• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Hint: It's much better than Conviction.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I have had a stealth hankering for a while now so a few weeks ago I decided to pick up Splinter Cell: Blacklist after reading some favorable impressions around these parts. I finally finished the campaign yesterday and I am pleased to say this game is really, really damn good.

Let me first start off with my experiences with Conviction. I hated Conviction. In fact, "hated" is too benign a word. I despised Conviction because it was an aggressive action game that masqueraded under the pretense of being a stealth game. The levels in Conviction were painfully linear and designed to be completely cleared of enemies before progress was granted. In a lot of situations the Mark and Execute feature was a necessity rather than an option. I eventually got so frustrated during the penultimate level that I pulled it out of my 360 and put it on my shelf, never to see the inside of a gaming system ever again.

splinter-cell-blacklist-stealth.jpg

Fast forward to 2013 and I'm pleased to find that Blacklist fixes most of Conviction's issues and is generally a very competent and, most importantly, fun stealth game. I initially wrote the game off due to its controversial E3 demo but Blacklist really does have strong stealth mechanics underneath all its dudebro bravado. The levels in this game are what's known as "wide linear" I suppose, in which there is a discrete entrance and exit to each area, but with multiple paths and secret passages in between. This allows you to really play your way: do you shimmy across ledges and make your way up to the rooftop where you can sneak silently into a vent? Do you stand behind a corner and whistle to attract guards to their inevitable doom? Or do you toss a flashbang and jump in with your assault rifle?

I generally played a mix of Panther and Ghost styles and found that the game was incredibly accommodating to both. Ubisoft really went out of its way to create alternate paths and gadgets that allow you to ghost areas if you really want to, and the grading system even gives the maximum amount of points for leaving enemies "undisturbed." The number of hiding spots, ledges, shadows, and vents in each level means you can easily call an audible and change your strategy on the fly if you run into unexpected resistance. I also found guards to be generally intelligent and unpredictable. Guards' patrol routes are not preset and can vary every time you restart a checkpoint, which adds replayability; I started a Perfectionist Ghost run last night and I am excited at the prospect at having to think on my feet if guards surprise me.

The AI also impressed me in other ways. If you leave doors open, or close previously open doors, the guards will get suspicious and will check out the room you're in. If you take out a guard on patrol, his friends will come looking for him after a while. Guards don't always react the same way to your actions: in one level I was infiltrating a mansion in South America and I was hiding behind a corner. I whistled to attract one guard, who swiftly got a knife to the throat. I hid his body away and returned to the same corner and whistled at another guard. Instead of coming over, he stared cautiously at the corner for a while before radioing his team to say he thinks there might be an intruder and that he was going to check it out, which put the whole level on increased alert. Blacklist also introduces dogs, which are annoying as they can sniff you out even if you're hidden out of sight. Later in the game you go up against "heavies," who can only be taken out from behind or above, and guards equipped with night vision goggles that can see you in the dark.

SCBL_01.jpg

As far as the voice acting, I honestly think Eric Johnson does a great job as Sam. He's no Ironside that's for sure, but he maintains the grim seriousness that Ironside brought to the role, and after a while I didn't even notice that it wasn't Ironside making Sam's dry quips. The rest of the voice cast is great too, with Grim being particularly great as a foil to Sam. My favorite though had to be Sadiq, who is played by Carlo Rota and is completely mesmerizing whenever he is on screen.

The game isn't perfect though, and I do have a few serious issues with it. There are two levels in particular where I felt like I was playing Conviction again, and I came ever so close to hurling my controller through my TV. It doesn't help that these levels come one after the other. The first involves you infiltrating a high tech facility and at one point you are thrown into an ambush in a small, enclosed room. If you leave cover for even a second you are instantly spotted and killed, and I must have died 5 times in a row trying to stealth my way out before getting fed up and shooting everyone. There does seem to be a stealthy approach but I had to YouTube it and it's pretty obscure. This section also requires you to neutralize everyone in the room before you can progress, which gave me painful flashbacks to Conviction. The level also gives you a mini-boss fight towards the end, and closes out with a car chase in which you control a drone and fire missiles onto the enemy vehicles.

