• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Super Mario Galaxy 2 — My body was not ready

3bdelilah

Banned
Oh no, it's just that I found it odd that you criticised the game for feeling been there, done that, and then praised it for featuring a level featured in a game more than a decade beforehand.
That's the punchline of nostalgia to me. It feels familiar and you can't help but love it due to the past, but sometimes that's just a cheap way to associate a specific game with older, more nostalgic games. So yeah, that's my explanation on my contradiction, haha.

I'd much rather have something entirely new (SMG1) than one big nostalgia trip. Doesn't mean SMG2 was all about nostalgia, it had a few tricks up its sleeve too. But the amount of nostalgic references were just a liiiiiitle bit too high.

Mona

Banned
the pinnacle of 3D platforming alongside the first game, just like the first post said, its all downhill from here

jts

...hate me...
Oh yeah...man they should make a Galaxy/Galaxy2 HD combo pack
Ideally, a trilogy like Metroid Prime on the Wii. New 3rd entry packed with the first 2 remastered.

But I really think some form of it will happen somewhere between late this year and next year, if the Wii U doesn't get its plug pulled meanwhile.

I beat 65-70 stars or so in a single play session.

Needless to say, I loved the game.

I especially loved the late game. Keep playing!

Playing this and SMG (my favorite game ever) really made 3D Land seem boring. Here's to hoping EAD brings it to another level with the next 3D title.

QaaQer

You have seen greatness. Its all downhill from here!

I'm afraid that SMG1&2 has ruined all other 3d platformers for me.

I've just started replaying SMG1, and lord these games are amazing. Too bad 3d World was kinda sucky.

I'm afraid that SMG1&2 has ruined all other 3d platformers for me.

I've just started replaying SMG1, and lord these games are amazing. Too bad 3d World was kinda sucky.

I think Galaxy 1, 2 and 3D World are all pretty much on the same level.

Give or take some preferences here and there (more cinematic gravity-stuff in Galaxy 1, more whacky power ups in 2, 3D world´s well implemented multiplayer/ even more brilliant power ups like the cherry flower)

QaaQer

What evidence do you have to make this claim?

There was a developer quote which I cannot find right now, that pretty much said the same thing as what they said their goals were for 3d Land. Something along the lines of they wanted to make it so everyone could finish. And there was a thread a few days ago about how a six year old beat the game, so they obviously succeeded.

I am gonna get this and the first one very soon. I too want to experience greatness!

Reason being my younger sister's Wii is gathering dust somewhere and I am going to borrow it for a spell to play these games now that she only plays on her PS3.

Farmboy

I've never understood why some people think Galaxy 2 is better than the first. For such a similar sequel released pretty close to the first to be considered better, it would have to be clearly superior in a ton of ways.

Sure, SMG1 was more innovative, had more impact. In fact, I remember my initial disappointment with the announcement of such a straight, similar sequel as the next Mario. But that effect has lessened now that both titles have been out for a while. At this point it's a simple matter of putting them next to one another and seeing which had the better, more varied levels and mechanics. To me, that's clearly SMG2.

So even though I'm inclined to agree with you that it's not that much better, to the extent that it had the same 'holy shit!' impact all over again, it does, simply put, take the cake.

danielcw

I've never understood why some people think Galaxy 2 is better than the first. For such a similar sequel released pretty close to the first to be considered better, it would have to be clearly superior in a ton of ways. I've collected all the stars in both (twice) and I don't see any obviously superior design. I've always preferred the first. I remember how there was years of hype over how they'd turn gravity mechanics into focused Mario levels, and then it released and the answer was pure genius. By comparison, Galaxy 2 felt like more of the same. Plenty of fresh course ideas, but it was more of the same basic gameplay. It can't blow your mind twice.

If Galaxy 2 did just one thing better than the first without being worse anywhere else, it would be the better game.

Why is it so important, that a game blows your mind?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Without a doubt, SMG2 is a fantastic game, but I swear, I must be the only one on this board that prefers the first one.

Y'all need to work on your taste!

If Galaxy 2 did just one thing better than the first without being worse anywhere else, it would be the better game.

Why is it so important, that a game blows your mind?

They're both amazing games. I prefer the first and probably not because its technically better, but because the second didn't blow my mind like the first did, despite 2 being the 'better' game by some other measures.

I just passed 80 stars last night. It is so satisfying to see the little crown next to a world.

