• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Last of Us II feels like it drags on too long

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I agree. Great game but pacing is long in the tooth. Enjoyed the first playthrough quite a bit but realized the pacing was just not going to work for a second playthrough.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I can relate to people who feel some narrative driven games beeing to long. Personally speaking GoW Reboot was 3 hours to long and Part 2 was about 5 hours to long.

Developers have this approach of filling their games with unnecessary content to justify the price. They don't need it.
They don't need it but are constantly hounded with questions about game length, as if that is the priority. So tired of hearing and seeing "how long is this game??". It's a fair question, but I don't like the idea of dev's prioritizing game length on account of fan feedback.

Last edited:
Love the game but ND could either have:
1) Shortened Abbys sections. Day 1 Abby is a waste. Then you can fill it with more Ellie. She could have faced far more infected bosses.

2) Alternate between Ellie and Abby chapters like common storytelling method in books. Figure out how that works gameplay wise would be tough.

Reactions: Fbh

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
For me it was a slog from the start, with a slow story filled with unlikable characters. Dropped it at Ellie's Day 2 or 3 and the only cool parts where the museum flashback (which is peak movie game, but it was cool) and one encounter in a residential area against dudes and doggos.

Maybe it gets better later, but if the game doesn't catch me in the first few hours, good bye.

Valentino

The playtesters still hated her so they kept twisting what happened in TLOU1 to make it fit, changing scenes and adding stuff.

Big awful mess but it worked on some brainless twits and they will be here soon defending it (if they are not here already).
Brainless? You’ve absolutely just made pure shit up about some playtesters and their opinions and how it supposedly has the developers changing and twisting scenes from the first. Did they? Did theyyyy? Well I’ve found no info, no article talking about this. So you just lied? So you want to talk about people will “soon be in here defending it” - well same goes for people like you who are straight in here with the basically absolute weird nonsense. Yes it’s abundant Abby has her haters - but from what you say, if players still hated her, whys she in the game still? Sounds like an idea a developer would move on from, no?

Valentino

Abby's campaign should've been an expansion like Lost Legacy.
Let’s be real - you’d all be absolutely whining how it should have been part of the main game. And you’ll have your “I’m not paying Sony again for practically Last of Us 2.5 - this is miles morales all over again!”
Tell me that wouldn’t happen
Lost Legacy had it - it was abundantly clear that game started as DLC but became a really great expansion - still had daft people exclaiming it’s just “more of Uncharted 4”
This is why we can’t have nice things

Absolutely love the game, but I did feel it was too long. The final bit made me put it down for the rest of the day. I wasn't up for another leg of the journey at that point.

Last edited:

SCB3

It has a couple of chapters too long, the whole California part should have been cut, why did Ellie travel all that way and give up her now fine life, to persue someone she'd already let go , just to save her, fight her and then just let her go again?

I didn’t really like the Seattle section either. I wish modern games would stop trying to make EVERYTHING more open. The gameplay should fit the narrative here. Linear.
Thankfully the rest of the game is not a bunch of mini open world areas.

I had the same issue with the uncharted 4 DLC adventure, and I never finished it.

However the wide levels like they made in the rest of the game are amazing and they make the game more replayable and fun to explore.

Fbh

Worst than UC4. In fact, UC4 pacing totally destroyed the game inself.

Lost Legacy on the other hand is so much better with the pacing.

Yeah the Lost Legacy is the only Ps4 ND game with good pacing. It's one of the main reason it's my favorite game they released this gen.

brenobnfm

Let’s be real - you’d all be absolutely whining how it should have been part of the main game. And you’ll have your “I’m not paying Sony again for practically Last of Us 2.5 - this is miles morales all over again!”
Tell me that wouldn’t happen
Lost Legacy had it - it was abundantly clear that game started as DLC but became a really great expansion - still had daft people exclaiming it’s just “more of Uncharted 4”
This is why we can’t have nice things

I did not complain about Lost Legacy being DLC, i loved it, and if it was integrated on U4 campaign, i would've hated, so you're talking nonsense. And of course Abby's campaign as DLC wouldn't be the exact same thing we got in the game, it was just the overall idea that it would be absolutely better as a separated thing from the main game, as Ellie's campaign alone is bigger than Uncharted 4.

