• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Super Mario 3D World (AKA: GAF got it so, so right)

JaseMath

I've always been a big fan of Mario games. However, the last two titles I played in the franchise left me...pretty underwhelmed. I felt that Super Mario 3D Land was clever, but lacked any real heart or charm. Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the other hand, despite several attempts to finish, could never hold my attention past World 3 despite its predecessor being one of my favorite games of all time. For these reasons—as well as my being stupid having heard that Super Mario 3D World was being quickly ported to the Wii U from the 3DS as a desperation move—I avoided Super Mario 3D World. Scoffed at it really, even through critical praise and the gushing over it here on GAF.

Leading up to the Switch presentation, I started getting Nintendo fever. The old sentiment I had for Mario had me lazily wondering what Super Mario 3D World was really like. Another poster on GAF—maxcriden—gave me an honest opinion of the game that made it seem as though it could hit all the right buttons. Intrigued, I purchased a used copy off of eBay.

I watched the Switch presentation Thursday night and started feeling the old Nintendo fan in me getting triggered. Of course I want Zelda like everyone else, but the kid in me wanted Mario. Then this morning, in the game I'm begrudgingly grinding through, this happened. I thought to myself, "Am I really having fun or am I just going through the motions? What would I really rather be playing?" I realize it's almost 100% because of my Nintendo focus lately, but it turns out it's SM3DW. I turned the game off and went to GameStop later in the day. There, I purchased a pre-owned copy of Super Mario 3D World (I'll return it when my eBay copy gets here midweek).

And guys, you were right. I've never believed anyone who said it was great due to my misgivings toward SM3DL and SMG2, but anyone who said this game is one of the best Mario games—even the handful of you who said it's the best 3D Mario—spoke absolutely true. I haven't had this much fun with a game in a really, really long time. Several times I've caught myself just grinning while I play I'm having so much fun. I'm only in World 3 (on to 4), but courses like the Mario Circuit homage (complete with the music!) or the Boo Mansion had me giggling with glee.

And the graphics. Oh my! I realize it's not the technical juggernaut of say, an Uncharted 4 or Final Fantasy XV, but yet, I finding myself more impressed with the visuals of SM3DW than the both of those games. A lot more so. I don't know why. I do know that Nintendo nailed—completely nailed—the essence of Mario with the art style.

It's early, so I can't give a definitive rank amongst the greats of the series, but again, I have a lot more to see and I look forward to what future levels hold. I just can't wait to play again. :D

TLDR; This game is excellent.

Game is incredibly easy and dull as a result. Co-op was a bad idea and poorly implemented.

It wasn't anywhere near the Galaxy games.

I like 3D World but I enjoyed 3D Land more.

Im excited for return to form in Odyssey.

3D World and Land were great for their time... but I'm ready to move on to something grand.

Stencil

Loved this game. The polish in the everything from the graphics down to the much-more-integral control mechanics is very satisfying.

Still haven't beaten
the bonus world
, forget what it's called.
Champions' Road
? So hard.

One nitpick I have is that I feel Mario has become very bland, simple. Granted, 3D Land/World does a better job than NSMB in this respect, but I miss the stranger, more unique settings in games like 3 and World. I feel that as the Mario franchise has evolved with the technology, the settings within, despite looking fine and working well, aren't very remarkable. It makes me wonder about Odyssey; maybe it's the city setting shown in the trailer, but it seems to go along with this somewhat sterile look that the series has fostered.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The game is an absolute blast and even better with more people to play with. I grabbed a few friends on launch day and ended up playing 6 hours straight because they couldn't put it down.

The post game content is amazing as well and a lot more difficult than the main game.

I played 3D World as my first 3D Mario and I loved it. I then went and played Galaxy with high hopes only to be left disappointed. It just felt like 3D World with not as fun filler spacing out the great parts. 3D World is the clear winner for me.

Coda

Playing-Believing.jpg

hatchx

Banned
Loved it. Gonna feel a little bit of pain when I trade it in this week toward Odyssey. The EBgames trade in deal is too too sweet.

That's funny, it's my least favorite 3D Mario entry actually :p was never a fan of the art style or the level design tbh. Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 remain the gold standard for me.

Game is incredibly easy and dull as a result. Co-op was a bad idea and poorly implemented.

It wasn't anywhere near the Galaxy games.
Have you completed Champion's Road?
Co-op is hilarious.
The maps are wildly different from each other and the gimmicks don't stay too long to get old.
It's also just 300MB.

Insaniac

I absolutely loved playing the game multiplayer with my brother and cousin. It was sheer bliss from start to finish. If you beat it solo, I highly recommend playing through again cooperatively. Its like a whole new experience.

I have to say, Champion's Road is the greatest 3D platforming level I've ever played. An absolute masterpiece.

It really takes every inch of skill that you've built over the various levels in the game. And it's got that wonderful big band-ish remix of the Dusty Garden Galaxy theme. Perfection.

That last part of the level, with the booster pads and the radiating projectiles... That's the stuff of dreams. But also of nightmares. And lots of rage :p

Is it really better than Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie? I've been seriously debating picking it up for a very long time now, and like the OP, I just couldn't get all that into the Galaxy games.

It's really nothing like those two games. It's essentially a 2D Mario game in 3D. Lots of short, linear stages. It's a ton of fun though.

Super Mario 3D World is great but I couldn't be happier EPD Tokyo is moving on from this style of Mario game.
Wouldn't mind a Sequel honestly to play with friends on two-four switches wireless.

Would Probably make the camera better which was my biggest complaint. Still fun, but that camera could get annoying now and then

ghibli99

Insanely polished, and that last level is just euphoric when you finally beat it. One of the best games this generation, easily.