The second level involves you switching back and forth between Sam and Briggs, the latter of which is played from an FPS perspective and is one of the most annoying sections in the game for its lack of stealth combined with the lack of competent shooter mechanics and minimal checkpoints. There are two of these FPS segments, before you are given control of Sam and have to fight your way through a subway train. Let me say that again: you have to fight (i.e., the opposite of stealth) through a subway train (i.e., the literal definition of a linear level). It's not like you can even jump out the windows and flank the enemies - you literally have to fight through it car by car. It's as if someone copied Uncharted 2's train level and then threw out everything that made it fun.

Thankfully, the few levels that come afterwards and close out the game go back to the game's stealth roots and are fun and exciting, and the two bad levels can be completed relatively quickly and then summarily forgotten.

Blacklist_DX11_game-2013-08-25-20-42-17-14.bmp

As a whole, I think this game is great and well worth picking up for anyone on here who is looking for a fun stealth experience. It's a shame Blacklist didn't do very well for Ubi because I think it's a definite step in the right direction after the disappointment that was Conviction. I actually think the reason Blacklist didn't do particularly well was because Conviction left a bad taste in people's mouths, and for that reason I believe more people should give the game a shot. It has solid stealth mechanics, gives you a lot of freedom in how you approach each level, and has a significant amount of replayability between different difficulty levels, playstyles, collectibles, and a ton of side/co-op missions (which I haven't really touched yet). I am very much looking forward to seeing what Splinter Cell is going to look like in its next gen iteration, because if it's anything like this then we are in for a treat.

Ephemeris

It was a pleasant surprise. I checked it out at E3 and wasn't feeling it. I planned on getting the game regardless of how it panned out (I enjoyed Conviction) but man was it a blast.

That reminds me. I need to wrap up some co-op missions.

I do miss Ironside and that god-tier batman voice of his, but the new guy held his own.

I was totally worried going into this game but ended up with probably the best entry in the series...even topping Chaos Theory IMO.

Fantastic game, its a shame that it didn't sell all that well.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Picked it up during release week for $35, got an amazing stealth game. Love the freedom in tackling each encounter, choosing your loadout, and lethal/non-lethal playstyle. There are almost always alternate methods and hidden paths to reach a target or destination. Love how there are a ton of weapons and upgrades to unlock as well as lots of challenges to make more money. Despite the assault options, the game is clearly meant to be played stealth since Sam goes down pretty fast, even on normal plus it limits a lot of the creative methods for evading and taking out enemies.

If you're playing on PS3 and would like to run through some of the co-op missions without killing anyone, add me PSN - ShinDiFire.

Gaz_RB

Agreed. I was pretty confident in this game before it came out, but I was also a big Conviction fan. I put in probably 100 hours into Blacklist, and I'll probably return to it again before next gen. If so many great games wouldn't have come oh this year, it'd be my GOTY

I heard no buzz about the game, but apparently everyone loved it? How the hell does a game that good with Ubi marketing bomb?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I heard no buzz about the game, but apparently everyone loved it? How the hell does a game that good with Ubi marketing bomb?

107279.gif

That's probably why.

justjim89

Honestly, it's my favorite Splinter Cell game. It combines the best elements of Chaos Theory and Conviction and blends them together pretty effectively. I sincerely hope they continue along this track with the next Splinter Cell game.

Dereck

The single player = awesome besides the fucking stupid ass shooting from a helicopter missions

The online co-op = awesome besides the lack of checkpoints

ironcreed

Banned
It is indeed better, and I still need to finish it. I have had the most fun failing and then finally finding the right path to ghost. In this way, the level design is excellent for the most part. Very fun game.

2nd best Splinter Cell, a hair short of Chaos Theory.

It was so good that I went and bought the DLC (sucks that it was on-disc but whatever). Grim's DLC mission on the yacht is worth the price of entry alone.

Derrick01

Banned
It would be pretty hard to make a worse game than Conviction. Seems like this is a competent stealth game....for a modern game's interpretation of stealth anyway. I'm still waiting for the PC version to get cheap enough so I don't feel like I'm pissing too much money away.