Woman7

Banned
Anyone else remember how FUCKING AWESOME this scene was

Definitely! Incredible gameplay. Naughty Gods.

netflix binge watch GIF

Roufianos

Way too long and atrociously paced. Not only in terms of the boring, pretentious walker simulator parts but also how it builds to a climax halfway then sets you back 12 hours.

That's just my opinion though. Clearly many loved it.

Last edited:

dan76

Just finished it after getting it for Christmas. I did enjoy it, but I agree with the pacing issues. The early flashback with Ellie at the museum was fine, but then the game started having flashbacks within flashbacks... which was awful. Most of those were extended conversations I'd never want to "play" through again. A truly terrible sex scene, jeez, guitar playing... what a drag. Starting over as Abby, switching between characters, it's a bit of a mess compared to the streamlined story of the first game. Knowing the outcome of characters you are having to have long boring conversations with makes them even more tedious. It's always better not to know.

But taken as a whole it works for me. By the end of the game I preferred Abby, I can't fathom why they didn't give you a choice at the end. It's a big bloated epic game with good and bad - the rubbish parts are mainly story and stricture related. Could've done with some more enemy variety, an extra boss fight or something, but the gameplay and gun feedback is amazing.

It's not the story I wanted to play, and I don't have the desire to play it again. Maybe in a year on a higher difficulty. Some of those game modifiers look fun.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

It did go on a bit too long, could’ve been condensed/less on your face about the point the story is trying to make. It was still fun the entire time and the other perspective during the events was cool. It just got a little long in the tooth.

Entroyp

I felt the same. The first half was absolutely amazing but the second half felt like it dragged too much.

RyRy93

No it doesnt. Learn to recognize and appreciate greatness when you see it. Its polished to perfection.

Where are these complaints for bland repetitive open world drivel like Ass Creed?
Literally every thread regarding open world games, Ass Creed is probably the most commonly used nickname for a franchise for a reason.

Last edited:

tassletine

Damn right it does. The story has literally has nothing to say after the halfway part and the ending is so overly dramatic it's comical. It just keeps trying to top it's self and ends up silly.

Madflavor

It's a fine story, but it's kind of embarrassing when you see people calling it a masterpiece. Games can have good stories, but the best video games stories aren't even close to being in the same league as the best stories from books and film. Gamers want to talk about having this kind of art taken seriously, and yet the biggest reason why we watch The Game Awards ceremony, is for new game reveal trailers.

A Masterpiece is the highest level of recognition an art form can achieve. Saying it's a great game or GoTY is one thing. But when you call TLoU2 a "masterpiece", you're putting it on the same wavelength as stories like Sophie's Choice, Shawshank Redemption, Schindler's List, The Godfather, Seven Samurai, or Lawrence of Arabia, and you sound like a fool. It may not make sense to you now, but 10 years from now, I guarantee a good portion of the "ooooh my God it's suuuch a profound and sublime masterpiece" crowd, are gonna look back on TLoU2 and realize, it was just a video game.

Last edited:

Raimond

I thought I had hit the ending three times... Definitely the game that wouldn't end (in not so much a good way). Still love the game, but it was really two games that could've been separated (yes I know there is more value this way, but I feel it was just TOO much). I swear I played like two epilogues too lol.

Self

They don't need it but are constantly hounded with questions about game length, as if that is the priority

Yes, that's what I mean. They are practically forced by a vocal majority to 'stretch' their games/fill it with content. I really do appreciate games around the 8-12 hour mark.
If the game is good enough people will play them over again anyways.
It's a really stupid trend at the moment.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Brainless? You’ve absolutely just made pure shit up about some playtesters and their opinions and how it supposedly has the developers changing and twisting scenes from the first. Did they? Did theyyyy? Well I’ve found no info, no article talking about this. So you just lied? So you want to talk about people will “soon be in here defending it” - well same goes for people like you who are straight in here with the basically absolute weird nonsense. Yes it’s abundant Abby has her haters - but from what you say, if players still hated her, whys she in the game still? Sounds like an idea a developer would move on from, no?