Some of those prankster comet levels are so brutal. I still haven't gotten my ass kicked as hard as that Flip-Swap Galaxy comet I described in the OP, but some of them came close. The Chompworks comet with all those goddamn clones chasing you was one of them. My lord.

maxcriden

I just passed 80 stars last night. It is so satisfying to see the little crown next to a world.

Some of those prankster comet levels are so brutal. I still haven't gotten my ass kicked as hard as that Flip-Swap Galaxy comet I described in the OP, but some of them came close. The Chompworks comet with all those goddamn clones chasing you was one of them. My lord.

You have one of my favorite levels still coming up I think. Hint: it might also involve those clones....

Gamerloid

You're making me want to play the game again! Those prankster comets are just so random. One I can clear easily, then another that's just so brutally hard to me.

I also know that satisfying feeling of the crown. Very happy I fully completed the game.

Farmboy

Without a doubt, SMG2 is a fantastic game, but I swear, I must be the only one on this board that prefers the first one.

Y'all need to work on your taste!

Can totally see that, even if I disagree. The original had a bit more epic set pieces, a slightly better soundtrack (although in this case it's more impressive that they came up with some completely new music that's almost as good for the sequel) and slightly better bosses (though those do show up in the sequel and I prefer SMG2's Bowser fight). Also: the red star is a cool endgame gift. I'd say that's it, but I gather there's some folks who preferred the overall level designs of SMG1.

But it's the 1-was-more-mindblowing-therefore-superior aspect that shouldn't be an issue anymore for those LTTP.

eXistor

I'm also in the Galaxy 1>2 camp myself. I simply prefer the way Galaxy 1 was set up, Galaxy 2's linearity hurt the game imo. It felt restrictive, as amazing as most of the levels were. SM3DW is a much better example of how linear Mario should work and I'd rank that over Galaxy 2 as well.

But let's be clear: Galaxy 2 is a classic that no one should miss.

It feels a lot like a Galaxy 1 expansion pack. I didn't see the huge changes everyone always talks about, to me the games seem pretty much indistinguishable. That said, that doesn't stop it being fantastic. I think 1 edges it out slightly, but it's still head and shoulders above most games.

jimi_dini

There are some levels that are so impressively diabolical I was convinced a James Bond villain designed them.

Haha, that's foreplay.

soon...

Jtrizzy

what's the best way to control these games? I've been rolling along pretty well with the 360 controller, but having the pointer in the middle of the screen at all times sucks. I've actually been taping it down when I don't use it, which is the majority of the time.

I was thinking the PS4 controller maybe...maybe use the touch screen or gyros for something? Not sure how difficult that would be to set up but I need something to tilt for the Ray Surfing level, as well as the level where you roll around on the ball.

But yeah these games are amazing, and incredibly beautiful at 1080p. I'd give anything to play these with no pointer controls, 1080p60 on a Nintendo console. 1080p really makes a big difference between U games compared to Dolphin.

TaiKH92

Banned
One of my 20 favorite games of all time, my body was not Reggie for it. But it needed more Yoshi levels and the observatory, which I missed.

Spoilers:
Bowser kidnaps Peach

maxcriden

what's the best way to control these games? I've been rolling along pretty well with the 360 controller, but having the pointer in the middle of the screen at all times sucks. I've actually been taping it down when I don't use it, which is the majority of the time.

I was thinking the PS4 controller maybe...maybe use the touch screen or gyros for something? Not sure how difficult that would be to set up but I need something to tilt for the Ray Surfing level, as well as the level where you roll around on the ball.

But yeah these games are amazing, and incredibly beautiful at 1080p. I'd give anything to play these with no pointer controls, 1080p60 on a Nintendo console. 1080p really makes a big difference between U games compared to Dolphin.

Dolphin supports Wiimote + Nunchuk, though, right? That control scheme works perfectly for these games.

Blink Me

I think I'm on the final world now but I've been enjoying. Love how you can play as Luigi as well that was a nice surprise.

TaiKH92

Banned
Still waiting for Rosalina (meine waifu) Returns: Super Mario Galaxy III.
Being serious, I'd like another Mario platformer with more open world design like Mario 64.

I just beat The Magnificent Magma Sea 6-1. By far the most epic lava stage since RE4! Koizumi is a genius. Cant wait to see what he would do if given a chance to take over with next gen Zelda.

Yoshi alone makes this better than SMG1. The fact you can use Luigi makes it a no brainer. The only thing i miss is the luma storybook that almost made me shed a tear.

i dont like how you cant accumulate lives and whats with all the prankster comets?

Top Bottom