• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Super Mario Galaxy 2 — My body was not ready

Halcyon

I preferred SMG 1 and find both of them less interesting to play than 64 for me. The gravity/space theme was tiresome by SMG2.

Opinions.

What evidence do you have to make this claim?

If you read that crazy Gamecube article that was floating around in the past few days there's a section where they talk about Super Mario Sunshine being too difficult, and if you look at SMG 1 & 2 (which are pretty easy games for the most part) and now SM3DL/W (which is attempting to bridge the gap between SMG and NSMB) you can see the progression I was talking about. Also, the SMG games sold poorly in Japan compared to the NSMB games so there is an added incentive to make the 3D games more like the 2D ones.

The best 3D platformer ever made. The mechanics and level design are so perfectly tuned to one another that it makes the entire experience feel very cohesive and natural.

Jesus what I would do to play the Galaxies for the first time again.

Seriously.

mantidor

I think I have ended up liking 3D World more, but Galaxy 2 is a phenomenal game in every way. I still have to finish it 100% though.

Farmboy

Yup, best game on Wii. Still can't believe they surpassed the original, but by golly they did.

I love 3D Land and 3D World as well, but they're not quite on the same level (although the multiplayer does make up for -- and explain -- the slightly less tight level designs).

Truth: I'd pay full price for Galaxy 1 + 2 HD. And with that, I mean the price of two full new games, even though I already own them. Shut up and take my money, Nintendo.

andymcc

Banned
Yup, best game on Wii. Still can't believe they surpassed the original, but by golly they did.

I love 3D Land and 3D World as well, but they're not quite on the same level (although the multiplayer does make up for -- and explain -- the slightly less tight level designs).

Truth: I'd pay full price for Galaxy 1 + 2 HD. And with that, I mean the price of two full new games, even though I already own them. Shut up and take my money, Nintendo.

i'd say that Mario 3D World has tighter, more focused level design than Galaxy.

jmls1121

Banned
SMG2 is the second best game ever made (Zelda OoT is #1, it is insane what they accomplished in 1998)

But SMG2 is personally my favorite game ever.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Yep, its my game of the generation.

Runner Up: Motorstorm: Pacific Rift.

I'm rather jealous of people that get to experience this masterpiece for the first time. What a title. I bitch about Nintendo and don't like a lot of their decisions these days, but the company can take a couple of bows for this one.

Scoops

Banned
I remember all of complaining when this was announced alongside NSMB.

"Oh my God they're milking the franchise!"
"It's just going to be an expansion pack of SMG!"
"Nintendooooomed"

Then those people played the game.

Dr.Hadji

i'd say that Mario 3D World has tighter, more focused level design than Galaxy.

I never know what people are talking about when they blame the lack of tightness in 3D World on multiplayer. In the space per things to do ratio, 3D World certainly isn't worse off than Galaxy.

Best galaxy in Galaxy 2 is Chomworks Galaxy. Has flip switches, golden Chomps, shadow Mario trains, the works.

Dorygrant

Galaxy 2 is still my fav. Mario 3D Platformer!

It just did everything right, although I do miss the heavier story focus from the first game.

It's a good game, but having played through it again recently, I prefer the first one more. Galaxy 1 has: a better hub, some better levels, a better story, and overall feels more "complete". I will argue though Galaxy 2 handles Luigi better than Galaxy 1,
I also prefer collecting the extra stars more than just collecting the same ones again.
I also really like how Galaxy 1 has it's own story in comparison to Galaxy 2. Overall though going from Galaxy 1 and 2 to 3D Land then 3D World still feels like a slap in the face. :/ The 3D_ series sucks in comparison to the other 3D series.

3bdelilah

Banned
I guess I'm one of not very few who enjoyed the first one more. Don't get me wrong, SMG2 is a wonderful game and without a doubt my GOTY for 2010 (although Mass Effect 2 came very close), and they have added just enough to make everything feel fresh and new. But I don't know, eventhough I ended up enjoying it a loooooot, I had a few moments of "been there done that". The best part was without a doubt the nostalgia trip to (world 6 spoilers!!!!)
Whomp Fortress remake
. I had a big grin on my face from start to end. But there were some downsides to for me, Yoshi was fun and all the first few times, but I ended up relatively really not liking the levels where he was essential. I don't know why, I guess I'm one of the few. I didn't even bother going after the stars again after 120, whereas in SMG1 I got the
120 starts with Luigi too

The first one though, that was pure magic. I couldn't remember the last time I saw greatness like that (oh yeah, I do. OOT). Especially because I wasn't even aware of it pre-release, it came out of the sky and boy, wow.