?

This came directly from the Jason Schreier TLOU2 article. It came out before the game was released so we didn't know it was about Abby and the WLF until the game was out. They kept adding stuff to make her likable but still failed miserably.

Obviously it worked on you. Save your tears.

iorek21

I'm torn about this, really.

On one hand, the game feels to drag a little, since there are basically two campaigns in one game. On the other, it feels like it was worth the money; better to pay $60 for a high quality package than $60 on something like RE3 Remake.

GhostOfTsu

Banned

I just want to add that Abby was not supposed to be the doctor's daughter at first. She was supposed to have met Joel and Tommy before TLOU1 but then they decided to make it fit with TLOU1 so that's why they made those fake flashbacks showing the good side of the zebra doctor and her daughter Abby.

We all know that's not what really happened and the fireflies/random NPC doctor were not good people. At all. Joel was right to save her but they framed it as bad in TLOU2 to make Abby look good.

All this can be verified in interviews from Neil himself so you can take your weird accusations elsewhere. They played you like a fiddle. Bye.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i agree. just drags on and on. classic druckmann thinking he is some kind of genius but he's just wafflin on pulling crap out his ass. leave that shit to kojima cause he can actually make a half decent game.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
it could have been a bit shorter,
but in retrospect it was much needed for the payoff at the end.
to make people doubt etc...

so i don't think it should have been shorter..
but they could have changed some parts to be a bit more engaging.

still this game is so far far far above anything i played in a looong time..
there is just not a better filmlike game out there right now..

ethomaz

Banned
Let’s play 4 hours games lol

I don’t remember if I played over 20 hours to beat my first playthought.

It definitely could not be smaller story wise... maybe some changes but the story have to be how it is.
It let somethings open to DLC so it could be a bigger story imo.

The buggies issue with the game is the lack of MP Factions... it is halt of the game it could be.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think the first half kinda dragged... but then I feel I "understood" the game and it's awesome.
The pacing might drag a bit but it's worth it

Slurmer

Banned
I was totally on board for like 30 of 32 hours, but admittedly started to wonder if the game would ever end after arriving at the farm. The initial fight with Abby had me on the edge of my seat and if I had my way the game would have ended there.

Still though, 10/10 GOTY.

kyussman

I honestly enjoyed the structure of the game.....it felt a bit different to the norm.I play lots of games so whenever a game does something a bit different I tend to always try and find the positive in it.
Yea,the flashback segments could be a bit slow,but it's not like there wasn't enough present day parts to make up for it....the whole game had a shit load of content,I mean it was basically two games in one.....I don't know about anyone else but I didn't see that coming at all and it felt pretty amazing when I set out as Abby and realised there was a whole new upgrade path for her....I love it when games do something unexpected,so many games are by the numbers these days.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Once you get the gist of it, any backtracking feels tacked on for filler. “Oh great, now we have to start at the beginning again”. It’s great when games shorten things up. Obvious quests or plots in the story are mixed up with different outcomes or fast forwarding things in today’s AAA games, right? The 2nd part TLoU2 just does it without asking if anyone cares. I’m surprised we didn’t get to see how they used the rest room in this post apocalyptic world.

The beginning of Cyberpunk took a lot the “boring” stuff away at the start with a bunch of music spoiler stuff. It sums up the long haul to build up to where the game wants you to feel like everything started. I like it, but in a way it’s a story told too many times. Remember when character building was the tie in mini comic?

TLoU2 has a Game of Thrones style of story. One that you’ll gladly remember when it’s brought up, but it doesn’t feel natural in terms of explaining the best stories in gaming. The best stories in gaming are told along the journey or they’re told by traveling in the world.

I liked the plot in TLoU2, but I could seriously play the last part with the sound on mute. Nothing really noteworthy except solid gameplay. It felt like tackling cut content without the same amount of pay off. Some of the levels during the 2nd half are pretty good, if not they felt out of place.

I liked the game, but I’m not exactly thinking I’ll go back and replay it. There’s too much creative content in the future to look forward to.

Top Bottom