• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Super Mario Galaxy 2 — My body was not ready

Yeah, I started Galaxy 2 in 2012, played the first few worlds, then finished the rest off towads the end of 2013
reached the final boss and did some of the bonus levels as well.
There's still a lot I need to get back and finish, but from what I've played the game was amazing. I feel SMG was a better experience out of the two games, but I think 2 played better and had tighter level design. The first was more memorable though, primarily because it's soundtrack was so good, and I feel the music and levels went so hand in hand it's impossible for me to think of a song from that game and not think of the part of the game it went with, or vice versa.

There was a point during SMG2 where I realised it was quite possible I would never play a better 3D platformer, one as inventive, delightful, fulfilling, even exhaustive. At first I frowned. And then I smiled. Nintendo was marginalised this generation, but not because they forgot how to make superb games.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Best of the best, still unmatched.

Club Nintendo surveys were cited as one of the reasons Paper Mario: Sticker Star was what it was.

I'm quite content with my viewpoint on this matter, thank you very much.

Didn't Miyamoto make some mention of Club Nintendo surveys when people criticized the lack of RPG elements in Paper Mario: Sticker Star? That's the only time I can remember Nintendo commenting on them.

I never played Sticker Star, from what I've heard though it wasn't what people were expecting, what was the comment about Club Nintendo? I usually just rush through the Club Nintendo surveys giving the usual "Good Job", mainly cause I have so many surveys built up.

jblank83

I must be one of the few that liked SMG2 but enjoyed SMG way more. I dont enjoy yoshi and the hub was more fun then the Mario ship and the feel of it being first works better on me

SMG 2 is great but I liked SMG more as well.

You spend more time in each world in SMG. Each world in SMG 2 is very short, 3-4 levels and the levels are short as well. As soon as you're getting into the theme, it's on to the next one. And I like the semi-open explorable worlds in SMG, like the ring water level or the penguin falls level.

Also, agree on the hub. The ship was boring and the overworld map was not good. The overworld map in 3D World is incredible, though. Nintendo did something really great there.

I never played Sticker Star, from what I've heard though it wasn't what people were expecting, what was the comment about Club Nintendo? I usually just rush through the Club Nintendo surveys giving the usual "Good Job", mainly cause I have so many surveys built up.
Sticker Star has basically no story at all (this is actually not an exaggeration, it is in very stark contrast to all other Paper Mario titles), and the Club Nintendo surveys for Super Paper Mario apparently showed that like 90% of the people surveyed did not cite the story as one of the favorite aspects of the game, or something to this effect. This, combined with Miyamoto's incredibly silly "Does an RPG really need a story?" insistence, apparently set the game on its storyline-less road.

There were many other problems with Sticker Star that you can't trace the origin to Club Nintendo surveys, but this, at the very least, shows that somewhere in Nintendo there are people who take them to heart.

Sticker Star has basically no story at all (this is actually not an exaggeration, it is in very stark contrast to all other Paper Mario titles), and the Club Nintendo surveys for Super Paper Mario apparently showed that like 90% of the people surveyed did not cite the story as one of the favorite aspects of the game, or something to this effect. This, combined with Miyamoto's incredibly silly "Does an RPG really need a story?" insistence, apparently set the game on its storyline-less road.

There were many other problems with Sticker Star that you can't trace the origin to Club Nintendo surveys, but this, at the very least, shows that somewhere in Nintendo there are people who take them to heart.

I had heard that the story wasn't all that great, I can't believe CN might have been the cause of it. I also can't believe Nintendo would think a Paper Mario game with no story would be a good idea, story and characters are like the very soul of those games, heck just thinking about the some of the characters makes me want to replay TTYD.

3bdelilah

Banned
I'm guessing you have a different opinion than I do? I can't see what part 2 did better than part 1, besides the Yoshi themes levels according to most (which I relatively disliked as I said before). The Mario Bros. themed world progression was okay, but I much rather have the first one because you can basically see and feel
that you're rebuilding the ship

Azure J

Galaxy 2 is very easily the best Mario game to exist thus far. A total refinement of the concepts brought about in Galaxy while also turning everything on its head from the jump and demanding the best out of your ability to deal with it. EAD Tokyo is a monster and G2 is the current king of their output.

