the mob of civilians), I didn't notice having any choice at all.

edit: there were some hilarious typos in this post, I haven't slept yet

You know, I have to admit, there was a point during my playthrough, maybe chapter 11 or so, where I was starting to think that the big twist of the game was that it was going to morph into a survival horror of sorts. That part where you're facing the teleporting heavy and the game designers insist on giving the player an epileptic fit with the flashing lights, coupled with that severely eerie loading screen with the mannequins... I was so ready for it to happen!

Top Bottom