Bronetta

im gonna go ahead and say that three second clip is more indicative of that three seconds of gameplay, than of the other ten hours. total guesswork on my part.

I remember watching the E3 gameplay for the game and it did NOT make me want to play the game at all. I only ended up getting it because people came out saying its an actual stealth game and a damn good one at that.

Sober

Everyone that played it more or less really liked it, especially where the series had been prior to Blacklist.

Everyone else will write it off though. I wish they'd give it a try. I'm sure Derrick, who hasn't played it, will chime in soon and tell us stealth games are dead.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Worth it for Spies vs Merc alone.

SvM is EXTREMELY unbalanced, unless they've fixed that from launch. So...

But the singleplayer, yeah, OP. I had I the same reaction. "OMG CONVICTION 2.0 Wait, I can actually stealth levels now? And have alternate routes?! HOLY SHIT!"

It's not as good as the classic series but it's wayyyyy better than Conviction and people that slept on it to where it undersold need to really give it a chance. It was a pleasant surprise to see that Ubisoft actually listened to the old-school fans and attempted to have stealth in it.

Everyone else will write it off though. I wish they'd give it a try. I'm sure Derrick, who hasn't played it, will chime in soon and tell us stealth games are dead.

ICEBURN.gif on Derrick. But that's the real-talk.

dyergram

Just picked this up from shopto for £21 on wiiu looking forward to sneakily jumping then having to shoot evyone because I fucked up.

Shinta

Banned
Easily one of my favorite games of the year. I'm going to be playing and replaying this game for a very long time.

So fucking fun to play with a friend co-op.

Despite my initial apprehension, when I finally got to play the game I was pleasantly surprised and ultimately impressed at how good it was. It's definitely a game made for todays audiences, but it still has plenty of cool Splinter Cell moments.

That train section was a mistake though, especially on the hardest difficulty.

The most fun I had with Blacklist was playing Grimm's co-op missions splitscreen with my brother. They're very similar in design to the classic SP games and are great to Ghost through.

Bronetta

Split-screen co-op? +10 respect to Ubisoft.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://hugelolcdn.com/i/107279.gif

That's probably why.

Yeah, Ubisoft REALLY fucked up by doing dude-bro in a non-dudebro game. They really should NOT have done that for the reveal if they wanted to ease series fans fears.

But they didn't until it was nearly toward launch and by then it was too late because you had a bunch of people writing it off.

Lingitiz

I enjoyed this quite a bit, but the action sequences peppered around the main story really hurt it overall. The Grim missions are where everything really shines.

Tugatrix

It's pretty good, they brought stealth back and that's enough to satisfy me, but still in some moment's the game really try to make you kill people, and didn't like that.

Mman235

Yeah, Ubisoft REALLY fucked up by doing dude-bro in a non-dudebro game. They really should NOT have done that for the reveal if they wanted to ease series fans fears.

But they didn't until it was nearly toward launch and by then it was too late because you had a bunch of people writing it off.

Given that this is actually supposed to be a competent stealth game. It's ironic that the publishers thought marketing it as a stealth game would kill it when it's likely that marketing it as a dudebro action game is probably a big contributor to it bombing (or made it do no better).

Given that this is actually supposed to be a competent stealth game. It's ironic that the publishers thought marketing it as a stealth game would kill it when it's likely that marketing it as a dudebro action game is probably a big contributor to it bombing (or made it do no better).

Sssshhh I want publishers to realise by themselves that marketing every game as dudebro doesn't automatically mean more sales. At least the Thief guys are trying, bless their hearts.

Jamesways

Did this have SP Deniable Ops maps like Conviction? I loved doing no weapon mega stealth takedown runs in those.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Played it for a few hours. Absolutely love it. I'm trying to play super stealthy, it's super rewarding.

I'm not so fond of some of the versus mode changes. But it's definitely better than the previous few games.

_RT_

I just put this up on ebay this weekend so I can start clearing things out for the PS4.
I immediately regretted doing it.

Really enjoyed this game.