Galaxy 2
3D World
DK: Jungle Beat
3D Land
Galaxy

I've never played a 3D Mario (or Zelda & Metroid) but I'm looking forward to playing both Galaxy's when I get a WiiU in 2-3 weeks.

jwluther

I just beat
Grandmaster Galaxy
for the first time this week.

cAxlKJt.gif

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
if a game ever came close to being perfect, it's this one. Absolutely nothing - nothing - is less than a 10 here

I'm guessing you have a different opinion than I do? I can't see what part 2 did better than part 1, besides the Yoshi themes levels according to most (which I relatively disliked as I said before). The Mario Bros. themed world progression was okay, but I much rather have the first one because you can basically see and feel
that you're rebuilding the ship

Oh no, it's just that I found it odd that you criticised the game for feeling been there, done that, and then praised it for featuring a level featured in a game more than a decade beforehand.

SerodD

No doubt that both Mario Galaxy's are for me the best 3D platformers I have ever played, it's impressive how they we're able to achieve something better than Mario 64.

One of my biggest gaming disappointments ever. The first was my GOTG, but nearly every aspect of Galaxy 2 was underwhelming to me, from the level design to the music. From the abilities of Yoshi to the increased focus on non gravity levels. From the boatloads of prankster comets to the stupid Chimp mini games.

Not that there wasn't some great moments... It was certainly better than 3D Land. 3D World restored my faith in EAD Tokyo though.

I actually played this game for the first time back in early December while waiting for Christmas to arrive with my Wii-U (and Super Mario 3D World, of course!). I was actually blown away by Super Mario Galaxy 2. It's surprising because while I really did enjoy the first Galaxy game, I wasn't really sure what the sequel could do that would make it fresh and interesting. That's one of the reasons why it took me so long to play it - I just wasn't all that excited for it. But... I was sooo wrong. The controls are perfect, the level design is some of the best in the series, and I actually loved the inclusion of Yoshi. He's one of my favorite "Mario" characters, so it was great having him back. And his levels were always super fun (I'm actually disappointed that 3D World doesn't have Yoshi - probably saving that for the inevitable sequel lol).

Griss

I've never understood why some people think Galaxy 2 is better than the first. For such a similar sequel released pretty close to the first to be considered better, it would have to be clearly superior in a ton of ways. I've collected all the stars in both (twice) and I don't see any obviously superior design. I've always preferred the first. I remember how there was years of hype over how they'd turn gravity mechanics into focused Mario levels, and then it released and the answer was pure genius. By comparison, Galaxy 2 felt like more of the same. Plenty of fresh course ideas, but it was more of the same basic gameplay. It can't blow your mind twice.

So, can anyone answer why the consensus seems to be that Galaxy 2 is better?

And these games kinda ruined 3D World for me :(
It's fantastic but it just can't compete.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I think both Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are 10/10 games, but I give the nod to the one that came first.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I've never understood why some people think Galaxy 2 is better than the first. For such a similar sequel released pretty close to the first to be considered better, it would have to be clearly superior in a ton of ways. I've collected all the stars in both (twice) and I don't see any obviously superior design. I've always preferred the first. I remember how there was years of hype over how they'd turn gravity mechanics into focused Mario levels, and then it released and the answer was pure genius. By comparison, Galaxy 2 felt like more of the same. Plenty of fresh course ideas, but it was more of the same basic gameplay. It can't blow your mind twice.

So, can anyone answer why the consensus seems to be that Galaxy 2 is better?

And these games kinda ruined 3D World for me :(
It's fantastic but it just can't compete.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I think both Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are 10/10 games, but I give the nod to the one that came first.

Increased level variety. You weren't stuck getting 7 stars per galaxy, but only 3, and another 3 for the green stars if you wanted to go that far.