I just couldn't finish it tbh. I really enjoyed the first one but by the time I was playing this I was getting tired of going through the motions with the usual Nintendo franchises and made it maybe halfway through before just stopping. It was just way too much like an expansion pack or something of the first to do much for me, so coming at the time it did for me... well...

Glad you're getting so much out of it though. Enjoy.

Jagsrock

Banned
Oh but they are in fact overrated. I liked them... but i much preferred ACiT over both of them.

umm that really doesn't definitively make Mario galaxy overrated. It just means you personally liked another game more. Mario galaxy still stands at the pinnacle of platformers regardless of your likes and dislikes it's pretty much universally excepted as one of the best ever especially for last gen.

Dr.Hadji

Oh but they are in fact overrated. I liked them... but i much preferred ACiT over both of them.

If this is all you mean by it then you really should use another word other than "overrated". It's such a loaded term that means much more than what people are willing to actually defend. As it stands, you're basically saying "stop liking what I don't like as much". Which isn't much.

It cool if you like ACiT more, not everyone like platformers. So shooters are more up your alley.

And Ipreferred most of last year's great games over The Last of Us but I'm not gonna call the game that is damn near unanimously loved by critics and players alike with tons of redeeming factors and novel differentiating qualities from its peers 'overrated' just because it didn't do it for me in particular.

The Yoshi mechanics in this are sublime. Like, the most enjoyable and satisfying platforming stuff ever.

I seriously need another 3D Mario with 500% more Yoshi.

neoemonk

Both Galaxy games are great but I like 3D World even more. It doesn't really matter which you are playing though because they are all excellent.

Galaxy 1 was a bit of a letdown to me (apart from the amazing soundtrack), but Galaxy 2 is mostly solid. Glad with the direction they took with 3D World.

Having played them recently back to back, I think the first is easily the better game overall. Galaxy 2 has its moments, but it has more weird non-platforming stuff, is overly reliant on two-dimensional stages, and puts unneeded emphasis on a wide variety of power-ups (including a bunch of Yoshi fruits) instead of Mario's jumping. It overall feels more gimmicky than the first game, like they had kind of stretched the main game design to its limits and had no where else to go, so they just went off in completely different tangents (I have a similar problem with Portal 2). The overall soundtrack is weaker, like it's trying too hard to one-up or just be the first Galaxy's. Still an amazing game (and there are a few moments where I have a hard time separating their stages in my head) though. 3D Land and World were both enormous steps back for the series.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I just bought both of these about a week ago and have started SMG1. So far, it's absolutely fantastic. I look forward to SMG2 as it's received some of the most praise I've ever seen for a Mario game (next to SMW and SM64 {for other reasons}).

DedValve

Banned
I was LTTP about 2 months ago. Absolutely unreal game. Though I didn't feel too inclined to get the
extra 120 or so stars
(end game spoiler). But man that last galaxy was some of the greatest platforming I've ever played, and every other galaxy for that matter

I don't think that counts as a spoiler since every 3D mario game has hidden stars. Can you play as luigi in this one?

rahmz

Neo Member
I played the first mario galaxy, and I got around halfway and stopped playing. After their departure from a mario 64 style game, I've lost interest in the 3d mario games. My little brother actually brought a copy of galaxy 2, but I never got around to play it.

Just the whole jumping from planet to planet makes it feel so disconnected...

I enjoy platformers, not for their difficulty, but more for their adventure aspect (mario 64, banjo kazooie, dk 64 etc.), and collectables.

TBH, I don't mind collectables in platformers at all, banjo tooie is probably my favourite platformer of them all and its almost exlusively about collecting collectables.

"Overrated" is a term used when someone just can't accept the fact that their tastes aren't universal.

I twitch at the idea of playing ACIT again. What a bland-fest.

I played the first mario galaxy, and I got around halfway and stopped playing. After their departure from a mario 64 style game, I've lost interest in the 3d mario games. My little brother actually brought a copy of galaxy 2, but I never got around to play it.

Just the whole jumping from planet to planet makes it feel so disconnected...

I enjoy platformers, not for their difficulty, but more for their adventure aspect (mario 64, banjo kazooie, dk 64 etc.), and collectables.

TBH, I don't mind collectables in platformers at all, banjo tooie is probably my favourite platformer of them all and its almost exlusively about collecting collectables.