107279.gif

That's probably why.
Forgive me if I have the wrong idea but is this gif implying that Blacklist isn't stealth?

If so, you may want to notice that it says "detected" flashing in red in the upper portion of the screen. From there, I would assume running and busting down doors would make sense, even in the stealthiest of stealth games, but what do I know.

I'm currently three or four missions in and I like the game a lot so far. I had no problems with Conviction though.

prag16

Banned
I played this over the last month. Got distracted and haven't quite completed the main story, but I've put around 20 hours into the game total, and haven't been disappointed. The stealth mechanics are well done and fun (and only occasionally frustrating). I liked how was most missions had a variety of viable ways to tackle many of the encounters, with various paths you could take. Refreshing compared to the highly linear state of most games.

Very good game. 9/10.

KorrZ

I was super surprised by this game. I went in with very low expectations and they were completely blown away. It was surprisingly great, will probably make it into my top 10 list for the year.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Alright alright I'll buy the fuckin' game come Thursday's paycheck. I'm probably not gonna like it but I'll give it a shot since the general consensus on this forum is that it was pretty good.

Between this, LoU, Gunpoint, and the Dishonored DLCs it seems like stealth was in style this year.

UrbanRats

I had a lot of fun with it, of course you have to not follow the story and try to turn off your brain during the (few and short) first person sequences, but otherwise, it was a fun game.
Especially the Grimm missions.

Monooboe

I also hated Conviction but I am loving Blacklist, I can't remember when I had this much fun with a stealth game. So much fun trying to be completely Ghost with no detects or kills.

IvorB

OP, this thread could not have come at a better time. I picked this up about a week ago and I am playing it now. I am honestly blown away by how good it is. I love the levels as they are quite expansive with loads of different options of how you want to progress. The guards are generally quite switched on and frequently surprise me with their intelligence and tactics. Really this games does so many things right for a stealth game. I know you are can also play this as a shooter but I really struggle to see how you would do that since the side missions I have done are 'no alert allowed'.

The game also looks great. The gameplay is just so sweet though. Sneaking passed guards feels awesome but so does stealth killing them unawares. The best parts so far are the side missions that require you to restart at the beginning if you mess up. This forces you to play proper methodical stealth. But even if you end up having to do the level again there are so many new pathways and things you discover that when you replay you could do it completely differently. The guards also switch it up which is great.

Really I can't wait to play this again at the weekend. If people are into stealth I really can't recommend it enough from what I have played so far. I think it's easily one of the best stealth games I have played.

I'm a broken record by this point but I loved the hell out of this game.

I had decent expectations going in, assuming/hoping the team had learned from Conviction and even Future Soldier elements, and the game went above and beyond those expectations. You can tell that the team put a lot of work trying to satiate classic stealth fans while also trying to achieve the impossible - balancing those stealth options along with Panther and Assault playstyles. But they did an almost perfect job of it. There's an old school quality to it, a ton of player choice, nice options for tuning the difficulty and a shitton of replayability. The core structure of the game also seemed perfect for additional DLC missions for solo and co-op. So much potential there.

Its definitely on my short list of GOTY picks.

Bronetta

Alright alright I'll buy the fuckin' game come Thursday's paycheck. I'm probably not gonna like it but I'll give it a shot since the general consensus on this forum is that it was pretty good.

Between this, LoU, Gunpoint, and the Dishonored DLCs it seems like stealth was in style this year.

Metro: Last Light. Don't forget Last Light.

Just below the original and CT. Great stealth game, real pleasure to replay the missions with different tactics. Definitely among my top 4 or 5 favorite games of the year

prag16

Banned
I had a lot of fun with it, of course you have to not follow the story and try to turn off your brain during the (few and short) first person sequences, but otherwise, it was a fun game.
Especially the Grimm missions.

The Grim missions were cool. A couple tricky points, but rewarding when you got it done. I liked how you were in total control of the order in which you did things (even moreso than in the main campaign missions), and the paths you took, etc. It didn't prod you down a particular path or way of thinking. Good stuff.

It's probably my game of the year to this point (I didn't play TLoU, and didn't like GTA5).

Top Bottom