Yoshi

Less of a focus on "WOAH! LOOK! THERE'S WEIRD GRAVITY HERE!" and more on actual platforming. Core level design was more interesting. Galaxy 1 had a lot of "run around tiny planet and kill an enemy. Go to next planet and jump on switch. Go to next planet. Kill enemies and jump on moving platform. Go to next planet."

wmlk

Have only played it at the kiosks, but I could sense only the very best from this game. It's the ONLY game that made me keep coming back to Best Buy just to play it for hours.

Seriously, after this game, how would you even make a better game?

Griss

Increased level variety. You weren't stuck getting 7 stars per galaxy, but only 3, and another 3 for the green stars if you wanted to go that far.

Yoshi

Less of a focus on "WOAH! LOOK! THERE'S WEIRD GRAVITY HERE!" and more on actual platforming. Core level design was more interesting. Galaxy 1 had a lot of "run around tiny planet and kill an enemy. Go to next planet and jump on switch. Go to next planet. Kill enemies and jump on moving platform. Go to next planet."

Ah. Thanks for the answer. That says a lot. I simply loved the design of spherical gravity planet platforming so I couldn't get enough of it. I also prefer 5 stars to a stage so that I get to know an area rather than three. I loved the observatory and dislike the simple level select Mario typically uses. And Yoshi did very, very little for me. Didn't like his stages at all. Also wasn't a fan of the cloud suit.

Well, now I know why people have different opinions on the two games. I can totally see why tons of people would prefer the second one now. That was a pretty clear explanation, cheers. Clarified a lot of the differences in my mind.

n64coder

Are the Galaxy games better than Super Mario 64? I've only collected a couple of stars from Sunshine and the Galaxy games before moving on for some reason. I have played Super Mario 64 DS, collected all 120 stars and loved the game.

I need to get back to the Galaxy games at some point.

SMG 2 is great but I liked SMG more as well.

You spend more time in each world in SMG. Each world in SMG 2 is very short, 3-4 levels and the levels are short as well. As soon as you're getting into the theme, it's on to the next one. And I like the semi-open explorable worlds in SMG, like the ring water level or the penguin falls level.

Also, agree on the hub. The ship was boring and the overworld map was not good. The overworld map in 3D World is incredible, though. Nintendo did something really great there.
Maybe I'm misremembering but I recall a few levels that were much larger than levels in Galaxy such as that semi open world beach level, Starshine beach I think. Also didn't most of the worlds have more stars since there were 242 stars compared to Galaxies 121? Personally I'm in the 2> 1 crowd. I found the original Galaxy really got interesting in world 3 with the penguin falls level and the haunted galaxy with Bouldergeist. World 4 was amazing with Gusty Garden which is probably my favorite in the entire game possibly favorite level in the entire Mario series, tbh. World 5 was good but then world 6 was largely remixes of previous levels/ideas. So for me the real good part of Galaxy was worlds 3-5. Meanwhile Galaxy 2 had a lot more interesting and fun levels from start to finish highlights for me being Fluffy Buff, Starshine, Slipsand, Cloudy Court, Boulder Bowl, Throwback, Boss Blitz. I also loved the sheer amount and variety of bosses in this title. They are both amazing games but I felt Galaxy 2 was a lot more refined and was a much more enjoyable experience all around. If I had to rank the 3D Mario titles:
SMG2
SM3DW
SM64
SMG
SM3DL
SMS
I'm hoping EAD Tokyo makes a different flow of 3D Mario for Wii U next. I'd like for them to take on a more open world SMS style game(not setting or sequel just how open world it was) with their creativity I'd love to see what they could come up with. SM3DW particularly amazed me with how well they utilized powerups. Every one of them was fun, used creatively and useful something that is rare in most of the mario titles. Also SMG2 had amazing boss battles granted the 3D series dropped the ball completely on this.

I still think the first game was better.

Aesthetically the levels were way superior. Nothing in Galaxy 2 came close to the magic and grandure of Good Egg, Gusty Gardens etc. A lot of the levels in Galaxy 2 were really boring in this regard.

The levels also felt more varied in length and design. Galaxy 2 felt more like from A to B but while this may be true in some ways for Galaxy 1, the first game mixed things up a lot more. One minute you're running upside down round a planet and the next you were inside a glass gravity chamber.