JaseMath

Is it really better than Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie? I've been seriously debating picking it up for a very long time now, and like the OP, I just couldn't get all that into the Galaxy games.

DO IT!!! It's so much better than you're anticipating. I was expecting a ho-hum-that-level-was-kinda-neat-I-guess Mario, but's it's surpassing even my wildest expectations.
It's really nothing like those two games. It's essentially a 2D Mario game in 3D. Lots of short, linear stages. It's a ton of fun though.

Exactly what he said.

Malus

Yeah I loved this game too. It just had a playfulness to it, constantly introducing new ideas with such a wide variety of level designs and abilities. The postgame content was excellent and the grand finale level was epic as hell. It was also the birthplace of Treasure Tracker.

I put it on par with 3D Land but still prefer the Galaxies overall, if only because they had more impressive audio/visual presentation and cinematic moments on top of being a ton of fun.

Hoping for Odyssey to be the first "adventure" type Mario I like. Early returns are very promising. The world looks a lot more interesting than the previous adventure titles imo.

Super Mario 3D World is great but I couldn't be happier EPD Tokyo is moving on from this style of Mario game.

About 90% of the time I agree with your gaming opinions. I guess this is one of those cases where I couldn't disagree more.

I like the emphasis to be on platforming in my platformers, whether they're 2D or 3D. This whole "sandbox" thing in the style of 64/Sunshine... If I wanted that, I would go play an open world adventure game.

Personally, I would say yes. It's simplified for sure but it's distilled to the point of knowing exactly how far each character can jump, their speed etc. You can be confident in all of the movement so the sections can be more challenging. I never felt like that playing either Banjo or 64.

Come back and tell us how you really feel after you're through with Champion's Road. You haven't seen anything yet.

I've been following that team since Jungle Beat and I prefer Galaxy/3DW over 64/Sunshine by a considerable margin—not necessarily because of the linearity but because they knew how to use it, capturing the flavour of what Mario is as I knew it from SMB3 and SMW. And even so, I agree: just as I don't want Sakurai to work on nothing but Smash for the rest of his professional relationship with Nintendo, the Mario team that has been in charge since Galaxy is too good to be stuck with what we already know they do best. I like the 64/Sunshine format, but I'm not attached to it like the "true 3D Mario" partisans are, and what excites me about Odyssey is that it is in the hands of those I completely trust to make me finally fall in love with 64 style of Mario.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's really fucking good. Arguably takes too long to get going, but there are some fucking fantastic levels in the latter parts.

Champion's Road is the ultimate final level.

About 90% of the time I agree with your gaming opinions. I guess this is one of those cases where I couldn't disagree more.

I like the emphasis to be on platforming in my platformers, whether they're 2D or 3D. This whole "sandbox" thing in the style of 64/Sunshine... If I wanted that, I would go play an open world adventure game.

I actually felt this way as well until very recently. It's been so long since an exploration-based Mario game that I'm finally ready for one again.

With that said, I'm more than happy to return to the Galaxy/3D World style in the future.

It's really fucking good. Arguably takes too long to get going, but there are some fucking fantastic levels in the latter parts.

A "New Super Luigi U" equivalent to this game would be fantastic. I mean in the sense of heightened challenge like those later levels you mentioned.

Raxus

While it is hard to call it better than classics like 64 and Banjo it is up there.

AgeEighty

Yep, it's a fantastic Mario game. Every new level has something in it that no level before it had. It keeps throwing new ideas and level gimmicks at you, and they're all fun and clever ones. The soundtrack is superb. And it's got a healthy degree of challenge once you start getting into the extended levels.

I liked 3D World more than Galaxy for this reason.

I don't have anything against adventuring in 3D platformers necessarily, it's just that most of Galaxy's worlds felt like 3D Worlds in how abstract and "floating in a void" they are. I don't find meandering in them compelling. I just want to platform in them. There are a few galaxy worlds with a more convincing scale that I enjoyed just running around in a lot, but only a few.

I haven't played 64 or Sunshine but I'd expect to enjoy the adventuring aspect more in those games than I did in Galaxy. I'm extremely excited at the direction of the new game.

Kangi

Didn't like it as much as many others here, but it's a good game, no doubt. You haven't really lived until you've done the final level as powerless Toad.

psyfi

Banned
I really don't get the appeal of this game.

It felt so much less satisfying than either Super Mario 64 or the Galaxy games. I liked Mario 3D Land, but that's because it was on the 3DS. I have different expectations from 3D Mario games on console, and SM3DW fell well below my expectations. I was honestly shocked at how much I didn't like it. It's a gorgeous game though, I'll give it that.

A "New Super Luigi U" equivalent to this game would be fantastic. I mean in the sense of heightened challenge like those later levels you mentioned.
I'd really love to try that out. I think more challenge might help me get into the game more.

I actually felt this way as well until very recently. It's been so long since an exploration-based Mario game that I'm finally ready for one again.

With that said, I'm more than happy to return to the Galaxy/3D World style in the future.

Ah, that's fair. Forgive my ignorance, but I've never played more than about 30 minutes of SM64, and I watched someone play Sunshine for about 15 minutes before I got bored. So, not knowing much about them, what's the appeal of these sandbox Mario games?

-------

Back on topic: Another thing I love about SM3DW is how the soundtrack is a tribute to the Mario series so far. They have tracks from Mario 1, 2, 3, 64, Galaxy, and of course 3D Land. The soundtrack is so good, it's one of the few gaming soundtracks I've bothered to hunt down. While the remixes of the times film prior Mario games are great, the new tracks for this game are excellent, too.

I don't know, I just felt a lot of JOY playing this game from beginning to end. (Oh yea, also the occasional rage on Champion's Road, LOL.)

Top Bottom