I still maintain that the two types of 3D platformer design are different enough to warrant a sub-genre distinction. Like, Mario 64 is a playground 3D platformer, whereas Galaxy is a tunnel 3D platformer.

Vecks

My most favorite game ever. Always welcome to see a LttP for any of the galaxy games. I still haven't played 3D world yet, but not sure if anything can top the fun I had with this one.

Don't forget to fill out your Club Nintendo survey to let them know. :)
I'm not even sure people read those...Miiverse is better as a direct link to Nintendo, regardless though Nintendo needs to get as far away from the 3D_ formula with the next mainline game as possible. You don't make your 28-year-old game series sell better by making each installment play the same way and look the same way, it makes people question why they need to even buy the next installment.

3D Land and World were both enormous steps back for the series.

That's debatable plus highly YMMV if critical and (what seems to be) most player reactions are anything to go by. Plus I still don't think that the two approaches to 3D Mario are mutually exclusive to one another so I'd implore you to see it less as a step back and more as a 3D spinoff series doing its own thing (a third pillar to the Mario formula, potentially) that you don't find nearly as enjoyable.

I'm not even sure people read those...Miiverse is better as a direct link to Nintendo, regardless though Nintendo needs to get as far away from the 3D_ formula with the next mainline game as possible. You don't make your 28-year-old game series sell better by making each installment play the same way and look the same way, it makes people question why they need to even buy the next installment.
Club Nintendo surveys were cited as one of the reasons Paper Mario: Sticker Star was what it was.

That's debatable plus highly YMMV if critical and (what seems to be) most player reactions are anything to go by. Plus I still don't think that the two approaches to 3D Mario are mutually exclusive to one another so I'd implore you to see it less as a step back and more as a 3D spinoff series doing its own thing (a third pillar to the Mario formula, potentially) that you don't find nearly as enjoyable.
I'm quite content with my viewpoint on this matter, thank you very much.

Draconian

Didn't Miyamoto make some mention of Club Nintendo surveys when people criticized the lack of RPG elements in Paper Mario: Sticker Star? That's the only time I can remember Nintendo commenting on them.

The Yoshi mechanics in this are sublime. Like, the most enjoyable and satisfying platforming stuff ever.

I seriously need another 3D Mario with 500% more Yoshi.

Completely agree. I loved platforming and then pointing to a flower and flinging myself up. I would even make self challenges, where I would have to jump in the air and grab the chili peppers before I land again. As you said, satisfying.

--

Mango the Magician said:

Completely agree. At least I got Club Nintendo coins for shitting on the game though. That's better than I get on GAF. And if anyone ever starts a Never Make Another 3D Mario Land Game movement on Miiverse, I'll join in.

Not only the best Mario game but the best 3D Platformer there is, it took what I thought was the pinnacle of 3D platforming with Galaxy 1 and revealed that beyond the obscuring clouds there in fact was a higher peak to scale which was the domain of Galaxy 2.
SMG2 is so sure of itself it strolls out of the gate with an opening set of stages in world 1 that dive straight into the thick of things flinging in new ideas with every revealed galaxy. Within the first hour you'll have gotten to grips with Yoshi, the drill, flip switches and the Cloud Suit on top of returning elements from the original, warm up stages? no need, SMG1 itself was the warm up and SMG2 is the main event.

heyf00L

Picked up my Wii U a few weeks ago, and I ordered Galaxy 1 & 2 because I have never played them. I'm excited :D

Don't try to play them back to back; you might get burnt out and miss out on what the games have to offer. At least in my experience what worked best for me was this with some off time in between each step:

1. Got 120 stars in Galaxy 1
  2. Got 120 stars in Galaxy 2
  3. Went back and got the second 120 stars in Galaxy 1
  4. Still working on the next 120 stars in Galaxy 2

I got a little burnt out playing so much Galaxy. I wanted to keep going, but I didn't have it in me.

I just realized I used the wrong name for the galaxy I was talking about in the OP. It's called the Flip-Swap Galaxy, not the Flipswitch Galaxy. I'll edit that now. And here's a video of some guy playing it, for those of you who haven't played it yet or don't remember:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWDRFM4cgsE

Of course he does it perfectly so it looks easy (even though he only had like 10 seconds left), but you can still see what I was talking about. Also: dat Gusty Garden Galaxy remix music.

Shion

Nintendo's best game since the N64 era.

The only thing missing from the Galaxy games was a glorious and memorable hub world.

Top Bottom