The only thing I prefer in Galaxy 2 over the first game is Yoshi and I dare say that 3D World is a better from point A to point B platformer than it as well.

PK Gaming

I'm surprised that Galaxy 2 has so much critical acclaim on GAF.

Galaxy 2 threads are pretty refreshing, since everyone is happy.

I never played Super Mario Galaxy 2 because I disliked the first game. I hated not walking right side up and the awkward camera angles and inconsistent gravity on irregularly shaped planets took a lot of the fun out of it for me. Because of this I prefer the 3D_ games a lot more. Does Galaxy 2 fix any of those problems or is it more of the same? How common are the Yoshis?

CassSept

Greatest game of all time. When first Galaxy was released I felt it was an amazing game, but that it could be a little better. 2.5 year later Galaxy 2 came out and not only addressed any complaints I had with the original, but went that extra mile and delivered something so extraordinary that I was absolutely blown away with it. It was basically the perfect game, the most complete game I had ever played. It might had started as a level pack, but through development cycle so much new concepts were introduced to the game that it stands just as well on it's own.

The core of the game was as good. The pace was better. Difficulty curve was better. New ideas were great (Puzzle Plank Galaxy, first proper implementation of Yoshi in 3D, Cloud Mario and I had not even left the first world yet, going on we have such memorable and amazing levels as Light Yoshi and Beat Blocks and Dash Pepper vertical leves...). Soundtrack was amazing and even if it didn't have something as tremendous as Gusty Garden I'd say overall I prefer it to SMG OST. Post-game was absolutely fantastic.

I could go on and on and on. I had incredible amounts of hype for the game, yet the game managed to take my expectations and demolish them with a megaton hammer. It's the most complete package and I barely see any way in which the game could be improved. Amazing experience, a game that only comes once a decade, if not less often.

Not to mention I absolutely adore Edge review of SMG2.

Marvel at the pieces, but appreciate the whole. This isn’t a game that redefines the genre: this is one that rolls it up and locks it away. We’ve come so far, from stepping on mushrooms to drop-kicking meteors into the heart of the sun; Galaxy 2 offers a new understanding of where we’ve been, a new sense of wonder at where we’ll go next.

*chills*

I'm surprised that Galaxy 2 has so much critical acclaim on GAF.

Galaxy 2 threads are pretty refreshing, since everyone is happy.

I remember when the original Galaxy came out it was I think the one game I ever saw that GAF praised in unison. There were barely any naysayers, if any. Everyone gushed over it. It comfortably took GOTY award and smashed the competition in quite a stacked year. It was basically an event, not something you see too often.

Prez

I remember being amazed in SMG1 when the volcano exploded behind Mario in Melty Molten Galaxy. Does SMG2 have moments like that?

I still think the first game was better.

Aesthetically the levels were way superior. Nothing in Galaxy 2 came close to the magic and grandure of Good Egg, Gusty Gardens etc. A lot of the levels in Galaxy 2 were really boring in this regard.

The levels also felt more varied in length and design. Galaxy 2 felt more like from A to B but while this may be true in some ways for Galaxy 1, the first game mixed things up a lot more. One minute you're running upside down round a planet and the next you were inside a glass gravity chamber.

The only thing I prefer in Galaxy 2 over the first game is Yoshi and I dare say that 3D World is a better from point A to point B platformer than it as well.

I pretty much agree with all of this. I think the thing that annoyed me most about Galaxy 2 was the rehashed content from all three previous 3D Mario games. Don't get me wrong, I love Whomp's Fortress, but if I wanted to play that I would pop in Mario 64.

Still have yet to collect all the stars. Will jump back on it once I'm done with 3D World.

But yeah, Galaxy 2, along with Galaxy, are the epitome of gaming bliss.

Shiggy

One of the best games I've ever played, though I much preferred the first part. Nonetheless, Galaxy 2 is still miles better than the rather uninspired and incredibly easy Mario 3D Land - cannot understand why that one got so much praise.

Top Bottom